PDA

View Full Version : Downturn tailpipes (mufflers)

Steve Miklos
11-19-2008, 02:51 PM
I am thinking about giving my nieghbors a break (after 25 years!) Anyone have feed back on the downturn tailpipes over a long period of time?
540 engine CMI full length headers dry tails
cam
292/297 .672 lift 107/117 centerline
Thanks
Steve

RumRunner
11-20-2008, 01:38 PM
Who are you? And what have you done to Steve????

straightpriority
11-20-2008, 01:44 PM
efff... your neighbors!!!!!!!!!!!!

OldSchool
11-20-2008, 02:28 PM
I took the "donkey dong" mufflers off of my boat (per my wife's request) I believe that the actual quote was "would you take those phucking things off?" She's awesome!!:sifone:

Seriously :rofl:, they were on the boat for less that 6 weeks. Every time that we would go to dock at a bar or restaurant, about 2/3rds of the engine hatch would be soaked from the water bubbling and splashing up on there. Momma's pant's would get all wet when she would climb back there to attach lines. That didn't make her happy! They don't really enforce the noise laws in MD (I'm at 110db+), if they did and I had to put them back on, I would try to figure out something to prevent the splashing. Maybe some plexiglass attached to the underside of the swim platform??

The pros of having them was being able to talk while running....Who wants that??????

Sea-Dated
11-20-2008, 03:09 PM
It is nice to have WP that does not care about noise.

Hopefully ours will stay that way for a while..

Holy Smokes
11-20-2008, 06:08 PM
I took the "donkey dong" mufflers off of my boat (per my wife's request) I believe that the actual quote was "would you take those phucking things off?" She's awesome!!:sifone:

Seriously :rofl:, they were on the boat for less that 6 weeks. Every time that we would go to dock at a bar or restaurant, about 2/3rds of the engine hatch would be soaked from the water bubbling and splashing up on there. Momma's pant's would get all wet when she would climb back there to attach lines. That didn't make her happy! They don't really enforce the noise laws in MD (I'm at 110db+), if they did and I had to put them back on, I would try to figure out something to prevent the splashing. Maybe some plexiglass attached to the underside of the swim platform??

The pros of having them was being able to talk while running....Who wants that??????

hey Oldschool - do you still have the turn-downs? I need to take the "bark" out of my dry exhaust.

OldSchool
11-20-2008, 07:11 PM
hey Oldschool - do you still have the turn-downs? I need to take the "bark" out of my dry exhaust.

No, I sold them a while back

Steve Miklos
11-29-2008, 09:57 AM
Thanks everyone!
I compromised and am dumping a small amount of water in the tailpipe. That seems to take the loud crack that echo's of the seawalls out!
Steve

Joe
11-29-2008, 01:37 PM
I have them for my 1075 boat.... and the look GREAT in the box on the shelf ------- where they have been since they were fitted, tested and then removed!!!!

FYI - seriously though, they do work great and would recommend them to anyone.... no horsepower robbing etc.... and still give you great "quietness" while idling.