PDA

View Full Version : Props turning in?

Xtreme Air
01-30-2010, 06:51 PM
I have a 35 ft 1984 mistress and am considering turning the props in this year. I know there has been alot written on the subject of speed gains by doing this. My question however is on bow and stern lift. What can I expect by turning the props in? will this produce more bow lift or stern lift om this boat? right now I am using Konrad drives. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I also know that my handling around the dock will be impaired by doing this.

BajaIceBreaker
01-30-2010, 07:33 PM
Turning props in will give you stern lift. Some boats loose handling, but that usually depends on your top speeds. If you're in the 60 - 70 range, you probably won't notice a loss in control.
They say docking is impaired, but I have no problems docking. My boat is super heavy, and turning the props in gave a few MPH, but going to Bravo I 4 blades did too.
I say, definately change your props to turn in. If you don't like it, change them back, but you will probably see no need to go back.
Not sure how to do this on Konrads. Sounds like you may already know how to do it. Very simple on Bravo drives.

Seafordguy
01-31-2010, 10:49 AM
This is something I need to try on my cafe, I just haven't felt like switching the shifters.

BajaIceBreaker
01-31-2010, 11:20 AM
You can try it out easily. You don't have to switch the shifters on a Bravo. Just simply switch the props, stbd and port, then drive the boat in reverse. If you like it, then you switch the shifting.

Biggus
01-31-2010, 12:36 PM
To reverse rotation on the Konrad drives you can either swap the drives from side to side or swap out the lower gear cases.

Craney
01-31-2010, 03:11 PM
I have a 35 ft 1984 mistress and am considering turning the props in this year. I know there has been alot written on the subject of speed gains by doing this. My question however is on bow and stern lift. What can I expect by turning the props in? will this produce more bow lift or stern lift om this boat? right now I am using Konrad drives. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I also know that my handling around the dock will be impaired by doing this.

Are you going to the AC show next weekend??:sifone:

Seafordguy
01-31-2010, 04:46 PM
You can try it out easily. You don't have to switch the shifters on a Bravo. Just simply switch the props, stbd and port, then drive the boat in reverse. If you like it, then you switch the shifting.

Yeah - I know, but I have just never felt like doing it and then having to deal with the boat all weekend in "reverse"

BajaIceBreaker
01-31-2010, 06:18 PM
Yeah - I know, but I have just never felt like doing it and then having to deal with the boat all weekend in "reverse"

You should seriously give it a shot. It's the cheapest 1 - 2 MPH you'll ever get.

Xtreme Air
01-31-2010, 06:36 PM
Yes. Looks like we are making the trip on Sat.

CRT
02-01-2010, 09:41 AM
Did it on my 1985 Mistress when I had it, it ran easily 3-5 MPH faster GPS. While running it handled fine. Obviously more stern lift, but ran level. The only difference was around the dock, it kind of sucked but you can get used to it. I swaped the TRS, back and forth a couple of times, I also swaped the Konrads when I had them. Its worth a try if you are squeezing speed.

Xtreme Air
02-01-2010, 12:28 PM
CRT, Thanks for the reply. What power were you running and what props size did you use?

CRT
02-01-2010, 01:18 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was running 540's. They made 675HP on the Dyno, Naturally Aspirated. I was spinning 26" non labbed Bravo 4 Blades. I should have had 28" labbed by throttle up, and that was what I was working on before I sold the boat. I gained quite a bit of speed with the Konrads because they give a 1.7" shorter x dimension. The midrange acceleration was better with the props out, but not that noticable. I was running a consistant 77-79 with the props in. 76 with the prop out. Throttle up told me 3 mph with labbed 28" not a gaurantee but he told me, he would bank on it. That would have gotten me 80. My motors were best spinning 5400 rpm. I had 5600 rpm rev limiters in them. Hope this helps.

I was using mirage plus 3 blades with the TRS drives originally. 25"

Xtreme Air
02-01-2010, 06:09 PM
Hey Kurt Thanks!! I am also running 540's but had to use a spacer on my Konrads because the 1.7 inch was too much. I was constantly blowing out. I am currently running Bravo1 4 blades at a 24 inch pitch. I am turning 5700 rpm's. This year I am going to 26 inch bravos and switching my Konrads to turn in. Last year I ran 72-73gps so I am hoping to pick up 2mph. What do you think?
Xtreme Air is online now Forward Message

Zero Patience
02-01-2010, 09:33 PM
I tried IN and ran 1-2 faster, but the cruise @ 3500 dropped 2-3. I spend way more time at Cruise than WFO. Docking in tight quarters was a pain in the A$$ turning in. Try the drives short (No Spacer) with Hering 16" diameter 22 degree rake, and the pitch you need? (26")? props.

Xtreme Air
02-02-2010, 11:19 PM
Thanks everyone for your posts!