PDA

View Full Version : GPS Spedo antenna removal

Donskihp
03-05-2010, 07:21 PM
My Livorsi GPS spedo antennt was glued to the top of my dash with 3M 5200 sealant. The old antenna was one that has a battery in it. Iv'e tried to remove the antenna with no sucess.I don't care if I destroy the antenna as long as I don't scar or mar my dash.

imco offshore
03-05-2010, 10:00 PM
maybe try a long fishing leeder (piano wire) and saw it off pulling up as not to touch the deck,,just a thought,,,,,

Donskihp
03-05-2010, 11:45 PM
Might work with a real thin leader.I'll give it a try!

Ted
03-06-2010, 12:47 AM
Most technicians and most parts stores will have a roll of "piano wire" this is real thin, real strong and will cut the area you need, be careful, it will cut you pretty good too.

Ratickle
03-06-2010, 12:56 PM
which stuff are you referring to??? Lifeseal will come off with some moderate pressure using a terry cloth and some spraynine or greezoff, worst case some acetone. 5200 comes off with the release agent but it doesn't penetrate well so if you have it on say a trim tab, good luck! Had someone put on an outboard brakcket with 5200 once and we lifted the entire boat by the bracket and it didn't come off... 4 guys jumping on the back finally ripped it off and took all the gelcoat with it.

A quote from Frank awhile back.....:eek:

My Livorsi GPS spedo antennt was glued to the top of my dash with 3M 5200 sealant. The old antenna was one that has a battery in it. Iv'e tried to remove the antenna with no sucess.I don't care if I destroy the antenna as long as I don't scar or mar my dash.

Donskihp
03-10-2010, 05:31 PM
Couldn't find a local place for piano wire, however a found some guitar string (wire) at a local guitar shop.It worked like a champ.Thanks for the suggestion!

Ted
03-10-2010, 05:36 PM
Couldn't find a local place for piano wire, however a found some guitar string (wire) at a local guitar shop.It worked like a champ.Thanks for the suggestion!

Great idea! If I run out I'll just go raid my son's guitar, get the job done and quiet the noise too! Kill two birds with one stone :sifone::sifone:

imco offshore
03-10-2010, 06:31 PM
glad to hear it ,,good luck ,,