PDA

View Full Version : 1985 38 ft Cigarette Flat Deck

Rick G
03-08-2010, 04:47 PM
Well I am finally a member of the cigarette Family. I bought a 1985 Kevlar flat deck hull. I am going to move the power and drives from my 43 Scarab to the Cig. I will be in the market to sell a great 43 Scarab hull that has a genny and A/C on a like new Myco if you know anybody let me know.

Thanks Rick G.

THEJOKER
03-08-2010, 04:52 PM
Nice boat!

Rick G
03-08-2010, 04:59 PM
The first thing I have to do is reconfigure the Reggie throttles.

Perlmudder
03-08-2010, 05:03 PM
looks like a canadian boat? congratz!

Rick G
03-08-2010, 05:05 PM
It is now . Like all Cig's originally from the great state of FLA.

Bobcat
03-08-2010, 06:57 PM
Hey Rick, Serious Offshore classifieds are free...you just have to register again in the classifieds. put that Scarab in there when you are ready.

beautiful boat by the way !

Rick G
03-08-2010, 08:09 PM
Bobcat I have tried a number of times to post my AD and have not been successful. I will try again and let you know where I get hung up.

Perlmudder what led you that conclusion I am curious.

Rick G.

MrCig
03-08-2010, 08:18 PM
Congrats on the new boat. You are going to love it.

Mark:sifone:

Airpacker
03-08-2010, 08:47 PM
Nice Rick. That will sure be easy to spot at the chief or on simcoe.

Rick G
03-08-2010, 09:00 PM
Airpacker look for me at Peferlaw bay most weekends ( we call it chicken bay). I play mostly on south Simcoe. My cottage in Jackson's point. If you are on the lake be sure to look me up. My email goes right to my blackberry .

Rick G.

Doug1
03-08-2010, 09:12 PM
Good looking boat. I still miss my 35' flat deck. What drives and power are you switching to ?

Wreckdoctor
03-08-2010, 11:28 PM
awsome boat!!! congrats.. redoing one like it myself now that i bought last fall. what power drives u gonna use? might be interested in the scarab if you want to pm me or email to wreckdoctor@gmail.com.. thanks,
lance

Perlmudder
03-09-2010, 12:04 AM
Bobcat I have tried a number of times to post my AD and have not been successful. I will try again and let you know where I get hung up.

Rick G.

Canadian Reg numbers! :cheers2:

Bobcat
03-09-2010, 08:10 AM

Rick G.

you have to re-register in the classifieds, just like you are joining the site all over again, (it keeps the spammers at bay) then you should be able to put up the ad. If you still have trouble ,contact Old School or CigDaze.

Biggus
03-09-2010, 08:13 AM
Very cool project. Looking forward to the progress reports!:sifone:

Airpacker
03-09-2010, 09:09 AM
Airpacker look for me at Peferlaw bay most weekends ( we call it chicken bay). I play mostly on south Simcoe. My cottage in Jackson's point. If you are on the lake be sure to look me up. My email goes right to my blackberry .

Rick G.

You're just around the corner from Catastrophe then. Watch out for his SOS 44 nortech CC with too many motors hanging off the back :)

Rick G
03-09-2010, 05:12 PM
Airpacker I see Cloake and Powell on the lake from time to time.
I keep my trailer at Crates and use their launch ramp to in and out my boat.
Hope to see you on the lake.

Rick G.

chrisk
03-09-2010, 05:15 PM
Congrats! I love the old flat decks

imco offshore
03-09-2010, 05:15 PM
congrats,,by far one of my top 2 boats,,( flat deck cig ,,& 36 apache )

Rick G
03-09-2010, 05:17 PM
Doug1 I am going to run a pair of 605's with approx 725hp straight motor with # III speedies. I am hoping to see mid to low 80's with this set up. The only real question are props. I ran 4 blade 25 pitch clevers and got 72 mph out of the 43 Scarab. I will start with these props and see where it takes me. Any imput from the flat deck guys would be appreciated.

Rick G.

Rick G
03-09-2010, 05:27 PM
Perlmudder good observation.

Rick G.

Doug1
03-09-2010, 06:29 PM
I hope I'm wrong but I played the HP game with my 85 Mistress and was surprised what it takes to get a 35' in the 70-75 mph range. I'm thinking you'll be lucky to get in the 80's with 725hp. Like I said I hope I'm wrong. I take it you had TRS on it. Ask around about X dimension on the 3's you might want to set the props a little higher than the TRS. Lots of Flat Deck's around that have been changed around so I'm sure you will get lots of help if you have any questions.

Keep us posted. Doug

Rick G
03-09-2010, 07:55 PM
Doug1 , thanks for the imput. When I rigged my 43 Scarab Archer marine in CA(the Scarab Guru). helped me with the set up. Where every one else suggested the prop shaft at 5 inches below the hull he told me to run it 2 to 3 inches . I ran at 2.5 inches and I think that is the main reach that beast ran the speed she did, mind you it was in cool air and a light load and it only took 3 thousand RPM and about 10 to 15 seconds to get her on plane depending on conditions(big boat and No III's so I went easy). Most of the Cigs of my vintage I have seen appear to run the drives on the low side say the 5 to 6 inch below the hull. I am going to do my home work , but I think a higher X dimeension along with the availablity of more props will allow a higher X dimension without hurting the time to plane too much. I have alot of research to do but that is my thought process right now. Again any insight from the Cig guru's would be greatly appreciated.

Rick G.

Cig Flat Deck
03-09-2010, 08:39 PM
Nice boat welcome to the family

Xtreme Air
03-10-2010, 08:38 AM
Best of luck with your project. Welcome.

CRT
03-10-2010, 08:50 AM
I am thinking that his hope of low 80's with the 38 is achieveable. He has 725HP. I had 675HP with my 35 mistress and it would run 77-78. His is a Kevlar boat I believe. The only mod I had was a shorter X Dimension once I moved from TRS to KONRAD. I was spinning 26" BRAVO I 4 blades. I could have gotten a little more speed bh having some prop work, but I didn before I sold the rig. Good luck with the project! Nice looking boat.

HERE ARE A FEW SHOTS OF MY FLAT DECK BEFORE I SOLD IT LAST SPRING!!

Rick G
03-10-2010, 02:51 PM
WOW CRT nice boat.

Rick G.

CRT
03-10-2010, 02:55 PM
Thanks, I put alot of time into it, and $. Sold it in the end. If I can be of any help with your project, feel free to ask me. Also, I may have some parts like grab handles, pop up chocks and some exaust tips that I had for the mistress that i never got to use. Keep us updated!

GENERAL LEE
03-10-2010, 03:21 PM
That's a really cool looking cabin. I could see using that on a new Cigarette as well. Those are my favorite colors on any Cigarette http://smiliesftw.com/x/cool.gif (http://smiliesftw.com)

EWPE
03-10-2010, 10:08 PM
Good luck with your 38 and welcome to the family!

Rick G
03-11-2010, 12:35 AM
CRT if you want to email some pictures I might be interested in the handles and pop ups. I will keep you guys apprised of my progress. I will probably not get the boat out of storage until some time in April. In the mean time need to get the power and drives out of the Scarab. The good news I have a couple of guys interested in the hull, all I have to is make a deal.
RG.

Airpacker
03-11-2010, 08:45 AM
Where will you be doing all this work Rick?

PS, CRT used to own what in my opinion is the nicest flat decker ever :)

CRT
03-11-2010, 08:54 AM
That's a really cool looking cabin. I could see using that on a new Cigarette as well. Those are my favorite colors on any Cigarette http://smiliesftw.com/x/cool.gif (http://smiliesftw.com)

Thanks on the Cabin. My wife created and sewed everything in the cabin. It was originally just white. Here is a before and after shot. She also sewed up some full length 2 piece covers for the boat and I redid the dash and made some PVC DOORS which replaced the wooden ones. I also put cup holders and grab handles on the bolsters. Kind of made it updated. I powdercoated what I could!

GENERAL LEE
03-11-2010, 10:14 AM
Thanks on the Cabin. My wife created and sewed everything in the cabin. It was originally just white. Here is a before and after shot. She also sewed up some full length 2 piece covers for the boat and I redid the dash and made some PVC DOORS which replaced the wooden ones. I also put cup holders and grab handles on the bolsters. Kind of made it updated. I powdercoated what I could!

You're wife is HANDY on the sewing machine! :cheers2:

That looks as good as any factory could have done it, without the invoice!

Rick G
04-17-2010, 10:48 AM
Airpacker, I will pull the motors at my friends shop in Etobicke which has a rolling gantry. Once I do that I will pull the oil pans and heads and go through them , probably replace the oil pumps (precausionary) rebuild the raw water pumps( annual event), check the valves and bearing reassemble and instal in the Cig. As both boats are set up for No 3's and just my luck the motors that came out of the Cig used the same offshore mounts so I am hoping it should be a relatively easy swap.If I don't have any issues with the mills I should be wet by the end of May.

Rick G.

CRT
04-19-2010, 09:01 PM
RICK G

I was wondering if you were still interested on the pull up stainless steel chocks that I have. Here are some pictures. I am looking for $75.00 for the pair. I paid 165.00, never installed. One still in package.

Ironmanwb
10-15-2010, 03:46 PM
Sorry to Hijack but I am still kicking myself for not finding the cash to buy your old boat CRT, what an incredible machine.

Tony
10-16-2010, 10:24 PM
No ****! I could have bought that thing for what I spent in parts.

CRT
10-20-2010, 01:40 PM
No ****! I could have bought that thing for what I spent in parts.

I know when I was selling it for 45K. Alot of interest, but it took 3 months to get it done. I priced it right at the time. If somone just bought it and parted it out, they would have made money even without running it. Every little part ads up. Just for the material for the cabin refit, I think I spent $3500 in vinyl, foam, carpet glue cupholders and some cigarette patches. We won't even get into the length of time and energy it takes to get it done.

That mistress was a sweet riding boat. Never needed tab, just set it level and let her rip. Perfectly tuned and setup.

Ironmanwb
10-20-2010, 03:22 PM
I know when I was selling it for 45K. Alot of interest, but it took 3 months to get it done. I priced it right at the time. If somone just bought it and parted it out, they would have made money even without running it. Every little part ads up. Just for the material for the cabin refit, I think I spent $3500 in vinyl, foam, carpet glue cupholders and some cigarette patches. We won't even get into the length of time and energy it takes to get it done.

That mistress was a sweet riding boat. Never needed tab, just set it level and let her rip. Perfectly tuned and setup.

Salt in an open wound.

Rick G
12-07-2010, 11:26 AM
CRT do you still have those pop up cleats for sale. If so what price and how would I get you payment?
RG.

jaysflatdeck
12-09-2010, 01:30 AM
CRT do you still have those pop up cleats for sale. If so what price and how would I get you payment?
RG.

Rick I bought the pop up cleats in the pick if thats the one ur askin about Ill sell the cause Im not going to use them let me no you can call me 519-818-6158