BY U BOY
10-15-2008, 07:07 PM
Get to work you goofy bastage:drool5:

fund razor
10-15-2008, 07:10 PM
Lmaorofl.

fund razor
10-15-2008, 07:16 PM
I spent yesterday with the boat. Cleaning up from the balancer ejection, cleaning the road dirt off, drying out the cabin.

Diagnosed the hatch: Leaked all summer because instead of fix it, the body shop guys shot white paint over a bad gasket. Bad design, no repair: still a bad hatch. It's on the list to replace.

Nav lights: We have this little thing around these parts called: green on one side and red on t'other. Had a 360 degree mooring light for a nav light stem.

Couple pumps run, couple don't.

Getting ready for the engines pull.

When they are out I will adress the bilge.

The hull is friggin unbelieveable. A gem.

cosmic12
10-15-2008, 08:07 PM
I thought Bill did the bilge when he had the engines out. By thr by did anyone invite him?

fund razor
10-15-2008, 08:33 PM
I thought Bill did the bilge when he had the engines out. By thr by did anyone invite him?
I can't testify in court, but I believe that they were never out since the day the balancer blew off of the one. They were in place, whacked... just as they would have been. A mess.
Sounds like the timing chain is broken on SB and P sounds like a ball peen hammer in a dryer. Both turn with the starters.

fund razor
10-15-2008, 08:37 PM
I have been light on inviting, trying hard to wait for the true opening. There are many nice people like Bill that I haven't talked to about the site yet, personally speaking. It's tough not to spill it, but the floodgates would probably burst.

Lots to do on the boat. Mainly engines and making it marine legal again. (Lights, horn, blower hoses, stuff like that.) I need to look at some and see where the SB and P colored running lights should be.

phragle
10-15-2008, 08:39 PM
go with pop up led's :)

cosmic12
10-15-2008, 08:41 PM
I can't testify in court, but I believe that they were never out since the day the balancer blew off of the one. They were in place, whacked... just as they would have been. A mess.
Sounds like the timing chain is broken on SB and P sounds like a ball peen hammer in a dryer. Both turn with the starters.

I will have to go back to his thread but I thought he had'em out when it was at the body shop. Thought I saw pics I could be wrong. ....I know what ya meen about keeping it quiet its tuff when you are excited about it.

fund razor
10-15-2008, 08:47 PM
They have some plastic ones at West Marine that are cheap. :D

I need to see some apaches and some sabers to see how they address a couple of things. Including VHF mast. I could go hand held, but I am superstitious about no working VHF on a big lake. I have solved the GPS problem (I have one that I like and has the update for my part of the world....).

One sticky trim indicator "ram."

One stuck outdrive trim. Both sides... doesn't sound right.... pump check time.

It has a built in holder in a locker in the cabin for two scuba tanks. They will make great fender holders.

fund razor
10-15-2008, 08:49 PM
I will have to go back to his thread but I thought he had'em out when it was at the body shop. Thought I saw pics I could be wrong. ....I know what ya meen about keeping it quiet its tuff when you are excited about it.
You saw pics of one of the "what might be" moments. I think. These are as he rigged them last, with his ignition system and everything in place. If he was in the position to do R and Rs himself.... he wouldn't have sold the boat. These are it. Still in place.

fund razor
10-15-2008, 08:50 PM
I checked and verified or failed everything that you can check without having a running boat. All electric and hydraulic was in place.

fund razor
10-15-2008, 08:55 PM
The condition of the hull and the deck is off the fricking chain.

Cabin is musty and old.

Cockpit is pretty good. Good floor. Good bolsters. Good rear seat. Good sunpad. No tears in any. A little dirty.

Needs some detail work on the helm and needs new control cables. These are kinda cheap and sticky. I think that the boat sat for a long time in Miami. I think that the engines should have been freshened up after a long florida nap. I am thinking flat out rusty stuff run after an oil change.
Who knows what lurks in the engines, but I needed to clean that dam mess up before I did anything or let anybody get in there and slip.

fund razor
10-15-2008, 08:56 PM
But that was just the first day I had it. It was stored at a friend's until I could get it the final leg home. That was yesterday morning. I had to work today and then it rained.

fund razor
10-15-2008, 08:59 PM
I've said too much.

I should just pull a cover off of it one day.... one choppy beak buster of a day... and then we will know what became of it. :D

It will be right when it hits the water.

phragle
10-15-2008, 09:00 PM
I have several bow lights in the garage if your not picky, think a few of them are actually new even....

cosmic12
10-15-2008, 09:17 PM
You saw pics of one of the "what might be" moments. I think. These are as he rigged them last, with his ignition system and everything in place. If he was in the position to do R and Rs himself.... he wouldn't have sold the boat. These are it. Still in place.

Yup I just went over THERE and looked thru it, I was wrong the drives were off not the engines out. sorry. I did ask him why he didn't pull'em and do the bilge.

fund razor
10-15-2008, 09:25 PM
By looking at the steering knuckle on top of the drives.... it looks like the drives were put back on different sides than original. The scored side is outboard on each drive rather than inboard. The inboard side is virgin under the bolt heads. ;)

Just one of many things that made me go hmmmmm.

This is my third rescue mission.
First real offshore.

Save the classic offshores.

BY U BOY
10-15-2008, 09:31 PM
Sounds like you have a lot of work ahead of you.Good luck and kepp us posted.

cosmic12
10-15-2008, 09:39 PM
:Thats what we haven't talked about, A restoration section. To the board room!:seeya:

Airpacker
10-15-2008, 09:56 PM
Fund, go to home depot and pick up a couple of dehydrater buckets. stick em in th ecabin for a week or two and let then dry her out.

fund razor
10-15-2008, 10:08 PM
That's a good idea.

phragle
10-15-2008, 10:10 PM
I will examine the light situation this weekend and let you know

fund razor
10-15-2008, 10:26 PM
I will examine the light situation this weekend and let you know
Ok. I will look at what some people have done to see what looks good and where. Thanks for checking,

BY U BOY
10-15-2008, 10:52 PM
have you looked at the pop up nav lights? speaking of that I need to loo at mine it stopped working 2 weeks ago and I was forced to sleep on the boat.:biggrinjester:

fund razor
10-16-2008, 07:17 AM
have you looked at the pop up nav lights? speaking of that I need to loo at mine it stopped working 2 weeks ago and I was forced to sleep on the boat.:biggrinjester:

Gonna look. I have this funny thing about going out prepared to be boarded/inspected.

fund razor
10-16-2008, 07:49 PM
Spent some more time today. It's gonna be a nice boat one day.

