PDA

View Full Version : Question for the 1911 gurus.

buck
03-05-2010, 12:39 AM
I have zero experience or knowledge about anything 1911 related. To be honest, I've never even shot one.

I have been approached about purchasing a Para Ordnance SF-45 1911. Buddy of mine ended up ordering one through his store many moons ago. He had pretty much forgotten about ordering it meanwhile picking up a Kimber Pro with Crimson Trace grips. The Para came in unexpectedly this week. He has offered it to me prior to putting out in the case.

The only info I have is what I've briefly read in an hour or so on the internet. I need to know if this is a good brand to purchase. Are there known problems with this gun?

I've been around 9's, 10's, and 40's enough to make an educated decision. I am clueless when it comes to this model of firearm.

Apparently it's a coyote tan or desert tan sort of color. Been thinking recently about adding an auto pistol to my arsenal and figured this may be something that will tickle my pickle so to speak. The price of $800 has been thrown at me with the indication that this is his cost.

Let me have it...

Chris
03-05-2010, 08:49 AM
I believe the SF 45 was a custom piece put together in a group buy for Special Forces soldiers. It was a non-mil build- done privately and individually. It would be a collector's item. The thing is, most firearms aren't a great investment. The vast majority don't appreciate and are lucky to keep pace with inflation. I don't collect things- if I don't use it, it goes. Maybe you're different. But as a shooter, that would diminish its value and the Para's just aren't that great of shooters. They have a funky extractor and can be ammo sensitive. That's another deal-breaker. If it aggravates me, I'm out. There are way too many properly functioning pieces out there for me to deal with anything that's finicky.

If you like collectibles, not bad. But definitely a lower-level collectible with limited appeal. if you just want to flip it- maybe. But you may sit on it a while. If you're hitting 3 gun shows a month, you might make a couple bucks on it. If you want a shooter, there are dozens of better possibilities out there in auto pistols.

Trim'd Up
03-05-2010, 09:57 AM
Not all of the Para's have the "Power X-tractor" or whatever it's called. I have a friend that is in love with Para's, I think he has 3 now. I have only shot one of them, but it shot pretty damn well and never malfuntioned. From what I have seen, they are not in the same league as Kimber, Springfield, Colt etc. as far as fit, trigger pull, and finishing. Supposedly their customer service is very good so I wouldn't be afraid to buy onefor the right price, but not for an investment. They don't hold their value as well as the other 1911's out there.

For under $800 you could get a Kimber custom II or a Springfield Loaded and have a better pistol in my opinion.

buck
03-05-2010, 09:59 AM
Thank you. That was the kind of info I was looking for.

All of my firearms have a purpose. Most of them are sporting related. If it won't get any use I don't purchase it.

I believe the info you gave about being built for Special Forces to be true also. The story I got was that one of the employees had ordered it with the intent of having his unit info imprinted on this gun. My friend wanted it just to have I guess. For some reason the deal fell through when it came to getting the military info put on the gun therefore the gun came in with no insignia on it.

Given what you've told me Chris I'll pass. My guns get shot, I like them to be accurate and reliable, and I have better things to "invest" money in for a return.

Thank you for the reply...

Buck

Chris
03-05-2010, 11:40 AM
When in doubt, buy an HK. :)

Hilltop Kyle
03-10-2010, 01:58 PM
When in doubt, buy an HK. :)

What he said :iagree:

getchasum111
03-10-2010, 02:33 PM
i had a para p-10 sub-compact 45...it was a nice gun...very compact 10 shot 45...but not worth $800...had a problem with the finish flaking off on a kimber...loved all the colt 45's...HK is a very nice gun...but never owned one...

getchasum111
03-10-2010, 02:37 PM
What he said :iagree:

what's up Kyle....i'm looking to get out of my cat and into something like a 33 to 38 vee....i'm in Hilton Head Sc. now and need something bigger....no trade...around $100k...i was in Somerset a few weeks ago and stopped by LCM....no inventory...looked funny to me...pm me if you have anything like what i'm looking for....

Knot 4 Me
03-10-2010, 02:59 PM
what's up Kyle....i'm looking to get out of my cat and into something like a 33 to 38 vee....i'm in Hilton Head Sc. now and need something bigger....no trade...around $100k...i was in Somerset a few weeks ago and stopped by LCM....no inventory...looked funny to me...pm me if you have anything like what i'm looking for....Kyle is the man. Nobody holds isenglass in one hand and a rum runner in the other in a hailstorm like Kyle! :cheers2:

Hilltop Kyle
03-10-2010, 04:16 PM
Kyle is the man. Nobody holds isenglass in one hand and a rum runner in the other in a hailstorm like Kyle! :cheers2:

I've got skills what can I say...:cheers2:

I hope to make a return to LOTO this summer. I haven't been caught in any good storms lately...

Trim'd Up
03-10-2010, 09:16 PM
Don't get me wrong, I love my HK. But I sure don't shoot it as well as I do a good 1911.

gerritm
03-25-2010, 03:41 PM
I have a Kimber Ultra compact II in .45 with a 3 inch barrel. This is my carry gun. I can shoot a 3 inch circle (sometimes) at 20 yards with this gun. One of the most accurate small guns I have ever shot. Try that with any other 3" revolver or auto. It is a little ammo sensitive in the type of HP's you shoot. It shoots 185 gr or 200 gr HP's better than the 230gr. It shoots 230gr FMJ's just fine. I paid less than $800 for it. One of my favorite guns.

Chris
03-25-2010, 04:40 PM
Don't get me wrong, I love my HK. But I sure don't shoot it as well as I do a good 1911.

I guess everyone is different. I don't shoot the Glock all that well myself.

What HK's have you shot? I've never seen anyone not astonished at how well they shoot a P7

gerritm
03-26-2010, 08:03 AM

What HK's have you shot? I've never seen anyone not astonished at how well they shoot a P7

My son has a Glock 23 in .40 and I can't hit anything with it. He shoots it very well. My HK is very accurate, but I never shot it well and sold it to a buddy who loves it. I seem to shoot 1911 style pistols the best. Every one is different in what feels right and shoots well for them. The Kimber feels right. It is important for the gun to fit and feel right, not so much the brand. Most good quality pistols are accurate.

Trim'd Up
03-26-2010, 10:07 AM

I am not a glock fan either. They just feel unbalanced and blocky and I never could shoot them that well. I have a USP-40 in two tone and have shot a mark 23. Don't get me wrong they both shoot really well but I just don't shoot them as well as the kimber I recently bought or my springer especially at 20 yards plus. Tell you the truth I am not a huge fan of polymer guns in general. 1911's are iconic and feel like an extension of your hand.

The USP on the other hand never has failed and I think you could hide it the brine tank of a water softener for a year and it wouldn't have a speck of rust.

bulletbob
03-26-2010, 11:13 AM
I was a 1911 purest until I got my Glock 30. I was a "No plastic gun" man until. The Glock 30 is my carry piece. I still love my 1911's though. Lub my H&Ks' also.