PDA

View Full Version : Summer mooring advice

mustang
03-12-2010, 01:13 PM
The weather's got me thinking about summer and trying to figure out where to keep the Formula. My truck isn't capable of towing the boat so that's out. I've been on the waiting list for Chicago harbors for a few years but not sure that the answer either. I was curious what everyone else does. Are you guys all trailering or what have you found as the best option? I met the owner of Sunset Bay and he seemed like a good guy and thinking I might rack store there but wanted to see what my options are.

Magic Medicine
03-12-2010, 01:22 PM
Alot of guys have lift in Hammond

B.Z.
03-12-2010, 01:52 PM
How big of a Formula???? where are you at north-south ect. there are lots of nice places just need more info....

cigdaze
03-12-2010, 02:05 PM
I keep my boat in a high & dry marina. If you find a good one you trust, there's no better convenience that having your boat in the water and fueled up by simply making a phone call. And the beauty is that your boat's kept dry, out of the water and out of the sun (if indoors). I think I'd be a little hesitant keeping my boat moored in the water all summer long.

mustang
03-12-2010, 02:32 PM
How big of a Formula???? where are you at north-south ect. there are lots of nice places just need more info....

It's a 357 and I've attached a pic. I live on the North side of the city around Irving Park Rd and LSD. Thanks for your help.

Magic Medicine
03-12-2010, 03:02 PM
I keep my boat in a high & dry marina. If you find a good one you trust, there's no better convenience that having your boat in the water and fueled up by simply making a phone call. And the beauty is that your boat's kept dry, out of the water and out of the sun (if indoors). I think I'd be a little hesitant keeping my boat moored in the water all summer long.

Rack storage for a boat that big isn't going to be an option except for the far
north side, North point. Not sure how big they will rack in East Chicago, Pastrick marina. Chicago, generally speaking is not a "boat friendly" city.

Tony M
03-12-2010, 04:49 PM
your good at North Point , "kind of out of the way"

10x
03-13-2010, 02:20 PM
It's a 357 and I've attached a pic. I live on the North side of the city around Irving Park Rd and LSD. Thanks for your help.

I have access to a slip if you might be considering keeping it in the water. The harbor is Belmont, the slip is 50'. If you're interested, pm me. Probably walking distance from where you live. LOL

Frank

MILD THUNDER
03-14-2010, 10:25 PM
Rack storage for a boat that big isn't going to be an option except for the far
north side, North point. Not sure how big they will rack in East Chicago, Pastrick marina. Chicago, generally speaking is not a "boat friendly" city.

Sunset bay rack stored my 402 SR1 and a 47 Fountain. East Chicago wont do more than 28ft i think. Check Crowleys. They were talking about doing it, and are right at the mouth of the lake on the cal sag. Also right off the skyway, at 95th ST and the river.

http://www.crowleys.com/

MILD THUNDER
03-14-2010, 10:33 PM
I did rack storage from 2005-2009. It it VERY nice to come in after a long day of boating and not have to haul the boat out. Just tie up to the dock. Downside is, premium fuel wasnt available, and nothin beats gassin up on the trailer in indiana cost wise. One tank of fuel for me could have been a difference of 200 bucks with a 240 gallon capacity.

Tony M
03-15-2010, 07:31 AM
Sunset bay rack stored my 402 SR1 and a 47 Fountain. East Chicago wont do more than 28ft i think. Check Crowleys. They were talking about doing it, and are right at the mouth of the lake on the cal sag. Also right off the skyway, at 95th ST and the river.

http://www.crowleys.com/ Stored there one year with my 271 and the guys there where alittle scared with that and scrach it up a few times there not an option. :(

OBNOXUS
03-15-2010, 09:08 AM
Translation:

Tony stored his 271 there for a little while.

Apparently the employees were a little apprehensive about handling his boat, and even with the extra care they gave said boat,,,,, managed to scratch it anyway.

He would not consider this a viable storage option.

end translation

mustang
03-15-2010, 01:19 PM
Thanks guys! The advice and translation services are invaluable. Hey Mild Thunder....since you stored at Sunset for a few years how long on average did it take you to get through the locks to the river?

MILD THUNDER
03-15-2010, 01:38 PM
Its only a 15 minute ride to the lake from there, but the locks can be a 45 minute ordeal.

As for the guys at sunset bay, Al, the one kid, has been running a forklift for in/out for a long time now. He is the guy to deal with there, super nice kid. He has handled brand new 47 fountains, so not sure why they would have been apprehensive about a 27 formula. One of the owners (shadow) is a super guy. Tell whoever you deal with you are one of "Joe" with "outrageous" guys.

Hammer01
03-15-2010, 02:10 PM
Its only a 15 minute ride to the lake from there, but the locks can be a 45 minute ordeal.

As for the guys at sunset bay, Al, the one kid, has been running a forklift for in/out for a long time now. He is the guy to deal with there, super nice kid. He has handled brand new 47 fountains, so not sure why they would have been apprehensive about a 27 formula. One of the owners (shadow) is a super guy. Tell whoever you deal with you are one of "Joe" with "outrageous" guys.

This would guarantee you scratches and a big bar bill when you are done!!!! haha
Mustang, if you don't mind the short ride to the city, Northpoint and Winthrop Harbor by Waukegan are said to be a blast. Their rack storage handles up to about 42 feet and they allow you to put it on a cradle off the rack storage to clean, service, work on it, etc., even in the shed. They say a bunch of the power boaters hang out there even during crappy weather weekends and party plus they have an awesome bar there that several of the bad influence guys have been to. I have been considering up there for my next one as it is very convenient and again out of the conditions and good people from what I have encountered. Good luck.

Tony M
03-15-2010, 02:16 PM

As for the guys at sunset bay, Al, the one kid, has been running a forklift for in/out for a long time now. He is the guy to deal with there, super nice kid. He has handled brand new 47 fountains, so not sure why they would have been apprehensive about a 27 formula. One of the owners (shadow) is a super guy. Tell whoever you deal with you are one of "Joe" with "outrageous" guys. East Chicago is the one that scrach the boat not Sunset some where in the translation someone screwed up ! or mislead you and many others. :sifone:

MILD THUNDER
03-15-2010, 05:17 PM
East Chicago is the one that scrach the boat not Sunset some where in the translation someone screwed up ! or mislead you and many others. :sifone:

lol! Sucks cuz if EC did big boats, it would be a great location! Seriously though, crowleys is a good location on the water. Even on those nasty 6-8ft days, you can always drop in, head south, and stop by one of the marinas/bars for lunch on the river.

Hammer01
03-15-2010, 06:52 PM
lol! Sucks cuz if EC did big boats, it would be a great location! Seriously though, crowleys is a good location on the water. Even on those nasty 6-8ft days, you can always drop in, head south, and stop by one of the marinas/bars for lunch on the river.

I totally agree with this Joe, we used to launch at least half the time in Alsip and putt up the Cal Sag. We only stopped a few times at the bars but every time they were very accomodating to say the least. They loved seeing our "Cigar boats" pull up. You said it best though, we jumped into the Cal Sag when the lake got really ugly and could still have a good afternoon and pull out on the south side of Chicago with next to no traffic to get home. Can't usually say that coming from Johnny's slip in EC or Hammond/Mich City etc. How much did they charge for a slip with a lift at Papa Tulos (sp) Joe, didn't you leave it there as well?

Magic Medicine
03-15-2010, 08:21 PM
I don't mind a river run now and then! Tell me more about these bars everyone is taking about????

redhotsommer
03-15-2010, 09:27 PM
Here's the only one you need:

http://www.skippersmarina.com/

Have a 1/2 gallon of the green stuff they sell and you'll be on another planet.

MILD THUNDER
03-15-2010, 09:58 PM
Only problem with a river run, is making sure one of those asian carps dont jump in your boat. One of those suckers jump in my ride they are gonna have a fight. No way am i sharing my grey goose with some immigrant chinaman fish.

MILD THUNDER
03-15-2010, 10:13 PM
I totally agree with this Joe, we used to launch at least half the time in Alsip and putt up the Cal Sag. We only stopped a few times at the bars but every time they were very accomodating to say the least. They loved seeing our "Cigar boats" pull up. You said it best though, we jumped into the Cal Sag when the lake got really ugly and could still have a good afternoon and pull out on the south side of Chicago with next to no traffic to get home. Can't usually say that coming from Johnny's slip in EC or Hammond/Mich City etc. How much did they charge for a slip with a lift at Papa Tulos (sp) Joe, didn't you leave it there as well?

