PDA

View Full Version : Alpha 1 , Gen 1 Help

PARADOX
04-02-2010, 11:21 AM
OK.. I don't want to get into this project but I have to.
Lower unit intake water hose is cracked due to old age. Got to change it, and any help with some trick of the trade would help. Clamps are hard to get too, and I also need to change the bellows.
Thx
P

txriverrat2001
04-02-2010, 11:45 AM
1/4 drive 5/16 wiggler - looonnngggg extension - and go ahead and pull the bellhousing - may have to heat it up to remove the swivel pins ... but in the long run it's easier - I've done it both ways - by the time you mudda futt it - you could of pulled the bell housing.

phragle
04-02-2010, 12:31 PM
Damn..I forget which but look at it and you should figure it out, pull the helmet, put the driveshaft bellow on one side and the exhaust on the other, it makes getting to the clamps easier. For the hose, get the REAL merc hose. the ebay ones arent worth a damn, not stiff enough and crimp on you. While your in their on an Alpha 1 do the shift cable.. good preventitive maint as they start getting sticky causing stalling when you shift docking. Instead of trying to tighten them with a screw driver, use a 1/4 socket with a universal and long extenson and a cordless.

Thinkng about the order, I think it was easer to mount the exhaust on the gimble and the shaft on the helmet then put it together. Use some long siptes to hold the helmet up somewhat in postion but loose enough that you can wobble it around.

Same goes for the ebay bellows. I had one that only lasted one season before it came apart bad. cought the boat going down at the dock, water was just under the dipstick.

phragle
04-02-2010, 12:35 PM
P.S. Do not do the job around small children as you will probably cuss a bt......

PARADOX
04-02-2010, 01:13 PM
P.S. Do not do the job around small children as you will probably cuss a bt......

No kidds around here, only my dog. I did the bellows on Alpha 1 Gen 2 years ago and it was a bytch. Besides, when I get REALLY p$$ed, I swear in Hungarian. I already used up 75% of the vocabulary since my knuckles are bleeding.
Thanks, but I really don't know how to remove the bell housing. Never did it before.

phragle
04-02-2010, 01:18 PM
remove the two hockey pucks (trim senders) on the sides of the gimble ring. Then remove the pivot bolts. (with the drive off)

PARADOX
04-02-2010, 02:22 PM
OK the intake tube is off. I need Jeannie or Samantha from beweetched to get it back on.
A midget with 1" diameter strong hands and 11" fingers might work.

phragle
04-02-2010, 03:26 PM
\. Besides, when I get REALLY p$$ed, I swear in Hungarian. I already used up 75% of the vocabulary since my knuckles are bleeding.
Thanks, but I really don't know how to remove the bell housing. Never did it before.

I have a friend thats hungarian... major accent... he plays it up and we give him a good ribbing about it.. heheh He bought beer for the winner of the best Laszlo immitation one night...

PARADOX
04-02-2010, 05:47 PM
Hose is half way on. My middle name is Laszlo. I need a drink and some band aids.
99% of my Hungarian cossing vocabulary is used up.