PDA

View Full Version : How to Paint an Engine?

ar15meister
03-05-2010, 01:32 PM
Once my blown motor is finished being rebuilt I am going to dress it up a bit by painting the block, the valve covers, intake and the carbs/ flame arrestors.

Any tips on how to do this? I have never done it before and I want to do it right with the proper materials. I have a full shop and even have a decent paint gun I think.

The boat is black and I am thinking of a red and black colour scheme for the engine itself.

I also want to paint my gil manifolds and exit pipes which were powdercoated last year at a place that did a ****ty job that I would like to correct.

DAREDEVIL
03-05-2010, 06:25 PM
Once my blown motor is finished being rebuilt I am going to dress it up a bit by painting the block, the valve covers, intake and the carbs/ flame arrestors.

Any tips on how to do this? I have never done it before and I want to do it right with the proper materials. I have a full shop and even have a decent paint gun I think.

The boat is black and I am thinking of a red and black colour scheme for the engine itself.

I also want to paint my gil manifolds and exit pipes which were powdercoated last year at a place that did a ****ty job that I would like to correct.

I would not paint the carb,,,and the valve covers ..i would powdercoat!!:cheers2:

fever 38
03-05-2010, 07:50 PM
self etching primer and imeron paint.:cheers2: comes out great

wayne272
03-06-2010, 09:04 PM

What color is it that you used? Looks just like the merc blue.

Buoy
03-07-2010, 02:03 AM

WOW!!! that looks great!!!

Not to be a dick, but, as long as you went that far, please tell me you are doing something with the water pump. Everything else on the motor looks immaculate, but that water pump is standing out. I even like it black, but a better finish is needed.

(and this is coming from a guy just trying to get his boat back in the water for two years).

Ratickle
03-07-2010, 10:52 AM

Nice job.

Water pump look is really special though......:sifone:

Anyway, a really sweet looking engine.

fever 38
03-07-2010, 01:10 PM
thanks . the paint code matched perfect im planning on putting by passes on but just running out of cash fast. can ad them later.

wayne272
03-09-2010, 08:02 PM
thanks . the paint code matched perfect im planning on putting by passes on but just running out of cash fast. can ad them later.

What was the paint code that you used? Looks great.