PDA

View Full Version : POPEYES / GOETZ cat

Ryan Beckley
04-08-2010, 02:30 PM
Who is up for this resto monster!!!!!

http://www.offshoreonly.com/classifieds/popeye-o33596-en.html

Dude! Sweet!
04-08-2010, 03:31 PM
How do these things end up so trashed? Shoot, I guess I was thinking its only 10 years since it raced and it's actually 20, but what's the road that led that thing to end up where it is in the condition it's in?

Gladhe8er
04-08-2010, 03:54 PM
What a mess. I remember when that thing was brand new.

chewiekw
04-08-2010, 04:36 PM
what was the weight on that thing? I remember Al built another 4 engine Cougar not long after this one...

htrdlncn
04-08-2010, 05:51 PM
no different than any other boat, something newer/faster comes along,
drivetrain is worth more than boat so that is first thing thats gone,
next you have soemthing that requires huge room to store and an 18 wheeler to move
and its a very single purpose boat, only someone with half a mill to burn is gonna be able to put it in running condition so it just gets moved aorund and sold for lower and lower amounts.

Its no different than all the boats we have seen for sale in the past year,
popular and classic 27-35 hulls going for under $5k if they sell at all because
rerigging them approaches cost of a new boat and because you can pick up complete running examples for much much less than redoing the empty hull.

XriggerX
04-08-2010, 06:25 PM
Could you imagine what the neighbors would say if you had that MF'r parked in your driveway!

Dude! Sweet!
04-08-2010, 07:09 PM
Could you imagine what the neighbors would say if you had that MF'r parked in your driveway!

That was actually what I though first. I looked at Gentry's big cat a couple years ago and got laughing thinking about parking it in front of my house...

fobes
04-08-2010, 07:47 PM
I was thinking the same thing. I thought I remember that thing having running/design issues though?

DrGaryDC
04-08-2010, 07:54 PM
i dont understand either. How do you have a beautiful million dollar project like that, and now the cost to put back together would be insane

h2oMag
04-08-2010, 09:09 PM

I know about this first hand as I have 4 offshore classics in my driveway.. :sifone: As for my neighbors if they say something about them :cuss: I say they are Historic Art, :rolleyes: and I was here first. :cheers2: Back in the day I was at one of Al's offshore partys at his home, now he had alot of stuff. :cool:

Double B
04-09-2010, 08:17 AM
I know about this first hand as I have 4 offshore classics in my driveway.. :sifone: As for my neighbors if they say something about them :cuss: I say they are Historic Art, :rolleyes: and I was here first. :cheers2: Back in the day I was at one of Al's offshore partys at his home, now he had alot of stuff. :cool:

Al's "museum" he has out by the interstate just outside of New Orleans is freaking crazy. Some of the stuff in there gives you chills to look at!

Coolerman
04-09-2010, 10:30 AM
That thing looks monstrous. Is it 50' without the bussle?

Chris
04-09-2010, 10:43 AM
Better days-

Chris
04-09-2010, 10:46 AM
There's a reason it's sitting where it is and will probably continue to sit there-

You can pick up a nice 46 Skater for $250K in running shape.

glassdave
04-09-2010, 11:37 AM
Al's "museum" he has out by the interstate just outside of New Orleans is freaking crazy. Some of the stuff in there gives you chills to look at!

Is there an actual museum or was that a figure of speech? What kinda stuff . . . . . i love this kinda stuff :D

Any more pics of this thing back in the day?

LAriverratt
04-09-2010, 12:47 PM
there is a storage/museum on the side of I-10 in Metairie(just west of New Orleans) has glass facing the hwy...can't think of the exit right now but it's not very far west of the causeway exit...he has trucks,bikes boats, all kinds of stuff in there.

Premier Perf
04-09-2010, 01:46 PM
My questions is how come stuff like this always end up in Hialeah :sifone:

Big Time
04-09-2010, 02:18 PM
I was thinking the same thing. I thought I remember that thing having running/design issues though?

I don't think they ever saw the #'s that they thought they were going to get out of it but I don't know the reason behind that.

Better days-

Man, I remember seeing that boat as a kid and just looking at it in amazement...it was a sight to be seen back then, not so much anymore.

chewiekw
04-09-2010, 02:22 PM
I was at the race shop on Monday...Scott was nice enough to give me a tour...Phenomenon was looking nice....they were getting her ready for some testing...

I will post some pictures when i get a sec over the weekend...

Scott

rchevelle71
04-09-2010, 08:48 PM

After it sits in Pompano for many years, someone from Hialeah gets their drink on one night, and makes the ride north with big dreams, a few days later they sober up, and it ends up on Ebay:sifone::cheers2:

DAREDEVIL
04-09-2010, 11:26 PM

HAHAHAHAHAHA :rolleyes:

htrdlncn
04-09-2010, 11:47 PM
Could be worse,
could end up in Davie..
:D