BUIZILLA
02-28-2010, 09:31 AM
looking for opinion's on XJ's..

specifically around 2004's + or - a couple years,

supercharged R series

thanx

Chris
02-28-2010, 11:08 AM
Never owned one. Mostly because a close friend owns a fairly large foreign-specific repair shop specializing in high-end imports. Short version- he always tells me there's a reason you can get them at such bargain prices. He loves them though- makes a bundle fixing them.

BUIZILLA
02-28-2010, 03:07 PM
I may have an opportunity coming up with a GOOD friends wife's 2004 with about 30k on the clock, one owner, non-smoker, garaged, all dealer services done, only issue he has had since new was something with the air suspension? but I think he just had the dealer repair that recently.... the values really drop hard on these for some reason... :smash: :willy_nilly:

macjazzy
02-28-2010, 04:30 PM
Jaguar was the top rated luxury automobile as ranked by JD Power for 2009. Ford dumped a ton of money into them and they are not the cars they used to be. That being said any high end European auto will be more expensive to fix or maintain than a Domestic or lower end car.

I work in a Land Rover/Jaguar dealer the lead Jag tech told me he would not hesitate to recommend a Jag to his mother.

If you like one and get a good price on it, buy it.

Bradz
02-28-2010, 07:00 PM
I have owned four over the years. The early ones lived up to thier reputation. Nicest cars I have owned but they always had minor issues. The later years they are very reliable and made the top JD Powers list. The last two were very good.

BUIZILLA
02-28-2010, 10:39 PM
values seem to be allll over the map... what's a reliable value source?

Sea-Dated
03-01-2010, 05:53 PM
My Step Dad has an 05 XJR and it is a great car. Other than brakes and tires, he has done nothing to it and he has almost 75K on it now. He has kept up with all maintenance as well. It is a great highway cruiser and will run 125 or so all day long and feel like you are running 60.

Seafordguy
03-01-2010, 07:23 PM
04 was the first year of the new body style.

We have an 02 XJR - 85k miles. We had a wheel bearing go out at about 70k. We had a hardline on the steering rack (obviously defective) go bad but Jaguar had a replacement kit for it for under 60 bucks and it took me about 5 minutes to replace - my wife drove the car about 50 miles with no PS fluid, and it didn't even burn up the pump. We have a bad sensor somewhere on the car that kicks it into limp mode during the summer - we have a code scanner and just clear the code because I haven't felt like looking into it. Other than that the car doesn't burn a drop of oil and has (knock on wood) been awesome. Easiest car to change the oil in EVER!!!

I personally think the fit/finish are incredible. When the time comes to get rid of it, and get something else we will just buy a newer XJR. Having ridden in other's Lexus', Mercedes', and BMW's - I'll take the Jaguar.

Plus - it is nice to be riding around in something different. I see S classes, and 7 series, and LS430's every day, but when you see an XJR you take note......

baddogz28
03-01-2010, 09:51 PM
My old man had a 98 XJR, and I am going to look into getting one as a DD in the next year or so... Great riding sled. Sublimely quiet till you get into the boost... Nothing like the smell of that leather and wood.

Seafordguy
03-01-2010, 10:29 PM
My old man had a 98 XJR, and I am going to look into getting one as a DD in the next year or so... Great riding sled. Sublimely quiet till you get into the boost... Nothing like the smell of that leather and wood.

Be Careful of the early ones of my body style (99ish) they had some problems with the nickel contents in the cylinder walls deteriorating - I can't remember the exact circumstances. Some considered it a problem, some didn't. I shyed away from them because I like the wheels on the slightly newer ones, but the cylinder wall deterioration was a concern.

DCP21
11-24-2010, 08:57 PM
If anyone with a Jag is still checking this, Remeber 04 and up Jag went to all aluminum, if you own one of them check your insurance policy and see if they will cover the Aluminum rate at an "A" certified shop for any structural repairs. The body shop has to have their A cert from jag to even get the structural parts for the cars. Most Jag owners I have dealt with have no Idea how bad thier ins co sucks till the car gets hit hard. Insurance companies getting away with everyday what they tried to put Gotti in jail for. . . . . . . . .If he had only paid his taxes . . . . . . . . . . .

poncho
11-25-2010, 05:50 PM
Id have a Jaguar but I like the much older ones better...... Brother though has an XJR and loves it. Never been a problem.

Buying any older European or even American........ Always buy the newest and best condition you can afford. The key is shopping around. The cheap priced ones are usually high mileage and not serviced! Id rather pay a premium for a low mileage well serviced with books and records. In other words you get what you pay for. I find the people who complain are ones who bought low priced bargain because its a Jag. I don't have Jags anymore because its tough to find near showroom original low miles with service history 1980's series III XJ's these days.

PARADOX
11-27-2010, 09:32 AM
Got a 87 XJS. Just blown one of the injectors. No idea how to take it out, or replace it.
Jag shop wants more then the car is worth, so it sits. Love the old body style, but hate working on the Jags. had the brakes done some time ago. I figured I could do it. I couldn't even find the damn rotors on the rear. They are next to the differential. waaaaaay inside. half the suspension have to come off just to change the pads. etc.
Spark plug change ?? LMAO No. 12 is imposible unless you make a special tool.
I'm done with Jags. Any one wants this 87 Jag XJS, with one injector fried?

poncho
11-27-2010, 05:27 PM
Got a 87 XJS. Just blown one of the injectors. No idea how to take it out, or replace it.
Jag shop wants more then the car is worth, so it sits. Love the old body style, but hate working on the Jags. had the brakes done some time ago. I figured I could do it. I couldn't even find the damn rotors on the rear. They are next to the differential. waaaaaay inside. half the suspension have to come off just to change the pads. etc.
Spark plug change ?? LMAO No. 12 is imposible unless you make a special tool.
I'm done with Jags. Any one wants this 87 Jag XJS, with one injector fried?

All the above is the reason its near impossible to find a good example. Very few people are willing to put money into them for service!

BY U BOY
11-27-2010, 11:19 PM
Jaguar was the top rated luxury automobile as ranked by JD Power for 2009. Ford dumped a ton of money into them and they are not the cars they used to be. That being said any high end European auto will be more expensive to fix or maintain than a Domestic or lower end car.

I work in a Land Rover/Jaguar dealer the lead Jag tech told me he would not hesitate to recommend a Jag to his mother.

If you like one and get a good price on it, buy it.

What dealer do you work for? I work for Land Rover/Jaguar Houston Central

I will be selling some NEW Jaguar XJ's for a steal starting on Dec 1st.