PDA

View Full Version : Guns.....................

t500hps
03-29-2010, 08:57 AM
I want something.........don't know what?

I've had a 12 gauge and .22 bolt action since I was a kid.......In the last 18 months I've bought a 9mm and a 30.06. Now my wife has expressed interest in a pistol. For her I prefer a 9mm that is small and has an external safety or maybe a 38 revolver. Any suggestions? Any for sale?

My kids went target shooting with me yesterday and had a blast shooting a .410 my father has and the .22 rifle....My .22 is CRAP and broke!!!! We ended up using my grandfathers semi-auto .22 and that was much better. I'd like to find a decent little semi-auto .22 (or slightly larger caliber) for them to continue to learn with..........so again, an suggestions or any for sale? The youngest is 8 and did great, blasting gallon water jugs with the .410 at 20-25 yrds nearly every shot.....but the stock of the .22 is longer than his arm.

As a side note: When did gun purchases get registered with the FEDS? Meaning, they know about my pistol and rifle, but probably no records of my 12 gauge. If they start confiscating them like in Europe I'd rather own stuff they don't know about!!!!

Tony
03-29-2010, 09:04 AM
The NICS form (National Instant Check System) is just an instant background check. It is retained by the ATF for 7 years.

Woody
03-29-2010, 10:37 AM
Get Faith a nice 380 to keep you in line.:sifone:

Chris
03-29-2010, 10:53 AM
Buy yourself an HK P7. You can find the Bund buybacks relatively inexpensively compared to the sporting imports. They're atonishing shooters. They're also about the safest shooters out there. I don't recall ever handing one to someone that didn't know how it worked and them figuring it out easily. The squeeze cocking is a unique and effective safety.

phragle
03-29-2010, 12:11 PM
f the replacement .22, the ruger 10-22 has been alive and thriving for years. lots of stuff available for it too.

ROGUE
03-29-2010, 12:36 PM
f the replacement .22, the ruger 10-22 has been alive and thriving for years. lots of stuff available for it too.

2nd that.

Sea-Dated
03-29-2010, 02:06 PM
I bought the wife a Walther P22 last year and she loves it. I have also got my 13yo nephew shooting it and it is a great little plinker.

Sydwayz
03-29-2010, 02:11 PM
Take her to one of the gun shows. She has to find something that is comfortable in her hand and purse, before worrying about caliber.
There are usually 2 a month between Hampton and F'burg. I love GreenTop, but you have to have an agenda before you go in there. Bass Pro is helpful, but not that much of a handgun selection. Gander Mountain has a few, and don't forget about DeGoff's in old towne Mechanicsville.

I'll probably get one of these for MS one day:
http://www.sigsauer.com/Products/ShowCatalogProductDetails.aspx?categoryid=67&productid=265

Sydwayz
03-29-2010, 02:32 PM
Also, check out www.concealed-carry.net

This course will make here legal, but you will need to handle training in a different fashion.

hotjava66
03-29-2010, 06:02 PM
my wife has a Sig P232, she really likes it. the HK is a good gun as well. x2 on the 10/22, was my first .22 and went through tens of thousands of rounds. I still have it somewhere. A nice bolt gun would be good as well

DollaBill
03-29-2010, 06:16 PM
I want a Desert Eagle. Thats a bad mofo

Chris
03-29-2010, 06:56 PM

Useless pimp gun.

mikes280
03-29-2010, 07:33 PM
Useless pimp gun.fits his avatar:seeya:

macjazzy
03-29-2010, 07:38 PM
Buy yourself an HK P7. You can find the Bund buybacks relatively inexpensively compared to the sporting imports. They're astonishing shooters. They're also about the safest shooters out there. I don't recall ever handing one to someone that didn't know how it worked and them figuring it out easily. The squeeze cocking is a unique and effective safety.

I have a HK UPS 40 that I love, that gun shoots amazingly. Every time I go shooting with people they are im pressed with how well I shoot, although I know its mostly the gun.

The downside is its a bit big to carry. I have always wanted a HKP7m10 but the cost has always scared me away. What is the "Bund Buybacks" ? I am not familiar with that term.

ILMORdude
03-29-2010, 07:56 PM

Shot one at my local range a few yrs back. Some younger business dude/pimp was blasting away and noticed me watching. He let me give it a whirl. Its an experience but damn near useless. Kept a couple shells for conversation!

Wrinkleface
03-29-2010, 08:34 PM
Useless pimp gun.

:biggrinjester:

phragle
03-29-2010, 08:44 PM
This is all you need, from Bambi blastin to basic home defense.

http://www.eliteukforces.info/images/sas/law-66.jpg

ImaPoser
03-29-2010, 09:25 PM
Now my wife has expressed interest in a pistol.

Take her to the biggest gun store in town, or a gun show. Let her handle, feel and pick out what she wants. I bought my wife a sig last year, she shot it once and never wanted to shoot it again, or ever carry it. I sold it, took her to the store and let her pick. She bought a ruger lcp .380 and a STI rogue 9mm.
Now she wants to go shooting at least once a week.
Who am I to argue? :sifone:

Tony
03-29-2010, 11:00 PM
Start your wife out on a zero reccoil pistol. Something like a S&W22A, the long barreled version is the next best thing to Nintendo Duck Hunt. Once she masters that buy her/you an HK P7, you can argue over who gets to keep it later;).

There are plenty of MFG's that build rimfire rifles, dont limit yourself to semi auto when teaching a child, its better that they understand some of the mechanicals of the firearm when first learning how to shoot. The 10/22 is a great little gun but I have a moral dilema with spending money on anything that has Ruger stamped into it.

t500hps
03-29-2010, 11:17 PM
Start your wife out on a zero reccoil pistol. Something like a S&W22A, the long barreled version is the next best thing to Nintendo Duck Hunt. Once she masters that buy her/you an HK P7, you can argue over who gets to keep it later;).

There are plenty of MFG's that build rimfire rifles, dont limit yourself to semi auto when teaching a child, its better that they understand some of the mechanicals of the firearm when first learning how to shoot. The 10/22 is a great little gun but I have a moral dilema with spending money on anything that has Ruger stamped into it.

She grew up in an extended family where no-one had guns. She can handle the Glock but is nervous with it. I figured if I got something that "looked" smaller she would likely be less intimidated. I was actually going to get the .40 instead of the 9mm but she expressed interest in shooting it some (so I went smaller caliber). Part of the logic is to simply have a second gun handy.

I went and saw a 10/22 tonight.....looks pretty cheap (and is for $269 w/ a scope it is) but not sure I like it.....my kids kept picking out stuff that looked exotic regardless of what is was. So what's the issue with Ruger? Don't tell me it's French....cause I'm not buying either then!!!!

Chris
03-30-2010, 12:14 AM
Buy a Colt 1911 with a 22 conversion kit. It's a great way to learn how to handle a large pistol.

Tony
03-30-2010, 08:52 AM
Bill Ruger authored the legislation for the 1994 assault weapons ban. Ruger has changed ownership since Bill died. They are still mass producing and selling guns that he designed years ago. I refuse to support any business that doesnt support the seccond amendment in its entirety, ESPECIALLY a gun builder.

Chris
03-30-2010, 09:21 AM
My buddies keep telling me Bill has been long-dead and they're making some great guns, but I just can't bring myself to own one.

Bill's little sidestep was an all-time $hitty move. He did it to selfishly protect his own business and sell the entire industry and every arms-owning American down the river. Ruger was an American icon- the man and the company. And it was the crack they needed to show centrists that there were ways to "compromise". It gave politicians a way out. They could sell it as "If it's OK with Ruger, it must be OK".

This is why we can't even discuss any sort of compromises on arms laws. There are certainly a few ways to make the general public safer. And there are plenty of irresponsible and unqualified firearms owners out there. But there's no such thing as compromise. There are two positions. The right to keep and bear arms and the position that all civilian owned firearms should be banned. One movement towards them is ground gained. And they won't stop until they've won.

Unfortunate, but that's the way it is.

Von Bongo
03-30-2010, 09:54 PM
For your wife I would look at something in the .380 to 9mm range. You have to handle them to see which one fits her best.

You also need to pick up an AR-15. Cheap to shoot and very very versatile platform. Check out www.ar15.com before you buy, its the SOS of the black rifle crowd. You can add a .22 ciner conversion and plink away with it even cheaper or get a dedicated .22 upper.

Gun shows are a good place to look at guns, they are rarely the best place to buy unless you are patient and deal.