PDA

View Full Version : Info. towing 46 BT w/2005 F-350 4x4 Dually

Divenstar
04-07-2010, 11:15 PM
Hello All,

I need your input...I will be towing a 46 BT to various fun/poker runs this season, which is a first for me...I have a 2005 Ford F350 4x4 Dually as a tow rig. I'd like to know any info. you can give, regarding set-up, gear, "words of wisdom" and especially any "Lessons Learned" stories..and What kind of tow/hauling/rig set-up do you have???

BTW...How much does both a 46 EC and the trailer weigh?? And do you need a CDL and/or special permits to tow???

Thank,

Divenstar .

Seafordguy
04-07-2010, 11:33 PM
WOW - that is going to be pretty heavy.

If you are going to tow it with an F350 I would DEFINITELY get the truck Bagged, make sure you have a hitch UP to the task, possibly get a weight distributing system, and you NEED Electric over Hydraulic Brakes - Surge Brakes are probably not going to be enough for that rig.

I tow my 35 Cigarette with a Dually F350. I estimate it as 10k dry, 1500 in fuel, 1000 in "other" 2000 trailer.

Everyone else will tell you the same thing, but getting it going won't be a problem, but getting it stopped, especially in an emergency will prove it a handful.

That's a lot of boat.

boatme
04-07-2010, 11:38 PM
Towed my BT all over the country with an F350 Duellly

It is the best way to go

endeavor1
04-07-2010, 11:43 PM
I ve pulled my old 43 with a 1 ton 4x4 doge dually and also with my new GMC dually. I agree that in an emergency situation, elec/hydraulic will be better but who knows if even that will save you. My friend pulls his 43 flatdeck with a 3/4 ton surbuban and pulls it all over the US. Its how you drive it. Just make sure everything is up to snuff for equipment and have a enjoyable trip.

fund razor
04-08-2010, 06:34 AM
Hello All,

I need your input...I will be towing a 46 BT to various fun/poker runs this season, which is a first for me...I have a 2005 Ford F350 4x4 Dually as a tow rig. I'd like to know any info. you can give, regarding set-up, gear, "words of wisdom" and especially any "Lessons Learned" stories..and What kind of tow/hauling/rig set-up do you have???

BTW...How much does both a 46 EC and the trailer weigh?? And do you need a CDL and/or special permits to tow???

Thank,

Divenstar .

I don't think anybody addressed the CDL. It varies by state. In my state, I believe that you can go up to 25,000 combined gross vehicle weight without extra certification. I am at 8500 plus 10,000 (18,500) You are like 8500 plus 15k-17k?

I tow around 9,000-10,000 with a GMC 1 ton (3500 dually). I checked my "factory" hitch and it was only rated to 7,500lbs. I had a local truck shop yank that off and install a new one that is rated for 12,000 normal/14,000 WD. It was 275 bucks. Everything all the way to the ball is rated at 12,000. So I'd make sure what I've got for a hitch.

Is it a gooseneck/fifth wheel setup?

Sydwayz
04-08-2010, 08:34 AM
That truck is at most rated to tow 15,100 lbs.

There is no way you can set that truck up to tow the 46BT legally. Just be aware that if you have an accident, ANY accident; your insurance will more than likely be invalidated.

Chris
04-08-2010, 08:52 AM
The insurance is certainly one consideration. But I'd think surviving the towing experience would trump that.

I don't know the exact weight of the boat, but when you add in a trailer, a full load of fuel and such and all the stuff you carry on the boat, it's going to definitely be more than the rated towing capacity of the 350.

I was towing my Cig last night. Raining like mad, 35-40 mph winds, in the dark, on the interstate, in construction zones (narrow) and lots of traffic. It was behind my Freightliner- didn't have even the slightest "white knuckle" moment. I'm never going to endure another towing experience where I show up exhausted from the stress of the effort expended and the near-misses again.

endeavor1
04-08-2010, 09:25 AM
The insurance is certainly one consideration. But I'd think surviving the towing experience would trump that.

I don't know the exact weight of the boat, but when you add in a trailer, a full load of fuel and such and all the stuff you carry on the boat, it's going to definitely be more than the rated towing capacity of the 350.

