PDA

View Full Version : what drives are these 3 or 3a's?

speedfreak2030
02-06-2010, 11:01 AM
just found these what drives are these 3 or 3a's?

Chris
02-06-2010, 11:30 AM
3's. Small shafts.

speedfreak2030
02-06-2010, 11:37 AM
No good for me then?, still too weak? Would my TRS uppers work or only work with a speedy 2 They are on Ebay $2500 for the pr

DAREDEVIL
02-06-2010, 12:37 PM
No good for me then?, still too weak? Would my TRS uppers work or only work with a speedy 2 They are on Ebay $2500 for the pr

If i where u , i would get some #4's ..instead of #3s.

You are way to low in the water with the drives....they need to come up 5 inches then dial it in ...!!!!!!!!:cheers2:

Ratickle
02-06-2010, 12:49 PM
I'd personally go with Konrads for your change. Much easier (no transom work), replaces the weak links in the TRS drive configuration, and has adjustable heights.

After that, DD is correct almost, I'd go with 5's as a second choice. 5's give you the adjustable height. I don't believe 4's do.

DAREDEVIL
02-06-2010, 12:55 PM
I'd personally go with Konrads for your change. Much easier (no transom work), replaces the weak links in the TRS drive configuration, and has adjustable heights.

After that, DD is correct almost, I'd go with 5's as a second choice. 5's give you the adjustable height. I don't believe 4's do.

4's and 5' are both the same ..ecsept the 5's are a little stronger , but on a 30 foot boat the 4's are plenty, due to better dynamics on the lower ( less drag )

And u can stick the 5 propshaft in the 4's to give u more strength on that part.

The ratings are only 50 HP diffrents between a 4+5 !!!!
3,4+5 gimbals are diffrent but all work !!!!

Both of the 4+5 are limited to be dropped down 3 inches with spacers.
So i would mount them 1 inch above the bottom and start there, u can always space down,,,but can't cut them off !!!:sifone:

Ratickle
02-06-2010, 12:58 PM
4's and 5' are both the same ..ecsept the 5's are a little stronger , but on a 30 foot boat the 4's are plenty, due to better dynamics on the lower ( less drag )

And u can stick the 5 propshaft in the 4's to give u more strength on that part.

The ratings are only 50 HP diffrents between a 4+5 !!!!
3,4+5 gimbals are diffrent but all work !!!!

Both of the 4+5 are limited to be dropped down 3 inches with spacers.
So i would mount them 1 inch above the bottom and start there, u can always space down,,,but can't cut them off !!!:sifone:

Okay, I thought the 5's were the only height adjustable ones, (other than 6's).

DAREDEVIL
02-06-2010, 01:06 PM
Okay, I thought the 5's were the only height adjustable ones, (other than 6's).

If u look at a #4 or 5 side by side , with the #4 having a big shaft in it ....u could not tell the diferents between them unless u really know what you need to look at !!!!!

MOBILEMERCMAN
02-06-2010, 06:31 PM

Nothing is interchangeable between the # 2's and #3's except the small shaft props. Tailshaft and transom assembly are different.

I would get a good look at them. 2500 is only a good deal if the will hold gearlube. It is easy to spend that much again if they need work. Not all parts are available for them anymore.

Durability wise they would be fine on a 30 Velocity. I don't believe you can run the boat hard enough to hurt those drives.

On height, I would think the prop shafts down 3" would be close to where you want to be.

Chris
02-07-2010, 07:30 PM
I would get a good look at them. 2500 is only a good deal if the will hold gearlube. It is easy to spend that much again if they need work. Not all parts are available for them anymore.

Durability wise they would be fine on a 30 Velocity. I don't believe you can run the boat hard enough to hurt those drives.

If you've got gear and bearing problems inside you could drop ten grand plus into them in a hearbeat. $2500 won't get them reshimmed and resealed by nyone that knows what they're doing.

3's were rated at 750 hp. In a light boat you could put more into them with no problem.