PDA

View Full Version : 2011 GM Duramax upgrades......

JupiterSunsation
02-21-2010, 10:09 AM
GM spent some money on the chassis upgrades and "reworked" powertrain.......meaning the Duramax will be rated to pull 20,000 lbs in 2011.

I suspect that will be in a gooseneck setup and in a 2WD dually with 8 gallons of gas, a 120 lb driver and no passengers, empty truck right down to the glove box and no CD in the radio!

fund razor
02-21-2010, 10:29 AM
No. The 20,000 is with the crew cab, long box 3500 dually and a 36 gallon tank. :D
Base tow rating for the new frame is 16,000

Don't hate. Appreciate. GM just came out with the fastest, most powerful production one ton.

Brakes went from 12.8" to 14" to accomodate larger wheel options.

New intake setup to eliminate the old snow collection in blizzard conditions complaint.

All new Allison tranny.

New optional allison driven exhaust brake, power take off and driver shift control.

Bad news: urea exhaust fill every 5,000 miles. (Welcome to enviro-weenie decade)
Also an't use chips and controllers without having them tattle to GM at warranty time.

fund razor
02-21-2010, 10:35 AM
I love my classic, but here is some info on the new trucks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfTV86Fkh9s

JupiterSunsation
02-21-2010, 10:37 AM
No. The 20,000 is with the crew cab, long box 3500 dually and a 36 gallon tank. :D
Base tow rating for the new frame is 16,000

Don't hate. Appreciate. GM just came out with the fastest, most powerful production one ton.

Brakes went from 12.8" to 14" to accomodate larger wheel options.

New intake setup to eliminate the old snow collection in blizzard conditions complaint.

All new Allison tranny.

New optional allison driven exhaust brake, power take off and driver shift control.

Bad news: urea exhaust fill every 5,000 miles. (Welcome to enviro-weenie decade)
Also an't use chips and controllers without having them tattle to GM at warranty time.

Also note "BIGGER WHEELS AND TIRES" unfortunately they look like they got taken directly from a Ford F350.

Fund- I am a GM fan, 9 new GM trucks in 20 years, still own 4 including a 150K mile Duramax. Just suspect their "test numbers" may be done Reggie Fountain style.......:D

fund razor
02-21-2010, 10:40 AM
Max and his new girlfriend, the new Allison 1000

fund razor
02-21-2010, 10:46 AM
Also note "BIGGER WHEELS AND TIRES" unfortunately they look like they got taken directly from a Ford F350.

Fund- I am a GM fan, 9 new GM trucks in 20 years, still own 4 including a 150K mile Duramax. Just suspect their "test numbers" may be done Reggie Fountain style.......:D
"Look like, suspect...."

I'm not defending GM, just the facts. Your thread was a very sarcastic approach to your "suspicion." I thought I would put up some alternative viewpoints. I'll wait to see whether GM is "reggie" all of a sudden.

The nice thing about all the ford owners, doubters, malcontents and comedians who are "suspicious" is that it is driving up the value of our classics. Please continue. I would love to sell my LLY/LBZ one ton for more than I paid, if I ever let it go.

Maybe post this thread on every forum that you visit. :cheers2:

JupiterSunsation
02-21-2010, 10:47 AM
I love my classic, but here is some info on the new trucks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfTV86Fkh9s

Carl Hillenbrand needs a new jacket......the buttons are pulling bad over the belly!

fund razor
02-21-2010, 10:49 AM
I must have been looking at the truck.

You could be a fashion expert. Maybe we'll see you on Bravo some day. :)

JupiterSunsation
02-21-2010, 10:53 AM
"Look like, suspect...."

I'm not defending GM, just the facts. Your thread was a very sarcastic approach to your "suspicion." I thought I would put up some alternative viewpoints. I'll wait to see whether GM is "reggie" all of a sudden.

The nice thing about all the ford owners, doubters, malcontents and comedians who are "suspicious" is that it is driving up the value of our classics. Please continue. I would love to sell my LLY/LBZ one ton for more than I paid, if I ever let it go.