Papichulos is the bar that is part of sunset bay. I did sometimes leave mine in a slip for the weekend, rather than have them hoist it out friday night, if i had planned to go boating saturday morning. I wouldnt recommend leaving the boat in the water on the river. Of course if you did a hoist, thats ok. The water gets too warm on the river, which leads to lots of algae growth fast. Plus I skeeved the river water. I remember dropping the end of one of art's dock lines in the river while tying up, I could tell he got pissed!

Art with his 39FT aronow cat and me with my 402 formula used to pull up at riverdale marina on friday nights with our boats. Needless to say we attracted quite a few onlookers as we idled around looking for a parkin spot next to a 23ft'er. They used to have a live band outside facing the river every friday night. Arts boat is friggin loud with full dry pipes, you would think it had twin 1200's in it! Then we would hit waterfront pub on the way back for a few more. Many friday nights we were on the river till 2am. Good Times.

B.Z.
03-15-2010, 11:00 PM
Man this brings back memories I haven't been on the river in a long time!!!! I miss skippers!!!!

OBNOXUS
03-16-2010, 08:58 AM
I miss the river to,,,,,its been years since I hit a log, or picnic table, or seen a floating trojan trout while boating !!!!

Tony M
03-16-2010, 09:10 AM
"Green Stuff" They call that "Down Scopes"

Magic Medicine
03-16-2010, 09:53 AM
The loop cruise is just around the corner, thats a pretty fun preseason river run! I am pretty sure I will be doing it in my boat!

B.Z.
03-16-2010, 11:25 AM
Party time with Andy........

mustang
03-16-2010, 11:27 AM
"Immigrant chinaman fish" Funny as hell! PC has no place on this board or my boat! Agreed but I'd put up a bigger fight for Templeton Rye Whiskey!

Magic Medicine
03-16-2010, 12:32 PM

Nice!!!!!:cheers2:

MILD THUNDER
03-16-2010, 08:23 PM

When is it not "Party Time" when your with Andy?

redhotsommer
03-16-2010, 09:09 PM

8 am Sunday morning. "Uuuuuuuggggghhhhh."

Magic Medicine
03-16-2010, 10:09 PM

8 am Sunday morning. "Uuuuuuuggggghhhhh."

:iamwithstupid:

ICDEDPPL
03-17-2010, 06:38 PM
Translation:

Tony stored his 271 there for a little while.

Apparently the employees were a little apprehensive about handling his boat, and even with the extra care they gave said boat,,,,, managed to scratch it anyway.

He would not consider this a viable storage option.

end translation

LOL I read it 3 times and still didn`t get it.. thanx for the translation :sifone:

Tony M
03-18-2010, 08:24 AM
LOL I read it 3 times and still didn`t get it.. thanx for the translation :sifone: you really do need to go back to Work. :rolleyes:

redhotsommer
03-18-2010, 09:48 AM
IC...this would be the perfect opportunity to tell Tony he needs to go back to school...

Tony M
03-18-2010, 10:07 AM
IC...this would be the perfect opportunity to tell Tony he needs to go back to school... Love to So I Could Be as Smart as You Cracker Azz. :kiss: :sifone:

Magic Medicine
03-18-2010, 10:33 AM
IC...this would be the perfect opportunity to tell Tony he needs to go back to school...

:eek:

Twin Whackas
03-18-2010, 01:18 PM
[QUOTE=MILD THUNDER;458398]Papichulos is the bar that is part of sunset bay.

I hit Papichulos up for lunch every now and then during the work week. There is normally some pretty good scenery to look at :willy_nilly:

OBNOXUS
03-18-2010, 10:14 PM
Love to So I Could Be as Smart as You Cracker Azz. :kiss: :sifone:

This, from the whitest guy in the group :rolleyes:

Magic Medicine
03-19-2010, 12:17 PM
This, from the whitest guy in the group :rolleyes:

Man Tony M can't catch a break!

Tony M
03-19-2010, 04:47 PM
Man Tony M can't catch a break! On Whipper Snappers! :sifone: