PDA

View Full Version : TRS to Bravo

paston1
02-25-2010, 02:34 PM
I am thinking of switching to a bravo from a TRS in our 1979 Carrera SS7M with 502 MAG MPI. 1. How difficult? 2.How much? 3. what parts do i need? I like the TRS it is just heavy and takes up a lot of space. Any advice as to do it or not is greatly appreciated

MILD THUNDER
02-25-2010, 06:18 PM
You would need a Bravo drive, bravo transom assembly with trim rams, bellhousing, engine coupler, bottom mount starter, and inner transom plate. You would need to reglass the transom cutout, get shift cable brackets, steering system needs to be modified. Depending on the exhaust setup, some changes might need to be made there also for the tips/tailpipes to line up.

Upside is you would save about 125lbs or so, and about a foot or so of room in front of the engine. Plus be able to raise the propshaft height which is probably pretty deep with your TRS, by adding shorty lower unit or figuring that in with your rigging process. Also, parts availability is a bonus. Downside, spend alot of time, money, and maybe even a worse ride witht the weight being moved closer to the stern.

Not a exact quote, but i would think between a good used bravo, or even new, plus all the parts to do the job, somewhere around 4-7k in parts?? Used TRS drive, transom assembly, and tranny, worth around 2500 roughly from what i been seeing.

Seafordguy
02-25-2010, 09:33 PM
Wouldn't he also have to move the engine backwards....??

mdgperf
02-25-2010, 10:30 PM
If you are running a 502mpi and don't plan on upgrading to big hp(over600) you could rig with a std bravo and gimbal,most of the boats i have converted have picked up 3-5mph,the downside is a lot of labor glassing in transom and moving engine and re-rigging,sometimes when you cut into transom you find the wood not good enough for a plug ,leading to complete transom replacement,the other alternative is to replace drive with a konrad trs replacement which can handle a lot more power,still get parts and service and will raise the x dimension to todays standards,the weight will be about the same and speed should be a little better

paston1
02-26-2010, 10:59 AM
The engine being pushed back would be nice as we would have more room in the cockpit. Sounds like a lot of work for a few inches and a few miles per hour. The parts availabilty would be nice. Not to many parts guys left who know anything about TRS

htrdlncn
03-20-2010, 11:55 AM
I tried pming you but your box was full.
Im trying to get a Carrera forum started on the board.
if you could add your input I would appreciate it!
http://www.seriousoffshore.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15582&highlight=Carrera

Frank@damncarrera.com

DAREDEVIL
03-20-2010, 02:59 PM
the volvo to bravo plate works !!!!!!!! Its a plate that converts the bolt pattern from VOLVO to BRAVO I and bolts on between the gimbal and transom ....WORKS 100% !!!!!!!!!

Boatally Insane
05-06-2010, 10:08 PM
the volvo to bravo plate works !!!!!!!! Its a plate that converts the bolt pattern from VOLVO to BRAVO I and bolts on between the gimbal and transom ....WORKS 100% !!!!!!!!!

Do you happen to have a part number??.. :)

Doug

DAREDEVIL
05-06-2010, 10:14 PM

Doug

No, and i think they don't make them anymore..it was basicly a plate ~3/8 thick and had a bravo cut out with holes in it .

Then u bolted it to the transom and done !!!!!

The yoke of the bravo would basicly go 3/8 less in but it works well.

U could build it yourself !:cheers2:

tsp
05-06-2010, 10:33 PM

Doug

There are a couple of those plates for sale on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mercruiser-adapter-Volvo-Penta-Alpha-bravo-827691a1-/400010809010?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Boat_Parts_Accessories_Gear&hash=item5d22808eb2

DAREDEVIL
05-06-2010, 11:14 PM
There are a couple of those plates for sale on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mercruiser-adapter-Volvo-Penta-Alpha-bravo-827691a1-/400010809010?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Boat_Parts_Accessories_Gear&hash=item5d22808eb2

Yep,,these are the original ones !!!!!