PDA

View Full Version : magnum 27 sport-Newbee

last one
04-17-2010, 06:32 PM
any current magnum owners want to talk about their magnum 27s? Likes/dislikes? I found a 1973 that needs some work, has 1999 5.7 mercruisers-bravo 1 drives. needs paint interior and exterior.owner wants a reasonable offer? original steering wheel and gauges were removed/updated. Are the fuel tanks in the bow easily removed for replacement? any trouble areas to look out for? the cockpit decking seems to be wood, rather then gelcoated fiberglass. Is this how they were built?

Chris
04-17-2010, 07:20 PM
For the record, there is nothing to dislike about the Magnum 27. It's the identical bottom to the Cig 36 and probably dozens of other boats. It got stretched into the Cig 35 which is as good as it gets, old-school wise.

The 5.7's and bravos is a nice way to go. Great update.

Tanks on anything aren't easy.

Magnum is working to bring them back into production. With twins- $175,000.000

They're built like a tank. But anything with wood in it has the potential for rot. You need a thorough survey that includes checking moisture in the transom and stringers. When the Bravo conversio was done, either the transom was completely replaced or some hideous patch job was donne. Someone that knows what they're looking at needs to go over it carefully.

last one
04-18-2010, 07:05 AM
great, thanks.

Bud Weisner
04-18-2010, 09:20 PM
Price on a new Magnum will most likely be more than $175 K.Also if you buy and older Magnum with no original hardware and wish to replace them you will not be able to find all the hardware.You also will spend a minimum $50-$75,000 to refurbish it....I always perferred the Maltese for its larger cabin and raised deck Call me and we can discuss all the costs involved. Bud 312-607-3115

Delta5
05-08-2010, 03:04 AM
Hi Bud here are the pics from my trip to Nevada Div of Wild-life today to get the title straightened out and to see if the girls there were workin' in the strip clubs and wanted to go boatin'.?.?

Weighed it today and the Boss with out-drives, bell housings, drive shafts (including all equipment and hardware inside the hull) + this tandem trailer + 80 gallons of 100 octane av gas without the engines or batteries was 4640 lbs (this boat has a complete deck made from two thin layers of glass and has about a half inch honeycombed spacer of what looks like NOMEX so it is very light) so after I remake the rear seat the engine cover, the rear seat area cover and the engine firewall of aluminum and Carbon I will loose about another fifty to sixty pounds. When we install the engines that are being rebuilt with as much horse power as these little Boss engines (347 cid) and all of the NASCAR parts money can buy can put out (H-M thinks that we can get 740 out of them at 6500 rpm, looks like 14:1 really perks them up a bit) We ought to be just under 5,000 lbs ready to rock n roll. Still trying to fine some four in to one headers for these motors...hard to find...any ideas??

Bud Weisner
05-09-2010, 01:32 PM
Dex it looks like you have most of the hardware...beside the hatch what else does it need.Did it have a life line? Bud

Buoy
05-09-2010, 01:50 PM
What kind of drives are those? They don't look like Bravos, don't look like TRS to me either, but I'm certainly no expert.

Offshore Ginger
05-09-2010, 02:23 PM
What kind of drives are those? They don't look like Bravos, don't look like TRS to me either, but I'm certainly no expert.the drives look like stern power and ( Last One ) my last 27 sport that i owned had a teak deck flooring in the cockpit area which looked very attractive and dam i wish i would have never sold that boat.

h2oMag
05-10-2010, 02:10 AM
the drives look like stern power and ( Last One ) my last 27 sport that i owned had a teak deck flooring in the cockpit area which looked very attractive and dam i wish i would have never sold that boat.

Artie the drives on the Boss Magnum are Volvo 270 drives, with a wide cavatation plate. Here is a better pic. h2o

Bud Weisner
05-10-2010, 11:04 AM
That is correct,Dex sent us these pictures when he started to research the Boss.Also the drives were not move-able,they were locked in place for top end speed. Bud

Offshore Ginger
05-10-2010, 01:49 PM
Artie the drives on the Boss Magnum are Volvo 270 drives, with a wide cavatation plate. Here is a better pic. h2oThanks mark that sure is a better pic and hows your back doing ? ...........Artie

Delta5
05-10-2010, 06:27 PM
Bud I do not know what a "Life Line" is or where it goes, but if it is the cable and stands that went from the bow to the windshield area then it did have one and that and the stainless rub rail and the anchor hatch and a new windshield 15" high that I had made and both front bucket seats and stands and the power assisted steering were all stolen along with two jet skis and a trailer from where I had it stored last year. I think I have all else. I Heard from Lee Holman this morning he is running late he is in Phoenix and was going LA then here on Wednesday and I reminded him that you and I wanted his inventory of marine parts and he said he will get it to me? so did he bring it ? not sure. I am meeting him at Carrol Shelby's (he is picking up a Cobra) on Wednesday afternoon and then we are having dinner with him after so I will find out that day. He is going to have some information from his engine builder as I am trying to get the motors back up to par as the 2d owner built them to even less than what they were as he put a fairly mild hydrolic cam in these motors and they were all done at 5,000 rpm. More to come...Drex

Bud Weisner
05-10-2010, 06:59 PM
Not a problem Dex.the parts that were stolen are replaceable. Call m after your meeting with Lee. Bud

h2oMag
05-11-2010, 01:20 PM
Thanks mark that sure is a better pic and hows your back doing ? ...........Artie

With this great Michigan weather :ack2: we are having, it is really good for it. :eek: Untill it warms up more cocktails & Vicoden. :cheers2:

Offshore Ginger
05-11-2010, 03:11 PM
With this great Michigan weather :ack2: we are having, it is really good for it. :eek: Untill it warms up more cocktails & Vicoden. :cheers2:Mark thank god for Vicoden and Cocktails and it sure is a bitch getting old ....hey

Delta5
05-13-2010, 07:16 PM
Bud, I am meeting with a Stock Broker here that has offered me his "Baja" 40' Cat with two 572 cid, 871 supercharged inter-cooled, with -8 Arneson Drives for $65K w 3axle alloy trailer it as a/c and a generator etc. etc. What do you think about this with one 4,500 hp or two 3,600 Hp turbines ??? If I buy it the Chevy's will be excess?? More from Lee Holman on Monday. Later, Drex

Bud Weisner
05-13-2010, 09:59 PM
Dex I am sure it could handle it,however I would check some one who is experienced with turbines first.I have never been a fan of Baja. Bud

h2oMag
05-14-2010, 02:29 AM
Dex I am sure it could handle it,however I would check some one who is experienced with turbines first.I have never been a fan of Baja. Bud

Bud the Baja cats were really Image, Express cats made here in Algonac Mi, Baja just put there name on them. :sifone:

Bud Weisner
05-15-2010, 05:28 PM
Mark didn't know that...what do you thing of Dex's idea on putting turbines in it.Got him the save the old Holman & Moody Boss and restore it back to it's glory days.
Did you learn anything new on Magnum badging from you meeting last week.The heritage plaque was for Illinois only...older boats,see picture attached. Bud

Offshore Ginger
05-15-2010, 07:51 PM
Bud , not to be rude but .........could you please explain better !!!!!!!

Bud Weisner
05-15-2010, 10:40 PM
Dex ...Delta 5 is the owner of the Holman Moody Magnum Boss and was considering on putting a turbine in it.We convinced he was sitting on a piece of history and should restore it,which he is going to.He found a Baja Cat that he is thinking of using for the turbine and ask for some opinions.
The heritage plaque was found on a vintage 74 Magnum,and we were trying to find out what it was. After seeing it we surmised it was a plaque issued by Illinois for certain category of boats.Don't know the history on it yet and what were the requirements for receiving one,but looking into it. Bud

Bud Weisner
05-15-2010, 10:47 PM
Dex it looking at the trailer you have the Boss on rollers vs bunks.I would try to get a bunk set up ,not good for race boats to sit on a roller trailer... can damage the bottom,not enough support.

Delta5
05-16-2010, 04:24 AM
Bud you're right again...that trailer is for a twin engine Chris Craft that I put it on after the engines were pulled (temporary only) The trailer for "The BOSS" is a three axle Metal Craft that is getting freshened up right now with new bunks, lights, wiring, brakes and paint. It started in January when I wanted to extend it beyond the outdrives and change the bunks to fit exactly. Drex

Delta5
05-16-2010, 04:52 AM
Right you are Bud, I have The BOSS on the trailer that is a twin engine Chris Craft's home and I have a three axle Metal Craft trailer that is getting extended for protection of the out drives...new bunks, brakes, wiring, paint and some polished diamond plate that belongs to The BOSS.