PDA

View Full Version : sponsorship letter?

Next Generation
03-09-2010, 09:44 AM
Hey guys has anyone ever written a formal letter for sponsorship? I have come across an oportunity but need help in the formalities. What is a formal letter? Is it just a reqiest for sponsorship? Or is it the proposal? Any help would be appreciated.

Jr

MANITIE
03-09-2010, 12:23 PM
Hey Jr

If it is your first formal letter, keep it short, so do not send 1 or 2 pages of a proposal, the first step is to get there attention on what you can do for there company and how it will benifit from there investment to you,
Outline the basics and keep it short:
ie: TV, media, apperances, and the area's you will be racing were it will benifit there company, also if your team can bring in market shares for those area's that they are not currently getting to.
Get them excited on the first propsal, if you get there attention, they will inquire to get more infomation from you, also offer to meet in person with them with more information, meeting a marketing and advertising department face to face is a huge advantage.
Don't send a generic proposal, they see them everyday. Write it as if you are in charge of there advertising company and what would get your attention to want to hear more.
Be patient but persitent, for the Coast Guard it took me 9 months, 5 face to face meetings and overcoming legal objection, everytime I overcame there last objections, they come up with a new one. The one Capt in DC even joked me, we just signed you because you would not go away.
Winnebago took over 4 months and so on...I have not got a check from any company that did not take months.
If its a major company...it will take time...background checks and so on...if its a small company and you can get referals from, it will go a lot easier.

just a little input

Gino

Chris
03-09-2010, 12:30 PM
Try this-

http://www.seriousoffshore.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12001

If you need specific help in crafting an approach and a presentation, PM me. I'd be happy to help.

MANITIE
03-09-2010, 01:21 PM
A little more info...

With Geico as the Series sponsor make it a point to put that in, it brings in credibility to the Series.
In 2003 with APBA when GMC sponsored the Series and the TV with Speed, it was so much easier to get sponsors and to ask for good money, with the backing of a major Corp. you will find it easier, keep enphasising the Sereis sponsor,
Also be prepared to answer insurance liabilities questions.
and if needed Rick Felson can take care of you there...

Good luck....and see you soon...

Next Generation
03-09-2010, 05:41 PM
Thanks guys! Hope this works out! So the formal letter is an introduction of team and attention getter as to how they will benefit from sponsoring us in 1 powerful page? Not accomplishments thus far or stats?

Jr

Chris
03-09-2010, 06:49 PM
That depends on the target. If the person reading the letter has never seen a powerboat race, they're going to get a different letter than someone motorsports savvy and sponsored before.

Most of all, you have to aim towards your desired result. And then you have to ask for an action. If the letter is coming to me cold...

- I need a reason to read it. We all get junk mail. Most gets trashed unread. Hook me in the first paragraph on why what you have is good for me.

- Stick to the simple stuff. Two or three compelling points are all I'm going to invest in understanding.

- Remember the letter is selling the next step. You don't want to waste your sales pitch in the letter- it's a complicated deal and the letter can't answer objections. So you need to sell me on a personal meeting.

Mostly what you're looking for is something that your target will remember you by when you call to ask for an appointment. There's nothing wrong with a hook- you need to be memorable. I did a mailing once- it was a note taped to a "silver platter" Basically a $3 chrome dish I got from a promo company. We put these in USPS priority boxes. The note said "I'll deliver customers to you on a silver platter" and a brief intro on the inside. Worked amazingly well. Not everyone bought, but everyone took the call. and they were easier calls. It went from just another PITA salesman to someone unique that showed some ingenuity, broke the ice and made some tough businessmen crack a smile. and often that's the biggest hurdle. But be careful. There can be a fine line between "unique, creative and charming" and "odd, creepy and weird."

RACESDAD
03-10-2010, 10:29 AM
remember this one thing. it is a partnership not sponsorship. you are building a relationship, they can give anyone money
always use the term partnership