Maybe post this thread on every forum that you visit. :cheers2:

My 03 "classic" is a great truck but I don't suspect it is climbing in value..... To me the truck is a tool (long since paid for) and just like a shovel or any other tool I own I wouldn't buy another one just to have a new one. The old one has to be broken or unusable. That and I don't want to spend 50K on a new one! :D

fund razor
02-21-2010, 10:58 AM
My 03 "classic" is a great truck but I don't suspect it is climbing in value.....

Right. Not so much the first generation LB7.
More like the third generation LLY and LBZ. (2006-2007) After most of the fixes and before the new emissions crap. Also, before the tattle tale ECM.

fund razor
02-21-2010, 10:59 AM
My biggest issue with the new trucks is having to pay to have someone to pee in the exhaust every 5,000 miles. :D

JupiterSunsation
02-21-2010, 11:03 AM
My biggest issue with the new trucks is having to pay to have someone to pee in the exhaust every 5,000 miles. :D

Not sure about the 5K mile part.....I had two diesel Mercedes SUV's recently that also needed that refill and after 50K miles on one I never did it once. I suspect there is an interval but it can't be 5K miles...even oil changes are longer than that!

fund razor
02-21-2010, 02:29 PM
I can only find references to 5,000 miles, whether it's the car and driver review, the truck forums, etc. The fluid will be used, so the tank will gradually empty and sensors in the tank will cause a limp mode condition if you ignore them.

fixxxer22
02-21-2010, 02:34 PM
The new 2011 ford... If the pee pee tank goes empty the truck will warn you a few times then it will only idle. To force you to refill the tank. Our interval is supposed to also be in that 5k range. we just got our first 55 gallon drum of it.

Expensive Date
02-21-2010, 04:54 PM
The new 2011 ford... If the pee pee tank goes empty the truck will warn you a few times then it will only idle. To force you to refill the tank. Our interval is supposed to also be in that 5k range. we just got our first 55 gallon drum of it.

A couple of the truck shops that are my customers just got it also.I wonder who the first idiot will be that tries to be cheap and puts gas:eek:in there.

JupiterSunsation
02-21-2010, 06:45 PM

Is this a simple enough process that the customer can do it? Easy as an oil change or windshield washer refill? Stopping at a dealer to have it done would be a huge pain in the azz if you have to do it every 5K miles!

Quinlan
02-21-2010, 07:17 PM
Right. Not so much the first generation LB7.
More like the third generation LLY and LBZ. (2006-2007) After most of the fixes and before the new emissions crap. Also, before the tattle tale ECM.

Just what I have 07 classic and love it and pulls the Ciggie :sifone:

fund razor
02-21-2010, 08:06 PM
Is this a simple enough process that the customer can do it? Easy as an oil change or windshield washer refill? Stopping at a dealer to have it done would be a huge pain in the azz if you have to do it every 5K miles!

Here is what the fill looks like. (Courtesy news.pickuptrucks.com)

MarylandMark
02-21-2010, 08:07 PM
Here is what the fill looks like. (Courtesy news.pickuptrucks.com)

me no see nothing :bump:

MarylandMark
02-21-2010, 08:07 PM
Now I do.. :iamwithstupid:

fund razor
02-21-2010, 08:08 PM
Here is the tank: (also courtesy news.pickuptrucks.com)

fund razor
02-21-2010, 08:10 PM
Maybe 3-5 bucks a gallon for the juice. (32.5 percent industrial urea and 67.5 percent deionized water) The tank holds 5.5, so saying you had a half gallon left when you refilled, that would be about 20 bucks to fill it every 5000 miles (less when towing according to GM, as the injection levels depend on exhaust levels to keep the mix of ammonia (the by-product of exhaust heat on the urea) and emissions correct.

fund razor
02-21-2010, 08:12 PM
me no see nothing :bump:

Sounds like a quote from the chinese man that you love, but I digress. :biggrinjester:

fund razor
02-21-2010, 08:13 PM
Might as well show the engine too, huh?

fund razor
02-21-2010, 08:20 PM
I guess I would rather have a DEF tank and a cleaner emissions truck than have the Euroweenies and Enviroweenies take the truck away altogether.

MarylandMark
02-21-2010, 08:25 PM
At least mere mortals have access to it vs having to take it to the dealer.

fund razor
02-21-2010, 08:31 PM
Hope it has a heater cause the DEF freezes at -7 degrees C, 19 degrees F, according to the internet.

fixxxer22
02-22-2010, 11:00 AM
yes, the def will freeze at that temp so the tank is heated on the ford. Also it is corrosive so when you cycle the key to the off postition the pump reverses adn draws the pee pee out of the lines so they do not corrode and leak. there are warnings all over the barrel saying it will eat paint also. so dont spill! I go to training on the ford march 10th and will have alot of downtime in a hotel room between classes. so i will let you guys know all that i learn.

Comment on that picture above about the engine: When i went to new model training on the 6.4 the instructor said " you could stand on the radiator support and take a piss and no matter which way you aim your stream will never hit clear ground. It will hit something before it hits the ground.... So, you are welcome from Ford motor company" and we all laughed. The 6.4 is 10 pounds of crap in a 1 pound bag.

Magic Medicine
02-22-2010, 02:55 PM

I have been told 7500 mile intervals to coincide with REGULAR oil change intervals. Normal, driving and idling conditions

fund razor
02-22-2010, 03:06 PM
I have been told 7500 mile intervals to coincide with REGULAR oil change intervals. Normal, driving and idling conditions

I don't know of anybody who uses one of these for "normal" driving and I don't know anybody who goes 7,500 miles between oil changes.

Magic Medicine
02-22-2010, 03:08 PM
I don't know of anybody who uses one of these for "normal" driving and I don't know anybody who goes 7,500 miles between oil changes.

I do as my daily driver and plenty of Fords come into the dealership driven
the same way.

Magic Medicine
02-22-2010, 03:14 PM

so are you saying that 7500 mile interval is to soon or too long??????

FULL FORCE
02-22-2010, 03:36 PM
I still don't like the idea of torsion bars on a HD truck, I agree the ride is nice but man when those fail.....ugly... had it happen in a small truck once... I would hate to be pulling my boat and have it happen.

20,000 rating on SRW??? not sure I would pull that much on SRW...

Magic Medicine
02-22-2010, 04:35 PM
I still don't like the idea of torsion bars on a HD truck, I agree the ride is nice but man when those fail.....ugly... had it happen in a small truck once... I would hate to be pulling my boat and have it happen.

20,000 rating on SRW??? not sure I would pull that much on SRW...

Kind of like some of the half ton trucks claiming towing ability to 10K, not pulling my boat or with my family in the truck!

fixxxer22
02-22-2010, 05:30 PM

If i am correct in assuming that you have a 7.3 or 6.0 that is waaayyyy too long. 3k motorcraft oil and filter. It keeps the injectors happy. That high pressure oil system beats the crap out of oil. Oil is way cheaper than injectors.

fund razor
02-22-2010, 06:15 PM

I didn't say it was too soon or too long. The Ford Tech answered that.
I said that I don't know anybody who goes that long. But if you do, I guess I know this one guy who goes that long. :)

fund razor
02-22-2010, 06:21 PM

Don't pull your boat with a small truck. :D

No, seriously... I have been reading your thoughts on the torsion bars so I went over to The Diesel Place where 106,000 members with duramax's are. I searched "torsion bar" and in hundreds of threads, there was nothing about a torsion bar on a HD truck going. Lots of thoughts about how far to crank them when you get bigger rims though. Not that it isn't an issue, but it doesn't seem to make the hit parade of GM gripes. (Like the "pump rub," the tranny cooler lines, etc.)

Magic Medicine
02-22-2010, 06:34 PM
I didn't say it was too soon or too long. The Ford Tech answered that.
I said that I don't know anybody who goes that long. But if you do, I guess I know this one guy who goes that long. :)

3000k is a little premature on oil change intervals for the 7.3 or 6.0 liter diesels, my master certified diesel tech and myself don't change the oil that often. Ford recommends 7500 mile service intervals under normal operating
conditions and 5000 miles intervals for sever duty applications. But what the hay does Ford know????

fund razor
02-22-2010, 06:46 PM
3000k is a little premature on oil change intervals for the 7.3 or 6.0 liter diesels, my master certified diesel tech and myself don't change the oil that often. Ford recommends 7500 mile service intervals under normal operating
conditions and 5000 miles intervals for sever duty applications. But what the hay does Ford know????

I don't know what is best. But the guys that I know are in the 4k-5k range. I guess they tow alot. Maybe your master mechanic doesn't. That would work out. Chris drives an Excursion with a 7.3 Powerstroke like some people drive a Kia. I'll bet he changes sooner than 7500. But I have no dog in the fight, and everybody does their own thing. I think that being a boater and building new power before has made me a conservative oil changer. When I change my oil in my Malibu at 3k, the oil life light (from GM) thinks that it has 2000 miles left, but that's ok. I'll err on the side of caution. Plus, I keep my vehicles a long time and this plan (early rather than late) has worked great for me. :cheers2:

JupiterSunsation
02-22-2010, 07:27 PM
I go 5-7K on my 1500's with 4.3 motors and 6-8K on my duramax (holds 10 qts.).

MarylandMark
02-22-2010, 08:07 PM
I go around 5K using the mid-grade oil. They call it "blue" at the place I go to, think it is Valvoline.

100 miles a year towing a 9K boat, if that on both numbers; other than that just a daily driver.

fund razor
02-22-2010, 08:29 PM
I was thinking about this the other day. I change the oil (9 qts) in my 560sl in the spring and fall. I put 1,000 miles on that car a year. That's only 500 miles per oil change. :o

Bill
02-23-2010, 07:56 AM
I change the oil in my Dmax every fall with Amsoil. BUT, that once a years is only about 3k miles...

fixxxer22
02-23-2010, 10:19 AM

I have my master status as well:cheers2: I change mine every 2500 to 3k mine is a daily driver. just had a 7.3 in yesterday that wont start cold due to stuck injectors. It is a 550 concrete truck and does not get the chance to get proper maintinence. I also have a truck that comes in every 3k for an oil change that has 400k on it and runs better than most 7.3 trucks with 100k on them. Keeping the detergent level high in the oil is the best defense for keeping the spool valves clean in the injectors. Which during prior approval the first question they ask when dealing with stuck injectors is "has the maintinence records been recorded". You can go 7500. if it were mine i would never go past 5000. Thats just my opinion. And you can go out to my 6.0 with 82k on it not plug it in and start it at 10degrees. no miss no smoke i could just put it in gear and drive away. My injectors are cleeeeeaaaaannnnn. Not trying to get in a pissing match here. Ford will honor all warranty at the 7500 mile interval. Rough service 5k. I just plan on keeping my truck for a long time and oil is cheaper than injectors and metal. :driving:

Quinlan
02-23-2010, 11:12 AM
I change my D max at 5k max. The life still is 50% or so but i wont wait.
But the last time the oil life went to 0 and I only had 3K on it go figure!!
anybody have any idea what would cause that?

fund razor
02-23-2010, 11:14 AM
I saw some stuff on the diesel place about engine hours resetting with low voltage conditions. (which would be a DIC connection) Have you had any electric anomalies, low batts, new batts... unhook batts?

Magic Medicine
02-23-2010, 11:34 AM
I have my master status as well:cheers2: I change mine every 2500 to 3k mine is a daily driver. just had a 7.3 in yesterday that wont start cold due to stuck injectors. It is a 550 concrete truck and does not get the chance to get proper maintinence. I also have a truck that comes in every 3k for an oil change that has 400k on it and runs better than most 7.3 trucks with 100k on them. Keeping the detergent level high in the oil is the best defense for keeping the spool valves clean in the injectors. Which during prior approval the first question they ask when dealing with stuck injectors is "has the maintinence records been recorded". You can go 7500. if it were mine i would never go past 5000. Thats just my opinion. And you can go out to my 6.0 with 82k on it not plug it in and start it at 10degrees. no miss no smoke i could just put it in gear and drive away. My injectors are cleeeeeaaaaannnnn. Not trying to get in a pissing match here. Ford will honor all warranty at the 7500 mile interval. Rough service 5k. I just plan on keeping my truck for a long time and oil is cheaper than injectors and metal. :driving:

My truck runs the same way with my oil change intervals with 160K on it, but its time for a new one! Luv the new body style!:iagree: No pissing match here but theres more than 1 way to skin a cat:eek:

Magic Medicine
02-23-2010, 11:36 AM
I don't know what is best. But the guys that I know are in the 4k-5k range. I guess they tow alot. Maybe your master mechanic doesn't. That would work out. Chris drives an Excursion with a 7.3 Powerstroke like some people drive a Kia. I'll bet he changes sooner than 7500. But I have no dog in the fight, and everybody does their own thing. I think that being a boater and building new power before has made me a conservative oil changer. When I change my oil in my Malibu at 3k, the oil life light (from GM) thinks that it has 2000 miles left, but that's ok. I'll err on the side of caution. Plus, I keep my vehicles a long time and this plan (early rather than late) has worked great for me. :cheers2:

Different strokes different folks. I don't keep my vehicles long being in the car biz, doesn't make sense for me to keep them long! :sifone:

Knot 4 Me
02-23-2010, 11:54 AM
I don't know what is best. But the guys that I know are in the 4k-5k range. I guess they tow alot. Maybe your master mechanic doesn't. That would work out. Chris drives an Excursion with a 7.3 Powerstroke like some people drive a Kia. I'll bet he changes sooner than 7500. But I have no dog in the fight, and everybody does their own thing. I think that being a boater and building new power before has made me a conservative oil changer. When I change my oil in my Malibu at 3k, the oil life light (from GM) thinks that it has 2000 miles left, but that's ok. I'll err on the side of caution. Plus, I keep my vehicles a long time and this plan (early rather than late) has worked great for me. :cheers2:I went with 5K oil change intervals on my DMax. I changed the external tranny filter and fuel filter every 7,500 miles. I had my torsion bars cranked 5 full turns to help level the truck.

fund razor
02-23-2010, 12:26 PM
Different strokes different folks.
Yep.
No pizzing contest here either. :cheers2:

Magic Medicine
02-23-2010, 12:31 PM
Yep.
No pizzing contest here either. :cheers2:

quit spending so much time here and get that Apache ready for the water:bump::leaving:

Just bustin stones , how close are you????

fund razor
02-23-2010, 12:47 PM
quit spending so much time here and get that Apache ready for the water:bump::leaving:

Just bustin stones , how close are you????

When I put it away for the winter the new tank was done but the bilge still had to be painted. New power is on stands. Rounding up a couple of manifolds now, and next month I am moving it to a place inside that I can paint while the new power gets dyno'd. :driving:

Magic Medicine
02-23-2010, 01:04 PM
When I put it away for the winter the new tank was done but the bilge still had to be painted. New power is on stands. Rounding up a couple of manifolds now, and next month I am moving it to a place inside that I can paint while the new power gets dyno'd. :driving:

Just around the corner! Good luck getting it finished up!

fund razor
02-23-2010, 01:07 PM
Just around the corner! Good luck getting it finished up!
Thanks! I have spring fever so bad I am going nuts. :D

kvscarab38
02-23-2010, 04:03 PM

Just curious who did the new power for u and whos going to dyno it for u???

fund razor
02-23-2010, 04:48 PM
Just curious who did the new power for u and whos going to dyno it for u???

Got any dyno ideas to throw in the mix?

Magic Medicine
02-23-2010, 05:06 PM
Thanks! I have spring fever so bad I am going nuts. :D

thats why you need a winter hobby to keep you busy, we have been having
fun on sled all winter long, when there was snow of course:driving::cheers2:

on the spring fever note, I am starting to get the boating itch myself but there's snow on the ground now so I will keep riding:sifone:

JupiterSunsation
02-23-2010, 05:31 PM
I change my D max at 5k max. The life still is 50% or so but i wont wait.
But the last time the oil life went to 0 and I only had 3K on it go figure!!
anybody have any idea what would cause that?

yeah you forgot to reset the oil change "clock" so 5K w/no reset + 3K = 0 Oil Life. :D

Quinlan
02-23-2010, 09:18 PM
yeah you forgot to reset the oil change "clock" so 5K w/no reset + 3K = 0 Oil Life. :D

The chevy dlr changed it so you are probably right!!
They tried to say my excess idleing warm up. Shoulda known better.

sweet addiction
02-23-2010, 10:25 PM
I noticed this on mine not long ago. Put new batteries on it in the fall. Some where during that time the engine hours reset, but it does not bother me just does not match the mileage which sucks. mine is a 2005. I forget if that motor is the LBZ or LLY I get confused. :confused:

I saw some stuff on the diesel place about engine hours resetting with low voltage conditions. (which would be a DIC connection) Have you had any electric anomalies, low batts, new batts... unhook batts?

sweet addiction
02-23-2010, 10:31 PM
I saw a new silver crew cab dually and I got to have one. Thought I wanted another black truck but maybe it is time for something else. This one I saw was a GMC, new plates big ol' chrome tail pipe, looked lifted but not sure. He is around my area of business so I am going to keep a look out and talk to him about it and maybe a get a pic. It is nice.

Luv the new body style!:iagree: :eek:

JupiterSunsation
02-23-2010, 11:05 PM
The chevy dlr changed it so you are probably right!!
They tried to say my excess idleing warm up. Shoulda known better.

To reset it, turn ignition on but don't start the engine and within 10 seconds press the gas pedal to the floor 5 times. OIL LIFE RESET will flash on dash display if you did it right.

fund razor
02-24-2010, 07:20 AM
I noticed this on mine not long ago. Put new batteries on it in the fall. Some where during that time the engine hours reset, but it does not bother me just does not match the mileage which sucks. mine is a 2005. I forget if that motor is the LBZ or LLY I get confused. :confused:

I have only known this stuff for about thirty days, so not trying to play expert here.... but you have an "early LLY" since it is a 2005. You have a few different internals. The 2006 LLY was essentially the same as the LBZ, and the ECM can be told to be act like an LBZ.

A couple of the guys here on serious turned me on to the diesel place and it has been an amazing resource. They have independent sections for each different version, so you can read and post issues related to your specific build. Here is yours:
http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=40

Knot 4 Me
02-24-2010, 09:29 AM
I noticed this on mine not long ago. Put new batteries on it in the fall. Some where during that time the engine hours reset, but it does not bother me just does not match the mileage which sucks. mine is a 2005. I forget if that motor is the LBZ or LLY I get confused. :confused:All 2005's are LLY's. The LLY debuted in mid-season 2004. I had a 2004.5 LLY.

Knot 4 Me
02-24-2010, 09:30 AM
To reset it, turn ignition on but don't start the engine and within 10 seconds press the gas pedal to the floor 5 times. OIL LIFE RESET will flash on dash display if you did it right.All of my GM's are 3 depressions of the gas peddle to reset oil life monitor.

JupiterSunsation
03-03-2010, 06:30 PM
All of my GM's are 3 depressions of the gas peddle to reset oil life monitor.

I suspect you are right but I just got in the habit of 5 times to make sure it reset! :D

sledge
03-03-2010, 07:42 PM
My '99 was 5 but my '01 was 3. I guess they figured people finally realized you don't have to "pump it a few times" before you start it...:D