PDA

View Full Version : Interesting 36'

baywatch
02-02-2010, 10:19 AM
http://www.offshoreonly.com/classifieds/36_039_apache_warrior_1995_145_000-o32657-en.html

I haven't seen this one before. I have often thought that 700's and nxt's would be a good reliable set up for a 36'. Also has a head. Not big on the dash It would take me a while to get used to not having my old school guages.

Nykamp
02-02-2010, 10:45 AM
It's been out west for years, it went out there after being repo'ed in florida back around 2000. It used to have some pro charger motors that where about 700 hp.

Trim'd Up
02-02-2010, 10:47 AM
I agree on the gauges. It just doesn't look right without a dash full of gauges.

Tank
02-02-2010, 11:41 AM
I've run that boat...Before it had the new power in it. This dude bought it from a friend of mine to use in the Catalina Ski race. It ran in the mid to upper 70's with pro charged 500's. I don't think 150k investement was worth 10-15 mph!:eek:

hessdk
02-02-2010, 12:26 PM
She was at National Liquidators in FL around 2001-02. Interior needed work then, and still looks that way now. I think that is a great engine package for that boat. I like the technology of Smartcraft/Northstar setup, but I too miss the "old school" look of gauges. I would prefer a combination both.

thedonz
02-02-2010, 01:06 PM
Apaches = oldschool =..................

no other way :sifone:

baywatch
02-02-2010, 01:54 PM
I've run that boat...Before it had the new power in it. This dude bought it from a friend of mine to use in the Catalina Ski race. It ran in the mid to upper 70's with pro charged 500's. I don't think 150k investement was worth 10-15 mph!:eek:

What did it have for drives when it was running the procharged 500's?

-J

Geronimo36
02-02-2010, 01:58 PM

Must have been something wrong with the setup because I was running low 80's with 700 hp.

It's been out west for years, it went out there after being repo'ed in florida back around 2000. It used to have some pro charger motors that where about 700 hp.

I remember it well, I tried bidding on it didn't make the cut-off... When it went out west a broker had it listed for a LOT more than I could have gotten it for at the auction. :(

700 package in that boat should be nice!

hessdk
02-02-2010, 02:37 PM
baywatch, It was originally a Bravo boat. Even on the Pro charger setup.

Geronimo36, I also would have thought the pro chargers would have pushed it faster. I had a '94 36' with 575 Eickerts, and it ran 77-78.

GENERAL LEE
02-02-2010, 03:26 PM
I can see what you mean by "interesting".

That "might" be the most cash I've seen someone drop on power/drives, for a boat that doesn't really seem worth it? I have to think he got some crazy good deal on that 700/NXT combo.....

There are sooooo many nicer used boats out there, that would be perfect for that power? :huh:

Oh well, at least it's safe to assume it runs good! :sifone:

Geronimo36
02-02-2010, 06:24 PM

That "might" be the most cash I've seen someone drop on power/drives, for a boat that doesn't really seem worth it? I have to think he got some crazy good deal on that 700/NXT combo.....

There are sooooo many nicer used boats out there, that would be perfect for that power? :huh:

From a resale perspective it's his loss and someone else' gain I suppose!

Is it me or does the X look a bit on the low side for a surface prop?

J.T.
02-02-2010, 06:48 PM

It's not you....it does look low.

baywatch
02-02-2010, 07:58 PM

I agree!!! I love my old 36' and it is great family truckster with lots of cabin space for the kid but I can't imagine dumping that kind of jack for a repower.

If I could buy it for 85k swap engines with the 502's in mine and turn around and sell it for 70k I would take it LOL. I don't see that happening so I guess it will be another season of slow cruising between 50 and 60mph for me :driving:

I am curious to know how drives held up with the procharger set up that was on it before. I definately see the bravos as being the week link on a heavy boat once you do anything to the slow stock power.

Tank
02-02-2010, 08:11 PM
baywatch, It was originally a Bravo boat. Even on the Pro charger setup.

Geronimo36, I also would have thought the pro chargers would have pushed it faster. I had a '94 36' with 575 Eickerts, and it ran 77-78.

My bad, my bad...The boat was putting out between 700-750 hp and ran right around 82 mph and best of 84 per the old owner.

BattleCry
02-03-2010, 01:46 AM
For that kind of money, I would be looking at buying Kirk Smith's Drillin It 36 with 950's, 6's, and get to touch the century mark.

Nykamp
02-03-2010, 06:25 AM
I think John Pompi did some work to it years ago, they should have sent it back to him or TNT for the rerig.

DrGaryDC
02-03-2010, 09:27 AM
I agree!!

baywatch
02-03-2010, 10:14 AM
I am sure that this one will be holding its place in the classifieds for some time. A guy has a lot of options in this soft market for that kind of money so I don't see it selling very quickly.

Also, which 36' was the raindance #6 drives boat before the redo http://www.offshoreonly.com/classifieds/36_apache-o26534-en.html ? That is another interesting one. Definately the paint on that one is a little "busier" than I prefer but I love the dual helm dash guage configuration etc..

Geronimo36
02-03-2010, 10:16 AM
My bad, my bad...The boat was putting out between 700-750 hp and ran right around 82 mph and best of 84 per the old owner.

Sounds just about right! I ran a best of 83 with Bravo's and a 1.5 gear ratio and 81 with Bmax and 1.30 gear ratio. I was at 720 hp back then but now I'm running 87 mph with 2" raised X and 800 hp and Bmax. :driving:

For that kind of money, I would be looking at buying Kirk Smith's Drillin It 36 with 950's, 6's, and get to touch the century mark.

I think he still wants a lil too much but that is for sure one of the nicest 36's in my opinion. Only gripe I have is the shorter cockpit with the half stagger but from what Bob tells me that boat is a great runner!!!:driving:

Also, the 36' with 3a's out in Long Island is another great one but needs a little TLC but the price is right.:cheers2:

Geronimo36
02-03-2010, 10:17 AM
Also, which 36' was the raindance #6 drives boat before the redo http://www.offshoreonly.com/classifieds/36_apache-o26534-en.html ? That is another interesting one. Definately the paint on that one is a little "busier" than I prefer but I love the dual helm dash guage configuration etc..

Raindance is the 36' that rolled in the NYC poker run in 2004. :(

baywatch
02-03-2010, 10:31 AM

Ok, that's starting to make a bit more sense now. I was wondering on that one as well. I love the way they did the dash layout starboard and port.

It is funny, when I wanted a 36' it was only 41's for sale. Now There are a lot of 36's on the market and very few 41's. I did notice Medicine man is down to $199k on oso as well.

Geronimo36
02-03-2010, 11:09 AM
I hear ya dude, I couldn't find many either.... Oh well, it's all good!

On a side note, before I bought my Bmax's I was talking to Bobby about my drive situation... The NXT hadn't been released yet and he kept asking me to hold out for the "mini-#6's"... I tried holding out but just before they were officially released we found out that you couldn't buy them seperately. :(

GENERAL LEE
02-03-2010, 12:14 PM

Oh damn, really? I wondered what became of that boat. I figured it had been stripped & scrapped. It must have not been "too" torn up, for them to put the money they did into restoring it. It looks nice now. :cheers2:

Geronimo36
02-03-2010, 12:21 PM
Oh damn, really? I wondered what became of that boat. I figured it had been stripped & scrapped. It must have not been "too" torn up, for them to put the money they did into restoring it. It looks nice now. :cheers2:

No doubt! Here's some pics of the project; http://mdoffshore.com/gallery/album07

Raindance is a kevlar 36'. Out of the factory it supposedly ran 100 mph with 700's.:cheers2:

PS, I only know about the 36's cause I have one! :)

GENERAL LEE
02-03-2010, 12:26 PM
No doubt! Here's some pics of the project; http://mdoffshore.com/gallery/album07

Raindance is a kevlar 36'. Out of the factory it supposedly ran 100 mph with 700's.:cheers2:

PS, I only know about the 36's cause I have one! :)

Cool man, thanks for the link. I know you know what's up on these 36's! http://smiliesftw.com/x/cool.gif (http://smiliesftw.com)

hessdk
02-03-2010, 04:10 PM
Geronimo36, Is the 36' with 3A's still for sale? I have not seen it listed for several months. It was last priced @ $85K I believe.

By the way, I have a quick funny story regarding your 36'. I was in the market in 2002 and went to look at it in Lindenhurst. I got there to meet the guy and he was not even there. The motors and drives were not in the boat either. I called him to see where he was, and he was out "getting coffee"? I asked him about the motors and drives and he said "I have not had time to detail it yet". Go figure.

Geronimo36
02-03-2010, 05:17 PM
Geronimo36, Is the 36' with 3A's still for sale? I have not seen it listed for several months. It was last priced @ $85K I believe.

By the way, I have a quick funny story regarding your 36'. I was in the market in 2002 and went to look at it in Lindenhurst. I got there to meet the guy and he was not even there. The motors and drives were not in the boat either. I called him to see where he was, and he was out "getting coffee"? I asked him about the motors and drives and he said "I have not had time to detail it yet". Go figure.

I'm not sure if the one with 3A's is still listed but the boat was at MRD when I last saw it. If need be I can probably get in touch with the owner thru some common friends.

Classic story about my boat!! I didn't happen to be "Chris Tuffo" was it? Lot's of "history" with my rig, as with all Apache's...:cheers2:

It's a long long story but in short, I didn't buy my boat from Chris but the guy in Mass. that I bought it from got screwed by Chris.....

Nykamp
02-03-2010, 06:38 PM
Everyone of these boats has some interesting storys. That 1995 with 800's and 3A's that was also at the repo lot has not resurfaced in awhile. It was for sale in NJ when I was selling my 1994.

Geronimo36
02-03-2010, 06:48 PM
Everyone of these boats has some interesting storys. That 1995 with 800's and 3A's that was also at the repo lot has not resurfaced in awhile. It was for sale in NJ when I was selling my 1994.

Steve, it popped up last fall at the NYC Brunch Run all restored!!!:cheers2:
http://sharkeyimages.zenfolio.com/harlemriver/e4000626#h4000626
http://sharkeyimages.zenfolio.com/lamottas/h24fd1c11#h24fd1c11
http://sharkeyimages.zenfolio.com/lamottas/h24fd1c11#h37cb50cdhttp://sharkeyimages.zenfolio.com/lamottas/h361a1e65#h361a1e65
http://sharkeyimages.zenfolio.com/lamottas/h24fd1c11#h361a1e65

Nykamp
02-03-2010, 07:09 PM
Wow, glad somebody's taking good care of her, I always like that 36.

LotoSteve
02-03-2010, 07:27 PM

I remember the thread about it not being suitable for repair because it was too torn up from the roll. I also remember it was supposed to be very fast for a 36. Didnt someone from OK buy it after the wreck?

baywatch
02-03-2010, 10:51 PM
Steve, it popped up last fall at the NYC Brunch Run all restored!!!:cheers2:
http://sharkeyimages.zenfolio.com/harlemriver/e4000626#h4000626
http://sharkeyimages.zenfolio.com/lamottas/h24fd1c11#h24fd1c11
http://sharkeyimages.zenfolio.com/lamottas/h24fd1c11#h37cb50cdhttp://sharkeyimages.zenfolio.com/lamottas/h361a1e65#h361a1e65
http://sharkeyimages.zenfolio.com/lamottas/h24fd1c11#h361a1e65

Frank, Were those graphics paint or vinyl? Also, on the starboard side behind the vent is that a fuel fill (saddle tanks?)?

BattleCry
02-04-2010, 12:56 AM
[I think he still wants a lil too much but that is for sure one of the nicest 36's in my opinion. Only gripe I have is the shorter cockpit with the half stagger but from what Bob tells me that boat is a great runner!!!:driving:

Anyone can make an offer. I know him personally and just looked at the boat when I was in Georgia in December. It still is in pristine condition. He use to have a guy in his shop that was dedicated to just taking care of his boats. I will agree that the advertised price is a little North but, not many Apaches, or 36's, can top 100mph. I have been on it when he was going over 100mph. If someone wants to make an offer, I would be happy to pass it along or they can call Peter to whom it is listed with. I, seriously, don't know how ambitious he is to sell it.

The shortened cockpit is a bit different. I am as tall as Nykamp and any seat in the back, other than the middle, is not gonna happen. However, the back seat does drop-out, which is nice when things get rough and you are running hard. If I was going to buy a 36, this would be the one I would buy.

Nykamp
02-04-2010, 08:05 AM
BC, we don't fit in tight places to good. Kirks boats are sweet I haven't seen the white one in person but GERONIMO was flawless when I saw her down in Ft. Lauderdale probadly 5 yeras ago for a poker run.

Geronimo36
02-04-2010, 09:19 AM
I remember the thread about it not being suitable for repair because it was too torn up from the roll. I also remember it was supposed to be very fast for a 36. Didnt someone from OK buy it after the wreck?

I never got to see the boat in person after the wreck but I was forwarded about 50 pictures in a zip file and from what I can tell there was a chunk missing (delamination) near one of the bulkheads on the side of the boat and there was a crack in the corner of the deck area near the engine hatches.. The damage could have very well been fixed but I have no idea the extent or how the repairs were done..

However, I think I lot of the "rumors" about the boat being is disrepair may have been "insurance" related if you catch my drift... I'm not insinuating, just hypothesizing. :)

Frank, Were those graphics paint or vinyl? Also, on the starboard side behind the vent is that a fuel fill (saddle tanks?)?

Yeah, it was paint... Eric Froberg and Bobby sent me a large zip file a good 30 or so pictures of the boat when Eric surveyed it when it was repoed. I then saw it in person at Wherlin Brothers and at Typhoon. I could have bought the boat for $75K back then but it needed some work. It was nothing I couldn't handle on my own. I was trying to work at deal with Typhoon at the time and since I was only 26 yrs old the only loan I could get approved for was a 7 yr and I didn't feel like paying $1200 month for a used boat.... So, I waited a few more years and saved up a few more bucks to buy the 36' I have today..:driving:

Geronimo36
02-04-2010, 09:24 AM
BC, we don't fit in tight places to good.

Yeah but I hear you're a gentle giant!!:cheers2:

Hey, any luck with Ron??

Nykamp
02-04-2010, 11:35 AM
Morning Frank, Ron is on my call list today, thank's man.

BattleCry
02-05-2010, 04:08 AM
BC, we don't fit in tight places to good. Kirks boats are sweet I haven't seen the white one in person but GERONIMO was flawless when I saw her down in Ft. Lauderdale probadly 5 yeras ago for a poker run.

I am going through Georgia on my way to Florida next week and I usually stop to see Kirk and stay at Joe's. Kirk keeps his boats much like our other friend in Georgia. I looked over JoJo's 47 in December and it still looks great. It was tough to get decent pics of it, in the garage.

Here's to being tall and finding clothes that fit.

jdoss
02-07-2010, 01:09 PM
I flew to OK with a customer to look at it. For as bad as the accident was, it was not in that bad of shape. One side at the bulkhead had a 4-5' delam spot ,and the back hatch area the glass was damaged. The drives looked like they had some issues also. For what the customer wanted to do, we could not make the numbers work for him.

I'll see if i can find the pics from the trip

Geronimo36
02-12-2010, 03:14 PM

It's not you....it does look low.

I was told the drives were mounted a little lower than normal because the boat was used for ski racing..

All things considered I think he's still getting pretty good speed out of it with only 700 hp! :driving:

OneBadInjun
12-25-2010, 05:17 PM
where is eric froberg these days? still at that inflatable place or does he have his own shop?