PDA

View Full Version : Aluminum -vs-Steel tube

Gordo
04-02-2010, 09:56 PM
I figured this had already been up for debate but couldn't find it.
I have a friend buying a brand new 36 Outlaw. He is looking at new trailers and is looking at the age-old debates of an aluminum I-beam or a channel steel or box-steel trailer.
So, let's hear the Pros-vs-Cons...

Aqua-Holic
04-02-2010, 10:28 PM
Fresh or Salt Water application?

Seafordguy
04-03-2010, 08:13 AM
If it's salt water, it is a no brainer.

When I bought my boat it had a Manning Boxed Steel under it - it was an incredible trailer.

cigdaze
04-03-2010, 08:54 AM
Aluminum only for me; all-water ready, lighter, it's a no-brainer in my opinion. Make sure it's a good quality one, so don't don't experience too much flexing.

Sydwayz
04-03-2010, 09:03 AM
ONLY buy an aluminum trailer. And a C-channel is the best as far as aluminum goes.

If you go steel, you cut your resale market in 1/2, or probably worse; maybe down to 33%. A lot of people don't think a trailer has anything to do with resale, but they are wrong. It has a LOT to do with resale.

If you want your aluminum trailer to look as nice as steel, have it finish painted. Both Myco and Manning offer this.

And go with torsion axles too.

Trim'd Up
04-03-2010, 09:31 AM
The last trailer I bought was aluminum. I have no problem with steel since I am a long way from salt, but I prefer channel to tube. Channel trailers are typically thicker steel than tube trailers and you can see if they do begin to rust. I was just working on a buddies B&M haulrite tube trailer and it was nearly rusted through but you couldn't tell from looking at it. I tapped on with a chipping hammer and it went right through! This trailer is only a 96 and has never seen salt.

Jassman
04-03-2010, 09:33 AM
+1

Chris
04-03-2010, 09:40 AM
If you go steel, you cut your resale market in 1/2, or probably worse; maybe down to 33%. A lot of people don't think a trailer has anything to do with resale, but they are wrong. It has a LOT to do with resale.

In Florida? Sure. Up north? Not really. Aluminum trailers aren't that common up here.

Gordo
04-03-2010, 01:17 PM
Thanks for the response guys. My "South Florida Trailers" was one of the first aluminum trailers around the Ozarks area, and the first one that I know of on Lake Perry. Lots of comments on how nice it looked, and the few <other than me> that pulled it- loved it.
I'm sure my buddy is taking all of your post into consideration.

Chris
04-03-2010, 02:37 PM
Does anyone remember the aluminum tongue on Gino's trailer last year. It's only a couple years old- snapped right off. I like aluminum trailers, but I wouldn't want one that didn't have a steel tongue tube.

Sydwayz
04-03-2010, 11:10 PM
Gino's trailer also had surge brakes which puts a lot of stress on that whole area.

I know steel is the 'thing' in the Midwest & Great Lakes. But now that we sell our boats nationwide (and beyond) due to the Internet, it's best to go with an aluminum trailer so anyone can by the boat, and not have to worry about a new trailer. I know it sounds petty, but often the secondary market buyer is at the top of his budget, and just can't shell out $8,10,15+ for a new trailer.

Basically, having an aluminum trailer means no one can say: "I'd by your boat, but, I am a saltwater boater and don't want that hassle".

Add to that, the fact that many of us are becoming "event boaters" to travel to a Poker Runs across the country; a saltwater dip could be right around the corner.

Gordo
04-08-2010, 03:06 PM
Thanks to everyone for the input.
You knew the next question was coming...
Brands?

As I said, I've loved my SFT (South Florida Trailers) under my Active Thunder, but I don't think they are in business anymore.
So, any particular brand stand out on Top?
Any brand to stay away from?

Chris
04-08-2010, 03:21 PM
MYCO and Manning are two well-respected names. You'll pay for them, but they'll perform and they'll hold their value.

Bradz
04-08-2010, 03:33 PM
Myco and Manning are great trailers. I have owned two South Florida aluminum trailers that were junk. Poor welds and under built flexible flyers. I prefer Myco's best of all. I agree the aluminum will be an easier resale for an offshore style boat that may end up to a salt water buyer.

DAREDEVIL
04-08-2010, 05:50 PM
My MYCO steel trailer is year 1992, dunked in salt and fresh water many times.
Still works fine, replacing the axles NOW and getting new fenders....only reason for the axles, is i want torsion axles !!!!!!

fenders,,,mhhh...little rust:eek:

BDiggity
04-09-2010, 04:24 PM
If it's salt water, it is a no brainer.

When I bought my boat it had a Manning Boxed Steel under it - it was an incredible trailer.

It is now completely reboxed in steel & has electric brakes on it.

Seafordguy
04-10-2010, 07:11 AM
It is now completely reboxed in steel & has electric brakes on it.

Cool. Glad it is working out for you.

I wish that Manning would have called me back when I was buying my Aluminum one but I think it would have been too expensive anyways. Oh well....

Indy
04-11-2010, 09:03 AM
ONLY buy an aluminum trailer. And a C-channel is the best as far as aluminum goes.

If you want your aluminum trailer to look as nice as steel, have it finish painted. Both Myco and Manning offer this.

And go with torsion axles too.

This post says it all...I can't speak for C-channel because I never owned one but my I-beam aluminum trailer for my 33' PowerPlay was great. I won't buy a boat that doesn't have an aluminum trailer with it.

DAREDEVIL
04-12-2010, 10:24 PM
Myco , only uses C-chanel either steel or aluminum !!!!!