PDA

View Full Version : Adjusting Drive and Tab Indicators?

hotjava66
04-04-2010, 07:12 PM
This may sound like a dumb question, but I have never done it before. My new to me boat, I noticed the other day when I brought it home that the drive indicators dont jive with actual position. How do you adjust them to match, is it a big deal or simple, i didnt do any digging to look at the actual mechanics, and the boat is away from home for a bit, so cant look now. If it is a major thing I have been wanting to change the actual indicators because they are pretty dated. Also where would you set them for baseline and at what indicated #? Any input appreciated:USA:

Buoy
04-04-2010, 07:17 PM
I'm assuming these are likely just cable actuated, and should be a simple adjustment in cable length (there should be some adjustment in the cable) so that they read zero at zero trim.
I'm not an expert by any means, but I imagine as long as you know where Zero is, whether you adjust it to +4, or -4, it will read different from any other boat.
Just a part of learning your boat.
Trim indicators are cool, but your azz in the seat will tell you where you need to be:)

hotjava66
04-04-2010, 07:28 PM
I'm assuming these are likely just cable actuated, and should be a simple adjustment in cable length (there should be some adjustment in the cable) so that they read zero at zero trim.
I'm not an expert by any means, but I imagine as long as you know where Zero is, whether you adjust it to +4, or -4, it will read different from any other boat.
Just a part of learning your boat.
Trim indicators are cool, but your azz in the seat will tell you where you need to be:)
I know I can work by feel but it is a twin and I doubt I could tell if they were both at the same position, im just not that talented. Also noticed they dont go up and down at the same rate on the buttons, didnt try the throttle mounted switch, so that throws in a bit of a hitch too. They also arent +/- they are just 0-9. I know they are cable controlled, sure they are adjustable, just never done it, maybe obvious if I dig into it.

Airpacker
04-04-2010, 09:06 PM
in order to adjust the cable driven trim indicator, you loosen the clamp at the cable end of the unit on your trim ram and move it in ( to the rear) or outward ( towards the front ) of the ram to set the pointer where you want it to read. Inward will move the pointer down in number, outward willl move it up in number.

hotjava66
04-04-2010, 09:19 PM
in order to adjust the cable driven trim indicator, you loosen the clamp at the cable end of the unit on your trim ram and move it in ( to the rear) or outward ( towards the front ) of the ram to set the pointer where you want it to read. Inward will move the pointer down in number, outward willl move it up in number.

Thanks! thats what I needed to know

Buoy
04-04-2010, 09:27 PM
I know I can work by feel but it is a twin and I doubt I could tell if they were both at the same position, im just not that talented. Also noticed they dont go up and down at the same rate on the buttons, didnt try the throttle mounted switch, so that throws in a bit of a hitch too. They also arent +/- they are just 0-9. I know they are cable controlled, sure they are adjustable, just never done it, maybe obvious if I dig into it.

No, what I meant was on the reading 0-9 might be what it reads, but maybe you set it up as 3 is neutral, then you have a starting point for +/-.
I've seen a lot of guys that have marked their trim indicator with the neutral spot, and then maybe where they have found a "sweet" spot.
But, that "sweet" spot will change with water conditions.

DAREDEVIL
04-04-2010, 10:00 PM
No, what I meant was on the reading 0-9 might be what it reads, but maybe you set it up as 3 is neutral, then you have a starting point for +/-.
I've seen a lot of guys that have marked their trim indicator with the neutral spot, and then maybe where they have found a "sweet" spot.
But, that "sweet" spot will change with water conditions.

YEP,,,usually 3 is neutral ...unless u have one with -3/-2/-1/0/=1/=2 and so on ....:cheers2:

MILD THUNDER
04-08-2010, 07:08 PM
I am pretty sure when i did mine, i lowered the drives as far as they go (negative trim). Then adjusted the cable clamps to where the indicators went down to their most negative position. Whether its -2, -3, 0, etc, is kinda irrevelant setting them up. Once they are set up, then you can find your "nuetral" position, and make note of whatever it may be on your particular indicator panel.

Sometimes though, you have to spend a bit of time playing to get them right, because cable slack can screw you up too. Once they were set, i would measure the distance from the rear trim ram bolt, to the front trim ram bolt on each drive, then check indicator reading at nuetral position.

Plus when out running, i tried to make a practice out of going one direction while trimming. For instance, say you press the trim button out. And one drive goes to 4, and the other to 3. Instead of bringing the one at "4" in again to match the other, I'd raise the one at "3" to "4", then bump them down together till they are both reading "3" again. This was due to a bit of slack in the cables. Sorry if that explaination is confusing.

hotjava66
04-08-2010, 08:51 PM
Another question, can I change the actual indicator panel on the dash and reuse the existing cables? Also have seen/heard somewhere that some brands of panels have springs in them to keep the cables tensioned?

Buoy
04-08-2010, 08:54 PM
Another question, can I change the actual indicator panel on the dash and reuse the existing cables? Also have seen/heard somewhere that some brands of panels have springs in them to keep the cables tensioned?

I would imagine the cables should be fine, would likely just need to re-adjust them.
I know the indicators from Stainless marine have springs in them, not sure of the current other offerings.

sweet addiction
04-08-2010, 10:40 PM
I never put mine on, don't need to see where they are, just feel it.

Buoy
04-08-2010, 10:55 PM

Mine aren't installed either. Not sure if I'm actually going to use them due to limited space on the dash.
Your "azz" will tell you if you have it trimmed right.

MILD THUNDER
04-09-2010, 09:22 AM

MUCH easier to trim a single engine boat by feel than a twin or triple. Problem with twins is you want your drives to be in sync with each other. Plus if you boat on a lake such as Lake Michigan, where the water conditions are always changing, its a good idea to know where your drives and tabs are.

MILD THUNDER
04-09-2010, 09:26 AM

Yep, cables should be able to be reused. My indicators didnt have springs, but i added them myself in order to help with the slack, and i also had a cable that would sometimes stick, and easier to just add the springs, which fixed that.