PDA

View Full Version : Remember when the racers voted to follow JC instead?

T2x
03-16-2010, 08:07 AM
Boy did the OPT guys blow it when they didn't take Eike's offer to bring Offshore racing up to a professional multi national SPONSORED sport.

http://www.forbes.com/lists/2010/10/...ista_R3VO.html

Eike had an $8 million dollar offer on the table for annual sponsorship and the "big shots" said no.....citing some nonsense about giving up their "independence".

As the song says:

"How do you like me now?"

You can't make this stuff up......

T2x

MarylandMark
03-16-2010, 08:56 AM
http://www.forbes.com/lists/2010/10/billionaires-2010_Eike-Batista_R3VO.html

stainless
03-16-2010, 12:54 PM
Spirit of the Amazon!

Ratickle
03-16-2010, 01:03 PM
Maybe we should ask about a similar offer now......:sifone:....:leaving:

robertjr
03-16-2010, 01:08 PM
What a shame, Batista did have a way of making things happen! didn't he? Something about HARD edges? ............................RJR.............................

T2x
03-16-2010, 01:52 PM
What struck me most about Eike was his consistent approach. When he started he simply asked "What do I need to win?". He never did any showing off and exuded the kind of quiet confidence that only a truly powerful man displays. He didn't try to change the rules or invent a new class...He simply assessed what the top class meant and instructed Bobby Moore to make him the right gun for the gunfight. When he applied the same approach to moving the entire sport forward, he leveraged his influence and quickly came up with a multi-national sponsor.....and a sound, cash based business plan. When the racers essentially threw the offer back in his face, he was surprised, turned off, but also enlightened, I'm sure. He soon quit the sport and dabbled in Thunderboat Row real estate for a while as I recall.

The rest is history......

T2x
03-16-2010, 01:52 PM
Maybe we should ask about a similar offer now......:sifone:....:leaving:

Fool him once shame on you....

Fool him twice....I doubt it.

T2x

Ron P
03-16-2010, 04:46 PM
How long was he in the sport? 3 years? Did he have any other boat besides the 50' cat?

T2x
03-16-2010, 04:54 PM
How long was he in the sport? 3 years? Did he have any other boat besides the 50' cat?

I don't think he was in the sport even that long, maybe 2 years...... But if this is somehow aimed at calling him a flash in the pan.... Not! I have no doubt that he would have seen the project through if he had only been given the cooperation it needed.

T2x

Ron P
03-16-2010, 05:13 PM
No flash in the pan calling from me. I remember him as a sort of quite guy, not high maintainance. I never knew of his offer to take the sport forward. He clearly had the means to do it.

I'm sure he would have been in it for the long haul if the racers had agreed to his offer. He probably just got disgusted and went back to Brazil.

NNRT
03-16-2010, 05:54 PM
If the racers thought they would lose their "independence" - they would not - the events would be scheduled - and if the sport were to go a way that the racers did not like, they could vote with their feet - just not attend - I never saw the reasoning that the racers had - just so stupid, they wanted to professionalize the sport - the money was there - and they still said NO - Can you imagine what would have happened and where it would be today had they approved the deal - they always had an out too - just dont attend an event -

In Europe the UIM had it right however- racers were required to attend every race - post a bond (think it was 50,000 bucks) - to guarantee they would attend - even if just going over the start line and back on the trailer - they also agreed in those days - to put up 50,000 bucks (non refundable) - for TV - and it was filmed - and well distributed too - specially in Italy. I for one - worked for IOTA in 1993 - shot my video in their format (PAL) - gave them the tape - after the event - and came home. They had at least 6 other cameras as well - interviews - and shore based cameras as well as at least one other Helicopter shooting tape. In those days- I did not have to worry about how to pay the cost of the event- I could do what I did best - to be creative- follow the leaders and others - Oh, and one thing - I found over in the European events - instead of boats being strung out like a string of pearls - over there - you would find Groups of 3 - 8 boats running close together - a film makers delight - Also the spirt and fun before the events and after were like a traveling carnival - everyone knew everyone - every one helped others - they all had a wonderful time -

Where is Walter Ragazzi today - I dont know - but I have to thank him for his trust and belief in our work -

Where are you IKE - ? like the BUSH billboard - Do we miss him yet - ! answer YUP !

Phil

imco offshore
03-16-2010, 07:55 PM
- 8 boats running close together - a film makers delight - Also the spirt and fun before the events and after were like a traveling carnival - everyone knew everyone - every one helped others - they all had a wonderful time -

sounds like the SUPER V LITES of today ,,I think this years schedule will showcase our class and all the talent it harbors .,,,.Super V Lite this year will make a big statment in our current offshore world..

T2x
03-17-2010, 08:10 AM
- 8 boats running close together - a film makers delight - Also the spirt and fun before the events and after were like a traveling carnival - everyone knew everyone - every one helped others - they all had a wonderful time -

sounds like the SUPER V LITES of today ,,I think this years schedule will showcase our class and all the talent it harbors .,,,.Super V Lite this year will make a big statment in our current offshore world..

About a dozen years ago when Gene Whipp, Mike Allweiss, George Linder and a bunnch of others were strategizing the sport, I remember saying that if the sport could be boiled down to twin spec engine cats and single spec engine v bottoms as the premier classes, and split the coverage 40 minutes/20 minutes on a one hour TV program.... it would be marketable. My thinking was that anybody who could afford a twin engine anything could race in the dual motor class, and any lower budget guys could afford to race in the other. All it took was for the group of racers to actually want to race.....and not simply parade around and show off some oddball "special" piece of equipment with a guaranteed trophy. I salute the SVL's if they can actually re-create a true boat race.

T2x

imco offshore
03-17-2010, 08:47 AM
Thanks for the nod,,2010 is the year of NEW ,the SVL,S have some of the sports most dedicated owners and teams, this will in turn , produce some of the closest racing in offshore this year.. Were looking for the "wow" factor this year,, like we had in the early 2000,s Hope to see you at a race this year ,,

Dunbar 104
03-17-2010, 12:29 PM
My thinking was that anybody who could afford a twin engine anything could race in the dual motor class, and any lower budget guys could afford to race in the other. All it took was for the group of racers to actually want to race.....and not simply parade around and show off some oddball "special" piece of equipment with a guaranteed trophy. I salute the SVL's if they can actually re-create a true boat race.

T2x[/QUOTE]

:iagree: A race boat is just a TOOL to go racing.

RACESDAD
03-17-2010, 11:29 PM
Svl and catlite are the 2 best classes out there. Get rid of the ego's, go race similar equipment , ie, single gear ratio's. And these 2 classes would be the best of the best.
Keep it inexpensive as possible, and it will grow. Too many classes.how about all cats running 700efis. 35 to 40 foot cats.
? Get rid of 850 and 525 classes and combine for 1 big cat class. We should have learned our lessons by now.
Btw, i think we also need to keep cat outboard or super stock. Need outboards too. Open it up to yamaha, and evinrude/johnson and honda

Ryan Beckley
03-17-2010, 11:36 PM
EVERY outboard is legal to 300HP in the OSS rule book.... if run STOCK

stainless
03-18-2010, 06:32 AM
Svl and catlite are the 2 best classes out there. Get rid of the ego's, go race similar equipment , ie, single gear ratio's. And these 2 classes would be the best of the best.
Keep it inexpensive as possible, and it will grow. Too many classes.how about all cats running 700efis. 35 to 40 foot cats.
? Get rid of 850 and 525 classes and combine for 1 big cat class. We should have learned our lessons by now.
Btw, i think we also need to keep cat outboard or super stock. Need outboards too. Open it up to yamaha, and evinrude/johnson and honda

Sounds good!:cheers2:

T2x
03-18-2010, 08:10 AM

I never suggested getting rid of the other classes....rather you shouldn't televise them. That way the programming is limited enough that the fans can understand the sport and there is a legitimate media/TV reason for a sponsor to put up true promotional money. Even if the CBS deal came through......no typical viewer would have been able to figure out the racing action, and therefore the ratings would have been poor after a few minutes. This dilutes the value of TV to a sponsor...regardless of the network. You must simplify the competition model....and develop personalities and multiple rivalries. There is none of that in Offshore racing today.

DAREDEVIL
03-18-2010, 08:37 AM
back when ............

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsC2uLoHN9s

:cheers2:

DAREDEVIL
03-18-2010, 08:39 AM
and more.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVMCCNGnKlM&feature=related