PDA

View Full Version : AMG Cig?

VtSteve
02-22-2010, 11:36 PM
http://blog.caranddriver.com/cigarette-racing-boat-inspired-by-sls-amg-unveiled/

Fear not, this 46-foot Cigarette Racing boat (which was teased back in December) is car-related: it was inspired by the Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG. Apparently, Cigarette CEO Skip Braver is a huge fan of AMG products and has owned several of them.

The similarities between car and boat are subtle, to say the least. The boat’s hull is painted in a blend of two SLS-exclusive paint colors, Alubeam silver and Designo Mystic White. Interior upholstery is based on the SLS’s mix of Designo porcelain and white Nappa leather, though made of water-resistant materials.

The boat’s engines are a brand-new design: two twin-turbo, 9.0-liter Mercury Racing engines produce a combined 2700 hp, enabling a top speed of over 130 mph. Cigarette Racing says the engines are more reliable and more fuel-efficient than any competitive boat engine.

Check out the gallery below for a closer look at the boat.

[View with PicLens]

MarylandMark
02-23-2010, 05:02 PM
Lot of threads on this:

http://www.seriousoffshore.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14617

Cross marketing was the goal all along, looks like it is working!

JupiterSunsation
02-23-2010, 11:28 PM
Lot of threads on this:

http://www.seriousoffshore.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14617

Cross marketing was the goal all along, looks like it is working!

Really? How many AMG cars were sold due to this boat? How many Ciggies went out the door due to the AMG trim?

It was a poorly executed marketing pitch at best......:eek:

Brad
02-24-2010, 12:16 AM
Really? How many AMG cars were sold due to this boat? How many Ciggies went out the door due to the AMG trim?

You don't think that AMG paint job will be popular?

damdonzi
02-24-2010, 09:17 AM
US $1,222,110.00
http://www.yachtworld.com/maranello-marine/

Tank
02-24-2010, 11:08 AM

Well, I don't know about that. Supposidly the 46 AMG was sold site un-seen and the 50 Maurader went for 1.5 from what I heard.

I'm guessing that 46 went for somewhere right around 1 mil. To me, you just sell one 1 millioin dollar boat and all that marketing (which wasn't much actually) was worth it.

Tommy Gun
02-24-2010, 12:49 PM
As I understand it Cigarette had two offers to sell the boat but that they could not because they have an agreement with Mercedes to tour the boat with the car for a year.

Tank
02-24-2010, 02:30 PM
As I understand it Cigarette had two offers to sell the boat but that they could not because they have an agreement with Mercedes to tour the boat with the car for a year.

Hmmm, wonder if theres a little, "We'll take your money and you can have it when we're done touring it.." going on??:ack2::sifone::sifone:

Bobcat
02-24-2010, 06:19 PM
crappy finish around the cleats on the Cig....somebody dropped the ball on that one !:(

MarylandMark
02-25-2010, 10:24 AM

Go to a boat show or buy a boat magazine, go to a boating website; you don't expect to see specifics about about a car.

Go to a car show or buy a car magazine, go to a car website; you don't expect to see specifics about about a boat.

I think they could have done a much better job on the boat, but I still think a lot of people sat in a MB at the boat show that normally wouldn't have on that day. A lot of people read about a Cig boat when they wouldn't normally have the day their Car & Driver magazine was delivered as well. Imagine if they sit that boat out in front of a few MB dealers- ask Gino how many people almost broke their neck when his boat was out front (IMHO a MUCH better looking and impressive rig and not an official collaboration but still).

I'd be drolling over the boat, the GF would have been sitting in the car wondering if I got the boat if she could get the car. One for you, one for me.

PM203
02-25-2010, 05:21 PM
Most of the photographs don't do the boat any justice. But, I have seen certain photos that make the boat look great. Either way, it still was an impressive joint venture pulled off by Skip.

Dino
02-25-2010, 07:11 PM
crappy finish around the cleats on the Cig....somebody dropped the ball on that one !:(

Thats what happens when Neils not around!!!

PM203
02-25-2010, 08:35 PM

This is not normal. Either the boat was rushed for the show or there was a quick repair in that area for some reason. Cig is second to no one for fit and finish.

MarylandMark
02-26-2010, 11:02 AM
Go to a car show or buy a car magazine, go to a car website; you don't expect to see specifics about about a boat.

See:

http://www.seriousoffshore.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14991

GENERAL LEE
02-26-2010, 01:58 PM
Either way, it still was an impressive joint venture pulled off by Skip.

That's the way I see it. Skip has known the higher ups at AMG for many years, so this was a great way to get exposure for both AMG and Cigarette, is what it's meant for.

It would be pretty difficult to keep track of whether or not someone bought a Mercedes because of seeing the new model at the boat shows, & vice versa when a boat is sold. The venture definitely can't HURT either company.

JupiterSunsation
02-27-2010, 09:14 AM
Well, I don't know about that. Supposidly the 46 AMG was sold site un-seen and the 50 Maurader went for 1.5 from what I heard.

I'm guessing that 46 went for somewhere right around 1 mil. To me, you just sell one 1 millioin dollar boat and all that marketing (which wasn't much actually) was worth it.

Hey someone once bought American Muscle 1, Spiderman and other ugly theme boats too.....so as they say in the car business there is an azz for every seat. :D

If that boat was all white and called "the white edition" and someone bought it that too could be considered a marketing success. To me success in marketing is when it can be repeated several times as in sell 10 AMG edition boats.

JupiterSunsation
02-27-2010, 09:16 AM
This is not normal. Either the boat was rushed for the show or there was a quick repair in that area for some reason. Cig is second to no one for fit and finish.

There was a thumbnail sized nick in the corner of the transom that was filled in with a magic marker too......I suspect it was damaged in transit to the show and someone tried to touch it up with a similar color marker.

Tank
02-27-2010, 01:30 PM
Hey someone once bought American Muscle 1, Spiderman and other ugly theme boats too.....so as they say in the car business there is an azz for every seat. :D

If that boat was all white and called "the white edition" and someone bought it that too could be considered a marketing success. To me success in marketing is when it can be repeated several times as in sell 10 AMG edition boats.

I agree. I also agree that funky dash on the themed boats was odd (eh-hum, ugly). But you're counting the chics before they're all hatched. It's been less than a month and the boat is (most likely) sold. We'll see if more sell or if Cigarette even plans to build more than one. Most of their special project boats are one off's, except for the American Muscle series. And I guess you could say the two Plane RR's were kind've similar designs.

All I'm saying is, I would suggest a company that sells a million dollar plus boat site unseen would be considered a success.

Tommy Gun
02-27-2010, 08:22 PM
I'd be drolling over the boat, the GF would have been sitting in the car wondering if I got the boat if she could get the car. One for you, one for me.

HA, that's exactly the reply I got from my wife when I sent the pics'...you can have the boat; I'll take the car.

Tommy Gun
02-27-2010, 08:25 PM
I'm just pleased this effort will give perfomance boating more exposure..which it certainley will. If fishing and Jersey Shore can get TV time why not offshore racing?

CRT
02-27-2010, 09:15 PM
Which booth at the show had the most people looking, the most people taking pictures, and the best display........Cigarette?

If you like the boat or not, it got more attention then anything else!

Here it is a few weeks later and AMG CIGARETTE is still a topic.:)