PDA

View Full Version : Got Myself a Birthday Present Today

hotjava66
02-19-2010, 04:23 PM
:bday:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:bday::party::cheers2:
Got the call today, everything a go. Im freakin excited, and on my birthday too. Wish it was summer now. Will post pics and details when I go for the survey next week.

chrisk
02-19-2010, 04:54 PM
Congrats! Happy Birthday
Now put that fun run on your calendar!

wieland77
02-19-2010, 05:32 PM
What did you end up picking up??

stormrider
02-19-2010, 05:56 PM
Happy Bday!!!
And x2 what wieland asked.

LittleDcsRodShop
02-19-2010, 06:38 PM
Congratulations !!! Pics.. pics.. we need pics...

hotjava66
02-19-2010, 07:13 PM
here is an old pic, hope to have it back in this shape by summer, (and myself too lol) ill post some current pics next week after the survey

jdub
02-19-2010, 10:50 PM
Congrats man.....looked like a good deal. I'm sure she'll survey fine. Damn how long has it been since this many 28's where bought and sold in such a short time frame?

hotjava66
02-24-2010, 06:29 PM
Just got back from the survey, looks pretty good. Hull is dry and solid, engines drives and rigging look good. Surveyor found a few little things like minor leaks, couple of bad clamps, and such but nothing I cant fix in short order. Looks like I will probably move forward with the deal. It does need some TLC and I could use some input from you guys on where to get stuff, how to go about it. Here is a list of what I need to do.

1. Get the gelcoat and paint cleaned up and shiny again, the hull sides arent too bad but the top deck and rails are pretty dull. What is the best way to get a good gloss and what products are good?
2. Need new guages and indicators, they are just weathered and old, and I would like to put colored bezels on them. Any good sources?
3. Good thorough cleaning of the vinyl, its pretty grungy. I will probably replace it eventually it is origional to the boat and about done, but I would like to get a couple more seasons first.
4. Clean carpet and upholstery, I can handle this :)
5. Swim platform paint is toast, need to sandblast or remove it, and repaint it. Any tips here, it is aluminum tube.

Long term I want to eventually upgrade the motors a bit, maybe to 500-550 per side with EFI I hope. Also need to run it and see what it does with the current props, it has 25P Mirage 3 blades on it, seems to me like not enough prop for 502's at 420HPish. Have to get it on the water and see first, then maybe I will try some updated or labbed props. What is everyone else running with a similar setup? Could also use some tips on trim and tab settings to save some learning time if anyone can help there. I will try to post some pics I took today, they arent that great because its indoors and not a lot of room.

hotjava66
02-24-2010, 06:38 PM
pics

POWERPLAY33
02-24-2010, 06:56 PM
Where are you in Michigan? Yes it's aluminum easy blast and paint. I use and reccomend Wizards products for rubbing and polishing... nice ride! I saw it for sale a long time ago but already had a boat at the time.

MarylandMark
02-24-2010, 06:59 PM
:cheers2:

hotjava66
02-24-2010, 08:06 PM
Where are you in Michigan? Yes it's aluminum easy blast and paint. I use and reccomend Wizards products for rubbing and polishing... nice ride! I saw it for sale a long time ago but already had a boat at the time.

Bay City area, I will probably come down to LSC for a run or function this summer, what are the good ones?

bigboat28
02-24-2010, 08:16 PM
Congrats very nice

sonicss31
02-24-2010, 08:23 PM
Congrats looks nice, lot of people here swear by Leverage for the polish.

BRD
02-24-2010, 08:30 PM
Long term I want to eventually upgrade the motors a bit, maybe to 500-550 per side with EFI I hope. Also need to run it and see what it does with the current props, it has 25P Mirage 3 blades on it, seems to me like not enough prop for 502's at 420HPish. Have to get it on the water and see first, then maybe I will try some updated or labbed props. What is everyone else running with a similar setup? Could also use some tips on trim and tab settings to save some learning time if anyone can help there. I will try to post some pics I took today, they arent that great because its indoors and not a lot of room.

You will definately want to put some new props on her ... but you mite as well wait untill you repower .

Don't get too caught up in anybody else's trim and tab settings ... with a little seat time you will be able to "feel" where you need to be with trim , tabs , ect ........... You won't need to use tabs much unless your really flyin it in a following sea ............ some in a head sea ...... but not as much ..... like I said ....... you'll feel it in your seat pretty easy ! ENJOY and congrats !

hotjava66
02-24-2010, 08:59 PM
BTW if anyone has the magazine article with this boat and would be willing to part with it I would love a copy, or even a good color scan I can reprint and frame. Enhanced power is definately a ways down the road unless this damned economy picks up so prop change might come soon if it needs it. I will check out Leverage, although I think the deck may be beyond polish, I may have to wet sand it and have someone who knows what they are doing wheel it out, me and polishers dont mix lol.

jdub
02-24-2010, 09:10 PM
Looking good....:cheers2: After you get some base line numbers you might want to consider some -1" or -2" shorties and labbed 4 blade props. I'm sure it could benefit from a higher X and some more modern props. Those motors have low hours correct?

hotjava66
02-24-2010, 09:30 PM
Looking good....:cheers2: After you get some base line numbers you might want to consider some -1" or -2" shorties and labbed 4 blade props. I'm sure it could benefit from a higher X and some more modern props. Those motors have low hours correct?

yes, somewhere around 40hrs, I havent gotten the paperwork on the build yet but they were done and rigged by Chief, built to basically stock 502 mag specs im told

LotoSteve
02-25-2010, 12:17 AM
Just got back from the survey, looks pretty good. Hull is dry and solid, engines drives and rigging look good. Surveyor found a few little things like minor leaks, couple of bad clamps, and such but nothing I cant fix in short order. Looks like I will probably move forward with the deal. It does need some TLC and I could use some input from you guys on where to get stuff, how to go about it. Here is a list of what I need to do.

1. Get the gelcoat and paint cleaned up and shiny again, the hull sides arent too bad but the top deck and rails are pretty dull. What is the best way to get a good gloss and what products are good?
2. Need new guages and indicators, they are just weathered and old, and I would like to put colored bezels on them. Any good sources?
3. Good thorough cleaning of the vinyl, its pretty grungy. I will probably replace it eventually it is origional to the boat and about done, but I would like to get a couple more seasons first.
5. Swim platform paint is toast, need to sandblast or remove it, and repaint it. Any tips here, it is aluminum tube.

Wet sanding, a good variable speed buffer, and 3M cutter/polish will shine her back up like new. It takes awhile but the outcome is well worth the labor.

Best prices I know of for Auto Meter Gauges

http://www.egauges.com/vdo_marM.asp

You can probably get the platform sandblasted and powdercoated locally for around $200.

Not apples to apples but the 28 apache I used to own had freshened 502 efi's (415 hp) and the best props I found were the old style 25p, 3b mirage, not the mirage+. They put the boat right at 5100-5200 rpm.

I never made an offer on it but at one time I was seriouly thinking of buying this boat maybe 5-6 years ago. Timing was just wrong at the time.

Sweet Saber. Congrats!

chrisk
02-25-2010, 10:25 AM
Eric, CONGRATS! Like i said before i am really excited for you!
Put that wiener run on your calendar - would be cool to get a few of these sabers together!
http://www.lakesideyachtclub.com/Pages/PokerRuns.aspx

wieland77
02-25-2010, 03:47 PM
Eric, CONGRATS! Like i said before i am really excited for you!
Put that wiener run on your calendar - would be cool to get a few of these sabers together!
http://www.lakesideyachtclub.com/Pages/PokerRuns.aspx

I think it would be great to have these boats together for a run like that, as long as you guys dont mind waiting for me to catch up:)

It will be great to have another Saber in town also, congrats! MIKE

chrisk
02-25-2010, 03:54 PM
Mike, love you boat - i followed a thread somewhere when you repainted it. I think that fun run would be a lot of fun and a great value - i already signed up and home to see both you guys at the run!

LEOPAJM
02-25-2010, 04:40 PM
Guys ...... ya know ..... technically ...... Scott should be done with theyella one by then too !?!??!? Someone get on that boy !!! Would love to see that one up here again as well !!!

LittleDcsRodShop
02-25-2010, 05:03 PM
Guys ...... ya know ..... technically ...... Scott should be done with theyella one by then too !?!??!? Someone get on that boy !!! Would love to see that one up here again as well !!!

You & me both !!!!! You know how that "technical" stuff can be..

chrisk
02-25-2010, 05:06 PM
Scott - would love to see your boat up here too!!

Jerry - I hope to see your 41 at one of these runs or the islands this summer too. I was privileged enough to be on it a few years ago while we tied up at our lunch stop at Geneva at a fun run out of mentor. What an AMAZING boat it is, would LOVE to see it again someday!!

hotjava66
02-25-2010, 08:36 PM
got some ideas on the dash today, called livorsi and they can redo the gauges, pretty resonable compared to new. now ive gotta figure out what i can do with the drive/trim indicators and switches and their mounts. they are different size than the ones livorsi has. anyone know of aftermarket ones that are the same size as the stock ones? its kind of a pain not having it here to look at, i might have to bring it home earlier than i planned. ready to get to work on it, since work is so damn slow i have too much time to think about it.

LotoSteve
02-25-2010, 09:23 PM
http://www.mercruiserparts.com/Show_Pictures3.asp?dnbr=898115&ivar=images/COMMON/15107.png&inbr=11851&bnbr=95&bdesc=Trim+Position+Indicator+%281+Cable%29

Call Bam.

jdub
02-25-2010, 09:27 PM
You & me both !!!!! You know how that "technical" stuff can be..

Pick me up on the way and I'll pay for the gas :driving:

LittleDcsRodShop
02-25-2010, 10:02 PM
Pick me up on the way and I'll pay for the gas :driving:

Hey Bud now that sounds like a pretty good deal.. Now I just have to work out the rest.. The one thing I can gaurantee is that if it dont make it, it wont be for lack of effort !!

LEOPAJM
02-26-2010, 01:08 PM
Scott - would love to see your boat up here too!!

Jerry - I hope to see your 41 at one of these runs or the islands this summer too. I was privileged enough to be on it a few years ago while we tied up at our lunch stop at Geneva at a fun run out of mentor. What an AMAZING boat it is, would LOVE to see it again someday!!

Thanks man ! We will be there !

LittleDcsRodShop
02-26-2010, 02:15 PM

In the upper right hand photo is where I will ride if I'm not floating by then..:driving::ack2:

jdub
02-26-2010, 02:31 PM

Hey Jerry I remember seeing your boat in those stages when I flew to MI....must have been about 4 years ago...to look at another 28 Saber before I bought the one I had. I stopped by the factory and saw that beast laid up in there. Needless to say I was very impressed :sifone:

jdub
02-26-2010, 02:33 PM
Hey Bud now that sounds like a pretty good deal.. Now I just have to work out the rest.. The one thing I can gaurantee is that if it dont make it, it wont be for lack of effort !!

Well get to work because I'm serious....seriously:)

LEOPAJM
02-26-2010, 03:38 PM
:sifone:Scott I will get ya out for a ride ... but you gotta get yours done and here buddy !!!!

chrisk
02-26-2010, 03:59 PM
Sweet!

LittleDcsRodShop
02-26-2010, 04:01 PM
:sifone:Scott I will get ya out for a ride ... but you gotta get yours done and here buddy !!!!

Great shot of the boat !!!

If you need my list & address, We will both (me & the boat) make it !! Haha

chrisk
02-26-2010, 04:03 PM
those livorsi gauges would look sweet in my 28 - especially with that saber logo!

LittleDcsRodShop
02-26-2010, 04:47 PM
That is a Sweet dash indeed !!! ;)

I have a feeling that pics. do it no justice..

chrisk
02-26-2010, 05:02 PM
not even close... same with WW all the pics you see on here do it no justice

LittleDcsRodShop
02-26-2010, 05:10 PM
not even close... same with WW all the pics you see on here do it no justice

Any true Hotrod is that way in my opinion... They have to be experianced in the flesh.. Even the downsized version of these bad boys..:cool:

When I bought mine I already had all my ducks in a row before making the trip.. I just wanted to make sure it looked like it did in the pics. (condition wise) & I gotta say that It was a done deal in the first minute after arriving.. pics did it no justice.. imho..

Disturbed35cafe
02-26-2010, 09:58 PM
Congratz!.. I can't wait to see it out here on the bay. Psyco Customs on Huron Rd. (13) sand blasted and powder coated my swim platform.

QUOTE=hotjava66;446517]Just got back from the survey, looks pretty good. Hull is dry and solid, engines drives and rigging look good. Surveyor found a few little things like minor leaks, couple of bad clamps, and such but nothing I cant fix in short order. Looks like I will probably move forward with the deal. It does need some TLC and I could use some input from you guys on where to get stuff, how to go about it. Here is a list of what I need to do.

Long term I want to eventually upgrade the motors a bit, maybe to 500-550 per side with EFI I hope. Also need to run it and see what it does with the current props, it has 25P Mirage 3 blades on it, seems to me like not enough prop for 502's at 420HPish. Have to get it on the water and see first, then maybe I will try some updated or labbed props. What is everyone else running with a similar setup? Could also use some tips on trim and tab settings to save some learning time if anyone can help there. I will try to post some pics I took today, they arent that great because its indoors and not a lot of room.[/QUOTE]

hotjava66
02-26-2010, 10:25 PM
Congratz!.. I can't wait to see it out here on the bay. Psyco Customs on Huron Rd. (13) sand blasted and powder coated my swim platform.

Good idea, i never thought about Jerrod and John, i will have to give them a call

Disturbed35cafe
02-27-2010, 01:18 PM

Good idea, i never thought about Jerrod and John, i will have to give them a call

Before you have them put a non skid surface talk to me. They did a good job, I see a better way for them to do the non skid

hotjava66
03-03-2010, 07:18 PM
Well, as of today I am officially a Saber owner, title is in my hand and deal is done. Now the weather just needs to warm up enough so I can bring her home and start giving her a makeover. I am now in full spring fever mode, need warm weather, and some work! Got a new trailer being built too, gonna sell the old one, too long for the boat. This is gonna be trouble, lol, I just dont know when to quit!

boatme
03-03-2010, 08:02 PM
the 16 Donzi in your pics is mine.
The dually pickup truck in the shop where your boat is was mine I just sold it

You have bought a great boat, enjoy

slpcamaross97
03-03-2010, 11:47 PM
Well, as of today I am officially a Saber owner, title is in my hand and deal is done. Now the weather just needs to warm up enough so I can bring her home and start giving her a makeover. I am now in full spring fever mode, need warm weather, and some work! Got a new trailer being built too, gonna sell the old one, too long for the boat. This is gonna be trouble, lol, I just dont know when to quit!

AHHHH FICK..... IM so left out now. Dam. I need to pull the tirgger on something and quick. DAM job market.........

Congrats. Im sure you will love and bet you got a great deal on it.

POWERPLAY33
03-04-2010, 12:08 AM
We always have something going on, but I'll know alot more as summer comes. We usually do a few runs between about 30 of us and a few pokerruns here and there...

slpcamaross97
03-10-2010, 11:03 AM
Before you have them put a non skid surface talk to me. They did a good job, I see a better way for them to do the non skid

I have talked to a few of the FL boys and they say that power coat dont stick to the plaftorms that great. and that paint holds up way better.