PDA

View Full Version : Chevelle Nascar Project

pullmytrigger
03-04-2010, 01:31 AM
Kind of a continuance from the other site......in short a couple yrs back I went to Mooresville NC and bought this 1999 Hutch Pagan ex Cup/Arca car....I also bought this Chevelle with the idea of putting the two together and making a track day/ quasi legal street car...been wanting to it for yrs actually.

pullmytrigger
03-04-2010, 01:42 AM
been staring at it long enough....time to get at it.....pulled the sheet metal off the race car, see how the body is held up with "sticks" as my wife calls them.....I'll leave them and attach the body of the Chevelle the same way....the cars are VERY close in almost evry dimension you can imagine.....I'll have to remove the door bars for clearence because I want doors that actually open.....I'll end up with a Pro Street type door bar set up

pullmytrigger
03-04-2010, 01:48 AM
built this frame out of wood to lift the body of the Chevelle off its frame and up and down over the racecar for fitting.

pullmytrigger
03-04-2010, 01:53 AM
sold the rolling frame of the Chevelle in one afternoon for $700....12 bolt posi, disc brake front end

pullmytrigger
03-04-2010, 02:01 AM
tonight was a pretty monumental night actually.....got the doors reinforced and cut the old floor out of the Chevelle.....pics are smokey....had to do some of the work with a torch (80% done with a sawsall) and a bunch of tar undercoating caught on fire a couple of times.....had a pretty good fire going one time

pullmytrigger
03-04-2010, 02:07 AM
and dropped the body over the racecar......wouldnt go all the way I have hours of trimming to do......firewall, rear wheel houses etc.....I want to leave the stock mount for the wiper motor if I can though.

rschap1
03-04-2010, 08:00 AM
COOL
Hot Rod did an older ElCamino with a little less sever set up a year ago or so

rchevelle71
03-04-2010, 08:38 AM
Cool Project, But why trash a chevelle for it:(

Trim'd Up
03-04-2010, 10:09 AM
Very cool. Those brake pads should last about 4 lifetimes on the street. :D

pullmytrigger
03-04-2010, 10:29 AM
Cool Project, But why trash a chevelle for it:(

trash????......#1 the car is a 307 powerglide car.....nothing special.....the guy I bought it off said it used to have a big block in it so he prob swapped in the 12 bolt.....I wouldn't do that to a real SS.

#2 when I bought it the car it had no motor, trans, drive shaft, interior of any kind incl the headliner,wiring of ANY kind, steering column, instrument cluster, master cyl, grille/headlights, hood, inner front fenders, battery box and I could have kicked most of the entire floor out of it....but the rockers are good and its had new quarters and all the glass is there.....buddy, don't get all purist on me I'm saving this car from rotting into the ground.....it had sat in the guys shed for over 10 yrs and nobody wanted it, too much work to put it back to stock. ( no kidding!!)....and there's TONS of them around, there's prob 30 on ebay at any given time alone, 12 mos a year....its not a ZL-1 Camaro.

The inspiration came from growing up going to stock car races where the whole Late Model field was 68 - 72 Chevelles....a nasty small block, all lowered with huge slicks on all four they looked awesome.....always been a fan.

rchevelle71
03-04-2010, 10:58 AM
Not being purist, maybe trash is a little too harsh a word this early in the morning? Car looked salvagable to me?? If it has good rockers, chances are the rest of the car was salvagable also. Like I said it is a cool project, and I agree on the late model field thing. I agree a 307 powergide car is no prize possesion, but my 71 was no SS car either, started life as a 350 Malibu, TH350, 10 bolt one legger, ended up with a 383 stoker, and 12 bolt 4:55 Posi, just a fun street rod. Of course, some of my resentment stems from me having to sell mine before I quite finished it, and I have been kickin myself in the azz ever since, I just hate to see these cars cut up. One of these days I will have another, just dont have the room to restore one right now, or the $$ to buy one done.

Chris
03-04-2010, 11:18 AM
Very cool. Those brake pads should last about 4 lifetimes on the street. :D

If you use the brake pads that come with it, that lifetime may be about 50 feet. I learned that years ago- race pads need to be heated. I almost killed myself. :eek:

Very cool project.

Dude! Sweet!
03-04-2010, 02:04 PM
Very nice. Can't wait to see it done. I've got some options I'm mulling over on my '68 Camaro right now, but need to get through the boat projects first. Might go with a full tube chassis on the car as well.

My '68 is a northeastern car too (even though I realize you're a southerner where you're from, PMT). So the car needs cut up one way or another. Just a matter of whether I weld in Chinese made stock floor pans or go with steel tube and aluminum.

On the up side, these cars live to fight another day. Unlike the thousands of cars that are rotting away in fields and barns either forgotten or "not for sale because they're gonna be fixed some day".

pullmytrigger
03-04-2010, 02:38 PM
, just a fun street rod.

trust me this car will be FUN......!!!!

Man youd be a fool to bring this car back to stock.....youd have a PILE of work and prob 50g's in it and would still be only able to get 30k out of it because its not a high option SS......Now the guy I bought it off also has a 70SS Chevelle 454 325hp 400 auto red on black A/C car ALL THERE! with about a half inch of dust on it and faded paint...now THAT would be something to have....along with a 70 big block auto El Camino and a 69 small b El Camino......both well worth going after.

pullmytrigger
03-04-2010, 02:58 PM
With the door bars cut out you can see how the racecar still has a conventional floor pan....thats the mechanical brake bias adjuster sitting on the trans tunnel...I'll mount that on the dash somewhere..... with the nice straight outside frame rails I'll just weld the body right to the chassis....no more body on frame.

These things are simply wiped down after construction and painted, no primer so paint just falls off them.....lots of unpainted metal all over the car...easily rusts....

pullmytrigger
03-04-2010, 03:02 PM
rear end cooler stll all there.....the hose would go to a Naca duct in the rear quarter window

pullmytrigger
03-04-2010, 03:10 PM
Dry Sump tank still there with lines and 110 volt heater mounted right behind the driver.....was still full of oil.....more bare metal......if I use it I'll move it to the trunk on the right side in Cup road race fashion....

rchevelle71
03-04-2010, 04:29 PM
trust me this car will be FUN......!!!!

Man youd be a fool to bring this car back to stock.....youd have a PILE of work and prob 50g's in it and would still be only able to get 30k out of it because its not a high option SS.......

Guess your right, when i started mine it was 13 years ago(man time flies), and I had a bunch of friends in the hot rod business that helped out, so it really didnt cost all that much, but if I were to do it now it would be different.

Now the guy I bought it off also has a 70SS Chevelle 325hp 400 auto red on black A/C car ALL THERE! with about a half inch of dust on it and faded paint...now THAT would be something to have....along with a 70 big block auto El Camino and a 69 small b El Camino......both well worth going after.

:drool5::drool5::drool5::drool5::drool5::drool5::drool5:

pullmytrigger
03-05-2010, 11:34 AM
this is the stance Im looking for.....except a Chevelle obviously.....prob black with chrome wheels.

pullmytrigger
03-09-2010, 02:00 PM
drove 1hr last Sat and scored these fiberglass bumpers, glass front fenders and trim pieces from a drag guy who is not using them.....all driver quality stuff which is fine with me but the fenders are really good .....$350.....Im happy with that!

pullmytrigger
03-09-2010, 02:20 PM
worked the rest of Sat and all Sunday.....the thing is coming down.....this is where Im at now......the inside of the rocker just SKINS the outside of the frame rail like it was made for it......

I left a one inch lip on the outer edge of the floor and I'll weld that lip directly to the frame rail.....the bottom of the rocker has to come down even with the bottom of the framerail then the lip will touch so the body has to come down about another 4" from here....

I'll cut the fener lips out, section the fender as required then re attach the fender lip for a "stock" appearence....I did that on my other Chevelle (notice I dont say "Velle" I hate that!!!!") and it looked great...something was different in the stance but with the stock lips still in place it was hard to tell...

pullmytrigger
03-09-2010, 02:26 PM
trunk fits amazing.....

pullmytrigger
03-09-2010, 02:35 PM
Was going to go with the race car dash but it turns out I will be able to retain the stock dash.....this will be a little more original looking but in the big picture keep that VIN in place in the stock location by the left front A pillar.....

I'll have to cut out the rest of the glove box surround to get the body down but if I make the cuts underneath where the dash pad sits it will cover the welds......however youll probably just see that crossbrace when you open the glove box LOL.....I'll make a custom cluster with Autometer gauges.....removed the race car dash....good triangulation up up front eh!

pullmytrigger
03-09-2010, 02:43 PM
Firewall...its hard to see the the stock Chevelle firewall is about 4" farther forward than the race cars.....the top line of the shaded area is the bottom of the wiper well which I desperately want to keep along with the orig wiper motor mount.....the shaded area will be cut out

pullmytrigger
03-09-2010, 02:52 PM
my buddies all want me to put the roof flaps on.....I could as the mounts on the top of the roll cage are still there.....what do you guys think????......with them in the roof would leak though.....Id have to come up with something....

pullmytrigger
03-09-2010, 02:56 PM
Very cool project.

thanks!

pullmytrigger
03-09-2010, 02:59 PM
Very nice. Can't wait to see it done. I've got some options I'm mulling over on my '68 Camaro right now, but need to get through the boat projects first. Might go with a full tube chassis on the car as well.

get at 'er......

On the up side, these cars live to fight another day. Unlike the thousands of cars that are rotting away in fields and barns either forgotten or "not for sale because they're gonna be fixed some day".

so true...the car sat for years....

Trim'd Up
03-09-2010, 03:05 PM
Are you putting all of the glass back in? I would skip the roof flaps especially if they are going to leak everytime you wash the car or if you get stuck in the rain with it.

rchevelle71
03-09-2010, 03:17 PM
my buddies all want me to put the roof flaps on.....I could as the mounts on the top of the roll cage are still there.....what do you guys think????......with them in the roof would leak though.....Id have to come up with something....

Could the flaps be put back as a cosmetic thing rather than functional, and just seal the boxes off??

cosmic12
03-09-2010, 03:47 PM
Very cool!!!! I like it!!!:driving:

Great idea on the body lift, I might have to steal that idea:rolleyes: If I can ever get back to my Puzzle:smash:

imco offshore
03-09-2010, 05:17 PM
cosmic ,,,where is the rat ??

cosmic12
03-10-2010, 07:14 AM
cosmic ,,,where is the rat ??

Its home, I'm in Baltimore, Going home this afternoon and will get to work ASAP.

OK, Wheres that Hudson?:cheers2:

pullmytrigger
03-10-2010, 10:21 AM
Are you putting all of the glass back in? I would skip the roof flaps especially if they are going to leak everytime you wash the car or if you get stuck in the rain with it.

Oh yeah Im putting all the glass back in.....possibly a Lexan rear window.....I was looking last night the roof flaps are doable.....Im on the fence with it but leaning towards yes.....the only thing they might be a little over the top if you got pulled over by a Cop.....

pullmytrigger
03-20-2010, 04:21 PM
I got bigger fish to fry than the roof flaps right now.....the firewall in the race car (along with the engine) is about 4 to 6" further back in the frame than the stock Chevelle althoug the wheelbases are within an inch....so had to lose the stock wiper mount which is a drag but a street rod guy who came over said you could easily adapt a more compact street rod wiper motor to the stock wiper arm assy......

debating what to do with the front fender mounts.....keep the stock mounts and remove the structure below which would be the ez way (because its already there) and insure a pefect fender fit every time or remove all that (unessesay) structure and build a bracket that connects to the race car tubing beside it....havnt done anything just been letting it digest for the last week........I think I'll try and keep the stock mounts and reinforce underneath.....

body still needs to come down another 4"......will have to reove the last bit of the stock wheel wells.....by the time Im done the top of the race car wheel tubs will hit the bottom of the rear package shelf....I'll get at all that tomorrow

pullmytrigger
04-24-2010, 07:12 PM
some up dates.....been working hard to get the body down on the frame ..... I'll have to do a little trimming and this and that but this is basically it so I rolled it out for some pics.....

with the oval track set up in the car the left side wheelbase is 1.5 " shorter than the right side so the LF fender wouldnt fit.....the next order of bidness will be taking it to Peter Gibbon's race shop (20 mi away) and have him put a roadrace set up in the front of the car .....he will probably leave the RF (right front) alone and make the LF mirror it....

Slick02
04-27-2010, 02:38 PM
Very cool, early/mid seventies short track style..

pullmytrigger
04-28-2010, 07:22 PM
Very cool, early/mid seventies short track style..

You hit it.....right on the head!......you were there!

I remember going to short track races in that time period....little 1/4 mi, 1/2 mi bullrings and the whole Late model field was 68-72 Chevelle's!.....LOVED it!.....this car is a tribute to that era

Dude! Sweet!
04-30-2010, 01:48 AM
Here I am! Can't send PMs from my blackbeery. Car looks AWESOME!

I'm picking up a little project tomorrow. I'll post when I get it.

Haven't been on line much because work has been nuts. Glad you sent me the message or I might have missed this. Freaking love it!

pullmytrigger
04-30-2010, 11:32 AM
Here I am! Can't send PMs from my blackbeery. Car looks AWESOME!

I'm picking up a little project tomorrow. I'll post when I get it.

Haven't been on line much because work has been nuts. Glad you sent me the message or I might have missed this. Freaking love it!

hey, were leaving for Cali on May 7th...were going to be in your area

Dude! Sweet!
05-03-2010, 11:00 AM
Right on. Just sent you a PM with my info. Looking forward to catching up when you're out here.

"Little project" turned out to be "big project" so I left it where I found it. So it goes!

Dude! Sweet!
05-03-2010, 11:06 AM
You hit it.....right on the head!......you were there!

I remember going to short track races in that time period....little 1/4 mi, 1/2 mi bullrings and the whole Late model field was 68-72 Chevelle's!.....LOVED it!.....this car is a tribute to that era

I always liked the Chevelle bodied cars. The farm I worked on ran a '71/'72 Monte at Spencer Speedway (east of Rochester NY) in '84 - '86 time frame. My job was to carry crap to - from the truck and to cut off damaged body work and replace it with stuff I air-chiselled off of the 5 or so parts cars that were sitting out behind the shop. Ah... Glory days! :sifone: