PDA

View Full Version : 22 classic

HaxbySpeed
02-11-2010, 12:12 AM
A buddy just restored a 22 classic and I built a little 383 for him. He switched from an alpha to Bravo and I told him since he's doing the transom and stringers anyway he should raise his X 1-1/2" or 2". He was nervous about going too high so he only went an inch... I put the drive on for him at the shop and his cav plate is 3" above the bottom of the hull. He swears he only raised it 1" though. Anyway.. Got any suggestions for a prop? I've got Mirage's, B1's, and a REV 4 to try. It would be cool if we can make it work without a spacer. 1.5 ratio 400hp. Thanks, Alex

Lakeside
02-11-2010, 09:29 AM
Possibly a modded B1, Hydromotive, or if he went too high maybe a modded Maximus.. However the 22c usually runs best with a 3 blade Mirage+ or a modded B1 or Hydromotive 4blade.. The Maximus with 5 blades will be a bit of an unknown, but should have more bite & has more diameter to help grab. One other shot in the dark would be a 4 blade 25p Revolution 4 Merc blade. It is kind of like a 4 blade mirage +...

Or your other option if you don't want to re-prop is to space the drive back down with Imco drive spacers.. I have used them in the past on occasion & they have worked well..

Either way trying props or spacers will be a little bit of trial & error until you get it dialed in. If you can get a prop to lock up well, the higher drive height may give you a speed & handling benefit.

I hope this helps.. :)

Jamie / Lakeside

HaxbySpeed
02-11-2010, 09:40 AM
Thanks Jamie, I've had good luck on the 22's at 2" but i've never tried 3. I was looking at the REV 4 I've got in the shop it hasn't worked on anything I've tried yet, it just grabs too hard. Maybe it'll work on this, I'll try a few props next week and let you know how it goes. If I can make it work I'd rather have him put the money towards a good prop instead of a spacer. We'll see what happens. Thanks again.. :cheers2:

Lakeside
02-11-2010, 11:19 AM
Sounds good.. Keep me posted :) J

VetteLT193
02-11-2010, 11:37 AM
what year is the 22? there were certain years, 1987 for example, where the X was already a little over an inch higher.

It is tough to go too high because the engine hits. Big block will touch with a short air cleaner at 1" up so I can't imagine you are too far from there.

With the 1" raise I hate the Mirage + for general use because it gets on plane like crap. It blows out the prop and it isn't a minor blow out it is a stop and start over blowout. Best top speed though so far...

The Hydromotive 4 blade cleaver style works well. responds to trim really well too. Not the best top speed but awesome cruising, handling, and planing.

I might try a Bravo 1 next time I'm out. I don't think it is the correct size though so it's a crap shoot.

A guy on Donzi registry has a nearly identical boat to what you have... he moved weight aft to help with handling. 22's like the weight of the BB over the SB for some reason.

HaxbySpeed
02-11-2010, 12:31 PM
I think it is an 87.. That might explain things.. A big block would definitely not fit under the hatch at this height, this one just fits.. Thanks for the info.

VetteLT193
02-11-2010, 03:19 PM
Yes, it was already up then...

Here my '87 with a Merc HP 500. note the air cleaner is different... because the stock 500 filter is an inch too tall. this one barely rubs even after scouring for the flattest bolt to minimize the problem. the CMI's barely rub too.

I doubt I would even try a 3 blade if you are another inch up. Bravo 1 might work best if you add cup... I think at that drive height and weight distribution you might have a hard time carrying the nose.