PDA

View Full Version : Drive Trim Ram Never Had Fluid

Knot 4 Me
04-13-2010, 08:16 AM
I had an earlier thread about how my starboard trim ram suddenly would not extend the last inch or so of its full travel length. I assumed the ram needed rebuilt. I pulled the drive and ram last night and the ram was bone dry. Both connections had no fluid present when I pulled the lines. Turns out the long line (part #9 in the pic) is totally blocked. http://www.mercruiserparts.com/Show_Pictures3.asp?dnbr=880951%2000&ivar=images/COMMON/18159.png&inbr=5398&bnbr=140&bdesc=TRIM+CYLINDERS+AND+HYDRAULIC+HOSES

I've never seen a hydraulic line with no kinks or other apparent damage be completely blocked. I have to assume it has been this way from day one.

So, the port ram has been doing all the work for the last 5 seasons and 270 hours. The fix is easy enough. Buy a new line and replace it. However, I am now concerned that the ram is junk after being pulled in and out for years with no oil in it. I know something has changed as it will no longer fully extend with the good ram doing the work. My question is should I replace the line and see if the ram works OK or while the ram is off would it be best to take it in to a hydraulic shop and have it torn down and inspected?

Thanks!

MOBILEMERCMAN
04-13-2010, 08:39 AM
I fit is off and has not been in salt take a look. They are pretty simple. Un thread the end and take a look.

Knot 4 Me
04-13-2010, 02:13 PM
I took it in to a local shop at lunch. Seals are shredded but it can be rebuilt. BAM got two orders out of me today!