PDA

View Full Version : Trim/Tilt motor repair....

Hondo Jet
04-12-2010, 08:30 PM
Boat is an 87. Been sitting for a good long time. Both trim solenoids are good but pumpwill not run. Tapped lightly while throwing power to it and still wont work. I have a gut feeling that if I can ever get the motor to spin it'll keep going. What happens if I pull the top cap off the motor to free it up? Will the brushes fly out or anything like that? Can the motor be easily separated from the reservoir? Anybody have an exploded vew of one of these motors? Heres what I'm working with:
http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p222/HondoJet/TrimPump.jpg

DAREDEVIL
04-12-2010, 10:11 PM
U can take the cover off..and nothing will happen,,u can try to free it up ,but i think its DONE.
Go look on e-bay,,used they are not expensive !!!!!

I think BAM website ( mercruiserparts.com ) has an exploded view !!!!!!!

Racerguymiami
04-13-2010, 01:06 AM
Arco replacement # 6218. Approx $120.00ea. Motor only

Hondo Jet
04-14-2010, 09:12 PM
Just took the motor off the pump and you are right. It is DONE.

Hondo Jet
04-15-2010, 10:26 PM
Update. Figured I could not make it any worse, so I dissasembled the motor, brushes and armature had a lot of corrosion. Cleaned the corrosion off the brushes, removed armature and wire wheeled the contact end, cleaned the upper bearing shaft and thrust washer, put it all back together and it worked like a champ.

DAREDEVIL
04-15-2010, 10:31 PM
Update. Figured I could not make it any worse, so I dissasembled the motor, brushes and armature had a lot of corrosion. Cleaned the corrosion off the brushes, removed armature and wire wheeled the contact end, cleaned the upper bearing shaft and thrust washer, put it all back together and it worked like a champ.

COOL !!!!!!!!! lucky u

:cheers2:

Trim'd Up
04-15-2010, 10:54 PM
I have torn them apart and cleaned them up successfully on several occasions. You have nothing to lose anyway. There isn't much to them.