PDA

View Full Version : Was Popeyes modified?

chewiekw
02-03-2010, 01:15 PM
Looking at these pictures was the front of Popeyes modified where the forks meet the deck?

glassdave
02-03-2010, 04:19 PM
two different boats maybe?

klaw
02-03-2010, 04:48 PM
first boat looks like the quad engine boat Copeland used to run and second looks like a different shorter boat

chewiekw
02-03-2010, 05:10 PM
No they are the same boat the looks to have been changed in the front for some reason.

Brownie i am sure would know...

FastDonzi
02-03-2010, 06:07 PM
Nope, Both the same boat, just a funky angle of the picture. I sanded the bottom of that thing for weeks to make it silky smooth.

(Little Brownie)

Chris
02-03-2010, 06:34 PM
I thought there was only one aluminum Cougar built for Copeland and that it was replaced with the Goetz cat.

The other big aluminum Cougar was Gentry's- the boat he replaced the wooden Arneson Cougar 48 with.

chewiekw
02-03-2010, 06:42 PM
its the same boat but seems to have had some work/changes done on the front end.

I found another picture that clearly shows the difference i will scan it in and upload it...

NNRT
02-03-2010, 06:48 PM
Camera angle can create an illusion - same boat - different angles -

Ryan Beckley
02-03-2010, 06:57 PM
Morales also had a 4 engine BIG Aluminum Cougar as well as Eric's Reality and Spirit of the Amazon.

This 50' Cougar "Popeyes" was sitting in Brick NJ at Lightning Jack's Marina awaiting a turbine conversion for many years.

It had a 4 person bubble windshield put on it. Chuck Norris won the OPT national title in it in 1990, I believe.

It looks to me like they added wing to the tunnel to increase tunnel compression.....

chewiekw
02-03-2010, 08:11 PM
Ryan you are right it looks like they added a longer deck between the 85 and 86 seasons...

Brownie
02-03-2010, 08:30 PM
Hell, I don't remember how many Cuba Libres I had last night. I thought that they just shortened the pickles.

FastDonzi
02-03-2010, 08:51 PM
Hell, I don't remember how many Cuban Libras I had last night. I thought that they just shortened the pickles.

There! I Fixed it....

(I'm going to try to come down and hang out for the week of the Miami race.)

Offshore Ginger
02-03-2010, 09:05 PM
I , have a great poster that is still rolled up in a tube of the Popeys boat that was made out of wood .

TMS1155
02-03-2010, 10:14 PM
Morales also had a 4 engine BIG Aluminum Cougar as well as Eric's Reality and Spirit of the Amazon.

This 50' Cougar "Popeyes" was sitting in Brick NJ at Lightning Jack's Marina awaiting a turbine conversion for many years.

It had a 4 person bubble windshield put on it. Chuck Norris won the OPT national title in it in 1990, I believe.

It looks to me like they added wing to the tunnel to increase tunnel compression.....

Still sitting there Nov 09

NNRT
02-04-2010, 05:34 AM
I believe the boat was also shortened - from the stern, foward - -boat is still there - at Lightning Jacks -

Phil

skrap
02-04-2010, 09:57 AM
Still rusting there.

John

Chris
02-04-2010, 10:01 AM
That's sad. It's a shame but it doesn't make economic sense to put one of these dinosaurs back on the water. I'm glad that the original Gentry Eagle at least made it into a museum.

Dude! Sweet!
02-04-2010, 11:41 AM
Anyone have photos of how it looks now?

TrippM
02-04-2010, 08:19 PM
Anyone have photos of how it looks now?

No photos but it didn't look too bad. All white now with Lightning Jacks on the side. Something about Turbine Class I believe.

chewiekw
02-04-2010, 10:19 PM
here is the last pic i have

FastDonzi
02-05-2010, 08:09 AM

Doesn't look too bad....

Gladhe8er
02-09-2010, 12:30 PM

I bought my Active Thunder out of the Lightning Jacks lot(they didn't own it). If I had known it was the old Popeyes Cougar, I would have looked at it closer. It looks like it has just been sitting for a LONG time.

T2x
02-10-2010, 11:05 AM
The boat is currently owned by John Wooley. The turbine project was partially completed by Doug Lewis in the years prior to his death. It was basically done as a "Quid pro Quo" as Doug worked on it in exchange for rent at the site for his race shop. The engines were fairly modest as I recall and there was speculation that the hull would run between 100 and 110 when completed, which was slower than its gasoline powered days (125 or so).

The hull is sturdy and B-I-G. It's kind of a shame that it was repainted, as it probably has a lot more "wow" value in the original livery. Phil and I covered that boat in just about every race it entered..and it was something to behold in its day.

T2x

Dude! Sweet!
02-10-2010, 12:11 PM

Looks like it's in a lot better shape than the Gentry Cougar was in the last time I saw it.

seeroy
02-11-2010, 09:06 PM
The boat is currently owned by John Wooley. The turbine project was partially completed by Doug Lewis in the years prior to his death. It was basically done as a "Quid pro Quo" as Doug worked on it in exchange for rent at the site for his race shop. The engines were fairly modest as I recall and there was speculation that the hull would run between 100 and 110 when completed, which was slower than its gasoline powered days (125 or so).

The hull is sturdy and B-I-G. It's kind of a shame that it was repainted, as it probably has a lot more "wow" value in the original livery. Phil and I covered that boat in just about every race it entered..and it was something to behold in its day.

T2x

Rich - I remember that you called it the"Monster of the Midway" as it slowly idled into the frame. - Seeroy

T2x
02-12-2010, 11:53 AM
Rich - I remember that you called it the"Monster of the Midway" as it slowly idled into the frame. - Seeroy

My favorite term for it was the "Dreadnaught"..........

It's a monument (among many others) to the ingenuity of your brother....

Welfare Racing
02-16-2010, 07:24 PM
RE: Chris's post

That's sad. It's a shame but it doesn't make economic sense to put one of these dinosaurs back on the water. I'm glad that the original Gentry Eagle at least made it into a museum.

i agree, many that have these rotting away, and want way too much for the hulls....I actually watched one in detroit w/o any rigging or seats in it sit, untill it was munched....he was asking big money for it, in the end we both lost

I didnt get it and he had to pay to crush it

verry sad

Offshore Ginger
02-16-2010, 09:05 PM
RE: Chris's post

i agree, many that have these rotting away, and want way too much for the hulls....I actually watched one in detroit w/o any rigging or seats in it sit, untill it was munched....he was asking big money for it, in the end we both lost

verry sadJust curious was that Kasiers boat?

glassdave
02-16-2010, 09:49 PM
I actually watched one in detroit w/o any rigging or seats in it sit, untill it was munched....he was asking big money for it, in the end we both lost

verry sad

What boat was that? There was a new un rigged Cougar in Trenton for a while, hope that wasnt it.

I took a look at this boat at Woolys shop last time we were there. What a cool piece of history.