PDA

View Full Version : biggest hp on a naturally aspirated motor?

viperfitness1
11-20-2008, 08:00 PM
what naturally aspirated engine builds the most amount of horse power ???

MOBILEMERCMAN
11-20-2008, 09:19 PM
Andy
I seem to remember a 700ci, 1000 hp with a Donavan sheet metal tunnel ram.
Ed

Dennis Ferrara built some all aluminum 700ci motors. Lilly had a 36 Fountain with a pair of 900 hp as I remember. It had the tunnel ram like you said. They were the loudest motors I have ever heard. You could hear it coming some 5 miles away. It must have been around '89 or '90.

Velocity Kid
11-20-2008, 10:40 PM
what naturally aspirated engine builds the most amount of horse power ??? Good engine builder can make any engine type make big hp. Friend of mind had Sonny Lenord build him a 1240hp 765 ci Single Carb motor for his boat. No power adders just one huged Holley dominator.

ROGUE
11-21-2008, 01:19 PM
Cubic inches, high compression and high octane to keep it alive.

PatriYacht
11-21-2008, 03:47 PM
http://www.sonnysracingengines.com/ My first post, woo hoo! :26:

ar15meister
11-21-2008, 04:04 PM
tunnel ram motors look cool...I got one!

OldSchool
11-21-2008, 04:32 PM
YEEEEEOWZAAA!!!!! 2200HP with no blower!!

http://www.sonnysracingengines.com/sar932.html

HaxbySpeed
11-23-2008, 02:07 PM
I'm in Vegas at the street car supernationals. I was standing next to one of those engines yesterday talking to Sonny, and Frank Tamez who owns the car, while it was idling away in the pits. It sounded like a mild 540 just purring away... While we're tearing everything down and trying to keep ours alive for another round, those guys are just flippin burgers.. And it runs 6.40's :drool5:

viperfitness1
11-23-2008, 07:23 PM
has anyone ever used his engines to race a boat??

Velocity Kid
11-23-2008, 09:46 PM
has anyone ever used his engines to race a boat??Yes there been alot over the years

Ratickle
11-23-2008, 10:32 PM
http://www.sonnysracingengines.com/ My first post, woo hoo! :26:

Bout time, Ian. Welcome.:)

RumRunner
11-24-2008, 09:22 AM
has anyone ever used his engines to race a boat??

NO... The 892" Hemi is a brand new 5.30" bore spacing engine from Sonny. They have NOT been in any boats yet. He has done a number of 5.0" bore center engines for boats, but none of the big stuff yet.

boostbros
11-24-2008, 10:32 AM
Well heres my vote for the best hmmmm what is that saying whats old is new again? if you think 700-800 cubic inch is huge take a look at this and remember this was way before computer enginering http://www.aviation-history.com/engines/xr-7755.html

RumRunner
11-24-2008, 03:01 PM
Well heres my vote for the best hmmmm what is that saying whats old is new again? if you think 700-800 cubic inch is huge take a look at this and remember this was way before computer enginering http://www.aviation-history.com/engines/xr-7755.html

Think about it, we made it to the moon and back with less computer power than in most cell phones today. People have forgotten how to use a paper and pencil, and a slide rule.

boostbros
11-24-2008, 03:36 PM
i don,t care how you slice it 7500 cubic inches it just awesome a pair of those puppies would make a TRUE thunderboat

Mrhorsepower1
11-25-2008, 08:27 AM
NO... The 892" Hemi is a brand new 5.30" bore spacing engine from Sonny. They have NOT been in any boats yet. He has done a number of 5.0" bore center engines for boats, but none of the big stuff yet.

I speak with Sonny very often. We have been discussing a Hemi project which will be marketed and built by myself using his block, crank, heads, valve train , and intake manifold. :sifone:

PatriYacht
11-25-2008, 09:43 AM
Does anyone know if the Torque V-12 will ever be produced again? Seemed like a great idea using mostly Chevy big block type parts, just more of them.

PatriYacht
11-25-2008, 09:48 AM
That Sonny's engine is amazing. Spinning over 8000 rpm with a 5.75 stroke. I wonder how long the rods are? Thats 2 inches more stroke than a 427.

RumRunner
11-25-2008, 05:23 PM
I speak with Sonny very often. We have been discussing a Hemi project which will be marketed and built by myself using his block, crank, heads, valve train , and intake manifold. :sifone:

I'm sorry to hear that:sifone:

Actually the old man and I talk A LOT... You need his cell phone number???

They Ran one of the 892" engines in a Top Sportsman Car with a Turbo 400 in Vegas last weekend. Went 6.37 @ 217 with a bunch left in it. I'll look at the RacePak data and see what it's got left.

Which intake are you going to use with it?

Mrhorsepower1
11-25-2008, 06:52 PM

They Ran one of the 892" engines in a Top Sportsman Car with a Turbo 400 in Vegas last weekend. Went 6.37 @ 217 with a bunch left in it. I'll look at the RacePak data and see what it's got left.

I have his cell Doug.

RumRunner
11-25-2008, 06:57 PM
I have his cell Doug.

Good tell that Goat Roper he owe me a Drink :biggrinjester:

You coming down to PRI?

HaxbySpeed
11-26-2008, 12:39 AM

There was some decent money on the line for ProStreet this weekend and Frank flew Sonny in to tune every last bit out of his package. It is a very impressive piece to say the least, but thinking there is a bunch left is a bit optomistic. Unfortunately he was asleep on the tree and went out that round to a slower car.. :driving:

Mrhorsepower1
11-26-2008, 08:14 AM
Good tell that Goat Roper he owe me a Drink :biggrinjester:

You coming down to PRI?

I should be able to make it, I have a lot happening!

RumRunner
11-26-2008, 09:05 AM
There was some decent money on the line for ProStreet this weekend and Frank flew Sonny in to tune every last bit out of his package. It is a very impressive piece to say the least, but thinking there is a bunch left is a bit optomistic. Unfortunately he was asleep on the tree and went out that round to a slower car.. :driving:

Being that tuning race engines is what I do for a living, and knowing where the tune-up is, there is still a bunch left. Now you have to remember a "Bunch" is different in everyone's world depend on how closely you're tuning.

RumRunner
11-26-2008, 09:05 AM
I should be able to make it, I have a lot happening!

Stop by and check out some of my new 500" stuff....

Griswald
11-26-2008, 09:54 AM
Where was this race? What this PSCA?

RumRunner
11-26-2008, 09:56 AM
Las Vegas..

Velocity Kid
11-26-2008, 12:10 PM

Which intake are you going to use with it?Now just think there are some good 700+ ci. nitrous cars that can't go that fast. I think in the next 2 years we will see a carberator motor going 6'0s maybe sooner

RumRunner
11-26-2008, 12:15 PM
Now just think there are some good 700+ ci. nitrous cars that can't go that fast. I think in the next 2 years we will see a carberator motor going 6'0s maybe sooner

Heck we've been 5.96 @ 240 with Carburetors :biggrinjester:

Velocity Kid
11-26-2008, 12:21 PM
Heck we've been 5.96 @ 240 with Carburetors :biggrinjester:
Im talking door car no nitrous on race gas. Like a IHRA Pro Stock

RumRunner
11-26-2008, 12:41 PM
Im talking door car no nitrous on race gas. Like a IHRA Pro Stock

We've got the P/S record at 6.251 right now. With the weight, and engine rules you're not going to see much quicker than low 20's in a Mountain Motor car any time soon. BUT... There is a Ness car being built right now for PSCA that is going to be light that has the first 892" that Sonny built. Based on the numbers, if Don can get the car the right weight it will be able to run low 6.0's if not quicker...

HaxbySpeed
11-26-2008, 12:57 PM
Being that tuning race engines is what I do for a living, and knowing where the tune-up is, there is still a bunch left. Now you have to remember a "Bunch" is different in everyone's world depend on how closely you're tuning.

I hear ya, they did pick up almost a tenth from qualifying, which is a bunch in anybody's world, and are still working the bugs out on the car. The 6.38 pass was at 2800' dens altitude with about 91.3 ADR. If they can find a half a tenth in tuning and run that thing at a sea level track it'll probably find it's way into the twenties. I'm just jealous cause we need 800hp of nitrous to run in the fifties.. :boxing_smiley: :drool5:

Velocity Kid
11-26-2008, 03:25 PM
We've got the P/S record at 6.251 right now. With the weight, and engine rules you're not going to see much quicker than low 20's in a Mountain Motor car any time soon. BUT... There is a Ness car being built right now for PSCA that is going to be light that has the first 892" that Sonny built. Based on the numbers, if Don can get the car the right weight it will be able to run low 6.0's if not quicker...That's what I'm talking about 6.0's keep us posted on that deal. That will be the shot heard around the world. You know times he gets his deal done, Sonny may have found more power in that hemi combo.

Velocity Kid
11-26-2008, 03:29 PM
With door cars going that fast why even have a nitrous car. The Nitrous guys are still behind. Hmmm I wonder if Sonny is going to try to run nitrous on that hemi combo and shoot for 3000 hp. That would be another mild stone

RumRunner
11-26-2008, 03:35 PM
With door cars going that fast why even have a nitrous car. The Nitrous guys are still behind. Hmmm I wonder if Sonny is going to try to run nitrous on that hemi combo and shoot for 3000 hp. That would be another mild stone

The combunstion chamber in the SEMI-Hemi isn't really good for Nitrous too much quench area, and can cause detonation problems. The other problem is for the Big Nitrous engines is that the engine is heavy. He's working on a wedge head right now with the 5.30" Bore center that should be a pretty good deal on Nitrous.

3 Tenths is about what you'll get going to a Nitrous engine from a killer P/S engine. We can run mid 20's with a P/S engine, and we can do mid 90's with the Nitrous stuff. Both legal, so light weight you're looking at high 80's on a Nitrous car, and high teens for a P/S in killer air. Now go to the big engine, which knowing where the power curve is on it we should be OK :drool5:

Velocity Kid
11-26-2008, 07:13 PM
The combunstion chamber in the SEMI-Hemi isn't really good for Nitrous too much quench area, and can cause detonation problems. The other problem is for the Big Nitrous engines is that the engine is heavy. He's working on a wedge head right now with the 5.30" Bore center that should be a pretty good deal on Nitrous.

3 Tenths is about what you'll get going to a Nitrous engine from a killer P/S engine. We can run mid 20's with a P/S engine, and we can do mid 90's with the Nitrous stuff. Both legal, so light weight you're looking at high 80's on a Nitrous car, and high teens for a P/S in killer air. Now go to the big engine, which knowing where the power curve is on it we should be OK :drool5:
How far are you away from the little Genral Waren Johnson.

RumRunner
11-26-2008, 07:17 PM
How far are you away from the little Genral Waren Johnson.

From my house to the old man's shop is about 15 Minutes. About 25 Minutes over to Kaase's.

Velocity Kid
11-26-2008, 07:22 PM
From my house to the old man's shop is about 15 Minutes. About 25 Minutes over to Kaase's.Cool do you know were he got the nick name little Genral from. It's a funny story. I also have a funny story when I was at Sonnys back in 93 and we were dyno testing that 765 and Robert Patric was dyno testing his 500 inch P/S stuff next to us

RumRunner
11-26-2008, 07:26 PM
Cool do you know were he got the nick name little Genral from. It's a funny story. I also have a funny story when I was at Sonnys back in 93 and we were dyno testing that 765 and Robert Patric was dyno testing his 500 inch P/S stuff next to us

Actually I do. Hopefully the new heads for the Ford will turn out pretty good for the 500" guys, just a matter if they're going to do anything with the block or not.

Velocity Kid
11-26-2008, 07:30 PM
Actually I do. Hopefully the new heads for the Ford will turn out pretty good for the 500" guys, just a matter if they're going to do anything with the block or not. Only time will tell

Velocity Kid
11-26-2008, 07:33 PM
I was thinking with a nick name rum runner I would think you would be Roy Hill but, Roy doesnt live In Ga. I remeber when Roy was running those monster Shot gun ford motors, he had the competion beat by hundred cubes. I think he still has those 2 motors, Last time I talked to Hank he said he did. Hey Hank had or still has some kind of crazy boat doesn't he??

RumRunner
11-26-2008, 07:54 PM
I was thinking with a nick name rum runner I would think you would be Roy Hill but, Roy doesnt live In Ga. I remeber when Roy was running those monster Shot gun ford motors, he had the competion beat by hundred cubes. I think he still has those 2 motors, Last time I talked to Hank he said he did. Hey Hank had or still has some kind of crazy boat doesn't he??

Roy still has some old 4.9 bore space stuff that he uses for the school every now and then. I'm not sure if Hank is doing any boating, he hasn't been around Roy in a long time. He's got his own deal building and tuning Chassis. He's actually hooked up with Roy's ex-wife Kathy.

Velocity Kid
11-26-2008, 08:06 PM
Roy still has some old 4.9 bore space stuff that he uses for the school every now and then. I'm not sure if Hank is doing any boating, he hasn't been around Roy in a long time. He's got his own deal building and tuning Chassis. He's actually hooked up with Roy's ex-wife Kathy.
I have been out of the loop since 95 but still try to stay in touch with everybody. That wife thing with drag racers is a funny deal, look at Jerry Bickle, Bill Kulman and the 500 P/S guy cant think of his name, they all swaped wifes

RumRunner
11-26-2008, 08:17 PM
I have been out of the loop since 95 but still try to stay in touch with everybody. That wife thing with drag racers is a funny deal, look at Jerry Bickle, Bill Kulman and the 500 P/S guy cant think of his name, they all swaped wifes

Life can be better entertainment then the TV sometimes that's for sure. This is going to be a very long winter for me with the 500" guys, but hey it still beats having a real job.