PDA

View Full Version : Removing Sign Paint - HELP

chrisk
03-31-2010, 08:59 AM
I just bought a boat and the previous owner had the registration numbers painted on... The hull sides are paint as well. I beleive the registration numbers are in sign paint, they do scrape off with my finger nail but its tough. Any suggestions how to remove the sign paint without harming the fiberglass and paint under it?

jayboat
03-31-2010, 09:13 AM
Easy-off oven cleaner. Spray it on and let it sit for 15 minutes. A plastic pot scrubber (plastic steel-wool-like thingy) can help break it down. If it's on there thick, repeat. Wipe off the goo with a paper towel before rinsing. Sometimes the cleaner will yellow the gel a little, if that happens wipe with bleach. Watch for any runs- don't let it get to any vinyl stripes, etc. Try not to get that chit on your skin.

chrisk
03-31-2010, 09:16 AM
will the easy off hurt the paint under under it?

cigdaze
03-31-2010, 09:16 AM
Easy-off oven cleaner. Spray it on and let it sit for 15 minutes. A plastic pot scrubber (plastic steel-wool-like thingy) can help break it down. If it's on there thick, repeat. Wipe off the goo with a paper towel before rinsing. Sometimes the cleaner will yellow the gel a little, if that happens wipe with bleach. Watch for any runs- don't let it get to any vinyl stripes, etc. Try not to get that chit on your skin.

But if the numbers are painted on top of the original painted graphics, will it effect those as well?

Ted
03-31-2010, 09:19 AM
will the easy off hurt the paint under under it?

Yes, that would be the problem. If it is gel under there, Easy Off is fine. But if it is paint over paint the Easy Off will damage the underlying paint.

DAREDEVIL
03-31-2010, 09:23 AM
If u can scrape them off with your finger nail,,then they are on top of the clear coat .....so just use a scrubbing pad and some fine sand paper after they are off...like 1500 grid and buff the clear back out !!!!!!!..
I would also try acetone ,,,since it will not hurt the clear !

By the way,,oven cleaner is not for boats cars or things like that,,,it says already oven on it !!!!!!!! LOLOLOL

Unprofessional...ttttt

jayboat
03-31-2010, 12:11 PM
If u can scrape them off with your finger nail,,then they are on top of the clear coat .....so just use a scrubbing pad and some fine sand paper after they are off...like 1500 grid and buff the clear back out !!!!!!!..
I would also try acetone ,,,since it will not hurt the clear !

By the way,,oven cleaner is not for boats cars or things like that,,,it says already oven on it !!!!!!!! LOLOLOL

Unprofessional...ttttt

I've used it on dozens of boats, know-it-all.

DAREDEVIL
03-31-2010, 12:14 PM
I've used it on dozens of boats, know-it-all.

I know,,that is what makes u a good fotographer ,,,not a mechanic..lololol:cheers2::sifone:

Chris
03-31-2010, 12:17 PM
Since when is innovation unprofessional?

And where do you think all those products sitting on the shelf came from? Someone tried something different.

jayboat
03-31-2010, 12:19 PM
I know,,that is what makes u a good fotographer ,,,not a mechanic..lololol:cheers2::sifone:

You're a real comedian.

I've lettered over a thousand boats in my life - I didn't realize you had to be a mechanic to do it.

For someone with your reputation, you've got a helluva lot of nerve making that comment.

glassdave
03-31-2010, 12:39 PM
i agree with Jay, I've had good results with E-Z-Off as well. Also works on bottom paint. You do have to take care with trying to remove sign paint with it. Do a test area and keep an eye on it. Works best with paint that is only over gelcoat.

Davidmnc
03-31-2010, 01:11 PM
You're a real comedian.

I've lettered over a thousand boats in my life - I didn't realize you had to be a mechanic to do it.

For someone with your reputation, you've got a helluva lot of nerve making that comment.

:lurk5::lurk5:

Ding Ding *Lets get ready to RUMMMBBBLLLLLEEEEE* :sifone:

chrisk
03-31-2010, 01:16 PM
will the easy off hurt the clear coat?

glassdave
03-31-2010, 01:38 PM
depends what kind of clear it is, do a test patch somewhere you cant see like low on the transom. I did a 42 Tiger that had this god awful attempt at graphics over 75% of the original paint job. Luckily it was a quality job from Dave Hunter and i was able to save a large part of it with a similar product called Lift-off. You do have to keep an eye on it while its working and do small areas at a time, it will soften the clear if left on to long.

DAREDEVIL
03-31-2010, 02:36 PM
You're a real comedian.

LOL...ok , mechanic was wrong..but i thought he is talking about taking PAINT off of painted erea....mmmmmhhhh maybe i am wrong.

WHATEVER, mess it up bro !!!!!!!

Never seen anybody use OVEN CLEANER on a car, did u ???!!!!

