PDA

View Full Version : Special Request

Top Banana
02-08-2010, 04:39 PM
HORBA has a special request.

We were contacted by someone who is looking to locate a special boat.

The boat was a 38 foot Bertram originally called COPPER KETTLE.

It was owned and driven by Sandy Satullo. The boat was owned and campaigned later by Arnold Glass and Paul Clauser. Glass left the name alone, but Clauser renamed it SATISFACTION.

The original throttleman and someone close to him would like to find this boat again....if it still out there.

Anyone who can help us find this boat, please send the information to us by posting on here or e-mail directly to HORBA at www.historicraceboats.com

cigdaze
02-08-2010, 05:34 PM
Perhaps one of the two gentlemen with 38's in this thread?...
http://www.seriousoffshore.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7168

Black Tornado
02-08-2010, 06:14 PM
HORBA has a special request.

We were contacted by someone who is looking to locate a special boat.

The boat was a 38 foot Bertram originally called COPPER KETTLE.

It was owned and driven by Sandy Satullo. The boat was owned and campaigned later by Arnold Glass and Paul Clauser. Glass left the name alone, but Clauser renamed it SATISFACTION.

Must add that after the Satisfaction that boat became FLAP JACK for Howard Quam in 1980-82.

Black Tornado
02-08-2010, 06:18 PM
Perhaps one of the two gentlemen with 38's in this thread?...
http://www.seriousoffshore.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7168

None of those boats was the former Copper Kettle.
That in the post # 1 and # 6 should be the former Needle Nose.
Phil Lewis could confirm it.
That in the post # 5 is the former Natural Light of Henn.

FastDonzi
02-08-2010, 06:42 PM
When I worked for Trick Paint in Miami 1983-86 (in the same building as Target Trailer, 53rd st) We had that boat in the shop, I think Donald (Rossi) the owner of Trick Paint Owned the boat at that time. I don't know where it went after that, but it very well could have changed colors then.

NNRT
02-08-2010, 08:09 PM
Marco - the boat in post #1 - was Sandy Satullo's orriginal boat made for him - it was the first Bertram made of Kevlar, and was laid up too heavily - thus was strong - but a very heavy boat - My boat in Post # 6 - in the other threat "with Kurt's MUG SHOT" is my boat that was built for me.

Scott H.
02-08-2010, 08:36 PM
Last I Heard it is being restored in Canada

BUIZILLA
02-08-2010, 08:47 PM
When I worked for Trick Paint in Miami 1983-86 (in the same building as Target Trailer, 53rd st) Target Trailer was on 56 st next to Milans Machine Shop..

FastDonzi
02-08-2010, 10:40 PM
Target Trailer was on 56 st next to Milans Machine Shop..

53rd 56th what ever it takes, (it was 25 years ago)

Black Tornado
02-09-2010, 01:24 AM
Marco - the boat in post #1 - was Sandy Satullo's orriginal boat made for him - it was the first Bertram made of Kevlar, and was laid up too heavily - thus was strong - but a very heavy boat - My boat in Post # 6 - in the other threat "with Kurt's MUG SHOT" is my boat that was built for me.

Yes Phil,obvious in post # 1 is not your boat.
I refer to post # 1 in the other thread.

dammmagnum
02-09-2010, 01:59 AM
53rd 56th what ever it takes, (it was 25 years ago)

Fast Donzi

What ever happened to Target Trailer?
I had heard they moved to Ohio?
i got a trailer from them for my 27 Magnum Sport in 1977
Thank you
Jim

Bobby Sheer
02-09-2010, 06:59 AM
Howard Quams FLAP JACK, was the boat that Smiley Johns was killed in, during the Turnberry race, in '81, I believe. Phils boat NEEDLE NOSE, was sold to Don Smith of Chicago, REALLY RIDICULOUS, David Gilmore and I ran that boat.

NNRT
02-09-2010, 07:26 AM
Right Bobby - do you need any cool snow down there in Sunny Florida ? only 18 inches last weekend, probably another 12 tonight -

Phil

Bobby Sheer
02-09-2010, 09:14 AM
Hey Phil. I was up there weekend before last. Delivered an oversize Pursuit to Cape Cod. Spent three days in a truck stop in Va. 18" of snow and a German Sheperd. God, I hate the cold. Are you coming down for Miami show?

skrap
02-09-2010, 09:41 AM
Hey Phil,
How about we meet for lunch tomorrow...in Miami with Bobby! We probably couldn't get down there at this point anyway. Get your shovel ready. We'll hook up after the snow passes.
John

Black Tornado
02-09-2010, 10:19 AM
Howard Quams FLAP JACK, was the boat that Smiley Johns was killed in, during the Turnberry race, in '81, I believe. Phils boat NEEDLE NOSE, was sold to Don Smith of Chicago, REALLY RIDICULOUS, David Gilmore and I ran that boat.

Miles Johns is that greets in the picture.
The race was not in 1981 but the former Sam Griffith Memorial-the Bacardi Trophy off Miami in 1980.

Bobby Sheer
02-09-2010, 11:07 AM
Could be 1980, race was run out of Turnberry Isle. Flap Jack broke a steering ram, spun out. Howard and his son Lester were thrown out, but Smiley was so big, he was stuck in the bolster, and broke his neck. His wife was in labor that very day. Everybody that finished in the money, (including me) donated their prize money to his widow. Smiley was a great guy and a great competitor.

NNRT
02-09-2010, 11:57 AM
John - would be fun - however I need practice with my snow blower! -
Bobby - I know how it feels- Cabin Fever is terrible - You are lucky - you get to swim every day - lounge around the pool -! haha ! Hope you are well Bobby - and John - stay out of trouble !

Phil

Top Banana
02-09-2010, 12:24 PM
Last I Heard it is being restored in Canada

Scott.....can you get any more specific?

How long ago did you hear this and do you know the people involved in the restoration?

Does anyone know how to get a hold of these people in Canada?

Scott H.
02-09-2010, 05:14 PM
It was about 2 years ago. I will look back at my notes and see if I can get more info for you

hammerhead
02-11-2010, 12:00 AM
How about Dr. Robert Gingold plastic surgeon in North Miami, he was involved with copper kettle (36 CIG) back then,he is still in private practice on 125st i think.

Mike A.
02-11-2010, 12:11 AM
Could be 1980, race was run out of Turnberry Isle. Flap Jack broke a steering ram, spun out. Howard and his son Lester were thrown out, but Smiley was so big, he was stuck in the bolster, and broke his neck. His wife was in labor that very day. Everybody that finished in the money, (including me) donated their prize money to his widow. Smiley was a great guy and a great competitor.

Smiley was my dad's T-Man and my idol. Very sad day for me when he passed away.

Bobby Sheer
02-11-2010, 08:14 AM
Smiley was my dad's T-Man and my idol. Very sad day for me when he passed away.

I remember Smiley running with your dad, tough combo, to beat.

Mike A.
02-11-2010, 09:36 AM
I remember Smiley running with your dad, tough combo, to beat.

All of you guys in those little "P" and "M" boats were badasses. I think I have some pics of your 27' Sport somewhere, but your black and gold Maltese was my favorite back then. Beautiful boat.

FastDonzi
02-11-2010, 09:58 AM
I Remember being about 10yrs old Riding in Bobby's Magnum down in the keys at the Sunset Inn.

Bobby Sheer
02-12-2010, 02:15 PM
I Remember being about 10yrs old Riding in Bobby's Magnum down in the keys at the Sunset Inn.

If you could go back to the Sunset Inn and start over, would you do anything differently?

FastDonzi
02-12-2010, 05:02 PM
If you could go back to the Sunset Inn and start over, would you do anything differently?

I'd change some choices I made after the Sunset Inn, But Nothing about the times Hangin out down there, Seeing Brownie & Gilmore Water ski is priceless...

Bobby Sheer
02-13-2010, 07:57 AM
I'd change some choices I made after the Sunset Inn, But Nothing about the times Hangin out down there, Seeing Brownie & Gilmore Water ski is priceless...

I was with Gilmore in Chicago one when he was dancing with a girl that literaly had a wooden leg, and being the smooth talker that he was, he talked her into taking the leg off, on the dance floor. Told her something about the Lyndy hop or whatever. Seeing those two water-ski had to be priceless. And pix or visual evidence. I'd pay good money or bad money to see that.

Bobby Sheer
02-14-2010, 11:07 AM
Saw Brownie at the show yesterday. Confirmed that he was water-skiing with Gilly. Heres the kicker, both at the same time, behind a nova. Must have had holmen-moody.

Ratickle
02-14-2010, 11:09 AM
Saw Brownie at the show yesterday. Confirmed that he was water-skiing with Gilly. Heres the kicker, both at the same time, behind a nova. Must have had holmen-moody.

Now that's a bit rough.....:sifone:

Bobby Sheer
02-15-2010, 08:06 AM
Now that's a bit rough.....:sifone:

Rough, here's rough. 1984 Miami Hotel, APBA National Awards Banquet for 1983 season. I win US 1 for modified class. We have large circular table, Gilly and his date are at our table. Along with two Secret Service Agents, (Michael Reagan was guest speaker). When the announcement was made that I had also won the Fireboy Award for top throttleman award, Gilly gets up on the table and starts to do his standard celebration jig, which means he drops his pants, ( no underware ), in the process he knocks over the centerpiece, which is an oil-bath candle, and sets the table on fire. Priceless !!! Had to see the expressions on the faces of the Agents. Really priceless !!!!

FastDonzi
02-15-2010, 08:17 AM
I Remember Errol Lanier telling a story of a Offshore party where Gilly (influinced by lanier) went out on the dance floor and Pee'd on someones shoes (could have been clauser) while they where dancing. sounds like you all had some REALLY Good times back then...

Bobby Sheer
02-15-2010, 09:09 AM
Saw Errol Saturday night at Paul Clauser Memorial in Ft. Laud. Did we have some great times---- you bet. Just wish I could remember them all. How have you been?

SHARKEY-IMAGES
03-13-2010, 03:45 PM
My boat in Post # 6 - in the other thread "with Kurt's MUG SHOT" is my boat that was built for me.

Let's get a visual on this..... :cheers2:

Photos provided by Phil NNRT

http://sharkeyimages.zenfolio.com/img/v7/p65667173.jpg

http://sharkeyimages.zenfolio.com/img/v6/p281778938.jpg

http://sharkeyimages.zenfolio.com/img/v8/p41210601.jpg

http://sharkeyimages.zenfolio.com/img/v2/p254256356.jpg

http://sharkeyimages.zenfolio.com/img/v3/p59182981.jpg

http://sharkeyimages.zenfolio.com/img/v5/p28869785-4.jpg

http://sharkeyimages.zenfolio.com/img/v6/p40201327-4.jpg

http://sharkeyimages.zenfolio.com/img/v0/p49413875-5.jpg

MarylandMark
03-13-2010, 04:39 PM
I Remember Errol Lanier telling a story of a Offshore party where Gilly (influinced by lanier) went out on the dance floor and Pee'd on someones shoes (could have been clauser) while they where dancing. sounds like you all had some REALLY Good times back then...

He must have been one tough SOB to pull that off!

Keep the stories coming, PLEASE!!

Ratickle
03-13-2010, 09:22 PM
Any luck locating the boat?

skrap
03-13-2010, 11:27 PM
The guy in the Needle Nose pictures looks just like the guy I had lunch with yesterday.

NNRT
03-14-2010, 08:14 PM
haha- Now I know you need your eyes Examined John - good seeing you - Thanks again -!

Phil

Tim - never knew you had those photos - brings back memories !

SHARKEY-IMAGES
03-14-2010, 08:21 PM
Tim - never knew you had those photos - brings back memories !
Some time ago you emailed them to me I think for posting on the other forum...
I held onto them ever since because they are serious history... :cheers2: