PDA

View Full Version : Torsion -vs- Leaf Spring

Gordo
04-02-2010, 10:19 PM
Friend looking at new trailers is also looking at the two different trailer suspensions, Leaf spring -vs- Torsion.
What's the experiences, good and bad? What would you prefer?

MILD THUNDER
04-02-2010, 10:32 PM
I like the old leaf springs myself. Noisy, but I think the load is balanced better, even if the hitch height isnt perfect. I liked them on my big old formula trailer, cuz you were able to jack up one side of a axle to change a flat easily with a floor jack. A bonus imo on a 15k lb boat trailer.

I think torsion setups can be more reliable with less parts to go bad though. And much quieter.

Seafordguy
04-03-2010, 08:15 AM
Agreed with above, but can you even buy trailers in that size range with leaf springs these days?

US1Fountain
04-03-2010, 08:54 AM
Had both, torsion under the 27, and now leaf under the 32. Both Eagles.

Torsion is QUIEEEEET and made for a slightly lower sitting ride. Did have to watch when going over the crest of ramps or highways do to the lower sitting trailer that it would hang up at times. Main downside was that the weight is not always evenly distributed between the axles. Each axle is fully independent of each other. Just going over a curb, the lead wheel will absorb alot more of the weight. In fact, when I backed up my driveway, as soon as the lead wheel would go up the curb, the 2nd wheel was off the ground. So the 1 wheel, (bearings, hubs, spindle) was carring all the load on each side as I backed up. Not a very comfortable feeling. Just different tongue heights changes the weight distribution between axles. But it was a sweet trailer and towed very nice.

I ordered my new trailer for the 32 with leak springs just for that reason; the load is always evenly distributed betwen axles regardles of trailer levelness (tounge height) or wheels crawling over curbs and such. But it is noisier when empty.

That said, if I where to order a 3rd trailer, it'd be a leaf spring after having both.

Trim'd Up
04-03-2010, 09:40 AM
I like leaf springs too. I had a 32' boat trailer with torsion and still have a 35' enclosed trailer with torsions, both tri-axle. They do pull nice and quiet but like said above When on uneven ground they will lift entire axles off the ground. On one ramp I used e it would lift both rear axles for couple seconds and the entire 10k would be on the front axle, not good imo.

Chris
04-03-2010, 11:59 AM
I had an Eagle in the mid-90's. Twin axle torsion under a 28' boat. Those axles SQUEAKED if the slightest breexe passed the boat. Drove me nuts.

Knot 4 Me
04-05-2010, 10:23 AM
I've had both and prefer torsion.

old377guy
04-06-2010, 02:33 PM
I had an Eagle in the mid-90's. Twin axle torsion under a 28' boat. Those axles SQUEAKED if the slightest breexe passed the boat. Drove me nuts.

so that's what happened................