PDA

View Full Version : Fountain

MILD THUNDER
04-05-2010, 09:45 AM
As some probably know, some probably dont, I purchased Brian "Straightjacket" Fountain. I will be installing my engines and trannies. Pretty excited about the whole ordeal.

What we have is a 1990 38 Fever. Boat was a freshwater boat from ohio. Came from Factory as a 420/TRS boat on a myco trailer. Was sent back to Fountain years ago, and rerigged with ssm IV drives, blueprinted bottom, and 420HP mills converted to 525SC merc by Troy Dennis at that time. Along with a new paint scheme around that time also. I was told the boat ran 82mph with this setup.

Around 2005-2006, the boat got reposessed, and the engines, transmissions, and exhaust were gone. Our Friend Straightjacket purchased it in 2007.

Whats cool is the power going back into it will be close to what it was. Mark IV 454's, weiand 177 huffers, bigger roller cams and dart aluminum heads and stellings exhaust, and huber trannies.

The IV's are still on it, but are a crapshoot. Internal condition is unknown at this time.

Overall, I think this will be a fun project, and a fun boat when its all done. And I think our buddy Brian would be excited to see it out there with the rest of the group making noise.

mustang
04-05-2010, 10:14 AM
That's a good looking boat! Good luck with her.

stinger
04-05-2010, 10:19 AM
I hope you dont go through women like you do boats! Nice looking boat and good luck!

redhotsommer
04-05-2010, 10:29 AM
Brian and I picked the boat up in 07...he was leary of making the deal until we actually saw it in person....it is CLEAN. There is not a scratch on the hull, and the interior is in decent shape as well. I'm so happy to see this baby staying in the group...any time you need a hand Joe, just ring me up.

P.S. I think Joe will be a much more competent Fountain owner than me...he has more matching sweatsuits and a better head of hair.

P.P.S. Straight Jacket will only TRUELY be happy when you run down Kool-Aid Man! 1990 vs. 1990! :driving:

Wrinkleface
04-05-2010, 10:43 AM
Conratz & good luck w/ the engine package!!:cheers2:

kerigoff
04-05-2010, 10:45 AM
Kind of a bittersweet day. I'm sad to see so many things of his going but happy that it's staying in the group. So many people have said to me that "it's just stuff" but those of you that knew Brian knew that his "stuff" was very important to him. Though he'd prolly be the first to say he had to much and thats why so much of it never got completed.

Joe, best of luck to you and her- I can't wait to go for a ride.

OBNOXUS
04-05-2010, 10:52 AM
Bittersweet sums it up.

Alot of that going on lately as projects come to an end.

I am happy that its staying in the group and will be well cared for.

Kool-Aid Man
04-05-2010, 11:03 AM
P.P.S. Straight Jacket will only TRUELY be happy when you run down Kool-Aid Man! 1990 vs. 1990! :driving:

Thats just crazy talk!!!! LOL.....cant wait to see it out on the water..I was involved with Brian from the get go on this and glad to see the boat is staying in the group...

MILD THUNDER
04-05-2010, 11:04 AM
Brian and I picked the boat up in 07...he was leary of making the deal until we actually saw it in person....it is CLEAN. There is not a scratch on the hull, and the interior is in decent shape as well. I'm so happy to see this baby staying in the group...any time you need a hand Joe, just ring me up.

P.S. I think Joe will be a much more competent Fountain owner than me...he has more matching sweatsuits and a better head of hair.

Thanks mike, and i will be calling on you guys for some help....Not sure if I'll be runnin down kool-aid, but, it will sure be cool to see this boat and his next to each other on the water...like a 5.0 mustang and a IROC

MILD THUNDER
04-05-2010, 11:06 AM
Kind of a bittersweet day. I'm sad to see so many things of his going but happy that it's staying in the group. So many people have said to me that "it's just stuff" but those of you that knew Brian knew that his "stuff" was very important to him. Though he'd prolly be the first to say he had to much and thats why so much of it never got completed.

Joe, best of luck to you and her- I can't wait to go for a ride.

One thing i know brian would like, and thats this boat with some old school stellings headers dry to the tip. And of course, a bilge lit up with red neon and lots of chrome :cheers2:

Kool-Aid Man
04-05-2010, 11:07 AM
[QUOTE=kerigoff;471596]Kind of a bittersweet day. I'm sad to see so many things of his going but happy that it's staying in the group. So many people have said to me that "it's just stuff" but those of you that knew Brian knew that his "stuff" was very important to him. Though he'd prolly be the first to say he had to much and thats why so much of it never got completed.

For those of you that don't know........A prime example of that is the attic in his back garage...I believe it bows downward a bit because he has something like...4 engines, 20 cranks, 10 sets of heads, some exhaust pipes...and various other things up there!!!!...gotta love it!!!!!

MILD THUNDER
04-05-2010, 11:08 AM
These are whats going in, with some color added to them. Should look nice in a fresh bilge with lots of red LED lights around them at night.

Kool-Aid Man
04-05-2010, 11:10 AM
One thing i know brian would like, and thats this boat with some old school stellings headers dry to the tip. And of course, a bilge lit up with red neon and lots of chrome :cheers2:

BZZZZZZZ....wrong a least on the Chrome....he use to make fun of me all the time...he'd say 'Kool-Aid just likes it cuz its Shiney'....now if you powercoated the headers black...you'd be right up Brian's alley!!

MILD THUNDER
04-05-2010, 11:13 AM
BZZZZZZZ....wrong a least on the Chrome....he use to make fun of me all the time...he'd say 'Kool-Aid just likes it cuz its Shiney'....now if you powercoated the headers black...you'd be right up Brian's alley!!

True, but he like those LED's! Whether on the trailer or in the cockpit!

Kool-Aid Man
04-05-2010, 11:14 AM
I agree!!

MILD THUNDER
04-05-2010, 11:19 AM
[QUOTE=Kool-Aid Man;471613]Thats just crazy talk!!!! LOL...QUOTE]

Watch it boy, or im gonna take you down, down to chinatown!!!! :driving:

Seriously though, thanks to my bud kool-aid, for his help in getting my motors out of the old boat, and lending a hand gettin it ready for sale. :cheers2:

DAREDEVIL
04-05-2010, 11:38 AM
Congrats...i seen the boat a while back and its a nice clean boat...just needs some big power with tose #4's and get them checked out !!!!!!!!

It should be a nice toy when done....more power to ya !!!!:cheers2:

Chris
04-05-2010, 11:44 AM
Ironically enough, I found this on a memory card Saturday. This is the pic we sat on the bar at Key West last November.

redhotsommer
04-05-2010, 11:45 AM
'Kool-Aid just likes it cuz its Shiney'

LMAO...that was a Brian classic.

MrCig
04-05-2010, 01:09 PM
Congrats on the Boat Joe. Let me know if you need anything.

Mark:cheers2:

Magic Medicine
04-05-2010, 01:38 PM
Congrats on the boat Joe! I am glad to see it hanging around. IF you need a hand with anything you have my number. Can't wait to get that bad boy on the water!!!!!

All you need now is a Big GOLD Fountain charm!

Slandrew
04-05-2010, 02:25 PM
:cheers2:Very nice boat good luck

Kool-Aid Man
04-05-2010, 03:24 PM
All you need now is a Big GOLD Fountain charm![/QUOTE]

I'm sure he has enough gold necklaces and medallians in his jewelry drawer he could have melted down and made into a nice size Fountain charm!!!! LOL

B.Z.
04-05-2010, 06:37 PM
You know that guy ( Joe ) has TONS of gold chains at home!!!!! lol

Magic Medicine
04-05-2010, 08:03 PM
All you need now is a Big GOLD Fountain charm!

I'm sure he has enough gold necklaces and medallians in his jewelry drawer he could have melted down and made into a nice size Fountain charm!!!! LOL[/QUOTE]

You know that guy ( Joe ) has TONS of gold chains at home!!!!! lol

Very nice I need to step up my chain and charm game. The hotdog king might have me beat in the Mr T starter kit department.

My vote is that he names it. The Big Show:cheers2:

OBNOXUS
04-05-2010, 09:47 PM
If it dont move,,,,CHROME IT !!!

Kinda explains Harleys dont it !!!! muhahahahahahahaha

Exhilaration
04-06-2010, 09:17 AM
Happy to see another one of Brian's project's being loved. Good luck with it Joe, see you on the water!

MILD THUNDER
04-06-2010, 09:05 PM
Thanks for all the good wishes. Got it back in our stoage place yesterday and gave it a quick bath.

Ive just about got some of the harder to find parts out of the way. Like ssm tailstocks, rear ssm mounts, etc. Those were really the main things i was concerned with locating and getting my hands on.

One thing i'd like to do first off is pump any old fuel out of the tanks.

Cig Flat Deck
04-06-2010, 09:36 PM
good luck with the boat.:looks like you will have lots of help count me in on that too

B.Z.
04-06-2010, 09:40 PM
I will bring all of the Fountain stuff lord know I have enough!!!! LOL

+Beer

OBNOXUS
04-06-2010, 10:16 PM
all you have are broken XR parts !!!!!

Exhilaration
04-07-2010, 01:46 AM
That's a good start! We can use the XR parts for show n tell!

Hammer01
04-07-2010, 08:54 AM
Glad to see everything worked out for you Joe, can't wait to get to the warehouse to take a look. Last time I was in it with Brian Jr. it appeared to be in great shape and I have seen that hull with your kind of HP and it runs strong. I truly think you are going to enjoy the "driving" aspect of it as it can be a lot of fun!!!! Any help you need let me know with parts as there are a lot of contacts for drives etc. that we have not even called upon yet. When it is time for fluff and buff, let me know, I would enjoy bringing the little guys down and giving you a hand (or technically several hands). Start early, boat early, drink late!!!!!

BTW Obnoxus, I could not avoid the Harley comment!!! The reason Harley owners chrome their bikes is because they have learned how to ride them and want them to look good!!!! The reason why the rest of you don't is because you tend to lay them down or drop them in the rocks and can't afford to scratch chrome (oh chit, Mrs OB is going to be after me now)!!!!

Tony M
04-07-2010, 09:11 AM
Glad to see everything worked out for you Joe, can't wait to get to the warehouse to take a look. Last time I was in it with Brian Jr. it appeared to be in great shape and I have seen that hull with your kind of HP and it runs strong. I truly think you are going to enjoy the "driving" aspect of it as it can be a lot of fun!!!! Any help you need let me know with parts as there are a lot of contacts for drives etc. that we have not even called upon yet. When it is time for fluff and buff, let me know, I would enjoy bringing the little guys down and giving you a hand (or technically several hands). Start early, boat early, drink late!!!!!

BTW Obnoxus, I could not avoid the Harley comment!!! The reason Harley owners chrome their bikes is because they have learned how to ride them and want them to look good!!!! The reason why the rest of you don't is because you tend to lay them down or drop them in the rocks and can't afford to scratch chrome (oh chit, Mrs OB is going to be after me now)!!!! There Big Boy! :sifone: Hell I know She Loves Me!

Magic Medicine
04-07-2010, 09:19 AM
I will bring all of the Fountain stuff lord know I have enough!!!! LOL

+Beer

If your bring beer count me in. Miller Lite please:cheers2:

Magic Medicine
04-07-2010, 09:22 AM

BTW Obnoxus, I could not avoid the Harley comment!!! The reason Harley owners chrome their bikes is because they have learned how to ride them and want them to look good!!!! The reason why the rest of you don't is because you tend to lay them down or drop them in the rocks and can't afford to scratch chrome (oh chit, Mrs OB is going to be after me now)!!!!

Bring those littlen's down by me. I could use a couple hands cleaning mine up. We can let C dizzle do some handling on JJ 4 wheel. :cheers2:

MILD THUNDER
04-07-2010, 01:30 PM

Worked night shift last night, while running west on I80 aound midnite thru joliet just west of RT53, saw some dude layin in the roadway on the EB side with his crotch rocket about 20 feet in front of him. Ambulance or cops werent even there yet. ugh.

My buddies used to come by my house when i was younger with their Gixxers and cbr's,. My dad used to shake his head and give them $hit, his words were

"You guys are nuts. Those bikes are the Japs revenge for the A-bomb"

Exhilaration
04-07-2010, 02:32 PM
I saw this early today...... Morgan Topel, 35 from Joliet, was killed in an accident while riding his motocycle home last night (Tues). I didn't know him personally.... He shot APA pool on Tues. nights, and was on his way home. Not sure if that was the same location.... just guessing..

Our sincere sympathies to his friends, teammates and family.

Magic Medicine
04-07-2010, 02:42 PM
Worked night shift last night, while running west on I80 aound midnite thru joliet just west of RT53, saw some dude layin in the roadway on the EB side with his crotch rocket about 20 feet in front of him. Ambulance or cops werent even there yet. ugh.

My buddies used to come by my house when i was younger with their Gixxers and cbr's,. My dad used to shake his head and give them $hit, his words were

"You guys are nuts. Those bikes are the Japs revenge for the A-bomb"

Sweet that must be that new gig you were talking about! Congrats:cheers2:

ICDEDPPL
04-09-2010, 11:15 AM
I saw that boat.. very nice, good luck with it

satisfied
04-10-2010, 11:45 PM
Sad hope you get that bad muther running like the way Brian had plans for it. I bet there won't be any drinking in his memory on it. Have a great summer.

Jeff and Jessica

MILD THUNDER
04-11-2010, 10:49 PM
Got some stuff done today. One engine ready to go. New plugs, cap, rotor, sea pump rebuilt, still need to do some polishing and odds misc little stuff to it....

MILD THUNDER
04-11-2010, 10:53 PM
Got the bilge cleaned and degreased the best i could. Its amazing that no matter how much you scrub, and rinse, theres always more grime coming from somewhere!!!!! But its looking better

MILD THUNDER
04-11-2010, 11:01 PM
My buddy who is a welder came by today to take a look at whats needed to repair the trailer. The box tubing that supports the winch and bow stop has seen better days. Odd why that rotted out. Seems that someone over the years installed a new jack, and cut into the box tubing, which must have allowed water to get in there and just sit. So my buddy is just going to cut that entire piece out and make a whole new piece for it. Brian put some really cool LED reverse lights on the trailer, every trailer should have these!

B.Z.
04-11-2010, 11:11 PM
Looks like it is coming along just fine

Magic Medicine
04-11-2010, 11:15 PM
Very nice!

MILD THUNDER
04-18-2010, 08:33 PM
Laid a fresh coat of gloss white in the bilge. Not a show type paint job, more or less to seal things up, and fresh paint seems to clean up better than old faded paint.

Cig Flat Deck
04-18-2010, 11:07 PM
Looks good

redhotsommer
04-19-2010, 05:57 AM
Nice Joe!

Magic Medicine
04-19-2010, 07:16 AM
getting closer

MILD THUNDER
04-20-2010, 12:39 AM
Just ordered the LED's for the bilge. Six 15" led tubes, with controller that changes to 7 different colors. Mainly went with this because I'll have the option of red accent lighting, or switch them to white, as to help if I need to do some service in there at night.

Slandrew
04-20-2010, 07:48 AM
Laid a fresh coat of gloss white in the bilge. Not a show type paint job, more or less to seal things up, and fresh paint seems to clean up better than old faded paint.

lNite&Day looks great did the same to mine West Systems sells real good bilge paint over 3 years since I did my motors still holding up well:USA:

MILD THUNDER
04-26-2010, 08:38 AM
Well, this weekend I got all the new led's installed in the bilge. They came out really nice.

My buddy came down yesterday and we worked on the trailer all day. Cut out the old rotted tube and welded in a new piece of steel tubing.

Something for you guys to check. I noticed BZ's myco is the same design as mine. The tube we replaced has a open end under the tongue area. Water can get in there, but no drain holes in the back of the tube where it meets the first crossmember. Talk about a rotted mess. This tube must have had some water sitting in there for some time.

We made up a plate for the top, and a plate for the crossmember. The crossmember had a 3x3 section where the rust had eaten away a bit from the moisture in the old tube. So thats why we welded a plate to that. I told him i care more about strength then appearance, so do what we gotta do! Should look better once all painted and stuff.

MILD THUNDER
04-26-2010, 08:50 AM
the old piece was 3x3 box tubing 3/16 thick. New tube is 3x5"and 1/4" thick..Thanks to scarrab 30, the piece he gave me worked out great. So did the 1/4" plate.

Next is welding a spare tire mount on, (and getting a spare) and I am tossing that bulldog 5k lb jack. I dont like that its a sob to crank on, and i hate that wobble you get on the front of the trailer. Im gonna go with one of these, with the spring actuated leg.

OBNOXUS
04-26-2010, 09:28 AM
I can save you a few bucks on the jack

Magic Medicine
04-26-2010, 10:44 AM
Looking good Joe! Hows the other motor coming along?

MILD THUNDER
04-26-2010, 08:16 PM
Looking good Joe! Hows the other motor coming along?

Other motor needs cap, rotor, advance springs, paint, and its ready. Then both motors and blowers get fresh oil and they are ready to go in. Bilge all set except for two new batteries. Boats coming along nicely.

The stereo system really rocks. There are two small babb speakers near the front footrests, and two 10" babb full range speakers under the rear bench. One of the rear 10inchers is toast, and the other one is iffy. Even with that its LOUD, and clear. But have 2 replacement babb 10"ers on the way. The babb full range 10" dont have that low end punch, since they arent subs. So i may add a single 10" sub under the rear bench for a little extra punch. i will say those babb (DC gold) speakers are great in a boat. 95+spl with 1 watt input. They are super efficient, and you dont need a giant amp to play them loud and clear.

redhotsommer
04-27-2010, 06:53 AM
Do you have the motor mount/positions set? That's where the "fun" comes in!

MILD THUNDER
04-27-2010, 07:25 AM
Do you have the motor mount/positions set? That's where the "fun" comes in!

Havent dropped one in yet, but considering its not a "new" rigging job, it should bolt right up. Keyword "should". As long as the old angle aluminum is there with old holes in them, and i am using the standard offshore mounts, things "should" line right up. we'll see

Kool-Aid Man
04-27-2010, 10:17 AM
Havent dropped one in yet, but considering its not a "new" rigging job, it should bolt right up. Keyword "should". As long as the old angle aluminum is there with old holes in them, and i am using the standard offshore mounts, things "should" line right up. we'll see

hahahahahahaha......I hope so buddy! I around this weekend so if you need my forklift driving skills to lower that motor in I'm available!!! I can still drive that and be on my blackberry!!!! haha

B.Z.
04-27-2010, 10:21 AM
Other motor needs cap, rotor, advance springs, paint, and its ready. Then both motors and blowers get fresh oil and they are ready to go in. Bilge all set except for two new batteries. Boats coming along nicely.

The stereo system really rocks. There are two small babb speakers near the front footrests, and two 10" babb full range speakers under the rear bench. One of the rear 10inchers is toast, and the other one is iffy. Even with that its LOUD, and clear. But have 2 replacement babb 10"ers on the way. The babb full range 10" dont have that low end punch, since they arent subs. So i may add a single 10" sub under the rear bench for a little extra punch. i will say those babb (DC gold) speakers are great in a boat. 95+spl with 1 watt input. They are super efficient, and you dont need a giant amp to play them loud and clear.

So are you saying you want in on the stereo wars???? Babb vs. JL vs. Memphis Audio???? hahhaha

B.Z.
04-27-2010, 10:22 AM
hahahahahahaha......I hope so buddy! I around this weekend so if you need my forklift driving skills to lower that motor in I'm available!!! I can still drive that and be on my blackberry!!!! haha

PS if it rains I will be around this week-end also....

35 Lightning
04-27-2010, 03:32 PM
Your boat looks great, I like it.

Magic Medicine
04-27-2010, 04:08 PM

Fingers crossed! :eek::bump:

Magic Medicine
04-27-2010, 04:09 PM
So are you saying you want in on the stereo wars???? Babb vs. JL vs. Memphis Audio???? hahhaha

I'll put my cash on JL!!!! At least when I was into that chit they were one of the best for the money!

Magic Medicine
04-27-2010, 04:09 PM
PS if it rains I will be around this week-end also....

Its gonna be nice on saturday!:icon_bs:

MILD THUNDER
04-27-2010, 05:49 PM
I'll put my cash on JL!!!! At least when I was into that chit they were one of the best for the money!

No doubt cant go wrong with JL speakers. Im excited though, as soundstream brought back their old reference series amps, built to their old specs with a couple improvements. If anyone remembers the good sound quality stuff from 15-20 years ago, soundstream was tough to beat when it came to amps. I'd love to do a soundstream amp setup with some CDT speakers, but not in this years budget!

MILD THUNDER
04-27-2010, 05:50 PM
Your boat looks great, I like it.

Thanks, Yours aint to shabby either!

dykstra
05-03-2010, 06:39 PM
Congrats!!!

Magic Medicine
05-03-2010, 07:54 PM
Joe,

Boat looked great on Sunday!!!!

MILD THUNDER
05-04-2010, 02:59 AM
Joe,

Boat looked great on Sunday!!!!

Thanks....Mechanical stuff im workin on. Ryan's gonna help out with some of the visual stuff. Lettering, some trim stuff it needs too. Talked with Fountain today, and they stock the acrylic wind deflector for it, and priced reasonable too.

Magic Medicine
05-10-2010, 07:56 AM
Any new progress to report???

MILD THUNDER
05-10-2010, 02:24 PM
Any new progress to report???

This weekend wasnt too productive. Had a hangup on the rear mounts, should have what i need by this weekend. Engines are both ready to drop in. Getting all the little misc parts i needed takes a little time.

Things i need to get done

Install other tailstock on one tranny.

Enlarge exhaust cutouts

Replace stbd fuel tank sending unit

Change engine oil and blower oil

Install engines

Get new hyd steering lines to the rams

Order and install acrylic wind deflector from Fountain (it had one at one time)

Make up vinyl caps for the sides of the faring

Get new cockpit carpet made

Get cabin steam cleaned

Wash and wax

Find props

DAREDEVIL
05-10-2010, 02:40 PM
This weekend wasnt too productive. Had a hangup on the rear mounts, should have what i need by this weekend. Engines are both ready to drop in. Getting all the little misc parts i needed takes a little time.

Things i need to get done

Install other tailstock on one tranny.

Enlarge exhaust cutouts

Replace stbd fuel tank sending unit

Change engine oil and blower oil

Install engines

Get new hyd steering lines to the rams

Order and install acrylic wind deflector from Fountain (it had one at one time)

Make up vinyl caps for the sides of the faring

Get new cockpit carpet made

Get cabin steam cleaned

Wash and wax

Find props

sounds like a days list to me ..hahahahaha:rolleyes::sifone:

Why do u need to change the tailstock ??? whats wrong with it.....easy to rebuild !

MILD THUNDER
05-10-2010, 02:43 PM
sounds like a days list to me ..hahahahaha:rolleyes::sifone:

Why do u need to change the tailstock ??? whats wrong with it.....easy to rebuild !

Had TRS tailstocks on my trannies, needed ssm plug in style tailstocks. Got lucky finding two of them. Have a couple good TRS tailstocks if you know anyone Scotty...

redhotsommer
05-10-2010, 02:45 PM
Joe...call Kirk at Elite Marine for that sender. And I've got Harvey's number for you if you want the carpet made...he's the same guy that did the canvas for that boat, as well as the canvas for my cockpit cover and both canvas and carpet for the Python....give me a call.

MILD THUNDER
05-10-2010, 02:53 PM
Joe...call Kirk at Elite Marine for that sender. And I've got Harvey's number for you if you want the carpet made...he's the same guy that did the canvas for that boat, as well as the canvas for my cockpit cover and both canvas and carpet for the Python....give me a call.

Will do. Harvey will come out to measure make the carpet correct? Prob gonna go with RED carpet. Not sure which shade of red though. The cockpit vinyl is maroonish, while the boats paint is more red. Probably going to redo the vinyl this winter, and would replace the maroon with red. I think with fresh cockpit vinyl, and a dash makeover, the boat would look BRAND NEW!

B.Z.
05-10-2010, 03:26 PM
Will do. Harvey will come out to measure make the carpet correct? Prob gonna go with RED carpet. Not sure which shade of red though. The cockpit vinyl is maroonish, while the boats paint is more red. Probably going to redo the vinyl this winter, and would replace the maroon with red. I think with fresh cockpit vinyl, and a dash makeover, the boat would look BRAND NEW!

It would look brand new other than the drives that will give it away..they stopped making them in 1957....LOL

MILD THUNDER
05-10-2010, 03:31 PM
It would look brand new other than the drives that will give it away..they stopped making them in 1957....LOL

Ya, your NEW style drives worked out so well for you! How many of those did you blow up? :eek:

:cheers2:

redhotsommer
05-10-2010, 04:23 PM
Hahahahahahaaaaaaaa!

MILD THUNDER
05-10-2010, 04:36 PM
Just got a call from Art. I gave him the bushings i ordered from merc for the rear engine mounts so he can press them in at the shop. Says the bushings wont go in. WTF. These damn rear mounts are pi$$in me off. I dont want to go to rear plate type mounts, because it will be a pain in the a$$ taking all that apart again, machining, starter issues, etc. HUUUUUUUHH

DAREDEVIL
05-10-2010, 04:53 PM

I can see u are a very smart guy...LOL:rolleyes:

They still make gears and all the internals for them + u never need anything if u check them once in a while .....what did u say u had on your boat ????:sifone:

DAREDEVIL
05-10-2010, 04:57 PM
Just got a call from Art. I gave him the bushings i ordered from merc for the rear engine mounts so he can press them in at the shop. Says the bushings wont go in. WTF. These damn rear mounts are pi$$in me off. I dont want to go to rear plate type mounts, because it will be a pain in the a$$ taking all that apart again, machining, starter issues, etc. HUUUUUUUHH

Why would u have starter issues.:confused:..REAR PLATES IS THE WAY TO GO !!!!!!!

Nothing easyer then that once set up correct !!!!!! :cheers2:
What do u need to maschine ??? mill the bellhousing off 3/8's any maschine shop can do that in 20 min for both !!!! 3/8 steel ,,cut it ..done !!
2 aluminum angles on each stringer ...done, set engines ( line up )..drill holes, set bolts 3 each side...finito !!!!!!! READY TO ROLL , NEVER SAG !!!!!!

redhotsommer
05-10-2010, 05:39 PM
I can see u are a very smart guy...LOL:rolleyes:

They still make gears and all the internals for them + u never need anything if u check them once in a while .....what did u say u had on your boat ????:sifone:

Nobody ever accused BZ of being smart, Scott, but I DO think he was just kidding!:bump:

B.Z.
05-10-2010, 06:04 PM
Ya, your NEW style drives worked out so well for you! How many of those did you blow up? :eek:

Awww Snap....

DAREDEVIL
05-10-2010, 06:30 PM
Nobody ever accused BZ of being smart, Scott, but I DO think he was just kidding!:bump:

No,NO,,he is dead serious.........LOL

Magic Medicine
05-11-2010, 12:50 PM

I think that was due to the throttle man or the excellent set up the boat got at the Fountain factory.

Magic Medicine
05-11-2010, 12:52 PM
Looks like you are making good progress Joe. I take it you got that other motor painted!

Tony M
05-19-2010, 09:21 AM
Just got a call from Art. I gave him the bushings i ordered from merc for the rear engine mounts so he can press them in at the shop. Says the bushings wont go in. WTF. These damn rear mounts are pi$$in me off. I dont want to go to rear plate type mounts, because it will be a pain in the a$$ taking all that apart again, machining, starter issues, etc. HUUUUUUUHH When that Big Mamy Jamer Coming out To Play! "You dam turn coat" :sifone:

MILD THUNDER
05-19-2010, 11:23 PM
When that Big Mamy Jamer Coming out To Play! "You dam turn coat" :sifone:

purty soon....got my motor mounts in the mail today :)

Hmm, drop motors in friday, boating by saturday? :iagree:

Magic Medicine
05-20-2010, 08:06 AM
purty soon....got my motor mounts in the mail today :)

Hmm, drop motors in friday, boating by saturday? :iagree:

Do work son!!!! Let me know if ya need a hand. I need to get to the wareshouse to do some cleaning or boating????

MILD THUNDER
06-01-2010, 08:09 PM
UPDATE.

Rear Motor Plates are in. Thanks to REDHOTSOMMER who convienently picked them up for me while vacationing in loto. Thanks Again Mike!

So. With that being said, these F'in motors are going in the boat this weekend! Then next week during the week, its gonna be hookin some stuff up, and sea trialing that weekend. Just might make south haven this year!

If the weather sucks this weekend, and anyone feels boredom, lonely, energetic, feel free to come by. I can assign specific duties.

Someone to help me monkey around in bilge (Keith lady gaga)?
Lettering removal (ryan)?
General cleaning (BZ is good at this)?
Winch stand mounted back on trailer (magic medicine)?
prime/paint newly welded steel part on trailer (rattle can :) ) (Tony M)?
trailer wheels could use a polish (hippie kid and Andy tag team)?
Pump old stale fuel from my boat into BZ's boat (ME)?
Forklift operator (Kool-aid) ? BTW, is there a throttle limit on those fork trucks for this guy??
Shop cleanup (BZ again)?
General Supervisor (Big D)?

WE can get a lot done in a hour or two! Then beers on BZ the rest of the day!

OBNOXUS
06-01-2010, 10:01 PM
I can handle my assigned duties !!!!!

B.Z.
06-01-2010, 11:12 PM
I can handle my assigned duties !!!!!

yeah...none!!!! but I sure got a lot????

Magic Medicine
06-02-2010, 12:46 PM
I want to trade jobs with Den!

MILD THUNDER
06-02-2010, 02:11 PM
I want to trade jobs with Den!

We can only have so many chiefs. We need some indians!

Weather looks like crap, so it might be a good weekend for this. Bellhousings at shop waiting to get machined. Once they are done its go time.

DAREDEVIL
06-02-2010, 02:23 PM
We can only have so many chiefs. We need some indians!

Weather looks like crap, so it might be a good weekend for this. Bellhousings at shop waiting to get machined. Once they are done its go time.

Damn, u shure need some indians....how long are u gonna drag this project ????? :willy_nilly::sifone::bump::eek::smash:

redhotsommer
06-02-2010, 02:27 PM
Since my dad is doing the bellhousing machining...I think that makes me exempt. I'll be the official drinking spectator/smartass comment maker.

DAREDEVIL
06-02-2010, 02:55 PM
Since my dad is doing the bellhousing machining...I think that makes me exempt. I'll be the official drinking spectator/smartass comment maker.

WHAT ????? u take my job now ?? lol:rolleyes:

MILD THUNDER
06-02-2010, 03:48 PM

The Hippie Kid comes thru big time this week for Mild Thunder....:cheers2:

Tell ur dad thanks again! Cool shop!

MILD THUNDER
06-02-2010, 03:55 PM
Damn, u shure need some indians....how long are u gonna drag this project ????? :willy_nilly::sifone::bump::eek::smash:

OUCH! Below the belt on that one.....

I was hoping you were gonna come up and help! Where the hell ya been :toetap05:

Magic Medicine
06-02-2010, 07:10 PM
Hey Joe,

If you'd answer your phone once in awhile I might help you. What da ya think you are the big Ravioli now or something???

OBNOXUS
06-02-2010, 10:28 PM
Hey,,,,,I'm ready to supervise !!!!!!!!

DAREDEVIL
06-02-2010, 10:33 PM
Hey,,,,,I'm ready to supervise !!!!!!!!

HAHAHAHA:willy_nilly:

DAREDEVIL
06-02-2010, 10:33 PM
Hey Joe,

If you'd answer your phone once in awhile I might help you. What da ya think you are the big Ravioli now or something???

Did somebody say something about food ?????

WHERE ?? I be there !!!:cheers2:

Tony M
06-03-2010, 09:00 AM
Beer n Food Beer n more Beer Beer Here!

Tony M
06-03-2010, 09:03 AM
Hey,,,,,I'm ready to supervise !!!!!!!! have to many Big Boats line Up! You just don't have the time to supervise :willy_nilly::willy_nilly::willy_nilly::toetap05: :sifone:.

Magic Medicine
06-04-2010, 06:39 AM
Did somebody say something about food ?????

WHERE ?? I be there !!!:cheers2:

We don't eat, we get all the wheat and barley we need from other sources:sifone:

MILD THUNDER
06-05-2010, 08:21 PM
Today Tony M and I mounted the rear plates, bellhousings, and trannies. Still need a couple fittings, but tomorrow motors are going in.

OBNOXUS
06-05-2010, 08:38 PM
I think you should have gotten further today,,,,,,but hey,,,,,,Im just the supervisor !!!!!

MILD THUNDER
06-05-2010, 09:12 PM
I think you should have gotten further today,,,,,,but hey,,,,,,Im just the supervisor !!!!!

Got there around 9, got flywheels off, flexplates off, plates on, re-installed them, bellhousings, trannies, electrical mounts, had to remove filter adapter fittings, rig up starboard headers, install stringer mounts, steering cooler and lines, rig electric pump for pumping tanks, and talk to tony while doing all this. Thats a full day for us truck drivers! lol

Tomorrow will be take care of fittings, starters, and oil filter bracketry, then when my forklift operator arrives, drop them in and hook up fuel lines, cables, and fresh oil...

DAREDEVIL
06-06-2010, 03:22 PM
3:22 sunday UPDATE !!!????:sifone:

redhotsommer
06-06-2010, 04:28 PM
Joe, Andy and Brian are all there working as we speak...

OBNOXUS
06-06-2010, 05:43 PM
The saws all was out when Rich and I came back with the OuterLimits so I just left !!!!! :willy_nilly:

Tony M
06-06-2010, 08:45 PM
Joe, Andy and Brian are all there working as we speak... What About Me! :seeya:

Magic Medicine
06-06-2010, 09:47 PM
Yeah Tony was there all day. Working on dropping in #1 motor when I left at 4:30.

MILD THUNDER
06-06-2010, 11:39 PM
Came across another problem today. Couldnt get the Friggin holes to line up on the plates/Angle iron....was drivin me nuts....nipple on bellhousing cooler was hangin up on the angle iron, fixed that issue. Then the rear raceplate bottoms out on the stringer that runs under the oil pans! Couldnt figure out why the F the front plate lined up fine until we put the rear plates on....now i know why!

Thanks again Tony, brian and andy for the help today, and puttin up with me! If u guys werent there tools woulda been flyin for sure!

DAREDEVIL
06-07-2010, 12:26 AM
Came across another problem today. Couldnt get the Friggin holes to line up on the plates/Angle iron....was drivin me nuts....nipple on bellhousing cooler was hangin up on the angle iron, fixed that issue. Then the rear raceplate bottoms out on the stringer that runs under the oil pans! Couldnt figure out why the F the front plate lined up fine until we put the rear plates on....now i know why!

Thanks again Tony, brian and andy for the help today, and puttin up with me! If u guys werent there tools woulda been flyin for sure!

Damn,,,looks like your working on a boat ...lol:rolleyes::sifone:

The best way to manage boat chit is to stay calm...i can never do that either,,lol :ack2::willy_nilly:

Magic Medicine
06-07-2010, 06:24 AM

Joe,

You were alot more calm than I would have been. Whats the next step. Maybe we need to fly dare devil in more florida to lend a hand???:sifone:

scarrab30
06-07-2010, 08:55 AM
Joe, I hope you know, nobody else has these minor hic-ups! As you know everything went so smoothly for me. Brian

MILD THUNDER
06-07-2010, 09:10 AM
Joe, I hope you know, nobody else has these minor hic-ups! As you know everything went so smoothly for me. Brian
The rear plate prob wasnt a issue when the boat had TRS. But when they rigged it with the ssm they moved the engines back about 2.5", and thats right where the stringer angles upwards. When i painted the bilge there were marks/little gouges on that stringer where the old plates musta hit them.

MILD THUNDER
06-07-2010, 09:18 AM
PIC

DAREDEVIL
06-07-2010, 10:08 AM
Isn't working on boats fun..a lot of fun ????!!!!!!:ack2::willy_nilly::sifone:

Get -R- done !!!!!!!!!!!!!!:cheers2:

OBNOXUS
06-07-2010, 10:26 AM
You had the saws all out,,,,, what was the problem !!!!???

MILD THUNDER
06-07-2010, 10:34 AM
You had the saws all out,,,,, what was the problem !!!!???

I felt underpowered. I think im gonna bring out the gas Stihl chain saw...:)

Tony M
06-07-2010, 11:35 AM
I felt underpowered. I think im gonna bring out the gas Stihl chain saw...:) There Batman ! :willy_nilly::willy_nilly: :smash::smash: :sifone:.

Magic Medicine
06-07-2010, 08:58 PM
Well we got the Sunny ready, just add beer!

DAREDEVIL
06-07-2010, 09:02 PM
Well we got the Sunny ready, just add beer!

Did u get the engines in ??

Magic Medicine
06-08-2010, 06:25 AM
Did u get the engines in ??

Putting engines in the Fountain. The Sunny needed a coat of wax and like I said just add beer!:driving:

Tony M
06-08-2010, 09:02 AM
Did u get the engines in ?? Say , "Well" :cuss::cuss::cuss::leaving: Bad Subject For Now . :smash::smash:.

MILD THUNDER
06-09-2010, 11:59 PM
Port motor is in and fully rigged minus headers.

Good news is, now that the engine is in, and i finally have power to the dash, i got to find out that the bilge pumps, blowers, tabs, nav lights, drive trim, indicators, gauge lights, and all that stuff is fully operational!

Prob drop starboard motor in friday or saturday. Hopefully at least get to run it on the hose this weekend and set carbs up, timing, etc...

DAREDEVIL
06-10-2010, 12:05 AM

Good news is, now that the engine is in, and i finally have power to the dash, i got to find out that the bilge pumps, blowers, tabs, nav lights, drive trim, indicators, gauge lights, and all that stuff is fully operational!

Prob drop starboard motor in friday or saturday. Hopefully at least get to run it on the hose this weekend and set carbs up, timing, etc...

Nice !!!!!!...make shure u set up the carbs in the water , on the trailer under load at idle !!!!! Just a little tip !:cheers2:
And we need pictures....if not i cancel u the friendship...hahaha:sifone:

MILD THUNDER
06-10-2010, 12:11 AM
Nice !!!!!!...make shure u set up the carbs in the water , on the trailer under load at idle !!!!! Just a little tip !:cheers2:
And we need pictures....if not i cancel u the friendship...hahaha:sifone:

Yep, shouldnt have to do much to them as they ran great last year. I did have the floats a little too high though, so might need to lower them, other than that should be good there.

Heres a crappy pic i took with my phone today once i got that thing bolted in

DAREDEVIL
06-10-2010, 12:23 AM
Yep, shouldnt have to do much to them as they ran great last year. I did have the floats a little too high though, so might need to lower them, other than that should be good there.

Heres a crappy pic i took with my phone today once i got that thing bolted in

nice.....thanks :cheers2:

redhotsommer
06-10-2010, 05:39 AM
ALRIGHT JOE! What time will you be working on Friday?

MILD THUNDER
06-10-2010, 06:13 AM

Kinda depends on work tomorrow. If there aint anything going, Ill be down there all day. If I gotta work though, i may not be able to get down there till 6 or 7pm....:confused:

Magic Medicine
06-10-2010, 06:58 AM

Awesome!!!!!

Magic Medicine
06-10-2010, 07:00 AM

Tall Mike always willing to lend a helping hand!!! Rock on Bro!!!!:cheers2:

redhotsommer
06-10-2010, 07:44 AM
Yeah...I'll be lending a helping hand down in Wilmington today after work! If you are there during the day Friday, I can be there. Michelle is going to go with Cheryl to the Hawks victory parade...all I've got to do is clean up my boat for Sat and I'm good. Friday night I might be heading up to Wisconsin to go night riding...

Magic Medicine
06-10-2010, 11:50 AM
Yeah...I'll be lending a helping hand down in Wilmington today after work! If you are there during the day Friday, I can be there. Michelle is going to go with Cheryl to the Hawks victory parade...all I've got to do is clean up my boat for Sat and I'm good. Friday night I might be heading up to Wisconsin to go night riding...

u peddle biking sum biatch

OBNOXUS
06-10-2010, 02:29 PM

WHOO HOOO.....SO EXCITED TO BE GOING TO THE BLACKHAWKS RALLY PARADE!!!!!!!!!!

Joe, it's looking good.....can't wait to hear her running! :willy_nilly:

Mrs. OB

B.Z.
06-10-2010, 07:20 PM
Kinda depends on work tomorrow. If there aint anything going, Ill be down there all day. If I gotta work though, i may not be able to get down there till 6 or 7pm....:confused:

I will be in Calumet City all day working Friday....do you need any more tools??? LOL

MILD THUNDER
06-10-2010, 08:04 PM
I will be in Calumet City all day working Friday....do you need any more tools??? LOL

Only if i can demo them! By the way, has anyone seen or used either of my two bottle jacks i had in the barn? Needed one yesterday and they're both MIA.

MILD THUNDER
06-10-2010, 08:07 PM
WHOO HOOO.....SO EXCITED TO BE GOING TO THE BLACKHAWKS RALLY PARADE!!!!!!!!!!

Joe, it's looking good.....can't wait to hear her running! :willy_nilly:

Mrs. OB

Thanks! Hopefully soon....

Odd thing is im more excited to just finish wrenching and to spend a day washin and cleaning it rather than takin it out at this point..lol taking it out means something will break, then more wrenching! I think im just gonna put it together, wash it, and hang out in the barn the rest of the summer with the stereo playing.

OBNOXUS
06-10-2010, 10:39 PM
Only if i can demo them! By the way, has anyone seen or used either of my two bottle jacks i had in the barn? Needed one yesterday and they're both MIA.

You saw me bring the one back I used !!!!!

Magic Medicine
06-11-2010, 06:27 AM
Some BZ how bout a hook up on a couple used pivioting ratchets?? 1/4 and 3/8" please!!!

DAREDEVIL
06-11-2010, 07:25 AM
Thanks! Hopefully soon....

Odd thing is im more excited to just finish wrenching and to spend a day washin and cleaning it rather than takin it out at this point..lol taking it out means something will break, then more wrenching! I think im just gonna put it together, wash it, and hang out in the barn the rest of the summer with the stereo playing.

If u don't run it will likeley break faster then running the PI$$ out of and its less fun !!!!! LOL:cheers2::sifone::seeya:

MILD THUNDER
06-12-2010, 08:55 PM
AHHHHH.......

tnt1
06-13-2010, 01:48 AM
its been a while since ive seen those motors. boat looks good like to see how it runs. im redoing a older 42 lighting right now

redhotsommer
06-13-2010, 09:14 AM
Let's go boatin' today Joe!

MILD THUNDER
06-13-2010, 09:43 AM
Let's go boatin' today Joe!

Still gotta put a mount a sea pump, alternator, and modify my tailpipe trim rings. Oh, and get some props to try..and mainly a good wash....But its lookin like a boat again!

MILD THUNDER
06-13-2010, 09:44 AM
its been a while since ive seen those motors. boat looks good like to see how it runs. im redoing a older 42 lighting right now

You still have the Stinger?? That is a awesome ride

Magic Medicine
06-13-2010, 01:32 PM
AHHHHH.......

Very nice!!!!!!

MILD THUNDER
06-14-2010, 12:20 AM
Got to give the boat a good scrubbing today. Also fired the port engine..fired right up and ran great. No adjustments needed.

MILD THUNDER
06-14-2010, 12:33 AM
qzwrGAT1-Uo

Sound really sucks using the cellphone, and kept pickin up some kind of backround racket, but you get the idea.

redhotsommer
06-14-2010, 06:09 AM
Can't wait to see that bad boy run! If you need some help "adjusting" to the left-hand controls, you just let me know...

kerigoff
06-14-2010, 08:07 AM
Looks Great Joe, I'm sure Brian is smiling and he'll be egging you on to push her to the limit!

Magic Medicine
06-14-2010, 11:29 AM
Awesome Joe! Can't wait to go for a spin!!!!

tnt1
06-16-2010, 12:24 AM
joe i do still have the stinger should be out soom let me know if you need to try out my props

Hammer01
06-16-2010, 01:43 AM
You put in a lot of hard work Bro, progress is impressive!!!!! Congrats!!! I'm sure you can't wait to run her across the lake!!! Have a great weekend buddy and remove all the stress!!!!! Hot dog and VR style!!!!

MILD THUNDER
06-16-2010, 09:55 AM
You put in a lot of hard work Bro, progress is impressive!!!!! Congrats!!! I'm sure you can't wait to run her across the lake!!! Have a great weekend buddy and remove all the stress!!!!! Hot dog and VR style!!!!

Thanks man. Although theres still some more to do, im feeling much better about the fact the boat is clean and motors are where theyre supposed to be!

Gonna need to replace all the trailer tires though. Upon further inspection, there is some sidewall cracking going on. Which is a shame cuz they are some nice michelins with 90% tread left!

redhotsommer
06-16-2010, 10:06 AM
See if you can go to Discount Tire...they will pro-rate tread (or at least they did in the past with my Jeep tires...)

MILD THUNDER
06-16-2010, 10:09 AM
See if you can go to Discount Tire...they will pro-rate tread (or at least they did in the past with my Jeep tires...)

Dont u have to buy the tires from them? Or no?

Magic Medicine
06-16-2010, 10:39 AM

I would think so. Let me know what kind of pricing you get Joe and I will see
what I can do.

redhotsommer
06-16-2010, 10:54 AM

Well...yeah. That's how pro-rating works...they'll credit you for the life left on the existing tires and subtract that from the cost of the new ones...

Magic Medicine
06-16-2010, 11:15 AM
Well...yeah. That's how pro-rating works...they'll credit you for the life left on the existing tires and subtract that from the cost of the new ones...

I think Joe meant purchased the tires from them originally, ie the current trailer tires.

redhotsommer
06-16-2010, 12:04 PM
In that case, no. I bought a brand new Wrangler, brought it straight over to them, and they swapped out the stock tires for 31.5 BFG All-Terrains for like $35 per tire for all 5, mounted and balanced.

Magic Medicine
06-16-2010, 12:39 PM
In that case, no. I bought a brand new Wrangler, brought it straight over to them, and they swapped out the stock tires for 31.5 BFG All-Terrains for like $35 per tire for all 5, mounted and balanced.

Well not much help then. If I can get a size I will get a price???????

MILD THUNDER
08-01-2010, 10:38 AM
Its been a while since i have updated.

The boat has been running good. Still have lots on the to-do list for it, but for now, I have been enjoying it. Best speed so far on my max GPS recording was 83mph. Yesterday on flatwater i got 79mph. Impressive for a old straight bottom 38.

Compared to the 40' Formula, and 40' excalibur i owned, this is much more of a drivers boat, which i like. Cruising along at 50mph, the prior boats were hard to beat ride quality wise, but once the Fountain gets around 65+, rides like a dream thru the chop.

MILD THUNDER
08-01-2010, 10:49 AM
Also, with the help of cig38flatdeck and keith 420nytroboy, we went thru the trailer, replaced all bearings, seals, and races, and converted over to electric brakes. The old surge system had seen better days. Next season should be ready for some loto and cumberland trips....

Magic Medicine
08-02-2010, 08:26 AM
Awesome!!! This boat rides great and is pretty quite!!!!

OBNOXUS
08-02-2010, 09:18 AM
quiet even :sifone:

redhotsommer
08-02-2010, 09:28 AM
It is QUITE awesome is what Andy meant.

Magic Medicine
08-02-2010, 09:55 AM
quiet even :sifone:

It is QUITE awesome is what Andy meant.

I just made a Tony M

Tony M
08-02-2010, 12:40 PM
I just made a Tony M There Big boy You F up !:huh::hurray:. Don't blame Me jr.

MILD THUNDER
12-17-2010, 04:53 PM
Time for some winter fun. Yanked the old dash and steering wheel. Gauges are of 1996 Vintage from the labels on them. Sending out panels to premier powdercoating (kevin from team marine). Going with candy red for the panels, chrome powdercoat on the throttle plate, and candy red handles on the throttles, all new chrome LED pilot indicator lights, boots and bezels, and some autometer pro comp ultra platinum gauges with chrome rims. Going with candy red/chrome wheel. Should look alot better

ICDEDPPL
12-19-2010, 12:18 PM
That should look sweet after its done!, looks like a wiring mess right now thou haha

MILD THUNDER
12-19-2010, 11:09 PM
That should look sweet after its done!, looks like a wiring mess right now thou haha

That it is! Fountain does it so nice though. The dash unplugs from the boat harness, and out it comes. Sure beats wiring all that $hit standing in the boat...much easier to do it at home while sipping egg nog..

Magic Medicine
12-20-2010, 11:46 AM
should look great with you get it done!

10x
12-30-2010, 04:02 PM
Joe, it'll look real nice when you get it done. I wish I still had half the enthusiasm you have. LMAO :leaving:

MILD THUNDER
12-30-2010, 05:10 PM
Joe, it'll look real nice when you get it done. I wish I still had half the enthusiasm you have. LMAO :leaving:

Thanks Frank....Mainly trying to get the boat up to date so to speak. The outside is in great shape for a 21 year old boat. The inside now needs some updating.

Other than the dash, and a few other things for the cockpit, that should be it for this year. I hope. :confused:

sweet addiction
12-30-2010, 11:28 PM
Love your boat!! I am actually interested in 35' but I keep seeing these 38' straight bottoms and it gets me thinking. I am trying to get rid of my Checkmate so after that the hunt is on. Not decided on 35 or 38 but I want to find something without motors and drives, and in decent shape. A little work does not scare me. Keep up the good work!!

Thanks Frank....Mainly trying to get the boat up to date so to speak. The outside is in great shape for a 21 year old boat. The inside now needs some updating.

Other than the dash, and a few other things for the cockpit, that should be it for this year. I hope. :confused:

SC288
12-31-2010, 08:31 PM
Joe....there are a couple guys on Boatfreaks looking for you....they are interested in your huffers! :sifone:

MILICEVICGM
01-01-2011, 12:55 PM
Joe, give me a call when time permits.

Thanks, G.

MILD THUNDER
01-01-2011, 09:21 PM
Joe, give me a call when time permits.

Thanks, G.

George, heading to dinner now, ill give ya a shout tomorrow...Joe

MILD THUNDER
01-04-2011, 05:41 PM
New blowers getting polished up, and going thru the carbs. Carb finish wasnt so great, so decided to give them a new look while rebuilding....Kind of hard to get a great shine from the older cast blowers, but came out ok with some jewelers rouge and buffing wheels...One down, and one to go.

MILD THUNDER
01-04-2011, 05:44 PM
Hard to tell with camera phone, but they polished up nicely.

SC288
01-04-2011, 07:52 PM
New blowers getting polished up, and going thru the carbs. Carb finish wasnt so great, so decided to give them a new look while rebuilding....Kind of hard to get a great shine from the older cast blowers, but came out ok with some jewelers rouge and buffing wheels...One down, and one to go.

Lookin' good Joe. How did you prep the carbs. for paint. Mine are unpainted as well right now and would like to paint them silver....wasn't sure if they should be primed or just cleaned and painted. If just cleaned what did you prep them with. My intakes will be going on this weekend and we will get the valve covers fabbed up after that.

Twin Whackas
01-04-2011, 09:17 PM
If I need help working on a fountain. :toetap05: I am calling Joe. By the time you are done you will know every inch of that boat and should almost be able to build a fountain from scratch.

MILD THUNDER
01-04-2011, 09:57 PM
Lookin' good Joe. How did you prep the carbs. for paint. Mine are unpainted as well right now and would like to paint them silver....wasn't sure if they should be primed or just cleaned and painted. If just cleaned what did you prep them with. My intakes will be going on this weekend and we will get the valve covers fabbed up after that.

Dipped them in carb clean (carb dip) bucket, let them soak for about 20-30 minutes. Dry them out, then hit them again with spray carb clean to get any more solvent off. I ended up using rustoleum gloss black hand painted with detail brushes. For the linkage, i primed, then sprayed with gold paint, along with the bowl screws and accel pump screws. Metering blocks were taped off, then shot with red spray paint. All the brass screws, like the quick change jet screws, and float screws, i hit with rouge and a buffing wheel. came out like mirrors

The nice thing about the rustoleum paint is the high gloss. Dont think i could have gotten that good of a gloss from a rattle can job. The carb's are old, linkage arms showed rust and corrosion, etc. Not exactly a high dollar job, but they look alot better, and it was fun doing it while sitting in Ryans garage while he was working on his blower polishing.

MILD THUNDER
01-04-2011, 10:03 PM
If I need help working on a fountain. :toetap05: I am calling Joe. By the time you are done you will know every inch of that boat and should almost be able to build a fountain from scratch.

Well, Reggie is no longer at Fountain. Maybe i can give him a call and team up with him on his new ventures. Not sure how he would feel about me supplying new boats with rustoleum painted carburetors? :confused:

MILD THUNDER
01-04-2011, 10:21 PM

BTW, if you have the 4150 carbs, you can just buy the chrome type fuel bowls for them, then paint the metering blocks your color of choice, and main body. Of course painting the bowls is much cheaper. The big thing nowadays with the fancy carbs from AED, quick fuel, holley ultra series, and willys, is the metering blocks being a different color than the rest of the carb. Most of their stuff is anodized billet metering blocks.

Doesnt get any sexier than these when it comes to carbs.....:sifone:

SC288
01-05-2011, 09:31 AM
Dipped them in carb clean (carb dip) bucket, let them soak for about 20-30 minutes. Dry them out, then hit them again with spray carb clean to get any more solvent off. I ended up using rustoleum gloss black hand painted with detail brushes. For the linkage, i primed, then sprayed with gold paint, along with the bowl screws and accel pump screws. Metering blocks were taped off, then shot with red spray paint. All the brass screws, like the quick change jet screws, and float screws, i hit with rouge and a buffing wheel. came out like mirrors

The nice thing about the rustoleum paint is the high gloss. Dont think i could have gotten that good of a gloss from a rattle can job. The carb's are old, linkage arms showed rust and corrosion, etc. Not exactly a high dollar job, but they look alot better, and it was fun doing it while sitting in Ryans garage while he was working on his blower polishing.

Thanks for the info. Joe! :cheers2:

ICDEDPPL
01-05-2011, 12:18 PM
Awesome progress, I thought my carbs were big, looks like you got 4 bowls that you could use for breakfast cereal :biggrinjester:

OBNOXUS
01-05-2011, 02:24 PM
Lookin good !!!!

Cant wait to hear it crackle now !!!

B.Z.
01-05-2011, 06:51 PM
I like your style bigger is always better.....

Exhilaration
01-05-2011, 07:01 PM
looks real nice Joe!

MILD THUNDER
01-05-2011, 07:43 PM
Awesome progress, I thought my carbs were big, looks like you got 4 bowls that you could use for breakfast cereal :biggrinjester:

I can use them for dipping sauces when people come over. They can dip their Mcnuggets in there. Easy to clean to, afterwards i have to do is hold them WOT and let the sauce drain out, quick shot of carb clean, and mount them back on the blowers.

Magic Medicine
01-06-2011, 08:51 AM
Looking good pal!!!! Maybe when we finish out mc nuggets rhino and keith will make us
some chocolate martinas????

redhotsommer
01-06-2011, 10:01 AM
Looking good pal!!!! Maybe when we finish out mc nuggets rhino and keith will make us
some chocolate martinas????

Chocolate Martina? Sounds like a half African-American/half Polish hooker...

Magic Medicine
01-06-2011, 10:02 AM
Chocolate Martina? Sounds like a half African-American/half Polish hooker...

the spell check moderator has spoken:smash:

OBNOXUS
01-06-2011, 10:29 AM
I bet she'd be hot to !!!!!!

The big 80's (mall hair do ) and all !!!!!

ICDEDPPL
01-06-2011, 09:16 PM
Question; those blowers do they wine like a blower should? In all my automotive applications my blowers have always whined, my truck whines like bitch but on my boat I never hear it:confused:
Always wondered why

MILD THUNDER
01-06-2011, 10:33 PM
Question; those blowers do they wine like a blower should? In all my automotive applications my blowers have always whined, my truck whines like bitch but on my boat I never hear it:confused:
Always wondered why

Some blowers make more noise than others. My 177 weiands made some serious noise. Crack the hatches and it gets REAL loud. Just ask ryan how he enjoyed sitting in the back seat coming back from michigan city in october. I cracked the hatches about 2" and with them open, you can barely hear the exhaust noise.

The blowers with the serpentine style grooves are very quiet until you start spinning them fast. The big cog tooth blowers are noisy even at idle.

On your blower, how much boost are you running? If its a low boost setup with a large driven pulley, they dont make too much noise.

heres running with the hatches closed and the little 177 blowers.

http://www.seriousoffshore.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18714

Twin Whackas
01-06-2011, 10:57 PM
My 10-71 littlefield on my American Offshore was ridiculously loud. Sounded cool, but almost got annoying after a while.

Magic Medicine
01-07-2011, 09:22 AM
Blower whine rules!!!!!!!!

Tony M
01-07-2011, 09:56 AM
Question; < those blowers do they wine like a blower should?> In all my automotive applications my blowers have always whined, my truck whines like bitch but on my boat I never hear it:confused:
Always wondered why An I'm Not Going To say another Word . :ack2:

Magic Medicine
01-07-2011, 10:20 AM
An I'm Not Going To say another Word . :ack2:

Begining to wonder if you were still around??? How goes it old man??????:03:

ICDEDPPL
01-07-2011, 11:24 AM
I`m only at 5psi and running a 8rib.
I love the sound in that video at least you can hear the blower.
Please Tony say something!!:leaving:

no blower whine at all (don`t laugh at my face trying to come off haha)

http://i908.photobucket.com/albums/ac287/gregbed/Boaters%20Beach%20Michigan%20City/th_DSCN0553.jpg (http://s908.photobucket.com/albums/ac287/gregbed/Boaters%20Beach%20Michigan%20City/?action=view&current=DSCN0553.mp4)

10x
01-08-2011, 03:58 PM
Joe, everything looks great. You might wanna look into running 2 smaller 4 bbls on top the blowers. There's a real bad problem with the single carb application, as it tends to let a couple cylinders run way too lean. Just something you might want to look into unless you're gonna run them on a dyno and be able to check cyl temps.

Also, a friend of mine that's local takes all the rusty corroded carb hardware and tumbles it. Then he replates it and makes it all look new again. He does my stuff every few years for me. This is what he does for a living along with building custom carbs for specific applications, and ships all over the country.

MILD THUNDER
01-08-2011, 05:38 PM
Joe, everything looks great. You might wanna look into running 2 smaller 4 bbls on top the blowers. There's a real bad problem with the single carb application, as it tends to let a couple cylinders run way too lean. Just something you might want to look into unless you're gonna run them on a dyno and be able to check cyl temps.

Also, a friend of mine that's local takes all the rusty corroded carb hardware and tumbles it. Then he replates it and makes it all look new again. He does my stuff every few years for me. This is what he does for a living along with building custom carbs for specific applications, and ships all over the country.

Thanks Frank, not as great as yours though!

I hear ya on the carb thing. Found out that mounting the single dominator sideways on this blower helps that distribution issue. Mounting it inline, the throttle blades point towards the center bottom of carb, sending fuel from the boosters right in the center. Someone tried the sideways mounting setup and lowered the outer cylinder temps by a couple hundred degrees on the dyno.

I also plan to run water dumps from the rear of the intake water jackets, supposedly helps keep the back cylinders cool and from steam pockets forming. I think the issue with the single carb setup is in order to get the farther cylinders jetted safe, the inner ones end up being way to fat. I had the 177 weiands with a single 4150 carb, everything ran great, but i hear the 250's are a little worse with the distribution. For some reason, the carb sits further forward on the 250 vs the 177. Couldnt figure out why when i first installed the motors in the boat, that the hatch insert that was installed to clear the blowers air cleaner, didnt line up right with the 177. Come to find out the boat had the B&M 250's back in the day.

Either way, plan to get them on a dyno for tuning. Worse case i end up having to run the dual carb setup, which if i do intercoolers i would definitly want the dual carbs.

I like the way your steering cooler is mounted. Good idea. I may have to do that with the plate running between the front and rear plates as a mounting point for the cooler..:)

MILD THUNDER
01-08-2011, 05:46 PM
Btw, with that setup frank, did you run a electric fuel pump to the mechanical pump, or just that mechanical holley? I notice most 130GPH mech pumps require a regulator, and the 110 and 120GPH holleys do not. I did find a GM performance Marine mechanical 130GPH pump that does not require a regulator. I ran just the 110GPH pumps with my old setup, worked ok. I do have 5/8 lines coming from the tank, to the fram fuel filter, then to the pump. Then it was 8an to the carb.

10x
01-08-2011, 06:49 PM
Joe, I run a Holley street mechanical pump all the time. I also have a Holley 110 electric pump plumbed in after the mechanical. The electric pump has a regulator plumbed in right after the pump, and it's set @ 8.5lbs. I only flip on the electric pumps right before I put the boat on plane, and shut them off when I come off plane. The mechanical will handle the engine as long as I don't push em over 3000-3500. After that, the pressure drops to around 3-4 lbs, and the engine will start to pop. Not good.
I don't have any good pics of the bulk head where I have everything mounted. I ran a an #8 out of the tanks, to the fuel separator. Then right after that a T. Going down is a an #8 line going to the inlet of the mechanical pump. Going straight out is the electric pump with the regulator mounted on the outlet side of the pump. That line goes to the inlet of the fuel manifold that is mounted to the outlet of the mechanical pump.
The fuel manifold I use has a an #8 on the bottom, and 2 an #6's on top. One line goes to each carb. If you use this setup, you absolutely HAVE TO use a #8 inline check valve, that you need to put between the line from the elec pump, and the manifold. Otherwise the pressure from the mech pump will back wash the fuel right through the line from the electric. In other words, with out the electrics on, you'll have hardly no fuel pressure, cause the fuel will go back through the other pump.
Idleing around, and in the harbors I never use the electric pumps, only when I get ready to take off do I flip them on. The mechanical pumps give me about 6.5 lbs @ idle. This way I don't have all that extra pressure from the electrics on the needle and seats when I'm idleing.
Got any questions about it, just give me a shout.

MILICEVICGM
01-09-2011, 04:48 PM

Frank, could you PM name and number for your carb person.
Thanks, G.

10x
01-09-2011, 10:40 PM
Frank, could you PM name and number for your carb person.
Thanks, G.

George, you got mail. ;)

CSCinc
05-22-2011, 03:53 PM
Thanks Frank, not as great as yours though!

I hear ya on the carb thing. Found out that mounting the single dominator sideways on this blower helps that distribution issue. Mounting it inline, the throttle blades point towards the center bottom of carb, sending fuel from the boosters right in the center. Someone tried the sideways mounting setup and lowered the outer cylinder temps by a couple hundred degrees on the dyno.

I also plan to run water dumps from the rear of the intake water jackets, supposedly helps keep the back cylinders cool and from steam pockets forming. I think the issue with the single carb setup is in order to get the farther cylinders jetted safe, the inner ones end up being way to fat. I had the 177 weiands with a single 4150 carb, everything ran great, but i hear the 250's are a little worse with the distribution. For some reason, the carb sits further forward on the 250 vs the 177. Couldnt figure out why when i first installed the motors in the boat, that the hatch insert that was installed to clear the blowers air cleaner, didnt line up right with the 177. Come to find out the boat had the B&M 250's back in the day.

Either way, plan to get them on a dyno for tuning. Worse case i end up having to run the dual carb setup, which if i do intercoolers i would definitly want the dual carbs.

I like the way your steering cooler is mounted. Good idea. I may have to do that with the plate running between the front and rear plates as a mounting point for the cooler..:)

dont be so cheap and put a big stuff efi on those motors. :smash::smash:

MILD THUNDER
05-23-2011, 09:49 AM
dont be so cheap and put a big stuff efi on those motors. :smash::smash:

EFI is for Pu$$ies. :leaving:

10x
05-23-2011, 12:38 PM
EFI is for Pu$$ies. :leaving:

Or for those that don't have a clue on how to tune anything. LMAO We got the Big Stuff 3 on one of our procharged race cars. When the engine was on the dyno at Wesco's shop, Dave and Mike Moran fine tuned it and now all you have to do is plug in the laptop and change the programs to what you want. Kinda like playing on a computer. LMAO