PDA

View Full Version : question about power steering hoses

convincer253
02-23-2010, 06:28 PM
There are two hoses that come from the steering ram at the transom of the boat..one goes to the back of the power steering pump and the other to the cooler...The end of the hose that screws into the back of the pump is ........16mm x 1.5...this is the thread size...does anyone know if the other end of the hose(at the transom)..is the same size.....and then

what is the thread size of the other hose...

what im trying to do is get fittings to adapt this to AN fittings...

i found the one that screws into the back of the pump but only ordered one to make sure it was the right fitting...and it is the correct fitting...but not sure if the other end is the same size and dont know the size of the other hose fitting at all.

Boat is in storage and am not able to get to it yet and check the hose fittings..but wanna get fittings and hoses ready...hopefully someone has done this before and remembers the sizes...

The sizes that are available are:

14mm X 1.5
16mm X 1.5
18mm X 1.5

Thanks and again...hope someone knows for sure the size of these hose fittings

Ted
02-23-2010, 11:18 PM
Both my cooler hoses are just hose to a nipple on the cooler. Which engine are you working with?

convincer253
02-24-2010, 08:56 AM
im talking about the factory hose ends from Merc...They are a O-ring fitting...Earls ...makes a fitting the converts from a o-ring to a -6 an fitting.....if you want...go to...ANplumbing.com...adaptors...metric and the part # is 991955...this fitting scres into the back of the power steering pump in place of the factory hose...and lets you convert to a AN fitting instead of an o-ring fitting.....hope this clafifys what im looking for.....i just need to know if the other hose end is the same size or not....the end that screws into the steering ram on the transom...

Ted
02-24-2010, 09:39 AM
Oh, sorry I was confused as to what you were looking for. I can check for you tonight if no one else chimes in. I have one sitting in my garage right now.

Trim'd Up
02-24-2010, 09:52 AM
DO you mean the fittings on the steering rack? Mine were flair fittings not o-ring and were two different sizes.

bajabob 718
02-24-2010, 12:03 PM
DO you mean the fittings on the steering rack? Mine were flair fittings not o-ring and were two different sizes.:iagree: mine are the same as trim up , no o ring

convincer253
02-24-2010, 06:35 PM
yes..im talking about the steering rack...couldnt think of the name of it when i was typing this post..sorry.....i dont have the boat to look as as i explained...so the end of the hose that scres onto the steering rack might be flared..im not sure...but seems like they were oring fittings just like the end that goes into the back of the power steering pump.....does anyone know what size the thread is thats in the steering rack...standard or metric......they are 2 different sizes..i do know that but dont know the thread size...thanks to all for the help so far

convincer253
02-24-2010, 06:44 PM
just found the scematic...it is o-ring but doesnt tell the thread size....check it out

convincer253
02-24-2010, 08:43 PM
i figured it out...the end on the steering rack is a flare fitting...now i just gotta get the thread size thats on the rack...Thanks

sweet addiction
02-24-2010, 10:04 PM
I had problems with mine a while back. I wanted to just do away with those quick connections. I had a problem with the high pressure line blowing off. Ended up just going full hydraulic.

i figured it out...the end on the steering rack is a flare fitting...now i just gotta get the thread size thats on the rack...Thanks

MOBILEMERCMAN
02-26-2010, 12:53 PM

The larger one is 5/8 1.50 thread
and the other 17/32-20

convincer253
02-26-2010, 09:46 PM
got it all figured out now...They ARE metric...high pressure on the rack is 16mm X 1.5 and the low pressure is 14mm X 1.5...Thanks to all

Donskihp
03-05-2010, 07:29 PM
If you check at a local Hydrolic shop you will probaly find they are AN # 6 fittings.Thats what my Donzi with dual rams and full hydrolic has. If you still are not sure call Latham marine,there good with help questions