I was towing my Cig last night. Raining like mad, 35-40 mph winds, in the dark, on the interstate, in construction zones (narrow) and lots of traffic. It was behind my Freightliner- didn't have even the slightest "white knuckle" moment. I'm never going to endure another towing experience where I show up exhausted from the stress of the effort expended and the near-misses again.

In all reality, these boats should be towed with a medium duty truck such as a freightliner. The dry weight for a 46 EC listed is 12000. Add the trailer approx 3000, fuel 1500, and goodys and you weigh around 17k. The liability when towing is something i have not checked into but im sure i would see a claim denied due to GVWR.

Chris
04-08-2010, 09:51 AM
If it's buying a truck or a boat or a car, the insurer will probably pay off. But if you've got a $5mm wrongful death claim looming, they'll be digging deep to find ways to not pay. Sort of like claiming 500HP's and having 900 horse blower motors under the hatches. And the insurer doesn't care if you deliberately misled them or if you just didn't know.

But like I said, I'd rather arrive relaxed and comfortable- and in a bad situation I'd rather not crash or risk injury.

BraceYourself
04-08-2010, 10:54 AM
I have a 46 foot boat also. Towed with an F450 and it wasn't enough truck. I went to the F650 and all has been fine since.

The 450 would feel the sway of the trailer and breaking would also feel strained in quick stopping situations.

The 650 has no feeling of a trailer behind it and breaking in any situation is fine.

cigdaze
04-08-2010, 11:11 AM
Hello All,

Thank,

Divenstar .

You're going to be overloaded. Can it be done?...maybe. But certainly not legally and arguably not too safely. The absolute maximum tow rating on a 2005 F-350 diesel dually is 17,000 and that's using a fifth wheel configuration. It's only 14,000 on the hitch.

Most sources say a BT 46EC weighs 12,500 dry. Add a 3,000 pound trailer, fuel, gear, stuff, and you're well past the max ratings.

Trim'd Up
04-08-2010, 11:25 AM
I'm not arguing the legalities of towing over the max rating, but the factory ratings are nothing more than a sales pitch that has legal ramifications to the end user. Going by the factory ratings a new 1/2 ton chevy or ford will out tow a 1 ton dually diesel from 10 years ago.

Chris
04-09-2010, 10:20 AM
I'm not arguing the legalities of towing over the max rating, but the factory ratings are nothing more than a sales pitch that has legal ramifications to the end user. Going by the factory ratings a new 1/2 ton chevy or ford will out tow a 1 ton dually diesel from 10 years ago.

That's become a big problem. The manufacturer's marketing departments took over from the engineers some years back. Ever since, they've been edging the tow rating numbers up.

Until recently there was no standard by which to set tow ratings. That's why the Feds pushed SAE to develop one. Starting in 2013, all vehicles will be forced to adhere to a comprehensive towing capability standard. Not only will it cover what the vehicle will be able to pull (which is really all the current ratings address) the standard will take into account braking, handling, durability, engine cooling and hitch attachment.

endeavor1
04-10-2010, 08:18 AM
All this talk about GVWR and liabilty has made me start looking at Sport Chassis and Western Haulers medium duties again. :willy_nilly:

Seafordguy
04-10-2010, 09:09 AM
I think the truth is that a trenemdous % of this website should be using medium duty's. Or at least 450/550's. As soon as I can afford to I am going to find a 550 to move to - I would sleep much better.

Ratickle
04-10-2010, 09:09 AM
My answer to all. If it's only local, you're fine because you know the local rules and regs, and can also take your time to get there. I've seen BT's towed with 3/4 ton burbs and think they're nuts.

If you are really towing all over the country, you have issues. BT's are too wide to be legal on the freeways without special permits and requirements. Mostly wide load and daytime restrictions plus $. You'll need to look into each one and make your decisions. They are also over the GVW of your vehicle without a gooseneck trailer. If you're towing all over, buy a bigger rig. You'd be surprised how cheap some are if that's all you're gonna use it for. Now a sweet 450 is not cheap:).......

12,500 for the boat, 3000 for the trailer if steel, 2500 for fuel average, plus gear, water, food, etc. My HD 3/4 tows it just fine, but I only stay close to home and in the daytime on dry roads. And electric over hydraulic for positive....