PDA

View Full Version : Ford brake controler ???

Bill
04-23-2010, 04:10 PM
I have a 2010 F250...question, with the integrated brake controller, will that work on my boat trailer that has electric over hydraulic??? Some say yes, some say no... Do I need to install a Tekonsha P3 to run those brakes and disconnect the factory controller??? My trailer is currently in Green Bay, WI, so I can't try it out...

Thanks!!

cpmarine
04-23-2010, 08:59 PM
Depends on the actuator on the trailer. Mine works with some trailers but I bought a Draw Tite controller that works with all brands. My in dash unit also kept flashing trailer disconnected when I hit the brakes.

Blue Oval
04-23-2010, 10:16 PM
Do not know, if no answer by the first of the week let me know and I can look it up.

Bill
04-24-2010, 09:51 AM
Depends on the actuator on the trailer. Mine works with some trailers but I bought a Draw Tite controller that works with all brands. My in dash unit also kept flashing trailer disconnected when I hit the brakes.

I have a Tekonsha PS new in the box, but would prefer to not have to install it. I guess I have to wait until I get the boat/trailer back... Isn't electric/hydraulic just that?? meaning either it will or won't work? not being a wise ass, just curious...

Thanks!

Bill
04-24-2010, 09:51 AM
Do not know, if no answer by the first of the week let me know and I can look it up.

Thank you very much!!

fixxxer22
04-24-2010, 10:54 PM
if it is electric and the circuit is properly wired and it worked with an aftermarket controller. then yes there should be no problems. they work the same way and the system is superior to any other system.

Blue Oval
04-25-2010, 09:35 AM
Fixxxer is right, should work fine.

cpmarine
04-25-2010, 06:20 PM
Not always Bill. I have had problems where it would work but not properly. I have also noticed a delay with the OEM controller. The aftermarket controller doesn't have that delay.

Bill
04-25-2010, 06:56 PM
Fixxer, the trailer is not straight electric, it is electric over hydraulic and I know a regular add on brake controller will not work, you need one specifically for the electric/hydraulic. That is why I have the Tekonsha P3.

Problem I am seeing is if I have to install my controller is where to put it. there is no good place that I can see in the truck...

fixxxer22
04-25-2010, 08:59 PM
And with the tow command there is no harness to tie into. Just give it a shot. It should run it no problem. it is such an awesome system. would be silly if it did not work.

Bill
04-26-2010, 07:24 AM
And with the tow command there is no harness to tie into. Just give it a shot. It should run it no problem. it is such an awesome system. would be silly if it did not work.

I will definately try it, nothing to lose and trust me, I am really hoping it works!!! Thanks!

BGIII
04-26-2010, 08:06 AM
If your controller on your trailer is a Brakerite brand, you may need to add this adaptor to the trailer.

http://www.southwestwheel.com/store/showproduct.aspx?ProductID=3859&SEName=ford-chevy-brakerite-sd-adapter

Bill
04-26-2010, 07:01 PM
If your controller on your trailer is a Brakerite brand, you may need to add this adaptor to the trailer.

http://www.southwestwheel.com/store/showproduct.aspx?ProductID=3859&SEName=ford-chevy-brakerite-sd-adapter

Intersting! Thanks for the info! I will check as well when I get the boat/trailer back!

Fossil Fuel
04-29-2010, 03:56 AM
I have tow command wih a brakerite unit on my trailer. I tow with a F-450 and a F-350. Both trucks have tow command and It works great! No adaptor. The disconnect light comes on when your ground on your trailer is faulty. The unit must have a good ground..not through the ball.

Bill
04-29-2010, 09:52 PM
I have tow command wih a brakerite unit on my trailer. I tow with a F-450 and a F-350. Both trucks have tow command and It works great! No adaptor. The disconnect light comes on when your ground on your trailer is faulty. The unit must have a good ground..not through the ball.

STILLLLLL waiting to get my boat/trailer back, has been gone for a month now! Anyway, as soon as it gets delivered, I will be anxious to try out the Ford Braking system! While I have only put about 40 miles on the truck, I love it!!!!:USA:

Bill
05-15-2010, 10:02 AM
Well, my boat FINALLY came home after being gone for 6 weeks and after they backed my boat into my building, I backed my truck up to it and hooked up the wiring. it recognized the trailer, but I did not take it anywhere, just left it in the building. So far, so good!!

fixxxer22
05-15-2010, 10:02 AM
Tow command rocks! hope it works 100% for you

Bill
05-16-2010, 11:02 AM

Thanks! Hopefully weather holds and I will get the Formula out next weekend! There was ALOT of debris out yesterday down in Andalusia! Good thing I only had the little boat out!!

DAREDEVIL
05-16-2010, 11:33 AM
Thanks! Hopefully weather holds and I will get the Formula out next weekend! There was ALOT of debris out yesterday down in Andalusia! Good thing I only had the little boat out!!

Mind me asking,,where is Andalusia ?????:rolleyes:

fixxxer22
05-16-2010, 12:05 PM
I was out all day friday. saw a telephone pole in the river and 2 trees but no little stuff. i went from LeClaire to princeton then to the sand pumps, then to clinton. and back. had a good day.

Bill
05-17-2010, 07:28 AM
Mind me asking,,where is Andalusia ?????:rolleyes:

Andalusia, IL. It is just west of Moline, IL on the Mississippi River. I currently live in Davenport, IA which is across the river from Moline.

Bill
05-17-2010, 07:30 AM
I was out all day friday. saw a telephone pole in the river and 2 trees but no little stuff. i went from LeClaire to princeton then to the sand pumps, then to clinton. and back. had a good day.

I am not wondering if they opened the roolers on 15 while we were out, early afternoon, not much crap at all, but a few hours later, holy crap, it was BAD!!!

Trim'd Up
05-17-2010, 09:40 AM
You guys are sending all of your crap down my way! ;) The river here is damn near a log jam. I wouldn't even take out the jon boat right now.

Bill
05-17-2010, 07:33 PM
You guys are sending all of your crap down my way! ;) The river here is damn near a log jam. I wouldn't even take out the jon boat right now.

Don't worry, we are still keeping the dead bodies up here!!! lol a couple of fisherman just recovered a body Saturday out on the river!

Bill
05-23-2010, 09:30 AM

Worked FLAWLESSLY!!!!!!!!!! :driving: