PDA

View Full Version : Gladiators with NXTs 700s

masher44
03-11-2010, 09:35 PM
How did they run this year? Any info?

OldSchool
03-11-2010, 09:57 PM
Is there more than the one that Lip-Ship did? (The Last Gladiator)That's one pretty MoFo!!

Never did hear much more about it after the dialing in runs.

GENERAL LEE
03-11-2010, 11:05 PM
Phil's boat is the only one with 700's & NXT's.

He's told me it runs incredible like you'd expect, since the drives & bigger props keep the power hooked up better than an XR or Bravo setup with a hubbed prop.

If they would make more of them, I'm sure they'd sell even better due to the availability of that setup. Oh well :rolleyes:

JupiterSunsation
03-12-2010, 08:31 AM
The 725 Ilmors would be interesting as well since they are lighter than the Merc package and the boats need to be lighter in the bow to compensate for it (Gladiator being ideal, no bow weight!).

Onesickgladiator
03-12-2010, 10:34 AM
Phil's boat is the only one with 700's & NXT's.

He's told me it runs incredible like you'd expect, since the drives & bigger props keep the power hooked up better than an XR or Bravo setup with a hubbed prop.

If they would make more of them, I'm sure they'd sell even better due to the availability of that setup. Oh well :rolleyes: Phil sold it two weeks ago to a guy that had the 2003 Miami boat show Gladiator with zul's in it

Rick OSG

Chris
03-12-2010, 10:55 AM
It's gotta be a rocketship.

OldSchool
03-12-2010, 11:15 AM
110 before dialing in...

http://www.seriousoffshore.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1159&highlight=Gladiator

GENERAL LEE
03-12-2010, 11:34 AM
Phil sold it two weeks ago to a guy that had the 2003 Miami boat show Gladiator with zul's in it

Rick OSG

What's up Rick!

Just so that I'm clear...., did it sell to the guy that bought the 2003 Miami Show Gladiator with Zul's, when it was NEW.......or did it sell to the guy that last owned the 2003 Gladiator with Zul's from the 03 show......? :sifone:

If it sold to the first guy.....how do you like it? http://smiliesftw.com/x/cooleek.gif (http://smiliesftw.com)

That's a baaaaad ass boat!

Onesickgladiator
03-12-2010, 04:14 PM
What's up Rick!

Just so that I'm clear...., did it sell to the guy that bought the 2003 Miami Show Gladiator with Zul's, when it was NEW.......or did it sell to the guy that last owned the 2003 Gladiator with Zul's from the 03 show......? :sifone:

If it sold to the first guy.....how do you like it? http://smiliesftw.com/x/cooleek.gif (http://smiliesftw.com)

That's a baaaaad ass boat!B lee Phil sold it to Tony same guy that bought the 2003 Boat Show Boat my glad was the 2004 show Boat.

I did hear that the new Glad with merc 700 did run like it was on rails over 110 that for sure

Rick OSG

Tommy Gun
03-12-2010, 04:59 PM
Pushing 120 would be my guess...

nthdegree
03-12-2010, 07:21 PM
Pushing 120 would be my guess...

Not unless it has an OL bottom on it!!!!!:driving:

OldSchool
03-12-2010, 08:07 PM

Is this "the Dad" or "the kid posting on Dad's account"??

damdonzi
03-12-2010, 09:23 PM
Is this "the Dad" or "the kid posting on Dad's account"??

I get confused with that too. Thank you for asking!

Tank
03-12-2010, 10:14 PM
Do you even need to ask? With a comment like that, it's definately the kid.:rolleyes:
The dad actually has some class.

nthdegree
03-13-2010, 08:05 AM
Do you even need to ask? With a comment like that, it's definately the kid.:rolleyes:

Thank you Tank..but honestly gentlemen....the Gladiator bottom has just not kept up with the industry..like the 4 step Donzi ZRC...our 525 Gladiator we saw 92.8 mph(and I am not talking everyday!)..loved the boat..still love the Gladiator's...a full size 39 OL runs over 95 mph with the same power and it's aerodynamic blob!!!(and that's an old bottom) ..I think Phil told us it was at 112-113 mph...and since the power needed to go faster is to an exponential power compared to the speed....it's just the physics at play here..it is doubtful the boat can run 120mph...that's all I'm saying..the biggest benefit of the 700SCI Glad is the props it swings for when the going gets "rough"
that's my opinion...so what does the boat really run???
P.S. The post was made by the elder....sea ya....I have to go take an engine out of a boat...

Sydwayz
03-13-2010, 10:15 PM
More steps does not make a boat faster.

jayboat
03-14-2010, 12:06 AM
:cheers2:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2542/3895200734_31ca59a58c_o.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2595/4174315918_bee8f2831b_o.jpg

OldSchool
03-14-2010, 08:19 AM
Holy chit. Look at the size of that MoFo in the back seat!!!!!!!!:eek::eek::eek:

MarylandMark
03-14-2010, 09:14 AM
Holy chit. Look at the size of that MoFo in the back seat!!!!!!!!:eek::eek::eek:

+1 I think I said the same thing in the original thread on this boat. 5MPH right there!

Tommy Gun
03-14-2010, 12:04 PM
Thank you Tank..but honestly gentlemen....the Gladiator bottom has just not kept up with the industry..like the 4 step Donzi ZRC...our 525 Gladiator we saw 92.8 mph(and I am not talking everyday!)..loved the boat..still love the Gladiator's...a full size 39 OL runs over 95 mph with the same power and it's aerodynamic blob!!!(and that's an old bottom) ..I think Phil told us it was at 112-113 mph...and since the power needed to go faster is to an exponential power compared to the speed....it's just the physics at play here..it is doubtful the boat can run 120mph...that's all I'm saying..the biggest benefit of the 700SCI Glad is the props it swings for when the going gets "rough"
that's my opinion...so what does the boat really run???
P.S. The post was made by the elder....sea ya....I have to go take an engine out of a boat...

So how much faster is a Glad vs a Top Gun with the same power?

Ktron
03-14-2010, 12:38 PM
It has run 119!

Team Tsunami
03-14-2010, 01:23 PM
So how much faster is a Glad vs a Top Gun with the same power?

5+ give or take.

Team Tsunami
03-14-2010, 01:24 PM

Tank keep your stupid comments to yourself!

Tank
03-14-2010, 02:45 PM
Tank keep your stupid comments to yourself!

Kid, your immaturity comes out in spades. One of these days you're going to bite off more than you can chew and your little group of buddies wont come to your rescue.

And I've said it before, I'll say it again; I can gaurantee you wouldn't be talking to me the way you do on this forum if I was standing in front of you there keyboard cowboy.:rolleyes:

OldSchool
03-14-2010, 03:15 PM
OK guys..... I really don't want to have to come back in this thread and "do the cleanup" thing like I had to the last time that this happened.:rolleyes:

Is there really a reason to come into the Cigarette forum and throw a grenade with the whole OL cheerleading thing?

......or at least go buy one if they are so great. I know that ignoring chit like this is easier said than done, but let's not screw up a potentially great thread with childish behavior.

Craig

masher44
03-14-2010, 06:16 PM
Hard to believe there is only one. Seemed like a killer combo. I liked it because its a sit down and has got to run 115. Nothing cooler to me than a very user-unfriendly sit down rocket :sifone:

Tommy Gun
03-14-2010, 06:59 PM
Hard to believe there is only one. Seemed like a killer combo. I liked it because its a sit down and has got to run 115. Nothing cooler to me than a very user-unfriendly sit down rocket :sifone:

They took the boat out of the production lineup but they went ahead and did the one for Phil. I'm sure you could get them to build you one; or go find an older one put some 700's/NXT in it...sixes may be an option but may be too heavy???

masher44
03-14-2010, 07:29 PM
I doubt sixes would be necessary. Just curious on how they ran and if they had any issues. 850s may be even more killer?

Onesickgladiator
03-14-2010, 10:38 PM
I doubt sixes would be necessary. Just curious on how they ran and if they had any issues. 850s may be even more killer? 700 turned up 800+ with nxt drives = 120+ mph

Rick OSG

masher44
03-15-2010, 12:34 PM
700 turned up 800+ with nxt drives = 120+ mph

Rick OSG

Is there much difference in weight with the 700/NXTs than what you ran? I know yours handled well I was wondering if there is a weight difference and if the mannerisms of the boat would change from yours or any other Glads

Onesickgladiator
03-15-2010, 02:05 PM
Is there much difference in weight with the 700/NXTs than what you ran? I know yours handled well I was wondering if there is a weight difference and if the mannerisms of the boat would change from yours or any other Glads Night and day from what I am told.

