PDA

View Full Version : intermediate steering shaft

sweet addiction
03-04-2010, 02:41 PM
So I replaced it and I got rid of the bump noise, but I also have a rattle under the dash. When I was changing the intermediate shaft I notice the other shaft runs up through the dash through this white collar or bushing. I was not sure if it is worn or if that is the problem. I have not had much more time to work on it. It is only real bad when I go into a turn and the truck kind of bounces. But it is annoying. Anyone have any suggestions as to what is up under the dash that needs to be fixed? Also during the same time I think my brake pedal bounces and rattles. I have not looked at it yet just thought some of you guys could give me some info.

sweet addiction
03-04-2010, 02:42 PM
Oh it is a 2005 2500 HD 2wd.

Griswald
03-04-2010, 08:02 PM
dieselplace.com says you can put a 2"(?) muffler clamp around that plastic bushing and the noise goes away.

My clatters like crazy and have gotten used to it. That, and the replacement shaft are low on the list of my things to do.

inbetween
03-04-2010, 11:27 PM
A temporary fix for the intermediate shaft rattle if you don't want to replace it:

Disconnect the shaft under the hood (the 15mm headed bolt) and slide the 2 shafts apart. Do not spin the upper shaft, this may damage some steering column components. Take the upper shaft and push it in towards the cab, then pull it out again, repeat a couple of times. This redistributes the little bit of lube in the shaft. Reconnect the shaft. This should quiet or eliminate the noise for awhile. Can be done multiple times as the need arises. :driving:

The fix for the lower column bushing/bearing rattle is to replace that plastic bushing. I think the GM part name is bearing. I haven't tried the clamp idea, but sounds like it may be worth a try, just don't clamp too tight.

Is there a need for a disclaimer? :smash: Most of us are intelligent and realize that the steering system is important to safe vehicle operation. Please be careful!

Airpacker
03-05-2010, 09:27 AM
A temporary fix for the intermediate shaft rattle if you don't want to replace it:

Disconnect the shaft under the hood (the 15mm headed bolt) and slide the 2 shafts apart. Do not spin the upper shaft, this may damage some steering column components.

ALWAYS lock the steering wheel when disconnecting the column from the box. Unintended rotation of the upper shaft can break the "clock spring assembly" which is the wiring between column and steering wheel for the air bag system.
It is very fragile and can be damaged quite easily.

JupiterSunsation
03-06-2010, 11:06 AM
Whatever fix GM is doing now for this issue is great, 75K miles on the fix now and no more clunking.....

inbetween
03-06-2010, 12:30 PM
ALWAYS lock the steering wheel when disconnecting the column from the box. Unintended rotation of the upper shaft can break the "clock spring assembly" which is the wiring between column and steering wheel for the air bag system.

GREAT advice! Thanks.

sweet addiction
03-06-2010, 07:22 PM
Went to the GM dealer and in the plastic bushing he said there was a bearing. for $33.00 I thought I would try it. I pick it up Monday and may not have time to replace on Monday. I will let you guys know how it works out. If this does not work I will try the hose clamp method. Thanks for all the info. :cheers2:

sweet addiction
03-06-2010, 07:23 PM
The shaft is pretty easy to do. Remove the fender skirt and it is all right there easy to get to.

dieselplace.com says you can put a 2"(?) muffler clamp around that plastic bushing and the noise goes away.

My clatters like crazy and have gotten used to it. That, and the replacement shaft are low on the list of my things to do.

sweet addiction
03-06-2010, 07:24 PM
For some reason mine does not lock but I just hold the shaft and don't touch the wheel when working on it.

sweet addiction
03-11-2010, 09:55 PM
Here is the problem. I replaced mine and it is great now!! I guess maybe if it starts again I will try the hose clamp method.

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x129/TeamSlider_photos/Trucks/DSC02088.jpg

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x129/TeamSlider_photos/Trucks/DSC02089.jpg