PDA

View Full Version : Arnesons on a 30 Velocity

speedfreak2030
04-07-2010, 03:59 PM
Has anyone ran Arnesons on a 30" 1987 Velocity? Also, what Arnesons are these and how much HP will they handle?

DAREDEVIL
04-07-2010, 11:44 PM
Has anyone ran Arnesons on a 30" 1987 Velocity? Also, what Arnesons are these and how much HP will they handle?

RIK,could tell u all about it....they are old #6 i believe and need a counter rotating engine on 1 side....HP ~ 550-600 maybe.

Will it work,,YES,,if u listen to RIK and build it his way it will !!!!!!!:cheers2:

302sport
04-08-2010, 08:42 AM
thats a hustler.....andy is that boat for sale??? if you dont end up with it let me know

Chris
04-08-2010, 08:56 AM
I talked to Steve Stepp several times about the conversion. I picked up a set of 6's and considered it. At the time he'd never done it and I can't say I've seen one since then.

You'll need transom wedges to get them set up properly. They may no longer be available, so I'd check first.

MILD THUNDER
04-08-2010, 06:58 PM
Those look different than the ones ive seen on the older 32 Hustlers. The ones i have seen on them were the old 1600 series. They put the props close together and seemed to work well on this hull.

Rik
04-08-2010, 08:46 PM
Those are ASD6 Drop Box Drives. There is not need for wedge plates nor counter rotating engines as the drives have the rotation built into them.

That boat is a 32' Hustler that ran in some race class back in it's day with 330 hp Mercruiser's and it ran in the low 90's back then. Fiore set the boat up for racing and the drives were originally set up closer and the engines were really close as they used a cast manifold. Had to move the engines outboard more when they could no longer get those manifolds. Moved the drives also.

As for a Velocity, I would use the newer #7M drives for obvious reasons and the boat would run very well. One can build the conversion kits with these drives though.

The ASD6's were rated at 650 hp.

That boat is located in MD.

DAREDEVIL
04-08-2010, 09:31 PM
Those are ASD6 Drop Box Drives. There is not need for wedge plates nor counter rotating engines as the drives have the rotation built into them.

That boat is a 32' Hustler that ran in some race class back in it's day with 330 hp Mercruiser's and it ran in the low 90's back then. Fiore set the boat up for racing and the drives were originally set up closer and the engines were really close as they used a cast manifold. Had to move the engines outboard more when they could no longer get those manifolds. Moved the drives also.

As for a Velocity, I would use the newer #7M drives for obvious reasons and the boat would run very well. One can build the conversion kits with these drives though.

The ASD6's were rated at 650 hp.

That boat is located in MD.

Thanks RIK, for clearing this up...i knew something ...LOL:sifone: :seeya:

Rik
04-08-2010, 11:10 PM
I talked to Steve Stepp several times about the conversion. I picked up a set of 6's and considered it. At the time he'd never done it and I can't say I've seen one since then.

You'll need transom wedges to get them set up properly. They may no longer be available, so I'd check first.

No wedges are needed. With the new ASD8's I've designed there is no wedge plates for them and ASD6's never had a need for any either.

Chris
04-08-2010, 11:51 PM
No wedges are needed. With the new ASD8's I've designed there is no wedge plates for them and ASD6's never had a need for any either.

I didn't end up doing it. That was just something Stepp told me I'd need to make the 6's work- never explored why.

Rik
04-08-2010, 11:56 PM
???? Fiore made up those spacers as they tilted the drives (something I've never seen done with an ASD6)

Transom wedges for a ASD6? Unless he has a 0 degree transom or something abnormal (you'd need a wedge for any drive used in that case) there would be no need for them...

Chris
04-09-2010, 09:15 AM
If you ever talked to Steve, he had his own "theories".

Rik
04-09-2010, 12:32 PM
????? I only know of two ways to mount a drive. The wrong way and the right way :D

Chris
04-09-2010, 01:20 PM
Geez Rik. How long you been around this sport? ;)

If I had a nickel for every unique piece of theoretical speed enhancement cobbed onto a boat...

MILD THUNDER
04-09-2010, 03:28 PM
Just noticed how low those exhaust holes are on the above Hustler. Those things must be at or below the water line.

I think the asd would be alot more reliable and faster than your current TRS drives on your velocity.

Rik
04-09-2010, 05:32 PM
Just noticed how low those exhaust holes are on the above Hustler. Those things must be at or below the water line.

I think the asd would be alot more reliable and faster than your current TRS drives on your velocity.

When customers change from a TRS to the Arneson conversion kits they typically see 15-20 mph increase in speeds.

DAREDEVIL
04-09-2010, 06:07 PM
When customers change from a TRS to the Arneson conversion kits they typically see 15-20 mph increase in speeds.

RIk, did u get my PM ???LOL:sifone: