PDA

View Full Version : 1969 race boat?

damdonzi
03-12-2010, 12:26 PM
Is this a rare boat, or no? I had a 28 open, and this is like a hybrid of that. Same center open section, but not with the walkaround engine box. Anyone remember this boat by any chance? Just curious. I've never seen one exactly like this before.

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/boa/1638371054.html

This is a 1969 Cigarette, mfg by the Cigarette Racing Team, and is believed to be one of the very first Cigarette boats, and most likely, the one pictured in the ad. It needs restoration. Needs upholstery, and engine work. I personally saw both engines running great in 2007, but have since sat uncovered. The port side engine starts and runs, has good oil pressure, but doen not run well due to the carb is no good. The Starboard engine will not turn over, and likely has water in the cyls from sitting for 3 years. The drives are Volvo 280 drives, and are in great shape. Everything on this boat worked great 3 years ago, but sitting neglected has taken it's toll. The main fuel tank has been pulled, boiled, flushed, pressure tested, and reinstalled. Trailer is fair at best, if you are local, it will get you to where you are going, I wouldn't go very far though. This is a classic offshore boat, and part of Cigarette history. You most likely will never see another one. I have been told they only built about 7 of these in 1969. The reason it is believed this is the actual racing boat in the ad is as follows: the boat was raced in '69, '70, and '71. Production boats had twin 6 cyl engines, with Mercruiser drives. This boat has 1971 LT-1's, and Volvo drives. You can see that both boats in the pictures have Volvo drives. This boat also has a non-production aux fuel tank in the center cabin. This was common for offshore racers for more capacity, and better weight distribution. This boat has no hull ID#, as it was produced only for racing (not to worry, I have a clear, clean, legitimate title). Production boats did not have the cover over the center cabin, as that was open seating, this one is covered just like the picture. Also the original paint scheme is still visible under the present paint, and you can clearly see it was painted as it was in the picture. The engine cover and rear bench seat are very obviously not original to this boat, as you can see when you get in the boat. You can however see where the original engine cover sat, etc. The legendary Don Aronow founded the Cigarette Racing Team in 1969, and it's very likely he and his crew hand built this boat.

Definate project, but one that's worth doing. It's the cheapest Cigarette out there at $7500

Please call Chad for more details

MOBILEMERCMAN
03-12-2010, 01:06 PM
It looks like it has some home made fairing on it.

Chris
03-12-2010, 01:19 PM
I agree. The cockpit surround goes all the way up as original. It appears someone stuck a filler panel in there.

xlr8by
03-12-2010, 02:29 PM
What was the production span for the TRS drive?

nthdegree
03-12-2010, 02:33 PM
Gee I wonder where that brochure came from!!!:driving:

69cig28std
04-13-2010, 12:28 PM
I bought this puppy, and hope anyone has anymore info on this. It is supposed to be the "Abraxas 100" Owned by John Kenyan, winner of the production class, Bahama 500. Dont know what year, but pre 72 for sure.

Bobcat
04-13-2010, 05:36 PM
Welcome to SOS 69cig ! puts some photo's in here and in the classic section.

69cig28std
04-16-2010, 12:55 PM
the boat on the right is supposed to be mine......

69cig28std
04-16-2010, 12:59 PM
Really glad to find you guys,as I'm a newbie at this game.....and hope I can hit some historic, or poker run events in my old cig! Working on freshening up power, as the 71 LT-1's are pretty tired......all original but tired.

69cig28std
04-16-2010, 01:04 PM
Here is the current status, with the trailer being dead, and just before it left sunny California, to go across country to South Carolina..... Hull seems to be in great shape, but we still need to verify the original race colors...