And my reputation..lol,,,,,did i ever care ???
The people that had things done from me are happy.
Or do u say NOT ????!!!!!:confused:

I guess u woke up on the wrong foot this morning,,,come down JAY !!!:sifone:

THE SUN IS OUT SO LETS BE NICE !!!!!:cheers2:

Trim'd Up
03-31-2010, 03:18 PM
I used easy-off to remove the name from the transom of a previous boat and it worked well. I also use sno-bowl toilet bowl cleaner to remove stains from gelcoat. Neither are for the intended purpose but they work. I'm not a mechanic though, so wtf would I know. :rolleyes:

DAREDEVIL
03-31-2010, 03:32 PM
I used easy-off to remove the name from the transom of a previous boat and it worked well. I also use sno-bowl toilet bowl cleaner to remove stains from gelcoat. Neither are for the intended purpose but they work. I'm not a mechanic though, so wtf would I know. :rolleyes:

HEY,,,,,,,,I AM TALKING ABOUT USING THIS STUFF ON PAINT, NOT GELCOAT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IT WILL EAT UP MOST PAINTS !!!!!!!!!:eek:

But ,i just relized i am not a mechanic either ..so i would not know anything as well !!!!!!

LOLOLOL

chrisk
03-31-2010, 03:48 PM
Here is a pic the blue is paint / cleared. I have been scrapping with my finger nail for about 20 minutes and that is all i got off - lol.
I was hoping there was an easier way

DAREDEVIL
03-31-2010, 03:59 PM
Here is a pic the blue is paint / cleared. I have been scrapping with my finger nail for about 20 minutes and that is all i got off - lol.
I was hoping there was an easier way

1500 grid sand paper on a DA, then buff clear back to shine !!!!!!!!

rchevelle71
03-31-2010, 04:14 PM
1500 grid sand paper on a DA, then buff clear back to shine !!!!!!!!

That would work, but first I would try a mild solvent like mineral spirits, if that doesnt work, move up to the next harshest, but like others have said, try it on a less conspicuous area first. Acetone will most likely take it off, and not hurt the clear, especially if it is a urethane clear, has cured, and you dont rub too hard. then just buff it if needed.

DAREDEVIL
03-31-2010, 04:19 PM
That would work, but first I would try a mild solvent like mineral spirits, if that doesnt work, move up to the next harshest, but like others have said, try it on a less conspicuous area first. Acetone will most likely take it off, and not hurt the clear, especially if it is a urethane clear, has cured, and you dont rub too hard. then just buff it if needed.

THANK U ,,at least your kind of with me !!!!! LOL :cheers2:

jayboat
03-31-2010, 05:36 PM
Mineral spirits won't do it. One Shot is pretty stout enamel. I have used acetone and lacquer thinner to break it down, but I hate using hot solvents unless absolutely necessary. That may be the way to go.

jeffswav
03-31-2010, 09:16 PM
If you are very carfull you may be able to scrape it off with one of those tool with the long razor blade. I have a couple of them and they work pretty well as long as you do not scratch the surface.

fixxxer22
03-31-2010, 10:00 PM
If you are very carfull you may be able to scrape it off with one of those tool with the long razor blade. I have a couple of them and they work pretty well as long as you do not scratch the surface.

:iagree:Also, i have used those plastic razor blades. We have a detail department at our dealer and they have them. they work pretty well. not quite like a metal razor but you can be a little more agressive with the scraping.

I am a mechanic... I prefer technician though :cheers2::sifone:

glassdave
03-31-2010, 10:12 PM

a trick to helping that method be a bit safer on the paint is to round the edges (corners) of the blade with a piece of 400 grit sandpaper. Dulling the blade itself also help it from wanting to dig so quickly.

rchevelle71
04-01-2010, 07:55 AM
THANK U ,,at least your kind of with me !!!!! LOL :cheers2:

Ahhh,

No use arguing, just trying to get this guy some help:sifone:

rchevelle71
04-01-2010, 07:59 AM
Mineral spirits won't do it. One Shot is pretty stout enamel. I have used acetone and lacquer thinner to break it down, but I hate using hot solvents unless absolutely necessary. That may be the way to go.

Jay,

that is funny, I didnt realize the professionals use one shot, that is what the dark purple, and the pantera eyes on my boat are painted with, the light purple is One shot mixed with White perfection, all cleared with a knock off Concept Clear. If I remember right, I used Mineral spirits to thin the one shot for spraying, But I have done a lot of painting and drinking since then, so my memory is kinda fuzzy:sifone: Does this picture look familiar??:cheers2:

Rick

jayboat
04-01-2010, 08:25 AM
Jay,

that is funny, I didnt realize the professionals use one shot, that is what the dark purple, and the pantera eyes on my boat are painted with, the light purple is One shot mixed with White perfection, all cleared with a knock off Concept Clear. If I remember right, I used Mineral spirits to thin the one shot for spraying, But I have done a lot of painting and drinking since then, so my memory is kinda fuzzy:sifone: Does this picture look familiar??:cheers2:

Rick

Your memory is correct. You need to drink more. :cheers2: That chit is some of the toughest enamel known to mankind. I've been using it for forty years and never had an issue... unless I'm tryin' to remove it.