Rick OSG

nthdegree
03-15-2010, 02:41 PM
WOW...some of us a little "sensitive" saying anything about Cigarette and Outerlimits in the same sentence!!! Maybe some of us can appreciate what Outerlimits and Skater have done for construction technology and speed improvements. My previous comments, which have seemed to upset someone, where based on owning a Gladiator for a few years and putting quite a bit of time in one.

525efi's run the the low 90's

The 600sci boat was struggling to hit 100mph..

We all know Rick had the fastest Gladiator and he had more power than Phil's!

We had considered upgrading our power at one time, but it just wasn't worth it to us, for the speed improvement.
“I have a pair of 575 SC at Zuls (Fresh rebuilds 685 H.P. 102-105 mph . A pair of his EFI are nice but about $70,000 for the pair = 108-110 mph. A pair of 4 barrel 675’s = 102-105 mph”
The above quote is from the Gladiator master himself so logically speaking it would not be possible to see Phil's boat hitting 120 mph..no...??
I tried to put a little logic into my post..it just didn't work.

If Phil's boat does run 120 mph...wow!!!! I emailed Phil Saturday about the final "number". We met the new owner when we were buying our Gladiator, years ago.

So then comes a post totally unwarranted against my son. Well I guess it was actually directed at me. Maybe his experience coming from running in a lot of stepped bottom boats doesn't count. Maybe the unwarranted post comes from just ones myopic view of the boating industry? The view where only the 1(one) exists? Me I like them all...
I'm done...
P.S. Try get a ride in one the Super Leggera bottom boats, just for technology sake, and tell me what you think! or maybe the 4 step Donzi ZRC?
P.S.S. How about a ride in an unpowered cat? 470 hp..over 105mph!!! technology!!

TCEd
03-15-2010, 02:44 PM

and not one hair out of place !!!!!

MarylandMark
03-15-2010, 05:24 PM
So then comes a post totally unwarranted against my son. Well I guess it was actually directed at me. Maybe his experience coming from running in a lot of stepped bottom boats doesn't count.

I'm 37 going on 38 and jealous of the opportunities your son has had to run the boats he has run. I wish I had that seat time at my age, yet alone having it at his age. That being said, his post where much more enjoyable when he was the eager learner than the constant cheerleader. He comes off as nobody can build as great of a boat as OL can rather than OL builds an awesome boat. Yes, a few of his post have said others build a great boat but for the most part, the tone if it's not an OL then it's junk.

Those that know a lot don't have to be know it alls

Chris
03-15-2010, 06:35 PM
WOW...some of us a little "sensitive" saying anything about Cigarette and Outerlimits in the same sentence!!! Maybe some of us can appreciate what Outerlimits and Skater have done for construction technology and speed improvements. My previous comments, which have seemed to upset someone, where based on owning a Gladiator for a few years and putting quite a bit of time in one. !!

With all due respect-

This was a thread about what a Gladiator would run with 700's in it. No questions about comparisons to any other boats. People made some statements as to what they thought that speed would be.

then...

If I were one of those people that had spoken about how fast the boat travelled, I'd have taken that as a statement challenging what I had written. And maybe I'm a sensitive guy too, but I'd have taken it as sort of a schoolyard taunt- especially when the poster is known to be a major OL proponent. Nonetheless, the comment was out of place.

Second, I've been in Tom's 700/NXT Cig 39 and it runs 117-118. So the idea that a much lighter boat with less drag and a very similar bottom running 120 isn't really any sort of a stretch.

Chris
03-15-2010, 06:39 PM
And to your comments about OL. technology and speed- I was on a run last summer with an OL. We were in an Apache 41. On the way out the OL smoked past us, even though we were carrying substantially larger power. As it kicked up in the afternoon, we blew by the OL- props never broke free. The OL crew looked like they'd been in a barroom brawl at the next stop. The point? All boats do different things. There ain't no "best". Never will be.

top ven
03-15-2010, 07:01 PM
Are you talking about Tommy Guns 39 ? what has he done to the 700 s?

Cigarette1
03-15-2010, 08:01 PM
I drove it myself @118.. and got passed by it in detroit. Its for real, and the bottom is 10 years old. Imagine if they wanted a 2010 bottom.. P.s., a fountain race boat and a few #6 outerlimits got smoked on lake Erie that day too.!!

PM203
03-15-2010, 08:32 PM
The ironic thing here is that OL is not the best boat available today. But the media and a select few have got the boating community to believe its the best thing since sliced bread. OL is the best, OL is the king, OL can do no wrong. While it is a much nicer than average boat and it seems to have a very effiecent bottom plus the latest in build technology, it still trails behind several of the other boat manufacturers in certain areas. As said here before, there are positives and negatives with all boats. I can appreciate OL for what it is but do not appreciate any type of Cig bashing in the Cigarette forum, joke or no joke. Its not that I am thin skinned, I just don't feel it was appropriate in this particular thread and like everybody else, am getting tired of it. Enough said, now how about that 119 mph, like its on rails!!

masher44
03-15-2010, 08:34 PM
Ive asked several times about both the Skater 399V and the OL 39 GTX as well. All sit downs and along the lines of what I could see myself in during the future unless its a cat.

I am not interested in an OL for certain reasons. And the Skater V hasnt really had too much testing with milder power yet. I love the non user friendly aspects of a Glad and the hot rod build of it, (yeah I know weird but my last boat was the most non user friendly ever made).

I know OSG was pushing 800+ through his and a couple others in the 750 range. And I have been in one with 700 a side. Just wondered if the NXT boat had any type of issues with it or was made better or worse with the NXTs.

masher44
03-15-2010, 08:36 PM
And when I want to test drive an OL, or several, I wont need to make a post about it in the forum.

Tank
03-15-2010, 08:52 PM

So then comes a post totally unwarranted against my son. Well I guess it was actually directed at me. Maybe his experience coming from running in a lot of stepped bottom boats doesn't count. Maybe the unwarranted post comes from just ones myopic view of the boating industry? The view where only the 1(one) exists? Me I like them all...

please. Totally unwarranted post against your son? Hardly. My origional post was based on your sons previous posts and the fact I have never personally seen you put a post up like that. As I stated, you usually have more class. To me, saying one boat is better than another (out of no where mind you) is unwarranted and rude and frankly is consistant with your sons posts.

I challenge you to find one post of mine where I put down another boat or even said cigarette was better. You won't find one. I actually appreciate many, many builders (including OL). I think OL's are sleek, beutifully crafted machines. I also won't go into a thread and say, "unless it's a Cigarette...".

Everyone has their favorites. I'm obviously not the only one that thought your post was a little off color.

And regarding this thread. The statement made was someone thought this glad was pushing 120. If it's run 119, then that would def qualify as pushing 120.

Onesickgladiator
03-16-2010, 09:41 AM
Bottom Line this Glad that Phil Just sold Did run 118+ with NXT drives and will run 115+ every day. Because of the NXT drive running real props

If I was looking to do a new Glad this would be the set up to go with.

Rick OSG

But then again what do I know about a Glad.

masher44
03-16-2010, 10:39 AM
Bottom Line this Glad that Phil Just sold Did run 118+ with NXT drives and will run 115+ every day. Because of the NXT drive running real props

If I was looking to do a new Glad this would be the set up to go with.

Rick OSG

But then again what do I know about a Glad.

wow impressive! Thanks Rick!

PM203
03-16-2010, 10:41 AM
Not bad for an old hull made out of fiberglass. :D Maybe it was the superior fit and finish that makes it so fast.

Magic Medicine
03-16-2010, 10:43 PM

just thought the same thing, remembers me of a certain farley quote

WMF
03-16-2010, 11:32 PM
And to your comments about OL. technology and speed- I was on a run last summer with an OL. We were in an Apache 41. On the way out the OL smoked past us, even though we were carrying substantially larger power. As it kicked up in the afternoon, we blew by the OL- props never broke free. The OL crew looked like they'd been in a barroom brawl at the next stop. The point? All boats do different things. There ain't no "best". Never will be.

It was rough in the morning!! The afternoon was fine, the OL you are taking about never ran against Robs 41 Apache!! as far as I remember!! The OL belongs to a good friend, it took the rough water just fine, no one looked beat up! I have no idea why you would compare the two boats? As far as I rember Chris you where in Craig's Cigarette that day? I love Outterlimits boat, and I like the old school looks of the Apache, but there is no way to compare the Two!!

Chris
03-16-2010, 11:34 PM
The run was in Cleveland, Bill.

And the "barroom brawl" was an obvious exaggeration.

But you got one thing right- the observation about them being different boats. Which was my point exactly.

WMF
03-16-2010, 11:40 PM
The run was in Cleveland, Bill.

And the "barroom brawl" was an obvious exaggeration.

But you got one thing right- the observation about them being different boats. Which was my point exactly.

We had a barroom brawl in Cambridge:sifone:, sorry thought you ment the Cambridge Poker Run, my fault!! my bad:eek: