PDA

View Full Version : 2006 LLY puddle question

fund razor
03-05-2010, 07:24 AM
I came back from a few days away and found a small (6 inches) puddle under my truck. It was under the block, sort of on the driver's side. Hard to tell what the fluid is when it has comingled with water and blacktop. But it could be diesel.
It had not been leaking.
Before I left for my trip I was running late and had to start the truck, pull it up out of the way, and shut it down. It was only running for a few seconds.

Yesterday I started it and let it run, then drove it. I cleaned up the spot in the driveway and parked the truck again and found no leak.

Is it possible that it dumped a little diesel when I started it but didn't let it run?

Thanks.

Bill
03-05-2010, 08:27 AM
What does it smell like?? LAst October, when I came home from Key West, I had a puddle of fluid under my truck about the same spot you are describing. Turned out, my hydro boost pump had locked up, kept the system pressurized and forced fluid out. Not, the fluid on the ground was not typical PS fluid (red) but that is what it was. Look at your PS resiviour and see if there is any fluid there. There is a TSB for this problem as well...

BUIZILLA
03-05-2010, 09:11 AM
+1 on above comments..

Knot 4 Me
03-05-2010, 09:50 AM
It sounds like it was not engine oil, correct? The oil filter is on the driver's side of the block and with the high oil pressure these motors carry, especially in colder weather, the filters are known to come loose if not properly tightened. Something else to keep in mind even though it sounds as though your fluid leak is not engine oil.

JupiterSunsation
03-05-2010, 10:47 AM
Mine did that when the injectors went bad (GM warranty for injectors is 200K miles on trouble years). The puddle was overflow of the crankcase through the PCV valve. They actually designed the PCV with a drain hose that runs down the front side of the block!
Injectors were leaking diesel into the crankcase (overfilling it) and when parked it would drain out overnight. Diesel forums have a bypass idea that will prevent this from happening but I don't see the benefit, if the truck has a problem fix the problem don't modify the indicator......

fund razor
03-05-2010, 11:02 AM
It sounds like it was not engine oil, correct? The oil filter is on the driver's side of the block and with the high oil pressure these motors carry, especially in colder weather, the filters are known to come loose if not properly tightened. Something else to keep in mind even though it sounds as though your fluid leak is not engine oil.

Wasn't engine oil. Not slick enough.
I guess it didn't smell enough like Kerosene to be diesel fuel. But the color was an dingy yellow, and when water and dish soap hit it, it gelled a little.

fund razor
03-05-2010, 11:04 AM
What does it smell like?? LAst October, when I came home from Key West, I had a puddle of fluid under my truck about the same spot you are describing. Turned out, my hydro boost pump had locked up, kept the system pressurized and forced fluid out. Not, the fluid on the ground was not typical PS fluid (red) but that is what it was. Look at your PS resiviour and see if there is any fluid there. There is a TSB for this problem as well...

I'll look into that. Thanks.

What was the ultimate fix?

fund razor
03-05-2010, 11:05 AM
Mine did that when the injectors went bad (GM warranty for injectors is 200K miles on trouble years). The puddle was overflow of the crankcase through the PCV valve. They actually designed the PCV with a drain hose that runs down the front side of the block!
Injectors were leaking diesel into the crankcase (overfilling it) and when parked it would drain out overnight. Diesel forums have a bypass idea that will prevent this from happening but I don't see the benefit, if the truck has a problem fix the problem don't modify the indicator......

I guess it could have come from the front and leaked a little farther back because of the skid plate.

Knot 4 Me
03-05-2010, 11:05 AM
Wasn't engine oil. Not slick enough.
I guess it didn't smell enough like Kerosene to be diesel fuel. But the color was an dingy yellow, and when water and dish soap hit it, it gelled a little.Sounds more like PS fluid or brake fluid.

BUIZILLA
03-05-2010, 11:06 AM
the hydraboost liquid is yellowish

fund razor
03-05-2010, 11:08 AM
It was yellowish. I soaked some up in a paper towel.

JupiterSunsation
03-05-2010, 11:08 AM
I guess it could have come from the front and leaked a little farther back because of the skid plate.

On mine it collected in the plastic drip pan/plate and overflowed out the back of that. Also had a significant drip-splash under the motor where it flew when driving.

fund razor
03-05-2010, 09:17 PM
I think that it is slightly greenish. It looks like the power steering fluid. It dripped some more.

fund razor
03-05-2010, 09:19 PM
Bill? :o :)

fund razor
03-08-2010, 07:22 AM
It stopped leaking again. Odd.

Bill
03-08-2010, 08:23 AM
I'll look into that. Thanks.

What was the ultimate fix?

remove and replace hydro boost pump

Bill
03-08-2010, 08:26 AM
I think that it is slightly greenish. It looks like the power steering fluid. It dripped some more.

That was the color of mine when it failed. The color threw me. When the hydro boost pump is starting to fail, I was told you can have intermittant problems as you are seeing. Hopefully, this is not your problem, the stealer charged 1000 bucks to replace...

fund razor
03-08-2010, 12:55 PM
Heck, the water pump job was only 800.00 :o

Thanks for the info Bill. I will drill down over on the diesel place and see if I can learn more about potentially troubleshooting the hydro boost pump, where the fluid resevoir is, how (if possible) to check level, etc.

Bill
03-08-2010, 08:19 PM
Heck, the water pump job was only 800.00 :o

Thanks for the info Bill. I will drill down over on the diesel place and see if I can learn more about potentially troubleshooting the hydro boost pump, where the fluid resevoir is, how (if possible) to check level, etc.

The resv. for the pS pump is just like a gasser, twist off the cap and look at the stick...oddly enough, I had a river of fluid on the floor when the hydroboost pump wentm fluid all around the PS resv. cap, but the fluid in the resv. was not low. This is my main ***** with GM or these trucks...in the past 2 years and 6000 miles, I have had to replace a steering gear box, PS pump, hysro boost pump, control arms tie rods, tranny cooler lines, intermidiate shafts, EGR valve...and I know I am forgetting stuff...all on a 4 year old truck with just under 30K on the ticker. My truck has NEVER been off road and I am the origonal owner...It is a good thing I love the Dmax/Allison and the fact the truck is just about paid for...at least I have a relatively new front end!!!!:rolleyes::driving::USA: I really hope I am done with the repairs on this thing....

fund razor
03-09-2010, 10:10 AM
I checked out the res, it was down slightly. (It leaked again.) :(

So, does the sticking valve in the pump force the ps fluid out the cap of the res?

I am thinking that a service manual for this vehicle would be a good idea. :o
I'd take it to the stealership if I had any confidence whatsoever that they would actually fix it any better than I would, and I'm about one step above ignorant on this new truck. :)

sledge
03-09-2010, 12:04 PM
Did you find this article?
http://www.brakeandfrontend.com/Article/38431/operation_diagnosis_and_repair_of_hydroboost_power_assist_systems.aspx

Not sure if it will help, but it seems chock full of info.

Low miles, cold weather, irregular use...probably leaky seal allowing accumulator to bleed out.

fund razor
03-09-2010, 12:14 PM
Did you find this article?
http://www.brakeandfrontend.com/Article/38431/operation_diagnosis_and_repair_of_hydroboost_power_assist_systems.aspx

Not sure if it will help, but it seems chock full of info.
Low miles, cold weather, irregular use...probably leaky seal allowing accumulator to bleed out.

Raised my understanding on the subject considerably. Thank you. :cheers2:

Bill
03-09-2010, 07:35 PM
[QUOTE=fund razor;454268]I checked out the res, it was down slightly. (It leaked again.) :(

So, does the sticking valve in the pump force the ps fluid out the cap of the res?

QUOTE]

That is what happened with mine. Mine happened in October when I was in Key West. Came home and not only did I have a river of fluid on my floor to the floor drain, but it stuck with power too it for long enough, it killed both batteries!! Truck had to be put on a flatbed and taken to the dealer...I was a bit pissed!!!! lol Basically, the pump keeps the system pressurized and by not applying the brakes or steering pressure keeps building...

fund razor
03-13-2010, 11:28 AM
I watched it, and found some more ps fluid on the ground. But, the cap and the area below and around the cap are all dry. I wonder if I have a different breach in the ps system? I also left it sit all week without starting it, and I had lost no volts.