PDA

View Full Version : Through-transom or through-hull pickups?

C_Spray
02-03-2010, 03:11 PM
What are the pros and cons of going through-transom versus through-hull? I can see with the transom system that adjusting water pressure should be a bit simpler by adjusting the height, but a through-hull system could make for shorter and simpler plumbing. Any comments or recommendations?

DAREDEVIL
02-03-2010, 04:13 PM
What are the pros and cons of going through-transom versus through-hull? I can see with the transom system that adjusting water pressure should be a bit simpler by adjusting the height, but a through-hull system could make for shorter and simpler plumbing. Any comments or recommendations?

Both work, depends on what boat and drive set up ! ....the thru transom sometimes squirls up the water for a single engine boat ,,so it would perform a little better with a thru hull. IMO, but in a pleasureboat, realy don't think it would matter.
Either way , as far down and back u can get it in ..the better it is !!!!

C_Spray
02-18-2010, 03:39 PM
Here's the hull. It will be a single installation of an Ilmor/Indy package, so the prop will be surfacing, and set back a good three feet from the transom. One problem is that the hull is 40% Kevlar, and the bottom is cored with Divinycell, so I'm a bit worried about getting a REALLY good bond around a through-hull pickup to prevent any delamination.

imco offshore
02-18-2010, 04:28 PM
is that a bat boat ??

C_Spray
02-18-2010, 09:44 PM
Yup. Good eye. While you're here, do you make 4" slip-in mufflers for dry pipes??

MERPerformance
02-20-2010, 06:45 PM
I did some thru hull pick-ups on a 33 Fountain, we had to install a square piece of plywood for backing for the pick-ups on the inside of the hull.

cougarman
02-20-2010, 09:19 PM

The new thing seems to be transom mounts but then they scallop the hull leading up to it,......technically there is nothing hanging below the hull then.........re-glassed and re-gel.........no delam problems for you to worry about then.

Johnny Tomlinson at TNT just did another boat here recently. Very nice work and works very well.

Jon

C_Spray
03-12-2010, 01:01 PM
is that a bat boat ??You'll be happy to know that, based on Bobby Moore's advice, I just ordered a 04-6040 adjustable pickup from you guys. I look forward to seeing it!

C_Spray
03-22-2010, 01:14 PM
Got it! Very nicely made piece, and shipped quickly. Thanks, IMCO!