PDA

View Full Version : Battery back up

captain55
02-16-2010, 10:23 PM
I have a 24' Sport with one battery under the hatch which is controlled by a Lenco electric jack. If the battery dies or the Lenco dies, I am in trouble. The hinges would be hard to remove and the lenco is still connected. How long will a Lenco last? Should I replace it? Pepe told me that I can provide power to the Lenco by connecting a low amp 12V source to the terminal block. Is it simply connecting the positive wire of a small battery charger to the positive side of the terminal and the negative wire to the negative side (ground)? Lastly, since the battery is close to the panel under the back seat can I wire the battery to external terminals just under the back seat? I once saw this in a California boat. Who makes these? Captain55

JFM
02-16-2010, 10:35 PM
I had a 24 outlaw with the same problem. I bought this lenco bracket so I could lift the hatch enough to unhook the lift arm. Top left corner of the page click on it. Just an option so you don't have to get involved in the wires. http://www.lencomarine.com/hatchlifts.html

stormrider
02-17-2010, 10:25 AM
How about installing a second battery, and then putting the battery switch under the rear seat?

IIRC, my battery died, and i hooked a trickle charger to the hatch switch under the dash, which got it going again.

Ziemer
02-17-2010, 03:24 PM
I've had the ram quit on mine (some of the wiring was corroded) and I had to pull the bolts out of the hinges so it's not impossible.

What I've done since, was permanently mounted a 2-bank battery charger under the back seat, therefore in case the batteries are ever completely dead, I can put them on charge.

Griff
02-18-2010, 02:50 AM
There were several times on my 28 that I just applied power to the hatch switch behind the dash because the battery that opened the hatch was dead. Not a big deal at all.

insanity
02-18-2010, 04:12 AM
I had a 24 outlaw with the same problem. I bought this lenco bracket so I could lift the hatch enough to unhook the lift arm. Top left corner of the page click on it. Just an option so you don't have to get involved in the wires. http://www.lencomarine.com/hatchlifts.html

Wouldn't you hatch bounce around some due to the slot in the mount?

Griff
02-18-2010, 03:03 PM
I can tell you that a 24 Outlaw hatch is very heavy and his probably did not move much, if at all. Pantera hatches are very light in comparison.

captain55
02-18-2010, 10:03 PM
Thanx for the advice. Does the rocker switch have just two wires? What are the colors and which gets the positive (red) wire of the charger? I have a 2 amp charger, a 10 amp charger and a portable jump starter that must have majors amps. Which one is best and safest? Captain55

Buoy
02-18-2010, 10:42 PM
I can tell you that a 24 Outlaw hatch is very heavy and his probably did not move much, if at all. Pantera hatches are very light in comparison.

Damn!! Great idea.

Griff
02-18-2010, 11:44 PM
Thanx for the advice. Does the rocker switch have just two wires? What are the colors and which gets the positive (red) wire of the charger? I have a 2 amp charger, a 10 amp charger and a portable jump starter that must have majors amps. Which one is best and safest? Captain55

10 amps should be fine, but I don't think the jump box would hurt it either. A jump box is just a battery pack and its won't force the amps through. Just get a piece wire about 3' long with alligator clips on each end and attach one end the carger or jump pack and then touch the hot wire connection on the back of the switch with the other end. You will here/see the hatch lift.

The power wire to the switch is most likely red.

captain55
02-19-2010, 10:23 AM
Sorry to be so slow but I am cautious with electrical and fuses. OK red to red. Black to any ground or on other side of switch? I do carry extra fuses. You guys are great. Captain55

JO - PANTERABOAT
02-19-2010, 12:09 PM
Gary, "IF" it ever dies on you I will personally drive over to your house and take care of it for you.If the original battery is still there it is time to possibly replace it.

Jo

captain55
02-20-2010, 04:22 PM
Jo, you are always welcome at my house not just to jump a switch. I replaced the battery twice already just to be safe. It never died. The Lenco is the original, 7 years old. I worry about electric motors in the salt air. So far all is perfect but I am a cautious man. Never towed in in seven years - Captain55

JO - PANTERABOAT
02-20-2010, 04:51 PM
I am glad to know that after 7 years the boat has been trouble free for you. I will stop by one of these days while out testing in the bay. I will give you a call first.

Regards,

JO

JAIME
02-21-2010, 04:05 PM
captain 55, nice boat i never seen that one before. any more pictures?

captain55
02-22-2010, 02:08 PM
I will post a few pics later. I was out yesterday in 2' chop on Florida bay and saw 58 mph on GPS with a Bimini top up. I usually see 62 with the top down. A boat like this with the new lightweight 4.2 liter Yamaha 300 hp would surely run 66 mph. Captaimn55

Dude! Sweet!
02-25-2010, 11:20 PM
There were several times on my 28 that I just applied power to the hatch switch behind the dash because the battery that opened the hatch was dead. Not a big deal at all.

I too have applied power to the hatch switch on your (old) 28 to open the hatch after I let the batteries die. And now it's Chris's turn! :sifone: