PDA

View Full Version : scartch repair?

tcuda499
04-13-2010, 10:58 PM
HI all,
My boat was painted by Magic Brush maybe 8 years ago...still in good shape. I dont know what paint was used but I know its base coat /clear coat. I have some small scratchs on the top deck,about 2 inch's long. whats the proper way to repair these doing them at home? I have color matched the paint and will be spraying it. Do I start by sanding down the scratch in a 2" x 2" square through the clear down to color? than spray the color a couple coats let dry, wet sand than clear? any help would be great,thanks

DAREDEVIL
04-13-2010, 11:12 PM
HI all,
My boat was painted by Magic Brush maybe 8 years ago...still in good shape. I dont know what paint was used but I know its base coat /clear coat. I have some small scratchs on the top deck,about 2 inch's long. whats the proper way to repair these doing them at home? I have color matched the paint and will be spraying it. Do I start by sanding down the scratch in a 2" x 2" square through the clear down to color? than spray the color a couple coats let dry, wet sand than clear? any help would be great,thanks

I would say yes. Thats how a painter does it, what i have seen.

tcuda499
04-13-2010, 11:22 PM
any things I should know about doing it outside? I will try to "box in " the area I'm working on to prevent wind,dirt and dust from getting in. anything else?

Offshore Ginger
04-14-2010, 09:40 AM
are the scratches in the base coat to the point where there is no color ?

tcuda499
04-14-2010, 08:16 PM
are the scratches in the base coatto the point where there is no color ?

yes,but not into the gelcoat. will I have to fill it before paint and if so with what? thanks

glassdave
04-14-2010, 09:12 PM
what color are you trying to repair and are there any colors or separations near by? Its best to keep the initial repair as small as possible so you can keep the gun work as small as possible as well.

tcuda499
04-15-2010, 01:07 PM
what color are you trying to repair and are there any colors or separations near by? Its best to keep the initial repair as small as possible so you can keep the gun work as small as possible as well.

the scratch goes through a single color,yellow. there are diff colors close by but probaly a few inch's away. will i need to fill the scratch before paint?

glassdave
04-15-2010, 01:26 PM
small scratch repair is very technical, a bit to involved to type it all out but if you want a quick run down on the process give ma a call. 419-461-4114

tcuda499
04-15-2010, 09:44 PM
small scratch repair is very technical, a bit to involved to type it all out but if you want a quick run down on the process give ma a call. 419-461-4114

thanks, I will when the temp gets a little warmer and I'm ready to go.:cheers2: