PDA

View Full Version : now the 3rd 24ft raceboat, its yellow

slpcamaross97
04-06-2010, 08:27 PM
Found me a 24ft yellow race layup. with center steer. Boat is a 1995, boat is in MI, Race name was "No limit"

WHAT do you know of this boat im totally stoked on the boat, guy is asking 10k

slpcamaross97
04-06-2010, 08:32 PM
Talked to owner, here is the story guess he bought the boat in 02 right after boat had a rough crash and rip the deck off the boat, BUT went back to the factory to have it fix??? going to call JO and PP on it tomorrow.

Owner says boat has been road hard.... but still its SOLID. would this concern you?

Also Boat is a NON running cond. steering wheel was changed to non center steer. the boat has not been in water since 02. motor is in it but has been in there a while and guy said someone broke into boat and took the carb and and few other things. no damage was done but said motor would need to be re dyno with new carb. They also tried to seal the guages so wiring under dash is beat. Floor has a buckle in it.....

Whats your thoughts?

slpcamaross97
04-06-2010, 08:33 PM
HIN #NLOB34524395

Dude! Sweet!
04-06-2010, 09:27 PM
NLO? Don't have access to the USCG site on my phone. What is it? Home built/lost reg?

slpcamaross97
04-06-2010, 09:57 PM
Ya that HIN number has got me thinking too.

rchevelle71
04-06-2010, 10:05 PM
Mine doesnt have the original # either, there are other ways of telling if its real.

slpcamaross97
04-06-2010, 10:24 PM
Mine doesnt have the original # either, there are other ways of telling if its real.

and that is?

I sent a email to PP and JO. i found it posted a few years ago on the other site and they never chimed in.

I like this thing. OH BOY.

Dude! Sweet!
04-07-2010, 01:07 AM
Did it get you thinking enough to look it up on the net? My first Pantera was bought on a mechanics lien and issued a new HIN. No biggie.

rchevelle71
04-07-2010, 07:59 AM
and that is?

I sent a email to PP and JO. i found it posted a few years ago on the other site and they never chimed in.

I like this thing. OH BOY.

In order of the easiest to hardest ways.......

#1, Talk to Pepe or Joe
#2, Although there were many copies, of the hull, most used a different deck
#3, Stringer layout
#4, core a section and check the layup

stormrider
04-07-2010, 09:09 AM
Shows what a great deal the white/red 3man in miami was as 13-14k! :eek:

stormrider
04-07-2010, 09:24 AM
And it'd be cooler to start w/ this and swap out the crash box, and get it back to original... w/ side exit exhaust...

Shawn
04-07-2010, 12:21 PM
The Coasty site doesn't recognize "NLO". Mine is "WCW"

Ziemer
04-07-2010, 01:49 PM
NLO comes up as a company in Maine (J.C. MINOTT BOAT LLC), but has only been in business since 2006.

Here's the list of MIC codes for Pantera:

PPA: PANTERA POWERBOATS 7775 NW 66th Street Miami FL
PPF: PANTERA POWER BOATS 7801 W 63RD OVERLAND PARK KS
PPG: PANTERA POWERBOATS INC 14100 BISCAYNE BLVD BAY# 8 N MIAMI FL
WCW: PANTERA USA INC 3205 NE 188 ST MIAMI FL

rchevelle71
04-07-2010, 03:07 PM
PPF: PANTERA POWER BOATS 7801 W 63RD OVERLAND PARK KS

I believe mine is this one

no limits
04-07-2010, 09:21 PM
Found me a 24ft yellow race layup. with center steer. Boat is a 1995, boat is in MI, Race name was "No limit"

WHAT do you know of this boat im totally stoked on the boat, guy is asking 10k

Hence, my name...

no limits
04-07-2010, 09:33 PM
This boat raced in Miami 1995 and West Palm Beach 1995 in A-class as "No Limits". Had 650 HP Chevy by MER performance out of SC. Mark Rinda was one of the guys who raced this boat. He owns MER and advertises on SOS. Boat has top notch hardware. The guy who has it now (Kevin, I believe) said he used to work at Baker in MI where he built the motor. Said block and some parts came out of the "Cat Can Do" Skater...pretty wild! Needs a little work, but great hardware...worth it.

no limits
04-07-2010, 09:39 PM
Shows what a great deal the white/red 3man in miami was as 13-14k! :eek:

Thanks...I thought so too! I was on this boat (yellow one) for awhile too...good history.

jdub
04-07-2010, 10:38 PM
I'd be a little worried about the guys who broke in and stole the carb and a few other things. Usaully those guys aren't to worried about where the nuts land when they spin them off.......like down the intake and into your motor!

I'd go with the M-24 over this one......

Dude! Sweet!
04-08-2010, 01:30 AM
I've had PPA, WCW and NYZ... All Panteras. Cool boat, but I'd think you'd have to be in love with it before you bought it...

Buoy
04-08-2010, 01:37 AM
The M24 looks like the best thing out there right now.
This one looks rough, but if you have some love, it could be the right thing for you.
When I bought my boat (Dude's old boat, no limits old boat, Ironmans old boat...) iwasn't ready to buy a dedicated race setup/no cabin boat. It's a funny wife thing...:)
I could probably get away with it now...
And if I were in the market, the M24 would be on my short list, or should I say it would be on the hitch headed home with me by now.

Dude! Sweet!
04-08-2010, 01:50 AM
Hey Tim. I ended up on the phone the whole ride back today. Give a shout tomorrow if you're around.

rchevelle71
04-08-2010, 09:42 AM
The M24 looks like the best thing out there right now.
This one looks rough, but if you have some love, it could be the right thing for you.
When I bought my boat (Dude's old boat, no limits old boat, Ironmans old boat...) iwasn't ready to buy a dedicated race setup/no cabin boat. It's a funny wife thing...:)
I could probably get away with it now...
And if I were in the market, the M24 would be on my short list, or should I say it would be on the hitch headed home with me by now.

You havent seen ruff, til you saw how mine looked when I dragged it home:rolleyes:.

slpcamaross97
04-08-2010, 12:41 PM
Well NO LImits, Do you know of the racing crash of the boat? back in 02?

And the new name on the side of the boat is all VINAL. and is just a yellow boat under the stickers.

I bet im crazy enough but i think im taking a road tirp. This yellow one is only 3 hrs max away from my house where the m24 boat is across the US from me.

IS their anything that i sould take as far as tools to inspect a boat.....?

slpcamaross97
04-08-2010, 12:48 PM
The reason im not even looking at the black m24 is just the distance is too big. I can save 2500 bucks in travleing cost and work missed than i can put into a local boat. just going to figure out what might it take to get this one going again.

bigboat28
04-08-2010, 02:44 PM
Couldn't be anything more than time and money and oh yea and beer:cheers2:

rchevelle71
04-08-2010, 04:21 PM
The reason im not even looking at the black m24 is just the distance is too big. I can save 2500 bucks in travleing cost and work missed than i can put into a local boat. just going to figure out what might it take to get this one going again.

If you absolutely MUST have a raceboat, then I believe you may be going in the right direction, but also, the M24 may need $2500 less worth of work??

Personally, and take this from someone who has restored a 24, if you dont need a race boat, buy a running pleasure boat, preferably one that someone here that you know and trust has either owned in the past, or currently owns. In the long run you will end up ahead in the $$ department, and WAY ahead on time, mine was off the water for 3 years, working on it every weekend, and even after compromising, and putting it on the water for 2 years to get my fix, it is back apart getting the transom done. If I had to do it over again, I would spend the $$ upfront and get a turn key boat.

DAREDEVIL
04-08-2010, 05:57 PM
No matter which one of those 2 u end up with,,they are both going to be KICK A$$ when done.

Lots of things i like on both of them and would not be scared of any thing on both.

Little work, little money and ready to rock & roll !!!!!:cheers2::seeya:

Dude! Sweet!
04-08-2010, 07:14 PM
Only cost me around $1,500 to drive to Knoxville and back with a 28 on the back of the truck each way. You plan on running an alcohol powered truck to Washington and back? Or just planning on picking up 20 $50 truckstop hookers along the way?

no limits
04-08-2010, 08:34 PM
Well NO LImits, Do you know of the racing crash of the boat? back in 02?

And the new name on the side of the boat is all VINAL. and is just a yellow boat under the stickers.

I bet im crazy enough but i think im taking a road tirp. This yellow one is only 3 hrs max away from my house where the m24 boat is across the US from me.

I heard it got a new deck according to this guy who has it, but not aware of it. What did Pepe or Jo say? I agree w/ you on Seattle...too far. Only 3hrs...go see it and if it's what you want, bring $8500 cash. Just remember, you can only stare at it for so long. It's somewhat of a project and projects take more $. I found out turnkey is much better unless you have time and money to work on it. Either way, it is a cool ride, I personally like it over the black one...just me.

DAREDEVIL
04-08-2010, 09:26 PM

A small hammer, a flashlight, and if u have 1 ..a moister meter !!!!! :cheers2:

Like i said, i seen worse and they ran again with little effort. :cheers2:

slpcamaross97
04-08-2010, 10:05 PM
Only cost me around $1,500 to drive to Knoxville and back with a 28 on the back of the truck each way. You plan on running an alcohol powered truck to Washington and back? Or just planning on picking up 20 $50 truckstop hookers along the way?

Well ill be running a GAS 2500HD with 4:56 gears. So with no load the best i have ever seen was 9 MPG. and towing i seem to stick around the 6-7 on flat roads. if i hit a hill then idk maybe 2 mpg if i dont down **** and the rpms shoot up?

PLUS DUDE you broke down and got a nice ride. so i would have to put money into the trailer to make sure it would make the run back. SO im guessing my figure was in the ball park. Plus paying for two guys food and on and on.

As far as JO and PP. I talked to PP for a bit today and he said boat is NOT a 95, He said it would have to be a 80s boat, and he never recalls building a yellow one, so he said it had to be a different color also. NOW as far as the deck and it going back to PANTERA, HE HAS NEVER DONE ANY REPAIR ON IT. So who knows if it was ever damaged or who repaired it if they did.

so im guessing a drive to take a look at it is not a bad idea i just wont be bring any cash so i dont get the "I WANT IT NOW" feeling.

slpcamaross97
04-08-2010, 10:08 PM
Also the pics guy sent me are the same ones someone got 3 years ago so who really knows what cond its really in now.

OH ya seller did mention that he did make sure there was nothing droped down intake. BUT says he cant run the motor till the new carb and motor were dyno together. so that a bit iffy.

jdub
04-08-2010, 10:32 PM
Pass........don't even waste your time or money. If your going to sink your money into a older one make it a 28! You'll grow out of the 24 before the season is over.

DAREDEVIL
04-08-2010, 11:46 PM
Also the pics guy sent me are the same ones someone got 3 years ago so who really knows what cond its really in now.

OH ya seller did mention that he did make sure there was nothing droped down intake. BUT says he cant run the motor till the new carb and motor were dyno together. so that a bit iffy.

Just a thought,,WHAT IS SO HARD ON PULLING THE INTAKE AND CHECK IT BEFORE RUNNING ?????????

The 20 bucks for the gaskets ??:confused:

Once its off, u can look in all the heads and see everything !!!!!!

If u want a 24 ??? , then go check it out. if u are worried then pass. But i don't think its a bad 24 !!!!!!!

DAREDEVIL
04-08-2010, 11:51 PM
Here, u wanna see a nightmare ...................

OH, and its the one in my AVATAR !!!! LOL

DAREDEVIL
04-08-2010, 11:52 PM
There is NOTHING on Boats u can't fix !!!! :cheers2:

Dude! Sweet!
04-09-2010, 12:30 AM
Well ill be running a GAS 2500HD with 4:56 gears. So with no load the best i have ever seen was 9 MPG. and towing i seem to stick around the 6-7 on flat roads. if i hit a hill then idk maybe 2 mpg if i dont down **** and the rpms shoot up?