Nice photo. Boat needs some numbers. :)

chrisk
04-01-2010, 08:34 AM
ok - i used a plastic razor on the letterin that was on the hull sides which was clear coated - worked PERFECT - no scratching! thank you

BUT the deck has not been cleared its just gel. The plastic razor doesnt work so well and what i could get off it appears the colors are deep into the gel coat, or the white is stained very badly. I am going to continue to scrape off what i can. Any suggestions for removing the stain?

rchevelle71
04-01-2010, 08:43 AM
ok - i used a plastic razor on the letterin that was on the hull sides which was clear coated - worked PERFECT - no scratching! thank you

BUT the deck has not been cleared its just gel. The plastic razor doesnt work so well and what i could get off it appears the colors are deep into the gel coat, or the white is stained very badly. I am going to continue to scrape off what i can. Any suggestions for removing the stain?

If it is gel, you can definitely use acetone, or even 1000 grit sandpaper, then buff it out.

rchevelle71
04-01-2010, 08:48 AM
Your memory is correct. You need to drink more. :cheers2: That chit is some of the toughest enamel known to mankind. I've been using it for forty years and never had an issue... unless I'm tryin' to remove it.

Nice photo. Boat needs some numbers. :)

40 years:eek: what were you using it in yer colorin' books?? Come on, you may have me by a few years, but not that many:sifone: According to jen, I drink plenty, but I think you may be a little smarter than her, so I'll take your advice:cheers2: As far as the #'s, I have never been totally happy with the purple and I may be repainting the boat soon, the purple was fun, but its time to grow up, and go with something a little classier. I am thinking of the same scheme, but replace the Purple with Silver, probably leave the #'s off(including the white boxes this time), and do some simple vinyl graphics, just the pantera logo, and maybe put the old Bad Company name back on it. Wont know for sure until the transom is done, and the deck back on, extending the cockpit too, for a real backseat this time.

jayboat
04-01-2010, 09:00 AM
40 years:eek: what were you using it in yer colorin' books?? Come on, you may have me by a few years, but not that many:sifone:

It's actually 42, if you wanna get technical. :eek:

My first real job was with a sign shop in the summer of '68.
I was makin' big bucks... $1.10/hr. :)

Chris, you may have a problem with that ghost. The pigments in One Shot have a tendency to seep into the gel. Wet sanding, as Rick mentioned, is the only answer.

chrisk
04-01-2010, 09:17 AM
OK - we will try wet sanding next, good to know thank you. Heck its not even ghosted it looks BRIGHT YELLOW yet!!

rchevelle71
04-01-2010, 09:47 AM
It's actually 42, if you wanna get technical. :eek:

My first real job was with a sign shop in the summer of '68.
I was makin' big bucks... $1.10/hr. :)

Chris, you may have a problem with that ghost. The pigments in One Shot have a tendency to seep into the gel. Wet sanding, as Rick mentioned, is the only answer.

OK, you have aged well then............OLD MAN:leaving:

Just kidding, but I wasnt even born until 1970:eek:

We will be in your 'hood this saturday, but just stopping by for a few hours on our way to Tampa. See ya at a race some time this summer:cheers2:

chrisk
04-05-2010, 09:33 AM
Juset wanted to say thanks for all the replies.
We scraped the old enamel off with a plastic scraper then used thinner to take the color out. My brother-in-law is a painter and works ata body shop, he came over and wet sanded and buffed the area but the problem was it looked too good! SO - he wet sanded the entire boat with 1500 grit then buffed out and i must say the boat looks AMAZING!! I cant believe what a little sand paper, a buffer, a case of beer and about 18 man hours can do boat!

DAREDEVIL
04-05-2010, 11:40 AM
Juset wanted to say thanks for all the replies.
We scraped the old enamel off with a plastic scraper then used thinner to take the color out. My brother-in-law is a painter and works ata body shop, he came over and wet sanded and buffed the area but the problem was it looked too good! SO - he wet sanded the entire boat with 1500 grit then buffed out and i must say the boat looks AMAZING!! I cant believe what a little sand paper, a buffer, a case of beer and about 18 man hours can do boat!

PICS !!!!!!!!!!! :cheers2:

Offshore Ginger
04-05-2010, 03:30 PM
I know this is a little late but did anybody consider using Goof off .

chrisk
04-12-2010, 01:36 PM
i really dont have a good pic - but here is a cell phone pic taken inside my garage - thanks for all the replies

offthefront
05-18-2010, 09:52 AM
Wonder if the EZ off would soften Imron?