PDA

View Full Version : Old performance boats gathered

Scotty B
04-22-2010, 11:49 AM
I was out at a piece of property in the middle of nowhere where a guy collects old performance boats. It was amazing some of the stuff that was out at his
"boat farm" her are some pics

Scotty B
04-22-2010, 11:51 AM
more,

Scotty B
04-22-2010, 11:52 AM
There was more stuff covered up, but you get the idea

FastDonzi
04-22-2010, 11:53 AM
More Please....

I Like the 19 Nova with the SeaDrive, Never seen that before. Whats this guy do with these boats????? Wasp Farming?

phragle
04-22-2010, 11:53 AM
Is that one of Brownie's old 19's? and what kind of drive is that? never seen anything like it...

phragle
04-22-2010, 11:54 AM
guess FD answered my question....

Scotty B
04-22-2010, 11:57 AM
He is threatening to restore them and some work is being done but its overwelming, this is all in his yard

Chummy
04-22-2010, 12:41 PM
What about Still Crazy? wasn't that boat at a another yard not too long ago?

Crash-Box
04-22-2010, 12:48 PM
I believe that that is Cadillac McDaniels back yard, He had just
recently purchased "Still Crazy".

Go Cadillac !!!!! :driving:

ChiefApache
04-22-2010, 12:49 PM
Some cool stuff! I bet he's got stuff laying around everywhere.

Chris
04-22-2010, 12:53 PM
That Bertram was on Ebay about a month ago.

Gladhe8er
04-22-2010, 01:25 PM
If the "American Pickers" were into this type of stuff they would be in heaven.

Brownie
04-22-2010, 02:29 PM
That's Caddy's stuff.....

Scotty B
04-22-2010, 02:33 PM
I believe that that is Cadillac McDaniels back yard,

Yep, I didn't post it because I wanted to see how long it would be until someone recognized it LOL

Mike A.
04-22-2010, 03:38 PM
Is the boat in the upper left hand corner an old Magnum???

MOBILEMERCMAN
04-22-2010, 03:44 PM
I would like to see more of Still Crazy.. That thing is a ride.

Yea, Mike it looks like an old duck bill Magnum tunnel. Cool stuff.

wannabe
04-22-2010, 03:47 PM
Is the boat in the upper left hand corner an old Magnum???

I don't think Magnum made that kind of outboarf

I think the Magnum is the middle boat in the second post. OOps no thats the Bertram

I wonder what the boat is with the "bowtie" cutouts on the engine hatches?

Wannabe

MOBILEMERCMAN
04-22-2010, 03:52 PM
I think the Magnum is the middle boat in the second post.

Wannabe

Magnum made an Outboard tunnel in the 60's that looks like one in the top left corner as Mike A pointed out. The one you mentioned looks to me like a different view of the Bertram.
The Bow tie hatches looks like a 41 Apache.

Mike A.
04-22-2010, 03:58 PM
I would like to see more of Still Crazy.. That thing is a ride.

Yea, Mike it looks like an old duck bill Magnum tunnel. Cool stuff.

Here is a funny story: When I was five years old in 1968 my dad had one of those Magnums. It had a 125 Merc and ran in the 60's. The boat was so small inside that the throttle was mounted on the outside of the hull. Anyway, my mom refused to allow him to take me in the boat, until one weekend late that summer she said it was ok to go for a ride from the hotel we were staying at (the old Port of Call in Tierra Verde, St. Pete) back to the marina (Maximo Moorings). Ten minute ride max. This would be my first high performance boat ride ever!

Well, from the time we planed off until we got to the marina channel I freakin' screamed and cried my head off!!! My slightly older sister, who was sitting next to me, laughed at me the entire time. I still have this vivid picture of this huge cabin cruiser coming up behind us as we were slowing down to enter the marina channel. All I could think of was that we were going to get run over!! 42 years later I remember that boat ride like it was last weekend.

The story did have a happy ending though as it got me over my fear of performance boating at an early age. And the rest, as they say, is history!:seeya:

Footnote - to add insult to injury, my dad just walked in my office so I showed him the pic of the Magnum. And guess wha the first thing out of his mouth was? "Remember that crazy little boat? Hahahahaha, how about the time I took you for a ride and you screamed and cried the whole way?" And this whole time I thought he couldn't hear me.

THEJOKER
04-22-2010, 04:03 PM
If the "American Pickers" were into this type of stuff they would be in heaven. If they knew what they were looking at. I love that show!

Mike A.
04-22-2010, 04:04 PM
I don't think Magnum made that kind of outboarf

I think the Magnum is the middle boat in the second post. OOps no thats the Bertram

Wannabe

Yep, Magnum did make a little outboard tunnel hull back in the 1960's. I think it went by the name of "Missile" and maybe at one point "Maltese" as well. In fact, when we were building our 28' Maltese race boat in 1975 we visited the Magnum factory and saw several of the old tunnel hulls, or plugs, stacked in a field behind the building.

THEJOKER
04-22-2010, 04:04 PM
I climbed over the fence at the Cigarette Factory mold yard one time. I spent hours in there.

Mike A.
04-22-2010, 04:14 PM
I climbed over the fence at the Cigarette Factory mold yard one time. I spent hours in there.

...smokin' pot.:sifone:

Scotty B
04-22-2010, 04:16 PM
Mike, its a 16 ft Magnum missile. You can still find them for sale

ChiefApache
04-22-2010, 04:18 PM
...smokin' pot.:sifone:

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Mike A.
04-22-2010, 04:23 PM
Mike, its a 16 ft Magnum missile. You can still find them for sale

Oh, thanks Scotty. So what, you want me to relive a childhood nightmare? Thanks buddy, reeeeeeeally appreciate it.:kiss:

Back in the day of our little Missile, the biggest engine Merc built was the 125,
known then as the 1250, but the decals then were red. What engine is on the back of the one in the pic?

Mike A.
04-22-2010, 04:26 PM
Here you go:

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&VideoID=14804296

And a short history copied from another site:

BIG BAD DONZI 02-22-2004 12:04 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Lenny: The following is the best recollection I have of the Magnum Missile saga:
When my dad came back from Europe in 63-64 he spoke about these great Molinari cats that he had seen and how great they looked, ran and handled. Fast forward to the summer of 67 when we were racing in Europe. During that time, Don once again had the opportunity to watch the Molinari cats in action and this time he ordered two to be delivered to him in North Miami Beach, either at Magnum or to one of his little work/test shops. He had spent the day with Francesco and/or Vincenzo and they had introduced him to Angelo Molinari.
To quote from the Fort Lauderdale News, January 26, 1968 by Johnny Wilson, Outdoor News Editor who had interviewed Dad - "Take one of the finest Italian-designed and made outboard racing runabouts, revise it a bit and put it through the American production gamut and what do you have? You have the new Maltese Magnum 16, a fiberglass blending of the best qualities of the world's finest racing catamarans- the original race-winning design by Molinari of Italy with improvements and solid fiberglass construction by Magnum of Miami, as proven by Don Aronow, the current world champ in offshore powerboat racing.
Aronow's newest creation (which was just released at the recent Miami Boat Show) will have it first Broward showing today, tomorrow and Sunday at Everglades Marina, where selective demonstrations will be given all three days by factory representatives.
The first American showing of this three year old Italian design was old number 888 which Roy Ridgell of the Kiekhaefer Mercury team drove to a smahing sixth overall with a single engine in the last Miami-Palm Beach version of the Gold Coast Marathon.
But Aronow saw the boats in action while he was touring Europe last summer on his way to the world driving title, and bought a couple for study. The Molinari had won the rugged 6 hour Marathon of Paris two straight years, and even Aronow was impressed. He and the Magnum development team analyzed them from stem to stern and after months of testing, revising and re-designing the twin-keel Maltese magnum 16 went into production.
Of one piece laminated high impact fiberglass, the hull has an aerogynamically designed tunnel from bow to transom and the typical "droop snoot" silhouette configuration of the top European racing rigs.
Aronow says 'She's an incomparable ski boat, a thrilling personal boat and a born to win racing boat - a finer boat than any of the champions from which she was created' ".
This article was titled MAGUNM 16: SUCCESSFUL BY-PRODUCT OF ITALIAN HULL and was printed below two black and white pictures of the Missile, one in our driveway on a trailer and one running with its Merc 125 (the 1250) outboard.
Lenny, the picture you have posted looks exactly like the Magnum Missile 16'.
A year or two later, Glastron's Bob Hammond put Art Carlson and Mr. Molinari together and they began building the Glastron-Carlson-Molinari line of small outboard cats. All three men - true powerboating legends.
To my eye, the Magnum was the winner. It was built with all of those little extras that always made Dad's boats special. It was carpeted and had those 4 comfortable back to back bucket seats and so on. Jim was not involved with Magnum at that time.
Dad had this idea of using the Missile to get from our home in Coral Gables to Magnum on 188th Street in order to avoid the daily traffic. He tried it a few times but decided a comfortable car trumped the pounding and the wetness.
I have these great shots of the Missile including my favorite with Don and Vincenzo running in the bay behind our home when Vincenzo visited.
Dad sold Magnum to Apeco (the American Photocopy Equipment Company) owned by friends Bobby and Clayton Rautbord with Clayton in charge shortly thereafter. The Missile never really got off the ground after the sale. (Socialite Sugar Rautbord was Clayton's wife)
Hope this has helped answer a lot of Missile questions.
(and Ranman, did not see your post, but thanks for the help)
Michael

MOBILEMERCMAN
04-22-2010, 04:28 PM
In the 80's when I started working on boats there was on of the Magnum tunnels in the boatel. It never moved I wanted to by it. I ended up buying an STV instead..

MOBILEMERCMAN
04-22-2010, 04:29 PM
What engine is on the back of the one in the pic?

It just may be that 1250

jet
04-22-2010, 08:00 PM
tower of power

FastDonzi
04-22-2010, 09:01 PM

if you jumped two more fences to the west you could have got some bales:sifone:

THEJOKER
04-22-2010, 09:16 PM
...smokin' pot.:sifone: I saved that for the milling area - haha.

tommymonza
04-22-2010, 09:53 PM
When i 1st moved down to Naples in 84 from Michigan i was cruising around the Gulf in my little 18 vee when a guy came screaming up to me in a missle with a 235 Johnson.He wanted to run so ran we did.I was shocked he was able to stay with me when the going got a little rough.
Afterwards we BSed and he was a cool guy and than he asked me if i wanted to switch boats for 10 minutes.I said sure since my boat would only run 60 and was indistructable and i had never driven anything wild like his.

We ended up driving each others boats all afternnon and had a ball racing around.Reminded me of the early little 18 Skaters only couldn't take as much rough stuff as they could.

The name of his Missle was T.F. Awesome. the Missle also had the plywood insert fordeck like the 27 Sports had. Neat boat probaly was running 75-80 with the 235 with an undersized prop.

DAREDEVIL
04-22-2010, 10:10 PM
Where is this,,,i need to see this stuff....NICE !!!!!!!!!!:cheers2:

lucky strike
04-22-2010, 11:37 PM
Here is a funny story: When I was five years old in 1968 my dad had one of those Magnums. It had a 125 Merc and ran in the 60's. The boat was so small inside that the throttle was mounted on the outside of the hull. Anyway, my mom refused to allow him to take me in the boat, until one weekend late that summer she said it was ok to go for a ride from the hotel we were staying at (the old Port of Call in Tierra Verde, St. Pete) back to the marina (Maximo Moorings). Ten minute ride max. This would be my first high performance boat ride ever!

Well, from the time we planed off until we got to the marina channel I freakin' screamed and cried my head off!!! My slightly older sister, who was sitting next to me, laughed at me the entire time. I still have this vivid picture of this huge cabin cruiser coming up behind us as we were slowing down to enter the marina channel. All I could think of was that we were going to get run over!! 42 years later I remember that boat ride like it was last weekend.

The story did have a happy ending though as it got me over my fear of performance boating at an early age. And the rest, as they say, is history!:seeya:

Footnote - to add insult to injury, my dad just walked in my office so I showed him the pic of the Magnum. And guess wha the first thing out of his mouth was? "Remember that crazy little boat? Hahahahaha, how about the time I took you for a ride and you screamed and cried the whole way?" And this whole time I thought he couldn't hear me.

Thats good stuff

Thanks

Scotty B
04-23-2010, 06:27 AM
This one had a 150. When I was young, my uncle had a 16 ft Magnum Missile with a 150 as well and he actually raced it in the Brass Monkey Race in the Barnaget Bay in NJ

littlenige
04-23-2010, 09:16 AM
These 3 look interesting. Anybody know the hull in the middle?

tommymonza
04-23-2010, 09:46 AM
Strakes say Cougar or Bertram or some othe Euro boat.

MOBILEMERCMAN
04-23-2010, 11:30 AM
Thats good stuff

Thanks

Lucky you.

Here are some pix of my son growing up around boats.

MOBILEMERCMAN
04-23-2010, 11:45 AM
Scott sorry about the hiJack.

Did Still Crazy have power in it. I would like to see more pix of it. I recall a video them running it 20 years ago. The name was fitting. They ran it loose and fast.. They had to be crazy to run that thing at 90 mph in the ocean. The video showed a bad hop { not so bad they stopped} and they just stayed in it.. and marched on. Nearly every other team I witnessed running a 30 plowed the thing and they would not let in lunge like they did. Very Cool boat.

The middle pix above the boys are in a 30 race boat.

vrod02
04-25-2010, 10:46 PM
Hey poodle did ya get anymore shots of Brownies 19?