PDA

View Full Version : Holley 850 help needed

Pat Bates
04-10-2010, 06:54 PM
Took the boat out for the first time this year. When I got back I had a lot of transom soot. It started to do this at the end of last season, and I decided to wait until this spring to check into it. Spark plugs look good, and the motor sounds fine, but it's running very rich.

How do I adjust the carb to lean it out just a small amount?

All help is GREATLY appreciated! :cheers2:

BUIZILLA
04-10-2010, 07:06 PM
blown power valve(s)

Airpacker
04-10-2010, 07:07 PM
yep, probably. If it ever backfired fairly hard, the diaphrams in the PV's are toasted.

Pat Bates
04-11-2010, 12:34 AM
So I'm looking at a carb re-build?

Griswald
04-11-2010, 09:43 AM
go buy some new power valves and spin them in. When you take them out you will find some stamped #s to let you know what size they are. Make sure you get the same ones. You will likely need a set of bowl gaskets, too. Cheap fix that will probably take all of 30mins

Pat Bates
04-11-2010, 12:34 PM
go buy some new power valves and spin them in. When you take them out you will find some stamped #s to let you know what size they are. Make sure you get the same ones. You will likely need a set of bowl gaskets, too. Cheap fix that will probably take all of 30mins

Cool. Anybody got a schematic of a Holley 850, so I can see exactly what I am getting into?

Airpacker
04-11-2010, 12:36 PM
remove fuel lines. remove 4 screws holding on float bowl. remove power valve screwed in to the center of the metering block. rear size on valve. get new one. thread back in. install new bowl gaskets and remount bowls and fuel lines. Parts in hand, 5 minutes per bowl tops.

Pat Bates
04-11-2010, 12:53 PM
remove fuel lines. remove 4 screws holding on float bowl. remove power valve screwed in to the center of the metering block. rear size on valve. get new one. thread back in. install new bowl gaskets and remount bowls and fuel lines. Parts in hand, 5 minutes per bowl tops.

Thanks! Sounds easy enough.

Appreciate the help fellas! :seeya: