PDA

View Full Version : Don Aronow Memorial Around Long Island Marathon

Top Banana
01-26-2010, 02:36 PM
I spoke to Billy Frenz today and there has been a date change that will allow any current racer to compete in the....

Don Aronow Memorial Around Long Island Marathon.

We originally had it scheduled for the weekend after Labor Day. However, there were at least two other race organizations with races scheduled that same weekend.

The new date for this HORBA / NPBA event is September 18, 2010.

All are welcome to come and see what real ocean racing was all about.

Looking for "Safety Boat" volunteers all around Long Island......please let us know if you are interested in helping out in this way.

gofish7070
01-28-2010, 02:07 PM
Charlie I know in a previous post you mentioned host marina but would you mind doing it again??? September is a good time to get the hell out of Fl...........

stormrider
01-28-2010, 04:15 PM
La Motta's in Port Washington, NY.

Top Banana
01-29-2010, 10:46 AM
That's right. Guy Lamotta who was a good friend of Don, has a good sized marina in Port Washington, NY called Manhasset Bay Marina.

That marina will serve as both the wet and dry pit area. The on site restaurant will serve as the awards location and for drivers meetings.

He has an excellent facility with lifts and plenty of dock space and rig parkng space.

sy goldberg
02-02-2010, 11:39 AM
Will it be a race like the former round Mahattan ISLAND race where there didn't seem to be any type of boat class and you raced what you brought and the first boat to the finish line was the winner.I remember seeing small flathead FORD V8 60 hydroplanes competing against unlimited GOLD CUP boats and a single engine ALLISON powered vee hull.

Top Banana
02-02-2010, 12:06 PM
Will it be a race like the former round Mahattan ISLAND race where there didn't seem to be any type of boat class and you raced what you brought and the first boat to the finish line was the winner.I remember seeing small flathead FORD V8 60 hydroplanes competing against unlimited GOLD CUP boats and a single engine ALLISON powered vee hull.

Sy....the nice thing about this race is you can compete for the experience. You don't have to worry about building up points for a championship at the end of the year.

There will definitely be a historic class of boats 15 years or older.

There will be a 1.vee bottom and a 2.cat class.
Depending on who signs up, we can break those two categories down.....we want everyone who is interested to have a chance to race and enjoy the experience.

As far as Unlimited hydros, or anything else that the Coast Guard would not consider a safe craft for this event, they probably won't be allowed in.

SHARKEY-IMAGES
02-02-2010, 12:57 PM
La Motta's in Port Washington, NY.

Several shots of the marina and restaurant in this gallery:

http://sharkeyimages.zenfolio.com/lamottas

Be sure to take a close up look of the pics on the walls ! ;)

Best of luck with this Charlie.

I would love to cover this event, I just need to work on the logistics... :cheers2:

http://sharkeyimages.zenfolio.com/img/v2/p695887758-4.jpg

MarylandMark
02-02-2010, 03:10 PM
Maybe Sam aka Skip will be there? :eek:

Top Banana
02-02-2010, 03:55 PM
Several shots of the marina and restaurant in this gallery:

http://sharkeyimages.zenfolio.com/lamottas

Be sure to take a close up look of the pics on the walls ! ;)

Best of luck with this Charlie.

I would love to cover this event, I just need to work on the logistics... :cheers2:

http://sharkeyimages.zenfolio.com/img/v2/p695887758-4.jpg

Thanks Tim......that is why we moved the date to September 18th...... so it would not conflict with any other races or events going on in the northeast.

Hope you can make it.

SHARKEY-IMAGES
02-02-2010, 04:31 PM
Thanks Tim......that is why we moved the date to September 18th...... so it would not conflict with any other races or events going on in the northeast.

Hope you can make it.

As long as no one's schedules change, I will put on my schedule and plan on being there !!! :cheers2:

http://sharkeyimages.zenfolio.com/img/v4/p983035949-4.jpg

SHARKEY-IMAGES
02-02-2010, 04:33 PM
You can't see in the glare, but that is Guy and Rocky Aoki in the bottom right pic.

stormrider
02-03-2010, 11:39 AM
You can't see in the glare, but that is Guy and Rocky Aoki in the bottom right pic.

Thanks for clarifying that... at first glance i thought it was Guy's grandson.

MahopacMarine
02-03-2010, 11:49 AM
Looking for "Safety Boat" volunteers all around Long Island......please let us know if you are interested in helping out in this way.

As usual Charlie, we will definitely volunteer to help out anyway we can for you and Billy. I will put it on the calendar and speak with either you or Billy before then.

But you can definitely count on us.

Tom

Top Banana
02-03-2010, 11:52 AM
As usual Charlie, we will definitely volunteer to help out anyway we can for you and Billy. I will put it on the calendar and speak with either you or Billy before then.

But you can definitely count on us.

Tom

Thank you very much Tom.......BUT, we hope to see one of those boat brands that you are selling, out there on the course racing!!!!

MahopacMarine
02-03-2010, 04:52 PM
Thank you very much Tom.......BUT, we hope to see one of those boat brands that you are selling, out there on the course racing!!!!

Sounds good Charlie. We can have multiple boats out there if needed:cheers2::driving:

Geronimo36
02-03-2010, 06:18 PM

I may be able to offer some assistance on the south shore (Sandy Hook to Jones Inlet Area)... When the time gets near please look me up, I'd be glad to help where i can.:cheers2:

SHARKEY-IMAGES
02-03-2010, 06:35 PM
Sounds good Charlie. We can have multiple boats out there if needed:cheers2::driving:
All I need is one ! :bump:

Sean
02-09-2010, 12:24 PM
I can help out around Orient Point.

T2x
02-10-2010, 10:54 AM
Charlie:

The last two times we ran this race in the mid 60's there was a speed limit in the New York Harbor area. Has this been researched/waived?

i will help any way I can....but I would rather be in the event. :D

Rich

Top Banana
02-10-2010, 04:26 PM
Charlie:

The last two times we ran this race in the mid 60's there was a speed limit in the New York Harbor area. Has this been researched/waived?

i will help any way I can....but I would rather be in the event. :D

Rich

Rich......thanks for your offer. The way I understand it, we are starting on the north side heading east, so by the time we come back around to the Manhattan side, the boats will be strung out.

I know Billy has been speaking with the Coast Guard on a regular basis and working through some other issues. Don't know for sure what has been decided on this item.

Slandrew
02-13-2010, 12:37 AM
I whould like to help or attend!

T2x
02-15-2010, 10:54 AM
Maybe we could schedule a reunion party for the actual veterans who ran this race back in the day? I know where Gene Bianco, Brownie, Odell Lewis, John Bakos, Stenback, Powers, Wishnick, and a bunch of others hang out. I am not sure if Strickland, Steve Sirois, and a few other OFF members ran in the event, but I can find out. Linder is still breathing and so am I .........last time I checked :D. Ken Kalibat has passed but his wife and sons would love to attend, I am sure. Charlie can certainly fill in more blanks.

Just my .02....

T2x

Geronimo36
02-15-2010, 12:37 PM
Now that would be really cool!!

SHARKEY-IMAGES
02-15-2010, 03:49 PM
Great idea RICH !! :cheers2:

Top Banana
02-15-2010, 04:16 PM
Maybe we could schedule a reunion party for the actual veterans who ran this race back in the day? I know where Gene Bianco, Brownie, Odell Lewis, John Bakos, Stenback, Powers, Wishnick, and a bunch of others hang out. I am not sure if Strickland, Steve Sirois, and a few other OFF members ran in the event, but I can find out. Linder is still breathing and so am I .........last time I checked :D. Ken Kalibat has passed but his wife and sons would love to attend, I am sure. Charlie can certainly fill in more blanks.

Just my .02....

T2x

One of the reasons we picked this particular location for the pit area and award ceremony, is that Michael Aronow will be able to attend and actually hand out the flags and trophies to the winners.

Yes, Rich that is a great idea for gathering as many of the old racers as possible....BUT this time let's get some video and audio equipment, to capture some of the stories before they are lost forever.

MahopacMarine
02-15-2010, 08:09 PM
BUT this time let's get some video and audio equipment, to capture some of the stories before they are lost forever.

I love that idea. I would just love to be a fly on the wall listening away.

stainless
02-15-2010, 09:06 PM

Just my .02....

T2x

Great idea! :cheers2: :USA::sifone:

seeroy
02-16-2010, 11:08 AM

Just my .02....

T2x

I did indeed run that race twice. Once with Bob Magoon and once in my (Mr Kiekhaefer's) 28' Bertram w/3 Merc OBs. It's not easy for me to get away, but I will consider it. I most certainly would like to attend.
Charlie - If alot of OFF dudes make it, that means you must attend OFF2010! Last I heard from Jim, we are planning for Oct 8-10 in Jupiter, FL. :) - Steve Sirois

Top Banana
02-17-2010, 09:10 PM
I did indeed run that race twice. Once with Bob Magoon and once in my (Mr Kiekhaefer's) 28' Bertram w/3 Merc OBs. It's not easy for me to get away, but I will consider it. I most certainly would like to attend.
Charlie - If alot of OFF dudes make it, that means you must attend OFF2010! Last I heard from Jim, we are planning for Oct 8-10 in Jupiter, FL. :) - Steve Sirois

Steve.... have those dates already penciled in....thanks.

seeroy
02-19-2010, 02:46 PM

OOOPS! Date is actually 15-17 Oct 2010!!!

My Bad!