PDA

View Full Version : Towing 46 BT...Need a little insight and "Lessons Learned"

Divenstar
04-07-2010, 11:21 PM
Hello All,

I need your input...I will be towing a 46 BT to various fun/poker runs this season, which is a first for me...I have a 2005 Ford F350 4x4 Dually as a tow rig. I'd like to know any info. you can give, regarding set-up, gear, "words of wisdom" and especially any "Lessons Learned" stories..and What kind of tow/hauling/rig set-up do you have???

BTW...How much does both a 46 EC and the trailer weigh?? And do you need a CDL and/or special permits to tow???

Thank,

Divenstar :iamwithstupid:.

endeavor1
04-07-2010, 11:28 PM
Dont go down Oklahoma turnpikes with them. For some reason, they get mad:eek: I would just make sure your trailer brakes/trailer are in good working order. Good tires, on both the truck and trailer and just realize how big you are while traveling down the road. Also, plan your stops! I always look for truck stops so i am not putting myself in a bind using small stations. Best of luck

Coolerman
04-08-2010, 12:16 AM
Which BT do you have? Any pics?

we tow our flatdeck with a 2500hd gmc 3/4 ton 8.1 gas, with allison tranny. We have electric/hydraulic disc brakes on our manning trailer w/8000lb axels. It is an ok setup. It tows the boat fine and has a decent amount of going and stopping power. You gotta slow down a bit in the wind though.

thlwl
04-08-2010, 10:39 AM
I tow with an 03 F350 Dually 4x4. It does alright. I towed once with a small Freightliner with the 275 hp Cat. It was amazing! Boats weigh around 13K. Trailer weight depends on aluminum or steel. Steel is quite a bit more. I think my alum trailer is in the 2k range. Plus fuel and gear, I think you'll be in the 16K to 17K range all in. In most states, anything over 8' wide requires a permit. To get a permit, your truck must be rated for it. I don't think the F350 hitch pull is rated for the BT. Gooseneck set ups are though. Florida is the only place near me that will bust you good for no permit (Tex, La, and Miss not so much). When BT mfg was making 12 boats a year, they towed at night and didn't have issues.

endeavor1
04-08-2010, 03:43 PM
I tow with an 03 F350 Dually 4x4. It does alright. I towed once with a small Freightliner with the 275 hp Cat. It was amazing! Boats weigh around 13K. Trailer weight depends on aluminum or steel. Steel is quite a bit more. I think my alum trailer is in the 2k range. Plus fuel and gear, I think you'll be in the 16K to 17K range all in. In most states, anything over 8' wide requires a permit. To get a permit, your truck must be rated for it. I don't think the F350 hitch pull is rated for the BT. Gooseneck set ups are though. Florida is the only place near me that will bust you good for no permit (Tex, La, and Miss not so much). When BT mfg was making 12 boats a year, they towed at night and didn't have issues.

And at hi rates of speed!!:sifone: ask bob about that

BDARCHER
04-08-2010, 06:40 PM
I also tow with a 2003 F350 4X4 four door. Tows fine its just wide up top. Ive towed in TN, GA, FLA, MISS, AR, ALB. So far no flashing lights.

Divenstar
04-08-2010, 10:24 PM
Which BT do you have? Any pics?

we tow our flatdeck with a 2500hd gmc 3/4 ton 8.1 gas, with allison tranny. We have electric/hydraulic disc brakes on our manning trailer w/8000lb axels. It is an ok setup. It tows the boat fine and has a decent amount of going and stopping power. You gotta slow down a bit in the wind though.

46 EC...

No pix at present, but will post

Divenstar

Divenstar
04-08-2010, 10:25 PM
I also tow with a 2003 F350 4X4 four door. Tows fine its just wide up top. Ive towed in TN, GA, FLA, MISS, AR, ALB. So far no flashing lights.

What type of emergency gear do you carry???

Divenstar :iamwithstupid:

Coolerman
04-09-2010, 12:36 AM
And at hi rates of speed!!:sifone: ask bob about that

rotflmao! what ever the speed limiter was set at.......

thlwl
04-09-2010, 09:41 AM
[QUOTE=Divenstar;474103]What type of emergency gear do you carry???

Divenstar :iamwithstupid:[/QUOTE

I carry a spare wheel bearing set but knock on wood never had to use it. I had a buddy weld a spindle on to his trailer then mounted an entire hub to be used for his spare tire carrier. If he lost a bearing, he just replaced the entire hub in a matter of minutes. It was a good set up. I also made 2 wide angled wood blocks in case of a flat, you put under the 2 non-flat tires and just pull the trailer up on them to change the flat tire. Even if jack needed, it will just be for a much lighter load. Make sure you have a good 4-way lug wrench that fits the lug nuts. Just an FYI to all, Manning Trailers used stainless steel sleeve covers over steel lug nuts for my trailer. When I went to service the hubs, I found the lug nuts would not come off at all as they were rusted solid under the SS sleeves. Spent days changing them out to all SS lug nuts. TH

Coolerman
04-09-2010, 10:33 AM
Just an FYI to all, Manning Trailers used stainless steel sleeve covers over steel lug nuts for my trailer. When I went to service the hubs, I found the lug nuts would not come off at all as they were rusted solid under the SS sleeves. Spent days changing them out to all SS lug nuts. TH

:ack2:.......

endeavor1
04-09-2010, 10:45 AM
Ouch Tommy.... I take all my lugs off twice a year, once for bearing repacks, the other just to keep them free. I always anti sieze the studs too.

Also, the guy that bought my 43 talldeck has a 2005 F 250 extended cab and pulled it from hannibal to Montreal canada. He never had any issues.

BDARCHER
04-09-2010, 03:00 PM
What type of emergency gear do you carry???

Divenstar :iamwithstupid:

CASH MONEY and Beer :cheers2: jn case i have a problem.:cheers2: I did have a center wheel fly off and didnt even know it. Pulled it home 300 miles on the 2 left. The brake stuck and broke the 1/2 studs. i changed them to 14mm 1.5 a little bigger. good luck Bob

endeavor1
04-09-2010, 06:55 PM
CASH MONEY, HOES and Beer :cheers2: Thats how I roll. Pretty sure thats what Endeavor and the Saxman do too! good luck, Bobby

:iagree:

DAREDEVIL
04-09-2010, 11:00 PM
Well, all kidding a side..u need to watch out in the keys 1000% they will pull u over and give u a ticket..because i bet your weight rating at the hitch says 10000 # and u need one (aftermarket) that says at least 17000# on the hitch it self......they don't care what the truck is rated for !!!!!!!

And the ticket is not small either.:eek:

Coolerman
04-10-2010, 01:48 AM
:iagree:

:iamwithstupid:

John P
04-11-2010, 06:08 PM
I pull with a 2004 Chevy diesel dually Pulls it very well. As Chris said use truck stops for fuel and if you have a triple axle trailer at least 2 spares and a hammer to unfold your trailer fender when the rear tire blows. Keeping wheel bearing is a very good idea there is a lot of weight and one can go at any time. I lost 2 wheel bearings and 1 hub split in half coming home from Florida and the trailer was not even a year old.

Divenstar
04-12-2010, 07:36 PM
I pull with a 2004 Chevy diesel dually Pulls it very well. As Chris said use truck stops for fuel and if you have a triple axle trailer at least 2 spares and a hammer to unfold your trailer fender when the rear tire blows. Keeping wheel bearing is a very good idea there is a lot of weight and one can go at any time. I lost 2 wheel bearings and 1 hub split in half coming home from Florida and the trailer was not even a year old.

What boat were you hauling???

Divenstar

endeavor1
04-12-2010, 08:43 PM
NO COMPROMISE, one of the baddest mama jamas out there IMO...:cheers2:

John P
04-13-2010, 07:58 AM
NO COMPROMISE, one of the baddest mama jamas out there IMO...:cheers2:

What he said.

Now it has a new tandem axle dual goose neck trailer.

BDARCHER
04-14-2010, 10:14 PM
John Does the new trailer have electric or hyd brakes. My surge setup stops great, but the disc brakes like to stick. Ive bought a new master cylinder, brake lines an had all 6 calipers rebuilt. And they still stick a little and get warm.

thlwl
04-15-2010, 09:43 AM
John Does the new trailer have electric or hyd brakes. My surge setup stops great, but the disc brakes like to stick. Ive bought a new master cylinder, brake lines an had all 6 calipers rebuilt. And they still stick a little and get warm.

Mine has electric over hydraulic. Meaning an electric actuator in the tow cab activates the hydraulic pump that applies the brakes on the trailer. Full electric brakes on a boat trailer, like a travel trailer, can't work due to water submersion. You should be able to have a trailer facility change your system over if you prefer. Only changes the front of your trailer and you can drill and pin your surge slide tongue system. The good thing about the system I have is that you can apply your brakes while backing down a boat ramp. Nice for the big BT. Make sure your surge system grease fittings are working well to get grease to the slide part. If it doesn't slide all the way out after stopping, it will cause brakes to be applied. T

Coolerman
04-15-2010, 05:42 PM
Just reiterating what I've said before and what many others have said, electric over hydraulic.

BDARCHER
04-15-2010, 11:40 PM
My brake problem is the brake pistons keep sticking in the caliper.when brakeing hard. People seem to want to pull in front of me on the rode. John said hes got a duel tandem. I havent seen a duel tandem electric Hyd setup. I got a triple duel gooseneck work trailer. Ive backed it under water a lot. brakes are still working just fine. Ive been pulling old boats out for people at the dox

endeavor1
04-16-2010, 11:34 AM
Where is the guy that started this thread and why r we not hearing his comments. Kinda pisses me off to start a thread and not comment! Thanks dude!

Monopoly 46
04-17-2010, 02:37 PM
Monopoly left motor don't ru run it's not getting fuel

endeavor1
04-17-2010, 02:58 PM
Monopoly left motor don't ru run it's not getting fuel

Time to send it to perfomance boat brokerage for service :driving:

Monopoly 46
04-18-2010, 10:00 PM
my dad called them he got it fix

John P
04-18-2010, 10:08 PM

Yes its electric over hydraulic disc 10,000 lb axles.

BDARCHER
04-20-2010, 09:00 AM
Yes its electric over hydraulic disc 10,000 lb axles.

Nice. :cheers2: Does the gooseneck tow better that the triple?.

John P
04-20-2010, 01:14 PM
My triple axle was a goose neck also so tows the same just more tires and less wheel bearings to have go bad and the wheel bearings are twice the size.

Divenstar
04-22-2010, 07:39 AM
Where is the guy that started this thread and why r we not hearing his comments. Kinda pisses me off to start a thread and not comment! Thanks dude!

Sorry to piss you off...it was not my intent...

I was taught by a very wise man (my dad)...that it is better to ask, then listen...than to, ask, then talk, with nothing meaningful to say...

Which is the case at hand...I realized that I really don't know the subject matter...so, I asked the question and am intently listening and taking copious notes...

For the record, I monitor this and other truck/trailering/hauling threads several times a day...and have learned much...

I realized that I know boats and waterways, but also realized that I know absolutely nothing about towing/hauling big boats on a regular (non-commercial) boat trailer...

I have learned so much from all of your comments, and I thank you...Especially concerning the different truck/trailer/hitch/brake set-ups...There are many very experienced and knowledgable BT & big boat owners on this board...and eventually, I'd like to be one of them...

I also monitor the "Tough Lesson's Learned" and the always popular "Did you see the Nor-Tec crashed on the interstate???" threads...and I surely do not want to be one of them...but,again...that is why I ask...

Rest assured...your comments, insights, thoughts and "Lessons Learned" are not in vain...And are more valuable personally, than you can imagine...

I haven't posted on this thread...because, I am being enlightened and I am just soaking it all in...

Divenstar :grouphug:

BDARCHER
04-24-2010, 08:19 AM
Any pics of the boat yet.
Bobby

endeavor1
04-26-2010, 10:05 PM
Sorry to piss you off...it was not my intent...

I was taught by a very wise man (my dad)...that it is better to ask, then listen...than to, ask, then talk, with nothing meaningful to say...

Which is the case at hand...I realized that I really don't know the subject matter...so, I asked the question and am intently listening and taking copious notes...

For the record, I monitor this and other truck/trailering/hauling threads several times a day...and have learned much...

I realized that I know boats and waterways, but also realized that I know absolutely nothing about towing/hauling big boats on a regular (non-commercial) boat trailer...

I have learned so much from all of your comments, and I thank you...Especially concerning the different truck/trailer/hitch/brake set-ups...There are many very experienced and knowledgable BT & big boat owners on this board...and eventually, I'd like to be one of them...

I also monitor the "Tough Lesson's Learned" and the always popular "Did you see the Nor-Tec crashed on the interstate???" threads...and I surely do not want to be one of them...but,again...that is why I ask...

Rest assured...your comments, insights, thoughts and "Lessons Learned" are not in vain...And are more valuable personally, than you can imagine...

I haven't posted on this thread...because, I am being enlightened and I am just soaking it all in...

Divenstar :grouphug:

Sorry about that rant. I was hung over. I am a little confused, have you not trailered your boat much? Which one is it. The BT family is small so Im sure one of will know the boat. As all have said before, good luck and well wished in your towing adventures. Just drive the speed your comfortable with. For me, thats around 80, :eek: and for Bob Jenkins, 90...:eek::eek: :sifone:

Chris

Coolerman
04-26-2010, 11:09 PM
and for Bob Jenkins, speed limiter...:eek::eek: :sifone:

Chris

:sifone:

DAREDEVIL
04-26-2010, 11:52 PM
I am always hung over. :sifone:

Chris

:sifone::cheers2::sifone:

boatme
04-27-2010, 06:24 AM
Sorry about that rant. I was hung over. I am a little confused, have you not trailered your boat much? Which one is it. The BT family is small so Im sure one of will know the boat. As all have said before, good luck and well wished in your towing adventures. Just drive the speed your comfortable with. For me, thats around 80, :eek: and for Bob Jenkins, 90...:eek::eek: :sifone:

Chris

I would set the cruis at 78 and go :)

BDARCHER
04-27-2010, 08:13 AM
You guys are begging for the blue lights at 80 or 90.

Good luck guys out there and safe towing.

Coolerman
04-27-2010, 12:48 PM
:sifone::cheers2::sifone:

lol :cheers2:

endeavor1
04-27-2010, 02:02 PM
Thanks for all the kind comments guys. Lol
:driving:

endeavor1
04-10-2013, 10:59 PM
good read

Ratickle
04-11-2013, 04:14 AM
Yep,

endeavor1
04-11-2013, 05:23 AM
did you like it?

Ratickle
04-12-2013, 04:14 AM
Some of the problems guys have had while towing are pretty interesting.....

endeavor1
04-12-2013, 04:31 PM
Like using a hummer or F150???

offshoreexcursion
04-14-2013, 12:18 AM
Your truck will tow your boat fine. I use a SRW Cummins to tow my 50ft 3/4 car hauler weighing 25-30k daily. I do have some upgrades to the truck and trailer. Yes I have used a DRW but prefer and upgraded "super single" style SRW.

Make sure the truck and trailer are in very good condition. Worn parts make for slop
Air the tires up to Max Cold PSI
If your truck needs more stability air bags in the rear help
Would not hurt to upgrade the trucks hitch, drawbar, and ball to 20k
Would not hurt to upgrade the trailers tires to 14ply G load range. I run them even though trailer came with 10 ply E load range, never had a flat since upgrading in over 500,000 miles
Hand pack Trailer bearings every year. I have had bad luck with using the grease zerks to grease trailer bearings. Just blows the seals out.
EOH brakes on the trailer
Safety chain along with the winch strap on the boat and rear straps never hurt either
9'6" Wide is not legal to tow without a permit, but just avoid attention (i know thats hard with a badazz BT!) and play dumb. Since your recreational you do NOT need to pull into weigh stations. Recreational laws are different then commercial, and every state varies. There are ways to tow legal, and if interested, I would recommend researching them yourself. You can not trust what we post about actual laws (no offense) and if you ever are ticketed or pulled over, at least you will have the actual paperwork already printed out proving you are legal. Calling the DOT does not work either, they are lazy doughnut eaters that have not studied the law properly. So find the actual laws on paper, and try to decifer them since they are written in "lawyer speak".
2 spare tires and wheels
Spare bearings hubs etc
Tools to change
Feel your bearings and tires at every stop to see if they are hot, if they are you are already about to detroy a spindle, tire is low on air
Having a truck act as a bandaid for a improperly set up trailer is not magically "safe" like some on OSO feel. The Trailer handles the weight of the boat, the stability, the sway, the braking, etc etc. IMO the trailer is MORE important then the truck.

Enjoy!

Ratickle
04-14-2013, 04:18 PM
Some really good advice there.....

Thanks

Nevr2nd
04-16-2013, 10:16 PM
Agreed, good info.

I use a F650, Cat, Allison with air ride. I've towed mine to Key West from STL, no permits. I did have a flat tire in ATL.
But i have a cordless 1/2 impact, which worked awesome. I felt like i was on a Nascar pit crew. Lol.
All except my gf was out taking pics of me.......which was causing a traffic jam. Clearly im a show stopper.........
Lmao.

Ratickle
04-17-2013, 03:46 PM
All except my gf was out taking pics of me.......which was causing a traffic jam. Clearly im a show stopper.........
Lmao.

Was your GF in a bikini?

endeavor1
04-17-2013, 10:03 PM
Was your GF in a bikini?

Post pix if so you man-whore

Ratickle
04-18-2013, 05:26 PM
Unless his pants had fallen down, and his plumbers butt was hanging out, no show stopper there......

Nevr2nd
04-21-2013, 09:04 PM
No bikini.......no crack showing.....at least i think.

racer511
04-22-2013, 11:18 AM
drw truck is always better, especially if new to pulling 75' long 24,000 total weight.

with single rear wheel truck you can get a side to side sway at times which can be a challenge to handle

I would stay in the 60s on speed, it's not hard to run fast, it's being able to stay in control when somebody in front of you stops or slams on there brakes

my 2 cents

racer511
04-22-2013, 11:19 AM
Agreed, good info.

I use a F650, Cat, Allison with air ride. I've towed mine to Key West from STL, no permits. I did have a flat tire in ATL.
But i have a cordless 1/2 impact, which worked awesome. I felt like i was on a Nascar pit crew. Lol.
Lmao.

I thought you were a Rockstar Guy

Nevr2nd
04-23-2013, 12:53 PM
I thought you were a Rockstar Guy

Yeah Rockstar/ show stopper and as long as there is some okd school rap pkaying, Endeavor brings it!

endeavor1
05-02-2013, 11:00 PM
Yeah Rockstar/ show stopper and as long as there is some okd school rap pkaying, Endeavor brings it!

It's Tricky....