PLUS DUDE you broke down and got a nice ride. so i would have to put money into the trailer to make sure it would make the run back. SO im guessing my figure was in the ball park. Plus paying for two guys food and on and on.

As far as JO and PP. I talked to PP for a bit today and he said boat is NOT a 95, He said it would have to be a 80s boat, and he never recalls building a yellow one, so he said it had to be a different color also. NOW as far as the deck and it going back to PANTERA, HE HAS NEVER DONE ANY REPAIR ON IT. So who knows if it was ever damaged or who repaired it if they did.

so im guessing a drive to take a look at it is not a bad idea i just wont be bring any cash so i dont get the "I WANT IT NOW" feeling.

Uh dude, that was $1,500 with hotels, fixing my stuff (trailer wheel bearing and tires and for the record, the free ride was back 50 miles not towards TN thank you Vessel assist) and feeding me and Kittycat John. John kept ALL the receipts. It's ok to say that the M24 boat isn't for you, but frankly excuses about how far a boat is from you are total BS in my book. They only made so many of them and the right boat is where you find it. Ask Wallin and Mange.

LittleDcsRodShop
04-09-2010, 01:20 AM
Uh dude, that was $1,500 with hotels, fixing my stuff (trailer wheel bearing and tires and for the record, the free ride was back 50 miles not towards TN thank you Vessel assist) and feeding me and Kittycat John. John kept ALL the receipts. It's ok to say that the M24 boat isn't for you, but frankly excuses about how far a boat is from you are total BS in my book. They only made so many of them and the right boat is where you find it. Ask Wallin and Mange.

"They only made so many of them and the right boat is where you find it." Very true & I think that statements got a few of us written all over it..

Not sure if it counts since it was the first leg of the trip, but I think you fed me somewhere along the line as well..:bump:

rchevelle71
04-09-2010, 08:31 AM

How did he make sure nothing got dropped??

If he is lyeing about the repair, who knows what else.

In my opinion, not even worth the drive to look at it, unless you are bored, and wanna be disappointed.

Run as fast as you can away from this one.

DAREDEVIL
04-09-2010, 09:00 AM
How did he make sure nothing got dropped??

If he is lyeing about the repair, who knows what else.

In my opinion, not even worth the drive to look at it, unless you are bored, and wanna be disappointed.

Run as fast as you can away from this one.

Rick,,,,WHY....to rebuild a complete engine ,is what ....2-3 K to take apart and check it and stick it back together ?????!!!!!!!

So what would that be ,,,,,,10, maybe 8500 + 3 + an other 3 for gauges,interior and a little TLC ????!!!!!!!

So 14-16 K for a cool 24 !!! mmmhhhhh sounds good to me ,,,but i relize i think diffrent all the time as others here..LOL

Maybe i should stop buying anything and fixing it ..LOL:rolleyes:

For that price its worth checking it , but the cheap way would be to fly there and check it out,,then if ok drive up and get it !!!!

rchevelle71
04-09-2010, 11:15 AM
Rick,,,,WHY....to rebuild a complete engine ,is what ....2-3 K to take apart and check it and stick it back together ?????!!!!!!!

So what would that be ,,,,,,10, maybe 8500 + 3 + an other 3 for gauges,interior and a little TLC ????!!!!!!!

So 14-16 K for a cool 24 !!! mmmhhhhh sounds good to me ,,,but i relize i think diffrent all the time as others here..LOL

Maybe i should stop buying anything and fixing it ..LOL:rolleyes:

For that price its worth checking it , but the cheap way would be to fly there and check it out,,then if ok drive up and get it !!!!

I am just saying, the guy is full of chit already..........

Shipped back to Pantera to be fixed, but Pepe didnt do it??

14-16K is just a starting point to get it going, I have WAYYYYY more than that into my 24, and it isnt even where I want it. Like I said earlier, if he is stuck on a race boat, thats cool, but I kinda wish I went the pleasure route, already completed for me, and spent a little more upfront. I enjoy working on the boat, but also have a little bit of skill when it comes to wrenching, and playing with resin. I am not sure of others skill, or desire to do such, and just want him to be aware of what he is getting into, remember, we have 12 months a year to maintain these things, if we lose a few months for maintenance, no big deal, but that is not the case in other parts of the country.

Dude! Sweet!
04-09-2010, 11:19 AM
Maybe they shipped it to the Pantera that makes the basscat? :D

slpcamaross97
04-09-2010, 11:55 AM
Its worth a drive its only across the state and thats only 2 1/2 hrs at speed limits. so it can be done way faster,

But since i have never been next to a 24ft boat i just want to see the size of the pantera.

Who knows i may be jumping the gun but may pass on this one. Not soure just trying to figure out cheaper boat with out spending 20k+

The guy seems honets talked to him the title says its a 95 but Pepe is guessing it could be a 79 repainted in a different shade of yellow.

But guy who is selling boat wont be home till apr 15th so i dont think its going anywhere quick. maybe i can beat him up on the price say 7k?

Oh ya if i get a 24ft i got covered hoist to keep it on all summer. just have to leave the keys my uncls says.......

DAREDEVIL
04-09-2010, 12:53 PM
Its worth a drive its only across the state and thats only 2 1/2 hrs at speed limits. so it can be done way faster,

But since i have never been next to a 24ft boat i just want to see the size of the pantera.

Who knows i may be jumping the gun but may pass on this one. Not soure just trying to figure out cheaper boat with out spending 20k+

The guy seems honets talked to him the title says its a 95 but Pepe is guessing it could be a 79 repainted in a different shade of yellow.

But guy who is selling boat wont be home till apr 15th so i dont think its going anywhere quick. maybe i can beat him up on the price say 7k?

Oh ya if i get a 24ft i got covered hoist to keep it on all summer. just have to leave the keys my uncls says.......

I think u do the right thing by looking at it ,,,it may be your thing right there !!!!!!!
But leaving the keys ?????? , mmmmhhhhh ,ok ..for me i could understand but your uncle...LOLOLOLOLOLOL:sifone:

stormrider
04-09-2010, 03:33 PM
If it looks decent enough in person, get it.
Go through the engine, new gauges/wheel/throttles, new skins, go through drive, wiring, etc.
With any used boat... its gonna take time and $ to get it where you want it.
So get it and start chiseling away at the boat, your time and your $.

If you see it and it stirs the emotions... get it. It's what its all about. Enjoy it now if you can.
Remember... you are dead a long time.

DAREDEVIL
04-09-2010, 04:43 PM
If it looks decent enough in person, get it.
Go through the engine, new gauges/wheel/throttles, new skins, go through drive, wiring, etc.
With any used boat... its gonna take time and $ to get it where you want it.
So get it and start chiseling away at the boat, your time and your $.

If you see it and it stirs the emotions... get it. It's what its all about. Enjoy it now if you can.
Remember... you are dead a long time.

:iagree:

duunoit
04-10-2010, 07:26 AM

:D

You could always do what I did when I took the 24 out to Sean... I rented a Penske truck, drove it to PHX and flew back. I absolutely went overboard witha 26' box truck with a DT466 in it that got 8mpg. What I should have done was rent a V8 gas truck from Uhaul or Penske which would have probably saved me save me another $300 in rental fees and a couple hundred more in fuel...

JAIME
04-10-2010, 11:38 AM
are u on your way to see it this weekend? hope u loveit enough to bring it home, it would be a fun build to follow. good luck, jaime

slpcamaross97
04-10-2010, 01:32 PM
are u on your way to see it this weekend? hope u loveit enough to bring it home, it would be a fun build to follow. good luck, jaime

I wanted to make a trip today but guy said he dont work in state and he would be home on the 15th, then i said ok ill be up on the 16 and he said he has a local guy that is dieing to buy it for the motor since he know all about it and that it was in a skater, so looks like i may loose out on this one, Ive been talking to the guy for a week and very interested in it then he goes and give another guy first dibs on the boat. OH well i guess frist one with cash wins.

still also working with JO and PP at pantera to actually find out what year this this really is because they dont recall making the boat.

DAREDEVIL
04-10-2010, 01:52 PM
I wanted to make a trip today but guy said he dont work in state and he would be home on the 15th, then i said ok ill be up on the 16 and he said he has a local guy that is dieing to buy it for the motor since he know all about it and that it was in a skater, so looks like i may loose out on this one, Ive been talking to the guy for a week and very interested in it then he goes and give another guy first dibs on the boat. OH well i guess frist one with cash wins.

still also working with JO and PP at pantera to actually find out what year this this really is because they dont recall making the boat.

U know,,if your looking for a nice single engine ride,,,i know a guy that is willing to sell his 32 footer..LOL:sifone:

slpcamaross97
04-10-2010, 02:12 PM
U know,,if your looking for a nice single engine ride,,,i know a guy that is willing to sell his 32 footer..LOL:sifone:

ya i bet any boat is for sale for the right price. lol im put my limit at 30 ft

DAREDEVIL
04-10-2010, 06:28 PM
ya i bet any boat is for sale for the right price. lol im put my limit at 30 ft

Well, if i hole the tape messure,,,we can make it 30 !!!!! LOL

Love Machine
04-11-2010, 09:44 AM
HIN #NLOB34524395

I'm taking a class in two weeks on "Marine Investigations" given by IAMI. 1/2 day will be devoted to HIN. The HIN above will be a good project to research for you. It will help me learn. I'll let you know what I find out.

Dude Sweet is probably right though about a new number being assigned, but still, the number is a little fishy.

slpcamaross97
04-11-2010, 11:20 AM
I'm taking a class in two weeks on "Marine Investigations" given by IAMI. 1/2 day will be devoted to HIN. The HIN above will be a good project to research for you. It will help me learn. I'll let you know what I find out.

Dude Sweet is probably right though about a new number being assigned, but still, the number is a little fishy.

Hey thanks. It should be fun finding this out.

no limits
04-11-2010, 07:28 PM
Heard it sold for 8k.

DAREDEVIL
04-11-2010, 08:32 PM
Heard it sold for 8k.

WOW,,thats cheap !!!!!:eek:

dono
04-11-2010, 08:52 PM
I used UShip to bring mine from Lake St Clair to Houston, $1,100.00 - Upload a photo, put in a price and wait for the bids. Took about 5 days to get it here and 3 flats on the trailer. So if your looking at a boat you can get an idea of the shipping to factor into your costs. http://www.uship.com/boats/

slpcamaross97
04-11-2010, 09:25 PM
Well thats what i was going to pay. dude said he was out of down. WTF. oh well. Back to looking for a 28ft

no limits
04-11-2010, 10:09 PM
Well thats what i was going to pay. dude said he was out of down. WTF. oh well. Back to looking for a 28ft

Don't take this the wrong way, but if you were going to pay 8k, why didn't you? I know if I want something, I'll do what it takes to get it. Can't go into anything half cocked or unsure. Like I said before, if you would have brought cash (and wanted it), you would have it in your driveway now! Do you want a 24 or 28...Either way, get it!

JAIME
04-11-2010, 10:32 PM
call the guy up, see if its sold. if not show tomorrow with cash

JAIME
04-11-2010, 10:43 PM
And it'd be cooler to start w/ this and swap out the crash box, and get it back to original... w/ side exit exhaust...

eh Storm, do you have any good pictures of this boat w side exhaust?

stormrider
04-12-2010, 09:39 AM
No, sorry.
Maybe the factory has some better pics.

stormrider
04-12-2010, 09:40 AM
Here's one from the site...
http://panteraboats.com/images/pantera_historypg2_5.jpg

slpcamaross97
04-12-2010, 12:26 PM
call the guy up, see if its sold. if not show tomorrow with cash

Im over it now. I tryed to make the tirp guy said he was out of town till the 15th, i tryed to see if i could have his wife show me the boat and he said no. that only time i could see it was after the 15th.

Not to worried about it really. Think i should just go boat-less abother year and just get something nice like Veolictyrick's boat or something that dont need 20k worth of work of the bat.

jdub
04-12-2010, 07:30 PM
Im over it now. I tryed to make the tirp guy said he was out of town till the 15th, i tryed to see if i could have his wife show me the boat and he said no. that only time i could see it was after the 15th.

Not to worried about it really. Think i should just go boat-less abother year and just get something nice like Veolictyrick's boat or something that dont need 20k worth of work of the bat.

Don't rush man. Find something you WANT. Regardless of condition, be it a project or running. Just when you think one got away another will pop up...never fails.

Rick's boat is very clean and mechanically sound. I've tied up to that boat many times...can't go wrong with that one.

tsp
04-15-2010, 03:01 PM
The boat is still up for sale. Saw the add today on Craigslist Detroit..
http://detroit.craigslist.org/mcb/boa/1693140396.html

p.s If you want a nice Pantera 24 look in the SOS classifieds. :sifone:

no limits
04-15-2010, 03:25 PM
The boat is still up for sale. Saw the add today on Craigslist Detroit..
http://detroit.craigslist.org/mcb/boa/1693140396.html

p.s If you want a nice Pantera 24 look in the SOS classifieds. :sifone:

I guess it fell through...someome steal it!

bigboat28
04-16-2010, 09:04 AM
There you go slp.... the price is even dropping.

Pismo10
04-16-2010, 09:31 AM
Buoy, how is you 24 coming along? Give us an update...

stormrider
04-16-2010, 10:13 AM
Why isn't the owner calling SLP to follow up?

Buoy
04-16-2010, 11:33 AM
Buoy, how is you 24 coming along? Give us an update...

I am currently in a holding pattern, unfortunately.

Looking for a job again.
It's always I either have the time and no $$
Or I have the $$ and no time.

If I could get those two planets to line up, I'd be in business.
Or if I could get that pesky house in Kentucky to sell it might free up some funds.

DAREDEVIL
04-16-2010, 12:37 PM
I am currently in a holding pattern, unfortunately.

Looking for a job again.
It's always I either have the time and no $$
Or I have the $$ and no time.

If I could get those two planets to line up, I'd be in business.
Or if I could get that pesky house in Kentucky to sell it might free up some funds.

Same here,,,but WHO THE HELL WANT'S A HOUSE IN KY ...lol:eek:

Buoy
04-16-2010, 12:46 PM
Same here,,,but WHO THE HELL WANT'S A HOUSE IN KY ...lol:eek:

Trust me Scott, I never wanted to move to Kentucky in the first place.
But, it was a good career move for the wife, (which was a stepping stone and has now brought us to the desert), and I had a pretty good job there (that allowed me to buy the boat in the first place).

Now, if that house would just receive an "act of God"...

DAREDEVIL
04-16-2010, 12:52 PM
Trust me Scott, I never wanted to move to Kentucky in the first place.
But, it was a good career move for the wife, (which was a stepping stone and has now brought us to the desert), and I had a pretty good job there (that allowed me to buy the boat in the first place).

Now, if that house would just receive an "act of God"...

mmmmhhhhhh,,, i did not read that last part..LOL:rolleyes:

slpcamaross97
04-17-2010, 05:37 PM
see this is why i need to just stay off the sites. its like crack for me......

I deleted the guys number. so i just email him. Hear we go again. OH ya im looking at a Velocity next week too.

no limits
04-18-2010, 01:52 PM
see this is why i need to just stay off the sites. its like crack for me......

I deleted the guys number. so i just email him. Hear we go again. OH ya im looking at a Velocity next week too.

It's okay...I'm a boat junky too.

slpcamaross97
04-19-2010, 08:07 PM
Ok got some detailed pictures. and they are current ones.

slpcamaross97
04-19-2010, 08:09 PM
more

Buoy
04-19-2010, 08:23 PM
Looks like buying a full-time job to me.

I mean, could be very cool, but just from the pics, I don't see one thing that doesn't need some serious attention.

slpcamaross97
04-19-2010, 08:29 PM
well the asking price is down to 8k

slpcamaross97
04-19-2010, 08:33 PM
http://www.seriousoffshore.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=60068&d=1271722181

does the bow in this pic look ok? seems like it humps up in the middle when all the other seem like they have a flat deck.

Buoy
04-19-2010, 08:49 PM
http://www.seriousoffshore.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=60068&d=1271722181

does the bow in this pic look ok? seems like it humps up in the middle when all the other seem like they have a flat deck.

No, I don't think it looks strange at all.
I think mine is pretty similar.

That would be pretty low on my list of concerns on that boat.

DAREDEVIL
04-19-2010, 09:18 PM
I say buy it, its not that bad for an old boat and 8 K is a deal !!

Buoy
04-19-2010, 10:18 PM
I say buy it, its not that bad for an old boat and 8 K is a deal !!

You just better have a love for it if you buy it.
A lot of work there.

I would walk into it with the thought the motor is junk, and the drive needs gone through.
The mechanicals are all questionable, and I wouldn't put it on the water without a complete re-rig.

DAREDEVIL
04-19-2010, 10:39 PM
You just better have a love for it if you buy it.
A lot of work there.

I would walk into it with the thought the motor is junk, and the drive needs gone through.
The mechanicals are all questionable, and I wouldn't put it on the water without a complete re-rig.

:iagree: , but its worth 8K easy the way it is,,and if u have a little time u can make it real nice with not that much cash.

1waterboy1
04-19-2010, 11:11 PM
:iagree: , but its worth 8K easy the way it is,,and if u have a little time u can make it real nice with not that much cash.

This boat would be an ideal OPA Class 6 race boat.Hopefully,whoever buys it..will race it.

DAREDEVIL
04-19-2010, 11:51 PM
This boat would be an ideal OPA Class 6 race boat.Hopefully,whoever buys it..will race it.

:iamwithstupid:

DAREDEVIL
04-19-2010, 11:55 PM
worth,,

steering and drive 2500, trailer 1000, hull and deck 3-5 K, engine ...block 1000
carb 300 min heads and valvetrain 1000 intake 250 pumps 100 each all chit around the engine 500 easy and on and on !!!!!!!

8 K,,,a steal :cheers2:

if i had 8K, i would do it again.....:eek:

Buoy
04-20-2010, 12:54 AM
worth,,

steering and drive 2500, trailer 1000, hull and deck 3-5 K, engine ...block 1000
carb 300 min heads and valvetrain 1000 intake 250 pumps 100 each all chit around the engine 500 easy and on and on !!!!!!!

8 K,,,a steal :cheers2:

if i had 8K, i would do it again.....:eek:

I hate to be the pessimist, but afterall, it is my nature...

Scott, you just put together a list of what it would be worth to part it out, not to put it back on the water, and certainly not what it would take to make it competitive again.

Steering and drive are going to cost at least $1500 to be gone through.
I actually see less than the 3-5K in Hull/Deck work. Maybe $2k if you can do a bit of work yourself.
Carb, junk it and just buy a new one, you'll save money.
By the time you start adding it all up, plus time and labor, you're gonna be into it for for close to 20K
On top of that, the boat needs paint and a rub-rail.
It needs all new interior, and all new controls and gauges, (full deal, cables and wiring). And, you need someone to put it together.
I don't mean to be farting in church, but, If SLP wants to do this, I'd rather he knows what he's getting into.

DAREDEVIL
04-20-2010, 07:28 AM
I hate to be the pessimist, but afterall, it is my nature...

Scott, you just put together a list of what it would be worth to part it out, not to put it back on the water, and certainly not what it would take to make it competitive again.

Steering and drive are going to cost at least $1500 to be gone through.
I actually see less than the 3-5K in Hull/Deck work. Maybe $2k if you can do a bit of work yourself.
Carb, junk it and just buy a new one, you'll save money.
By the time you start adding it all up, plus time and labor, you're gonna be into it for for close to 20K
On top of that, the boat needs paint and a rub-rail.
It needs all new interior, and all new controls and gauges, (full deal, cables and wiring). And, you need someone to put it together.
I don't mean to be farting in church, but, If SLP wants to do this, I'd rather he knows what he's getting into.

I agree,,,with the a lot of work part....., BUT NO WAY 20K !!!!
To go true drive, maybe 500 ,
gauges NEW, 300-800
Seats NEW , 1000 for real nice ones
Fiberglass work ( don't see anything, would have to check )
Rebuild engine , 2-3 K MAX....(if needed), but u would have a good engine
small stuff and rigging with cables , 1500 MAX

And then i go boating and do little and cosmetic stuff down the road step by step.....

rchevelle71
04-20-2010, 08:14 AM
I agree,,,with the a lot of work part....., BUT NO WAY 20K !!!!
To go true drive, maybe 500 ,
gauges NEW, 300-800
Seats NEW , 1000 for real nice ones
Fiberglass work ( don't see anything, would have to check )
Rebuild engine , 2-3 K MAX....(if needed), but u would have a good engine
small stuff and rigging with cables , 1500 MAX

And then i go boating and do little and cosmetic stuff down the road step by step.....

Scott,

Not everyone has friends in the business like you, his prices may be a bit higher.

rchevelle71
04-20-2010, 08:34 AM
Deck is normal, they are not flatdecks, they all have that Bow to them, not as evident in my pics, due to the different angle, but it is there, just make sure the bow is even all the way across, the deck is cored, and could be wet.

I agree, and this comes from experience, you will spend another approx. $8,000-$10,000 to get that boat completed, if you want it done right, and reliable. I chose to go that route, and do it a little at a time as I had the $$, rather than buying an expensive 24 upfront and making payments, But I went 3 years on the side of my house working almost every weekend on it, used it for 2 years, and am now doing the stuff I didnt have the $$ for before. If you have the talent, and desire to do it yourself, you can save some $$. I wouldnt worry too much about the little things(like all of those loose wires dangling) as you want to change all of that anyway, and have a clean slate, there is not one original wire in my boat:eek:I gutted it, and replaced all, and I have a few extra wires in mine, for all the bling:sifone: look at the last few pictures, and ask yourself if you are ready to do this:(

thedonz
04-20-2010, 03:26 PM
or....he could buy that sweet Avenger in the first pic of post #92 in the mid $20Ks with recently completely rebuilt 565 (race built) motor, and be boating immediately...........see it here

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/2002-Avenger-25-96639941

rchevelle71
04-20-2010, 03:41 PM
or....he could buy that sweet Avenger in the first pic of post #92 in the mid $20Ks with recently completely rebuilt 565 (race built) motor, and be boating immediately...........see it here

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/2002-Avenger-25-96639941

I agree, Do you mean the one I am rafted up to Here?

or the one with Franks Hand in the second pic?

Or the one that you can see a little purple upholstery in the 3rd. pic?

Oh thats right, its all the same boat, I got pieces of it, but no whole pic:sifone:

chrisk
04-20-2010, 04:01 PM
the avenger is a cool boat, are'nt the based off the martini?

slpcamaross97
04-20-2010, 07:09 PM
Well im very good with mechanic things was a tech in dealer for 8 years now service engineer, but only think i can for see that i would have problems with is fiberglass.... But we will see on this boat some new info on the boat was it was a 2man boat. not 3. so this is new info.

Motor is 468. Seller is hard to track down never home on weekend. so dont know how im going to see this thing. just wait it out i guess.

Just some more info from PP is boat has been a totally rework.... PP, noticed that the bilge is tatally stripped down to the glass. PP said that he gel coated all 24ft bilge.

DAREDEVIL
04-20-2010, 08:12 PM
Scott,

Not everyone has friends in the business like you, his prices may be a bit higher.

Well, thats what these websites are for ,,,,,i could hook him up ..U KNOW ?! :cheers2:

DAREDEVIL
04-20-2010, 08:14 PM
Well im very good with mechanic things was a tech in dealer for 8 years now service engineer, but only think i can for see that i would have problems with is fiberglass.... But we will see on this boat some new info on the boat was it was a 2man boat. not 3. so this is new info.

Motor is 468. Seller is hard to track down never home on weekend. so dont know how im going to see this thing. just wait it out i guess.

Just some more info from PP is boat has been a totally rework.... PP, noticed that the bilge is tatally stripped down to the glass. PP said that he gel coated all 24ft bilge.

I say BUY IT ....don't miss out, trusst me !!!!!!!!:USA:

For 8 K, if its trash i take it from u !!!!!!!!!

rchevelle71
04-20-2010, 09:17 PM

I agree, my bilge had paint on it when I got it, but after grinding down, I found the gel, look between the new wood, and the brown paint. Glass is not hard, just tedious, and helps if ya got a friend in the business to help with cost of material.

slpcamaross97
04-20-2010, 10:13 PM
You guys are like my drug dealers trying to get me hooked. haha. LOVE IT

Buoy
04-20-2010, 10:21 PM
You are already hooked. Just like I was at about age 12.
You just haven't smoked your first pipe yet of the good stuff.
One puff, and you're a junkie.:sifone:

DAREDEVIL
04-20-2010, 11:43 PM
You guys are like my drug dealers trying to get me hooked. haha. LOVE IT

WHAT DO YA NEED ????????? :sifone:

rchevelle71
04-21-2010, 07:38 AM
Well, thats what these websites are for ,,,,,i could hook him up ..U KNOW ?! :cheers2:

Yeah, we can get him some deals, and I can give him advice on what NOT to do:sifone:

DAREDEVIL
04-21-2010, 08:09 AM
Yeah, we can get him some deals, and I can give him advice on what NOT to do:sifone:

I bet we all can...but i think its still a deal at 8 K no doubt on my mind.

stormrider
04-21-2010, 09:55 AM
I still think you'd be happier w/ the 28 in your avatar.
More $ upfront, probably same in the end.
And you'd have a 28.

ar15meister
04-21-2010, 12:18 PM
You will be into that boat for big money. Both Yellow ones will need alot of work.

My boat actually ran the last 2 seasons and ran damn well and I am STILL putting 20 grand into it as we speak and might lose a full summer of boating.

These things arent cheap. Anything that looks like a deal is USUALLY a nightmare.

Spend the dough and buy one that is really nice and someone already put their money into it because once you put money into a boat, it is basically gone.

When I bought my Pantera I looked at many of them and flew around and drove around and looked and looked. I looked at 28 Apaches, Cig Bullets, etc. I also wanted to look at 28 Skater but I was told no insurance and that I would kill myself with this as a first boat...lol.

I wanted a deal at first and thought "I will do this and that and add and work on it".......eventually I just spent the money and bought a boat that ran right, had badassed hardware and was way more expensive. 2 seasons later I am dropping 20k into it. That is the nature of the beast especially when you are running big hp and bravo drives.

there is nothing cheap about offshore boats. If you want to buy one and have it sit on a trailer for years while you work on it thats fine but if you want to be on the water you need to pony up I am telling you.

good luck.

:cheers2:

Dude! Sweet!
04-21-2010, 01:28 PM
You will be into that boat for big money. Both Yellow ones will need alot of work.

My boat actually ran the last 2 seasons and ran damn well and I am STILL putting 20 grand into it as we speak and might lose a full summer of boating.

These things arent cheap. Anything that looks like a deal is USUALLY a nightmare.

Spend the dough and buy one that is really nice and someone already put their money into it because once you put money into a boat, it is basically gone.

When I bought my Pantera I looked at many of them and flew around and drove around and looked and looked. I looked at 28 Apaches, Cig Bullets, etc. I also wanted to look at 28 Skater but I was told no insurance and that I would kill myself with this as a first boat...lol.

I wanted a deal at first and thought "I will do this and that and add and work on it".......eventually I just spent the money and bought a boat that ran right, had badassed hardware and was way more expensive. 2 seasons later I am dropping 20k into it. That is the nature of the beast especially when you are running big hp and bravo drives.

there is nothing cheap about offshore boats. If you want to buy one and have it sit on a trailer for years while you work on it thats fine but if you want to be on the water you need to pony up I am telling you.

good luck.

Well said Adam. Shoot, I still remember when we talked (about Rocky's boat maybe?) and I honestly had you pegged as a bit of a tire kicker or a stroker. Glad you joined the family bro (who else would we have to accuse of looking like J-Roc).

One thing I've learned (the hard way, repeatedly) is used sh!t is just that... Used. Sh!t. If you get lucky, stuff runs like you hope it will for a while but more times than not, you spend a dollar to save a dime. I don't have any hard feelings about any of the used stuff I've bought. But at the same time, you won't see me buying used HP stuff anymore (and I know you guys that talk to me offline have heard that song and dance already). At the end of the day, odds are you'll spend more in the long run buying used vs buying new.

stormrider
04-21-2010, 05:00 PM
I know what it takes to get a boat up to par.
But 'par' is subjective.
I wanna see SLP dig in.

jdub
04-21-2010, 05:43 PM
This 24 is a project. If you don't have it in your mind that you will have this boat down to a bare hull the first full weekend of ownership.....then you need to keep looking. Reminds me of the 26 Corsa I did in the pics below.....

jdub
04-21-2010, 05:51 PM
Seven months later.......

jdub
04-21-2010, 06:06 PM
I'm not trying to talk you out of a project.....but after doing 4 projects in 6 years I can tell you with certainty that this boat will cost you many dollars, sleepless nights, and hours of your life. But the first time you hit the water......it will be worth every dollar, sleepless night and hour spent on it!

DAREDEVIL
04-22-2010, 12:36 AM
I'm not trying to talk you out of a project.....but after doing 4 projects in 6 years I can tell you with certainty that this boat will cost you many dollars, sleepless nights, and hours of your life. But the first time you hit the water......it will be worth every dollar, sleepless night and hour spent on it!

And thats why...dollar by dollar,,not millions by millions .LOL

Just do the main things first and go from there.

Buoy
04-22-2010, 12:58 AM
Alright, I'm in a mood, and had a few beers.
Just buy it.
I wanna see all the destruction and reconditioning photos.:):sifone:

And at some point there MUST be a pic of you with a sawzall in your hands!

The best pic I've seen of that was Tomcei!!
Anyone have that pic saved??:eek:

rchevelle71
04-22-2010, 07:47 AM
Just buy it.

I forgot to get the sawzall pic on mine, but everyone has seen the results:sifone:

ar15meister
04-22-2010, 07:29 PM
Well said Adam. Shoot, I still remember when we talked (about Rocky's boat maybe?) and I honestly had you pegged as a bit of a tire kicker or a stroker. Glad you joined the family bro (who else would we have to accuse of looking like J-Roc).

One thing I've learned (the hard way, repeatedly) is used sh!t is just that... Used. Sh!t. If you get lucky, stuff runs like you hope it will for a while but more times than not, you spend a dollar to save a dime. I don't have any hard feelings about any of the used stuff I've bought. But at the same time, you won't see me buying used HP stuff anymore (and I know you guys that talk to me offline have heard that song and dance already). At the end of the day, odds are you'll spend more in the long run buying used vs buying new.

Dude I couldnt agree more. Like I said, mine ran right for 2 years and then blew up. I ran it hard and had alot of fun. Now this year I am getting a lesson in cost of ownership. Luckily I can afford it but I know there have been alot of guys, not just on the boards but everywhere in this boating scene who bought these projects, realize how much it takes to get them to run right and then have to sell to the next guy at a loss. I am lucky I had alot of good advice when I bought mine. Most importantly, buy something as nice as you can afford and then wait for it to blow up while praying that you get some use out of it first. Remember the 28 Apache Tex bought? I nearly bought that boat but he sold it to Tex before I could see it. Well Ol' Tex blew a motor like the first time out and had a bunch of issues. I am sure it got expensive.

The idea of boats sitting on trailers for years being worked on can be fun for some guys but it is more a labour of love than I would ever be capable of. I would sooner buy a bay boat with a 90hp outboard and hit the lake and go fishing every weekend.
Instead I hit the lake once or twice every 2 weeks, break something and then fix it for a week...then repeat. If you wanna mess with poker runs it is worse because any guy who likes offshore boats probably doesnt like to get passed by boats in your class/size so you run it hard. I cant even imagine what it is like, cost wise, to own something with 6's and big hp. You might as well light the fire at night with benjamins.

BUT when the throttle is down and the big block is roaring you aint thinking about cost, fixing, breaking, complaining broads, work or anything else other than "Phuck I love my life".

Buoy
04-22-2010, 07:56 PM
Dude I couldnt agree more. Like I said, mine ran right for 2 years and then blew up. I ran it hard and had alot of fun. Now this year I am getting a lesson in cost of ownership. Luckily I can afford it but I know there have been alot of guys, not just on the boards but everywhere in this boating scene who bought these projects, realize how much it takes to get them to run right and then have to sell to the next guy at a loss. I am lucky I had alot of good advice when I bought mine. Most importantly, buy something as nice as you can afford and then wait for it to blow up while praying that you get some use out of it first. Remember the 28 Apache Tex bought? I nearly bought that boat but he sold it to Tex before I could see it. Well Ol' Tex blew a motor like the first time out and had a bunch of issues. I am sure it got expensive.

The idea of boats sitting on trailers for years being worked on can be fun for some guys but it is more a labour of love than I would ever be capable of. I would sooner buy a bay boat with a 90hp outboard and hit the lake and go fishing every weekend.
Instead I hit the lake once or twice every 2 weeks, break something and then fix it for a week...then repeat. If you wanna mess with poker runs it is worse because any guy who likes offshore boats probably doesnt like to get passed by boats in your class/size so you run it hard. I cant even imagine what it is like, cost wise, to own something with 6's and big hp. You might as well light the fire at night with benjamins.

BUT when the throttle is down and the big block is roaring you aint thinking about cost, fixing, breaking, complaining broads, work or anything else other than "Phuck I love my life".

Adam, that is a sig line right there if I've ever seen one!
Well said.

Dude! Sweet!
04-22-2010, 09:54 PM
Just buy it.

Can't find the sawzall, but maybe this will do. Tom's a madman. :cheers2:

slpcamaross97
04-26-2010, 06:24 PM
Man i got some bad luck when it comes to boats. i guess a few people have emailed him saying im not serious about. Guy returned with a 6k hull price. so guesssing deal is dead i retured with a 5500 complete with power ill come pick it up now and not even look at it.

DAREDEVIL
04-26-2010, 07:20 PM
Man i got some bad luck when it comes to boats. i guess a few people have emailed him saying im not serious about. Guy returned with a 6k hull price. so guesssing deal is dead i retured with a 5500 complete with power ill come pick it up now and not even look at it.

I think u waited tooo long and he maybe looked here , how much its realy worth.

I even think at 8-10 K its ok.
Sorry for your luck :(

tomcei
04-26-2010, 07:48 PM
whats up my brothers!!

Buoy
04-26-2010, 08:25 PM
whats up my brothers!!

THAT'S what I'm talking about!!

slpcamaross97
04-26-2010, 09:08 PM
IM going to jump off a dock!!!!!