Measured the crappy hatch= 19.5 inside of trim ring.

Gonna try to connect with my tech buddy tomorrow to schedule the engine yanks.

fund razor
10-16-2008, 07:52 PM
Checked lights at night. Transom Nav light inop.

One of the trim card lights, inop.

Bow courtesy, inop.

Gonna pull all the cushions. Today I ran a fan and then closed her up with one of those hangy-absorby-baggy-thingys hanging from Crappyhatch.

Boy... these sure have a LOT of hidden stowage. What's THAT about.

fund razor
10-16-2008, 08:36 PM
Photo credit: Clark the boating buddy.

fund razor
10-16-2008, 08:39 PM
And another

cosmic12
10-16-2008, 08:51 PM
Look'n good

fund razor
10-16-2008, 09:35 PM
Thanks. I have a lot of ideas now. I have had possesion for 60 hours. I am going to replace the interior. The old is too skanky. I can do most of it and sub the cushions out. The constrcution technique will work in my favor.

fund razor
10-16-2008, 09:39 PM
Makes my house look small.

cosmic12
10-16-2008, 10:45 PM

I know the feeling

stormrider
10-20-2008, 10:38 PM
fund... so this is where the new thread was started.:cool:

JJ Apache
10-20-2008, 11:23 PM
Permission to come aboard!

PARADOX
10-21-2008, 12:20 AM

:) no kidding.. I have only inches on the Avanti sides and fence.
Great looking Apache.. post some pics with your progress.

fund razor
10-21-2008, 09:56 PM
fund... so this is where the new thread was started.:cool:

Ask the original poster. :D

I am just along for the ride.

fund razor
10-21-2008, 09:58 PM
:) no kidding.. I have only inches on the Avanti saides and fence.
Great looking Apache.. post some pics with your progress.

Thanks. It needs some work, but it should turn out ok. I see that you still have the very nice Formula.

It still makes me unhappy that you are letting the Avanti go. But I respect your decision. You know what is best for you.

I still like that formula. :D

PARADOX
10-21-2008, 10:06 PM
Thanks. It needs some work, but it should turn out ok. I see that you still have the very nice Formula.

It still makes me unhappy that you are letting the Avanti go. But I respect your decision. You know what is best for you.

I still like that formula. :D

Yeaah... :( THe Avanti got to go or it will be in storage for months..

For now.. I'm keeping the ole' Formula. I can put it into cruise mode and go all day.. with out working hard with my shoulder. The Avanti wants to go.. and I can't argue. lol
But it's hard on my shoulder with the throttle/trim etc. stuff.
It's hard to get her in the cruising mode. I took her out last weekend to the iseland, (Anclote).. I wanted to just have a nice ride there. No way.. !!!!:rofl:
As soon as we got out of the channel.. I had to slam it.. The seas were flat.. so my arm was ok.

BTW.. if you need some parts... give me a call.. I got some pretty good sources.

WMF
10-21-2008, 10:26 PM
Hey John, If you look at my post on OSO, I had the hatch removed and repainted, it was supposed to be repainted and resealed with 5200, it never leaked until it got cold in the last 2 months, that really burns me up. I paid those people good money to do everything right!!, but I guess when you only pay 17,000 for paint work that is what you get:banghead:. As for the motors what have you found to have caused the failures on the motors?? It looks good in front of your house, I kinda miss it:), no not really, I miss all the money I spent!!!!

WMF
10-21-2008, 10:32 PM
here are some pics

fund razor
10-22-2008, 07:18 AM
Hey John, If you look at my post on OSO, I had the hatch removed and repainted, it was supposed to be repainted and resealed with 5200, it never leaked until it got cold in the last 2 months, that really burns me up. I paid those people good money to do everything right!!, but I guess when you only pay 17,000 for paint work that is what you get:banghead:. As for the motors what have you found to have caused the failures on the motors?? It looks good in front of your house, I kinda miss it:), no not really, I miss all the money I spent!!!!

No offense... you got screwed. That hatch should have been scrapped. Bad design. That inner square ring of gasket (in the pic, shown as an indentation) was a failure point. The gasket would have been showing as black rubber before the paint. The "car guys" as I affectionately call them simply painted over that gasket. The paint failed, all came off of the rubber, and that's why the hatch leaked. It needs to come off and a one piece solid hatch needs to be installed. Paint aint the answer. :D Although they did do a nice resto on the hull, forward gunwales and the deck. I love the new logos.

Engines will come out in the next couple of days. I have a friend in the area with a shop who has done work for me in the past. I like working with him. They are coming out at his shop. My hunch is that the port is toast and the SB has a broken timing chain. It is what it is.

The bad hatch did the interior no favors. I will probably have the cushions replaced over the winter.
The boat needs nav lights also. They are kind of funny about that around here. :D

WMF
10-28-2008, 11:42 PM
Hey John any updates yet???????:)

fund razor
10-29-2008, 07:43 AM
Boat was successfully delivered to my guy's shop last Friday.

He wasn't able to tackle it immediately... but it will only take him a matter of hours to tear them down and see how bad the blocks are or are not. Then we will go from there. Meanwhile I have been planning the re-rig.
Going with new control cables for sure.

Next time that I get the boat home, I will find my wiring route for the side nav lights. I think that I am legal skipping a bow light (Something about vessels under 60 feet can do a wide arc white nav/mast light, side lights and a transom light.) but I need to check. I will need to get a new mast, because the one with the boat is a 360 degree mooring light. No good for running.

BGIII
10-29-2008, 08:13 AM
John - Are you sure on the 360 degree light for mooring only? It was my understanding that the white light must be visible 360 degrees at all times after dusk and then if you are mooring, only that light would be illuminated and the others could be turned off?

The website below is a good source of all requirements. When you get to the lighting part, click on the information icon and it shows pictures of lighting requirements.

http://www.uscgboating.org/safety/vsc/vsc_a.html

phragle
10-29-2008, 08:48 AM
there just lights...if you get stuck call me.

stormrider
10-29-2008, 10:13 AM
you cant' put a mast on that! :eek:
find a way to run a wire, there had to be one at one time.
You can always put a separate small battery up in the bow, run a short wire to the light, and go turn it on when you need it.

fund razor
10-29-2008, 10:25 AM
John - Are you sure on the 360 degree light for mooring only? It was my understanding that the white light must be visible 360 degrees at all times after dusk and then if you are mooring, only that light would be illuminated and the others could be turned off?

The website below is a good source of all requirements. When you get to the lighting part, click on the information icon and it shows pictures of lighting requirements.

http://www.uscgboating.org/safety/vsc/vsc_a.html

Power-driven Vessels

(Sail Vessel under machinery power is considered a power-driven vessel).

If your power-driven vessel is less than 65.5 feet/20 meters in length, then it must display navigation lights per Figure 1. Figure 1 is a 217 degree forward facing white navigation light in combination with a white stern light.

If your power-driven vessel is less than 39.4 feet/12 meters in length, then it may display navigation lights per Figure 2. Figure 2 is a 360 degree mast light with no stern light.

If your power-driven vessel is less than 23 feet/7 meters in length and its maximum speed cannot exceed 7 knots, then it may display an all-round white light, and if practicable, sidelights instead of the lights prescribed previously. (For International Rules only)

Figure 1 (22b) and Figure 2 (22d) attached.
We tend to use a forward facing white nav light in combination with a white stern light around here. It reduces glare at the helm somewhat on an offshore style boat.

fund razor
10-29-2008, 10:26 AM
you cant' put a mast on that! :eek:
find a way to run a wire, there had to be one at one time.
You can always put a separate small battery up in the bow, run a short wire to the light, and go turn it on when you need it.

Fishing the wires is not a challenge. Just deciding where I want to drill holes is all. :D

BGIII
10-29-2008, 11:15 AM
BOATS UNDER 12 METERS (39.4')

Powerboats-Separate or combination red and green sidelights, 112.5°, visible 1 n.m., placed above hull at least 1 meter (3.3') below masthead light. Masthead: white, 225°, visible 2 n.m., at least 1 meter above side lights. White stern light, 135°, visible 2 n.m. OR, one all-round (360°) white light (should also have sidelights).

Sounds like you can do it either way. I have a 360° light on a rather long post on the stern rather than the type that is mounted midship like I see on a lot of boats. I understand what you mean about the glare the midship mounted lights cause, they seem like a huge distraction to the driver.

fund razor
10-29-2008, 11:33 AM

Powerboats-Separate or combination red and green sidelights, 112.5°, visible 1 n.m., placed above hull at least 1 meter (3.3') below masthead light. Masthead: white, 225°, visible 2 n.m., at least 1 meter above side lights. White stern light, 135°, visible 2 n.m. OR, one all-round (360°) white light (should also have sidelights).

Sounds like you can do it either way. I have a 360° light on a rather long post on the stern rather than the type that is mounted midship like I see on a lot of boats. I understand what you mean about the glare the midship mounted lights cause, they seem like a huge distraction to the driver.

Exactly. Yes... 225 degrees. I was guessing with the 217. Kind of pulled it from thin air.

So... I am thinking:
Sidelights for port and starboard, (red and green) mounted midships. White Stern light, and white 225 degree nav light that becomes 360 with the switch to anchoring vs. navigating.
My concern is leaving the forward tip of the deck unlit. (By not using the combo light)
But I guess it was unlit on my last (26 foot Stinger) boat also.

BGIII
10-29-2008, 11:00 PM
You can see where my side lights are mounted in this photo (at least you can see the red one). I have no lights on the forward bow.

fund razor
10-30-2008, 09:07 AM
I think that is exactly what I will do.

Thanks.

ChiefApache
10-30-2008, 04:09 PM
My concern is leaving the forward tip of the deck unlit. (By not using the combo light)
But I guess it was unlit on my last (26 foot Stinger) boat also.

Don't be too concerned, we don't have any front bow nav lights and it's awesome!

Our nav lights are on each side and last winter we removed the front mid-ship nav light (it was too small and right in our eyes at night), so we put in a pull up 360 Nav light in the back of the boat with no stern light and it meets the height requirement and is very visible.

All the wiring was there from the stern light and it was very easy to hookj up. The nav light is also availabe in power. We purchased it from Livorsi.

viperfitness1
10-30-2008, 04:22 PM
Don't be too concerned, we don't have any front bow nav lights and it's awesome!

Our nav lights are on each side and last winter we removed the front mid-ship nav light (it was too small and right in our eyes at night), so we put in a pull up 360 Nav light in the back of the boat with no stern light and it meets the height requirement and is very visible.

All the wiring was there from the stern light and it was very easy to hookj up. The nav light is also availabe in power. We purchased it from Livorsi.

you got any pics of that?

ChiefApache
10-30-2008, 04:56 PM
you got any pics of that?

No, and we're out of town this weekend so it will be another week before I would be abel to take pics. I'll try and remember to do that.

inbetween
10-30-2008, 06:33 PM
[QUOTE=ChiefApache;10103

Our nav lights are on each side [/QUOTE]

Does anyone know which side the red light goes on??:26:

Fund - good luck withthe project. Keep the photos coming.

fund razor
10-30-2008, 08:50 PM
Thanks inbetween. Good to know Barb. I may go that way. I remember how hard that I fought the midship forward light running at night. I'd really don't like running at night, but I want to be ready and prepared when it happens. Sending the nav light aftward may be good.

phragle
10-30-2008, 09:17 PM
fundy..you can dig thru lites saturday :)

fund razor
10-30-2008, 09:47 PM
fundy..you can dig thru lites saturday :)

Thanks you phraggy. No cookies. No time... just saying, I'm sorry. :(

phragle
10-30-2008, 10:20 PM
no worries...

ChiefApache
10-31-2008, 06:00 AM
Does anyone know which side the red light goes on??:26:

You know I have mob friends.....no really, I do...........:rofl:

ChiefApache
10-31-2008, 06:02 AM
Thanks inbetween. Good to know Barb. I may go that way. I remember how hard that I fought the midship forward light running at night. I'd really don't like running at night, but I want to be ready and prepared when it happens. Sending the nav light aftward may be good.

Our Stinger had the mid-ship nav light and so did the Apache when we bought it. We run at night once or twice a season and while I don't like running at night, it is much easier to run with the nav light in the back than mid-ship on the fairing with the light blinding you.

Chris
10-31-2008, 07:52 AM
I found a really cool 360 degree bubble light for the transom. It's a sealed LED inside of a solid cast lexan dome and the base is polished aluminum, clear anodized. Up front, you can use a popup bow light (red/green) and in the middle, I just use a stick-on sailboat 360 white for those rare occasions I'm night boating and need to be legal. Passes the CG inspection.

I have yet to use one but the powered 360 degree light (looks like a power antenna) seems interesting.

BGIII
10-31-2008, 08:00 AM
I changed the wiring on my boat so I have control of the gauge back-lighting separate from navigational lights. I can see much better at night with the gauge lights off.

ChiefApache
10-31-2008, 08:12 AM
We opted for the manual vs power only because it was one less thing to break. Not difficult at all to pull up. LIvorsi's has manual listed for $121, power $193. Here's what we have:

BGIII
10-31-2008, 08:34 AM
How far does that light pull out? My light is on a pole about 3-4' long to get high enough that I am comfortable that is is visible 360°.

ChiefApache
10-31-2008, 08:44 AM
How far does that light pull out? My light is on a pole about 3-4' long to get high enough that I am comfortable that is is visible 360°.

About the same. It's high enough and is visible all around.

fund razor
10-31-2008, 07:01 PM
So anyway.... the engines came out this week and are completely disassembled. Come to find out.... very unlikely that they were really Cobras.
They were mismatched. One had nice pistons, rods. One had regular GM.
Both cranks are spun. Most likely one went.... and then the other one went on the ride back in. One of them (probably the one that started the chain reaction) lost an oil pump combo screen/pickup and was probably sucking air at time of steep hull angle.

Guessing one lost oil pressure and spun the bearing.

Heads look good. We'll see.

Way too big dominator carbs have to go.
Declined a pair of blower motors today. :D

Drives are off and u joints, shafts and gimbals are lovely.

WMF
11-02-2008, 11:10 PM
Hey John any pics of the motors??

fund razor
11-03-2008, 07:41 AM
Hey John any pics of the motors??

They aren't on my camera. I will eventually get them.

Technically... they aren't motors anymore. They are used part department and recycling center. :D

Geronimo36
11-03-2008, 11:21 AM
very unlikely that they were really Cobras. .

PS, I wouldn't rule that out... ;)

That stinks about the engines, are the cranks/rods salvagable?

FULL FORCE
11-03-2008, 11:54 AM

I have a midship, it sucks! I drive back to my marina alot at night, easy trip but with the mid light I have a hard time seeing, I want to replace that here soon..

Geronimo36
11-06-2008, 02:36 PM
Fund,

I saw on the other site that the cockpit floor in your boat has the loncoin? If you have any pictures please let me know! I have carpet and want to switch over but would like to see how the edges were finished etc.

Frank

fund razor
11-06-2008, 06:53 PM
Fund,

I saw on the other site that the cockpit floor in your boat has the loncoin? If you have any pictures please let me know! I have carpet and want to switch over but would like to see how the edges were finished etc.

Frank

Ok. I will see what I can do. The weather may be a factor.
Worse case... I will need to wait a couple of days. I'll see if I can get edge shots. They went up the front of the aft seat. I like that. It's a bad area for shoe marks and kicks.

One thing is... it is tough to keep clean. I think that I will go with carpet over the top. But I am glad that it is there. Creates kind of an impervious layer.

baywatch
11-06-2008, 11:28 PM
Fund,

Frank

Pardon my Ignorance, but is the loncoin like a perelli floor? I also have the Charcoal colored carpet and would like to get rid of it or do a snap in carpet type of deal.

-Josh

BY U BOY
11-07-2008, 01:59 AM
Ok. I will see what I can do. The weather may be a factor.
Worse case... I will need to wait a couple of days. I'll see if I can get edge shots. They went up the front of the aft seat. I like that. It's a bad area for shoe marks and kicks.

One thing is... it is tough to keep clean. I think that I will go with carpet over the top. But I am glad that it is there. Creates kind of an impervious layer.

Shoes?? You let people wear shoes on the boat..:dupe:

insanity
11-07-2008, 03:14 AM
Cool! Looking forward to seeing it running around the west end of the lake next year.

fund razor
11-07-2008, 08:08 PM
Shoes?? You let people wear shoes on the boat..:dupe:

Yes Patrick. People up north often wear shoes. Sometimes we don't.
On my boats... I have allowed clean non-marking soled sneakers inside the boat. Not on the deck or cushions.

Also... we wear shoes while driving, getting married, and shopping at the store. Come on up next summer and check it out. :D

(Teasing... just teasing.....) :D

BY U BOY
11-07-2008, 09:07 PM
Yes Patrick. People up north often wear shoes. Sometimes we don't.
On my boats... I have allowed clean non-marking soled sneakers inside the boat. Not on the deck or cushions.

Also... we wear shoes while driving, getting married, and shopping at the store. Come on up next summer and check it out. :D

(Teasing... just teasing.....) :D

I think you need to come down here and experience boating without shoes:biggrinjester: I wore crocks the other day does that count as shoes:sifone: I really do need to start doing some out of state boating.Getting the time to do it is the hard part:(

JCG
11-18-2008, 12:55 AM
Hey, fund!

Any update on your Apache's re-powering?? I was following its restoration back on OSO and was curious on where it was at.

Regards,
Julian

fund razor
11-18-2008, 07:20 AM
No update. I am working with a guy in my region that I trust. The engines and drives were pulled and I cleaned the bilge again before it was put into winter storage. My deadline for new power is April 30. Hopefully sooner.

You had asked about blowers on another thread. I am not doing blowers. No offense to them. I would rather drop in bbcs that are stout enough to accept blowers later if I am that hp starved. I know that these boats need tons of hp to go... but for my first summer learning that hull and dialing in all new rigging I would be more comfortable with NA power. I expect to stay within the 500 hp per side limit that I feel is appropriate for bravos in this app.
Plus... my intent for the boat is much more as a wave crusher than a race boat. I should be able to keep up with an average poker run.

WMF
11-28-2008, 11:43 PM
Sorry to here about both motors being no good John, I wish I would have removed them myself and let you know what the full damage was, but I dont think that would have changed your mind on buying the boat!!!!!, TEX (Andy) will have a good solution for you on what to do next, just wait and he will let you know what the best way to go!!!

phragle
11-29-2008, 12:24 AM
No update. I am working with a guy in my region that I trust.

Isn't Gellner and sterling in the region?? wouldnt it be cool to stand on the dock, call and order a pizza at frosty's and be there before it came out of the oven?? :26:

BY U BOY
11-29-2008, 12:24 AM
Sorry to here about both motors being no good John, I wish I would have removed them myself and let you know what the full damage was, but I dont think that would have changed your mind on buying the boat!!!!!, TEX (Andy) will have a good solution for you on what to do next, just wait and he will let you know what the best way to go!!!

Yeah he will tell you to throw away the good blocks and spend 30K on some take out 496's:seeya:

BY U BOY
11-29-2008, 12:25 AM
That counts as GAY! :rofl:

you know how I know your gay...you have mary in front of your name:26:

Mrhorsepower1
11-29-2008, 10:43 AM
Isn't Gellner and sterling in the region?? wouldnt it be cool to stand on the dock, call and order a pizza at frosty's and be there before it came out of the oven?? :26:

I have quoted on engines for this boat. I would love to see a set of my 650's go in that bad boy!! Give me a call and I will work with you in anyway I possible can!!

MarylandMark
11-29-2008, 12:58 PM
you know how I know your gay...you have mary in front of your name:26:

Could be a typo and mean Mary and Mark or Maryl and Mark

Buy U a Boy :biggrinjester:

Waiting for BOYhunter to pipe in... :rofl:

MarylandMark
11-29-2008, 12:59 PM
Oh where oh where is Ray at Raylar looking for a project for his 550 small blocks..

:03:

Mrhorsepower1
11-29-2008, 01:00 PM
The 650's I am speaking of are SMALL BLOCKS!

stormrider
12-08-2008, 11:32 AM
That pair of 500efi that dock holiday is selling seems like a decent deal.

J-Bonz
12-08-2008, 11:11 PM
wouldnt it be cool to stand on the dock, call and order a pizza at frosty's and be there before it came out of the oven?? :26:

NICE.............................. To bad finding a dock would take ya to long!

phragle
12-09-2008, 12:35 AM
crews nest

scottie150
03-31-2009, 11:52 PM
Hey Fund- any updates?????:dupe:

fund razor
04-01-2009, 06:39 AM
The new power has been designed and the parts are coming. Blocks are here. Rotating assys are on the way. Waiting on heads and cams. But they will be worth the wait. In a couple weeks I will be able to get the boat from storage and bring it home to paint the bilge, while a buddy does the new power assembly at his shop. Hopefully we will stay on our April 30 deadline for the power being finished. I wanted him to be able to start the builds earlier, but I ended up going a direction with cam and heads that took a little longer. It will be worth it.
I am getting pretty anxious to get at it. :D

Dude! Sweet!
04-01-2009, 12:29 PM
When do the PSI blowers show up!? :D

cigdaze
04-01-2009, 12:32 PM
The new power has been designed...
And?...What might that be?

:)

Tony
04-07-2009, 09:45 PM
I bet I got a fairly good idea...:D

phragle
04-07-2009, 09:50 PM
well....Homer does work at nuclear power plant........... whats the indian word for reactor???

cosmic12
04-07-2009, 09:59 PM
It's gona be fun:sifone::drool5:

JJ Apache
04-07-2009, 09:59 PM
well....Homer does work at nuclear power plant........... whats the indian word for reactor???

LoL!!!!! Ichtgo'dbooom...........:26:

fund razor
04-17-2009, 07:35 PM
Cleaning the bilge is not fun. :(

Buoy
04-17-2009, 07:40 PM

Sure it is!

Just tell the wench where she missed a spot, and crack another beer.:sifone:

ChiefApache
04-17-2009, 09:09 PM

My anal husband just informed me we will be cleaning ours on Sunday.

Last year he took every single nut, screw or whatever was connected to the inside, disconnected it, painted it, and put it back together.

Did I mention he was anal?:sifone:

Davidmnc
04-17-2009, 09:13 PM

Last year he took every single nut, screw or whatever was connected to the inside, disconnected it, painted it, and put it back together.

I want that thing right when I ride in it this summer!!! :sifone:

cosmic12
04-17-2009, 09:16 PM
Come on.......we need pics

fund razor
04-18-2009, 07:35 AM

I was laying in bed wishing that I had a bead blaster or another parts cleaner so I could pull stuff off and do exactly that. I was "washing" the bilge and parts started coming out. :D

fund razor
04-18-2009, 07:35 AM
Come on.......we need pics

Ok. I need to dig out my camera card reader.

fund razor
04-18-2009, 07:48 AM
Hey, who all sells Leverage?

I want to try the vinyl cleaner and conditioner and Jamie ran out before I ordered from Lakeside.
I didn't see the thread right away.

Bobcat
04-18-2009, 07:51 AM
every time I see the title in thread I think it is a story about brave little kid , and his huge effort to beat whatever ails him, and then I remember that the" brave" is a boat .:sifone:

fund razor
04-18-2009, 07:58 AM
every time I see the title in thread I think it is a story about brave little kid , and his huge effort to beat whatever ails him, and then I remember that the" brave" is a boat .:sifone:
It is the story about a brave little kid, who overcame everything just to buy a classic offshore and be put into financial peril once again. It is the story of being brave, despite repower cost, despite the milkshake coating the bilge, despite mold and mildew and dryrot and rust and covers with no tent poles, and the complete lack of navigation lights and an anchor that is fused to the deck in the locker. Only... the little kid is 43. :)

Chris
04-18-2009, 08:25 AM
Hey, who all sells Leverage?

I want to try the vinyl cleaner and conditioner and Jamie ran out before I ordered from Lakeside.
I didn't see the thread right away.

PM Jassman.

Chris
04-18-2009, 08:27 AM
I was laying in bed wishing that I had a bead blaster or another parts cleaner so I could pull stuff off and do exactly that. I was "washing" the bilge and parts started coming out. :D

You can get a nicke little one at Harbor Freight for about $100. It's a benchtop. You can use a shop vac with one of those plaster dust bags in it for dust vent. They work just fine for small parts.

fund razor
04-18-2009, 08:37 AM
PM Jassman.

That's right. I remember now.

Good call.

fund razor
04-18-2009, 08:39 AM
You can get a nicke little one at Harbor Freight for about $100. It's a benchtop. You can use a shop vac with one of those plaster dust bags in it for dust vent. They work just fine for small parts.

Hmmm. About how big?
I have some medium sized stuff, like the frames that make up the battery boxes, flat, but maybe 7 x 12.

phragle
04-18-2009, 08:54 AM
What do you need blasted John?? how big, how much stuff?? I may be able to do it tuesday morning...

ChiefApache
04-18-2009, 08:54 AM
I want that thing right when I ride in it this summer!!! :sifone:

If we get some 2 to 4 footers when you're visiting, it will be right!!!

ChiefApache
04-18-2009, 08:57 AM
It is the story about a brave little kid, who overcame everything just to buy a classic offshore and be put into financial peril once again. It is the story of being brave, despite repower cost, despite the milkshake coating the bilge, despite mold and mildew and dryrot and rust and covers with no tent poles, and the complete lack of navigation lights and an anchor that is fused to the deck in the locker. Only... the little kid is 43. :)

OMG this has me LOL!

We feel your pain John.....many of us are there or have been there.

It'll be worth it when it's done. Well, not the financial peril part cause that never goes away.:biggrinjester:

Chris
04-18-2009, 09:01 AM
Hmmm. About how big?
I have some medium sized stuff, like the frames that make up the battery boxes, flat, but maybe 7 x 12.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=42202

I actually have one of their floor-standing one's in my basement- I use it so often I got tired of driving 8 minutes to the shop. If you have one, you'll discover hundreds of uses for it.

I typically leave 120 grit aluminum oxide in it and switch to beads when I want to do very fine surfaces. But beads are too slow and not necessary for anything else- like clean-ups and paint prep. I also have crushed walnut shell for really sensitive surfaces. It'll polish aluminum & chrome and even remove deposits from glass.

Chris
04-18-2009, 09:03 AM
They also have this-

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=94917

May not be that useful though.

Geronimo36
04-19-2009, 07:36 AM
Almost done???

fund razor
04-19-2009, 08:50 AM
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=42202

I actually have one of their floor-standing one's in my basement- I use it so often I got tired of driving 8 minutes to the shop. If you have one, you'll discover hundreds of uses for it.

I typically leave 120 grit aluminum oxide in it and switch to beads when I want to do very fine surfaces. But beads are too slow and not necessary for anything else- like clean-ups and paint prep. I also have crushed walnut shell for really sensitive surfaces. It'll polish aluminum & chrome and even remove deposits from glass.

I believe how much you use it, especially with all of the projects that you do.

It looks like I only have a few things to clean this way, and I have space limitations where I am at, so I may take a friend up on an offer to blast those frames for me and hold off on buying a little cabinet. Good to know that small ones can be found pretty cheap.

fund razor
04-19-2009, 09:00 AM
Almost done???

No. :D

Spent a lot of time in the bilge this weekend. As I cleaned, I got a good look at the rigging and what I do and do not want to replace. I will be unstrapping things along their route, painting, and then restrapping.
I want to replace the control cables and the fuel lines. The switchable exhaust is full-time open, and I am pretty sure that they will need to be closed, if word on the street is correct.
Kind of funny.... before I had the engines and drives removed from the boat last fall I noticed that one of the drive trim motors didn't run. I made a mental note to troubleshoot once the drives were back on, and the harnesss and batteries were reconnected.
While I was cleaning I found a short piece of wire, about 10 or 12 ga. It had an eye hook on one end and a separated butt connector, with the other side of the butt connector joint on the...... yes.... trim pump. I may have found the reason for no trim on that side. That would be nice.

Geronimo36
04-19-2009, 09:09 PM
I hear ya... I guess I get possessed cause I start on a project and don't sleep till it's done... :ack2:

I've been working on this the last couple of weeks; http://s706.photobucket.com/albums/ww64/Fungarten1/?albumview=slideshow

Get er done!!!! :)

fund razor
04-20-2009, 05:40 AM
I hear ya... I guess I get possessed cause I start on a project and don't sleep till it's done... :ack2:

I've been working on this the last couple of weeks; http://s706.photobucket.com/albums/ww64/Fungarten1/?albumview=slideshow

Get er done!!!! :)

Wow.

That is a project. Looks good though.
What year is your 36?

Geronimo36
04-20-2009, 09:18 AM
wow.

That is a project. Looks good though.
What year is your 36?

jhenrie
04-20-2009, 08:19 PM
Wow Frank , looking good. I havent even pulled the cover yet!! Bad

Tony
04-21-2009, 07:46 AM
I believe how much you use it, especially with all of the projects that you do.

It looks like I only have a few things to clean this way, and I have space limitations where I am at, so I may take a friend up on an offer to blast those frames for me and hold off on buying a little cabinet. Good to know that small ones can be found pretty cheap.

Those small cabinets are nice to have around, especially if you frequently use different types of media. Good to hear that your making some progress, just dont do what I did and let it snowball into a bare hull sitting on the trailer. Otherwise this thread will still be going this time next year. :ack2:

fund razor
04-21-2009, 07:53 AM
Those small cabinets are nice to have around, especially if you frequently use different types of media. Good to hear that your making some progress, just dont do what I did and let it snowball into a bare hull sitting on the trailer. Otherwise this thread will still be going this time next year. :ack2:
No. I am not going to get that carried away. Although my list grew after sitting in the bilge for 6 hours last weekend looking at things. Like the cracked fuel lines. I am holding off all cabin/cockpit work until the bilge is done and the boat runs again. I may leave the cabin as is this season. But as good as the pics looked when I bought the boat, the bow hatch was faulty all last summer and leaked alot into the cabin. That mixed with old Florida funkrot did a number on the cabin cushions. I will try to clean them up for now... cause it will be a grand to replace them. I want to redesign the locker set up too. It is set up with opposing lockers each with two scuba tank holders inside. I think that I may adapt those more for my use.

phragle
04-21-2009, 11:11 AM
a too scuba tank holder is roughly the same size as a pony keg, is it not???

phragle
04-21-2009, 11:13 AM
And Damnit fundy!!!! now you say no presents saturday... I was getting this mounted for you today..guess I will jujst have to post it here... actually give me a couple and I will block it up in photoshop so you can see what the matting was going to be like..

fund razor
04-21-2009, 11:18 AM
a too scuba tank holder is roughly the same size as a pony keg, is it not???

For the record, Mr. Wolf....mounting kegs to my boat would be a very, (adjust glasses and turn head) very bad idea.

fund razor
04-21-2009, 11:19 AM
And Damnit fundy!!!! now you say no presents saturday... I was getting this mounted for you today..guess I will jujst have to post it here... actually give me a couple and I will block it up in photoshop so you can see what the matting was going to be like..
I'll take it. I was just avoiding getting stuff for you and Tracy. ;)

fund razor
04-21-2009, 11:19 AM
Dam hijackers. :D

Geronimo36
04-21-2009, 11:50 AM
just dont do what I did and let it snowball into a bare hull sitting on the trailer. Otherwise this thread will still be going this time next year. :ack2:

No. I am not going to get that carried away. Although my list grew after sitting in the bilge for 6 hours last weekend looking at things.

Glassdave said something to me last week which is forever stuck in my head... We were chatting about my project and he said; "At some point you just have to stop and put it all back together." :)

But heck, I do know a few people who would rather work on the boat instead of using it so to each their own!

fund razor
04-21-2009, 12:02 PM
Glassdave said something to me last week which is forever stuck in my head... We were chatting about my project and he said; "At some point you just have to stop and put it all back together." :)

But heck, I do know a few people who would rather work on the boat instead of using it so to each their own!

No doubt. Reminds me of the famous quote:

"There is nothing--absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
- Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows, Ch. 1

And another not so famous:

"I would rather have that boat sitting in my driveway for years while I worked on it than the other boat in the water."
- Chris Sunkin

phragle
04-21-2009, 12:36 PM
I'll take it. I was just avoiding getting stuff for you and Tracy. ;)

now I have to go get it made..that was yesterdays project....

fund razor
04-21-2009, 12:43 PM
now I have to go get it made..that was yesterdays project....
Oh no... now I have to make you guys each one of those macaroni sculptures. :D

phragle
04-21-2009, 01:05 PM
I think you got me covered this summer........

fund razor
05-03-2009, 07:33 PM
Spent another day in the bilge. Starting to be able to envision paint. Cleaned the anchor locker. Found that the original owner had his anchor rode connecting his large danforth to the line with a dog leash style snap hook. Eek. Not sure if he was a super fair weather boater or what, but 3 footers in Erie would have snapped that like a celery stick.

I was happy to find a pair of wires running up to the bow for the lights. The bowlight was removed by the corvette guys, I suppose. Maybe they removed the little keepers on the port and starboard of the bow cleat, because if you anchored right now... the line would ride from the cleat over the new paint. Eek.

The corvette guys screwed up the bow hatch too. They took it off, breaking the original seal. They painted it white, dented it, ruined the rubber gasket by coveruing it with automotive paint and re-installed it (backwards from Apache standard) and didn't do a complete seal. It leaked all last year, so now I have some mold issues.

So I will buy a new hatch and install it correctly. I seem to buy boats with bad hatches and sell boats with good hatches.

The cabin interior will have to be replaced.

WMF
05-03-2009, 07:46 PM
Dont feel bad John, my Cigarette Hatch leaks on the driver's side!!! it must be karma!! come to think of it every boat I have had has had a leaky hatch!!!

fund razor
05-03-2009, 07:54 PM
Dont feel bad John, my Cigarette Hatch leaks on the driver's side!!! it must be karma!! come to think of it every boat I have had has had a leaky hatch!!!

We call that starboard, Bill. :D

I am tossing the bilge pumps and float switches too. Too much milkshake for too long. They have it all inside.

Just take the Cig to a real marine joint and have them fix the hatch. Just don't take it to the corvette guys unless you only need paint.

Hoping to get parts very soon. Ordered rotating assemblies first week of March and I am still waiting.

Buoy
05-03-2009, 08:38 PM
I've yet to encounter a boat that didn't have a deck hatch leak.
Does such an animal exist?

WMF
05-03-2009, 09:23 PM
We call that starboard, Bill. :D

I am tossing the bilge pumps and float switches too. Too much milkshake for too long. They have it all inside.

Just take the Cig to a real marine joint and have them fix the hatch. Just don't take it to the corvette guys unless you only need paint.

Hoping to get parts very soon. Ordered rotating assemblies first week of March and I am still waiting.

I have already fixed the hatch tonight, I can fix somethings!! just not paint work!! I want pics of the bad cabin!! post some up, you mean you cant clean it? When I got the boat it had mold in it, but it cleaned right up!!

fund razor
05-03-2009, 09:40 PM
I guess if there is a little mold left, it takes off. It was a florida boat, after all.

That is the pic from the suirvey, I believe.
So, two owners ago. Perhaps a pic from late 2007.

The cabin is actually kind of a yellow, with red and black mold. Anything plastic has the red mold, anything vinyl has the black.

I may be able to save the headliner. Hopefully a bleach solution will kill the fuzz in all the hull lockers, so I can paint them to try to stop it.

I need to figure out a gasket of some kind for the anchor locker. Water gets in there and it has trouble getting out.

phragle
05-03-2009, 09:44 PM
wheres the pik?

Wrinkleface
05-03-2009, 09:45 PM
I need to figure out a gasket of some kind for the anchor locker. Water gets in there and it has trouble getting out.

Dude, can ya do a drain hole at the bottom????

fund razor
05-03-2009, 10:05 PM
Dude, can ya do a drain hole at the bottom????

It has a drain hole... but there is an upper and a lower level... and some hangs out.

fund razor
05-03-2009, 10:07 PM
It is in the bow Tracy.

fund razor
05-03-2009, 10:12 PM
Speaking of lil things to do.... the boat has two lights. One transom light and one 360 degree white 2nm mast light on the deck forward of the cabin.
There is a wire to the bow. Should I do a bow combo light or should I do a red light midships port and a green light midships starboard? The combo light would be easier, if the wire is good. If it is bad (it's glassed in) it would be easier to do side mounted.

I need to change the mast light out for one that has forward light for running and 360 nfor mooring.

WMF
05-03-2009, 10:14 PM
you are making me feel bad John!! here is a pic after is was cleaned!! it cant be that bad!! did you put moisture control bag and cans in her over the winter?? why do you need a cabin!! get her running!!

fund razor
05-03-2009, 10:19 PM
Don't feel bad Bill. I did a bag, and had it in a dry place, but I think that the bad hatch may have given it just enough moisture that it sprouted, then sort of laid dormant over the winter. But the bag filled up and that was that. I parked it from October to April.

It is nothing to feel bad about Bill. I knew that the potential was there when I put it away. A little mold left over can take off.
Heck.... the power amp has mold on it.

WMF
05-03-2009, 11:03 PM
Don't feel bad Bill. I did a bag, and had it in a dry place, but I think that the bad hatch may have given it just enough moisture that it sprouted, then sort of laid dormant over the winter. But the bag filled up and that was that. I parked it from October to April.

It is nothing to feel bad about Bill. I knew that the potential was there when I put it away. A little mold left over can take off.
Heck.... the power amp has mold on it.

Well get cleaning!! get the boat on the water!! where it belongs!!

fund razor
05-04-2009, 06:23 AM
Well get cleaning!! get the boat on the water!! where it belongs!!

I will. I swear. :)

ChiefApache
05-04-2009, 08:43 AM
John we had some yellowing on our interior that cleaned up really well last year, but I worked hard to get it that way.

I used diluted Purple Power and a Magic Eraser as my main source of cleaning products. I wipped down the area first, left it wet, then used the ME and PP, scrubbed well, then took a clean water rag and rinsed that area. It came out well. We were able to get the yellow out of ours.

Make sure you use bleach and water on the mold, otherwise you have the potential for it to come back, plus it will help take the stale smell out of the boat.

fund razor
05-04-2009, 09:05 AM
John we had some yellowing on our interior that cleaned up really well last year, but I worked hard to get it that way.

I used diluted Purple Power and a Magic Eraser as my main source of cleaning products. I wipped down the area first, left it wet, then used the ME and PP, scrubbed well, then took a clean water rag and rinsed that area. It came out well. We were able to get the yellow out of ours.

Make sure you use bleach and water on the mold, otherwise you have the potential for it to come back, plus it will help take the stale smell out of the boat.

I am right there with you with the bleach. I started in the anchor locker, and I will work my way back in every locker, then I will start at the bow again and hit it again for good measure. Then I will paint the lockers when dry and clean with some Petit. With all of that and the new hatch, I should be ok. But the actual cushions may be too far gone. We will see. They were so "alive" that the zipper pulls disintegrated and became one with the seat base underneath. :ack2:

I will get rid of it all. The boat sits in the sun and I can leave it open whenever it is low humidity out.

phragle
05-04-2009, 09:11 AM
get a dehumidifier and stick it in there... would a prime base of killz help in the lockers?

fund razor
05-05-2009, 06:28 AM
get a dehumidifier and stick it in there... would a prime base of killz help in the lockers?

I have a bag that I can "re-charge" I thought about killz, but am thinking that if I kill the mold first and get as much of it phyicially off the boat, some petit would make a nice barrier coat. (and look nice)
1988 sure was a great year for access hatches to empty spaces. ;)

Chris
05-05-2009, 08:13 AM
Kilz is pigmented shellac with an anti-microbial chemical in it. It will keep drywall that's got bacteria in it from staining through new latex paint. But it won't hold up in a boat.

fund razor
05-05-2009, 08:59 AM
Kilz is pigmented shellac with an anti-microbial chemical in it. It will keep drywall that's got bacteria in it from staining through new latex paint. But it won't hold up in a boat.

That is what I was thinking.

JCG
05-07-2009, 05:09 PM
Fund,

My Brave is a 1991 and it does have the bow line keepers but no bow combo red/green navigation light. It has the green and red lights on each side, about mid-ship, the tall 360 degree mast light that mounts on the center and a rear light, above the swim platform. I was thinking of replacing my red/green lights for something a little smaller, the standard ones are huge, but they'll do for now.

My cabin was also full of mold but cleaned up after two days of intensive cleaning with
Clorox Bleach, carefully so as not to ruin the vinyl.

How are the engines coming? Still waiting for parts?

Good luck,
Julian

fund razor
05-07-2009, 06:06 PM
Fund,

My Brave is a 1991 and it does have the bow line keepers but no bow combo red/green navigation light. It has the green and red lights on each side, about mid-ship, the tall 360 degree mast light that mounts on the center and a rear light, above the swim platform. I was thinking of replacing my red/green lights for something a little smaller, the standard ones are huge, but they'll do for now.

My cabin was also full of mold but cleaned up after two days of intensive cleaning with
Clorox Bleach, carefully so as not to ruin the vinyl.

How are the engines coming? Still waiting for parts?

Good luck,
Julian

Hi Julian,

Good to know. I need to replace those bow line keepers so I can use the anchor off of the bow. I am leaning away from a bow mounted combo light.

Most parts have arrived now, I lost about 30 days but will recover. Only need heads and cams, which should come soon. Ended up doing two new builds with new blocks and new rotating assemblies, new heads and custom cams.

Would love to see pics for ideas if you are willing to share.

Have a good one.

John

WMF
05-07-2009, 11:04 PM
Hi Julian,

Good to know. I need to replace those bow line keepers so I can use the anchor off of the bow. I am leaning away from a bow mounted combo light.

Most parts have arrived now, I lost about 30 days but will recover. Only need heads and cams, which should come soon. Ended up doing two new builds with new blocks and new rotating assemblies, new heads and custom cams.

Would love to see pics for ideas if you are willing to share.

Have a good one.

John

Post some pics of the motors John!!! use Wesleys Tire White for the cabin, and a Magic Eraser it work!!

fund razor
05-08-2009, 06:59 AM
Post some pics of the motors John!!! use Wesleys Tire White for the cabin, and a Magic Eraser it work!!

Pics of new motors will be better when the parts are out of the boxes.

Westleys bleche wite is a bad idea for upholstery. It is sodium silicate, which leaves a slippery residue on most surfaces, and changes the colors of many too. It is harsh enough to harm non-coated aluminum wheels.

I need something that won't harm the moisture balance in the long run.

If bleche wite was used in the cabin before, I can understand why the vinyl feels odd and stiff and is yellowed. I assumed it was just age.

WMF
05-11-2009, 09:55 PM
Pics of new motors will be better when the parts are out of the boxes.

Westleys bleche wite is a bad idea for upholstery. It is sodium silicate, which leaves a slippery residue on most surfaces, and changes the colors of many too. It is harsh enough to harm non-coated aluminum wheels.

I need something that won't harm the moisture balance in the long run.

If bleche wite was used in the cabin before, I can understand why the vinyl feels odd and stiff and is yellowed. I assumed it was just age.

The vinyl feel old and stiff, because its old:), It was yellowed when I bought the boat, never used Westleys on the cabin, only the cockpit!!

phragle
05-12-2009, 12:13 AM
use aerospace 303 or 404..forget which but its supposed to be the shizzle.

Tony
05-12-2009, 08:39 AM
303, its like sunblock for vinyl, leaves a nice shine and isnt greasy.

Bobcat
05-13-2009, 05:30 PM
while traveling around beautiful downtown stock island I ran across this, the perfect support trailer for the brave spirit race team:sifone:

WMF
05-13-2009, 10:26 PM
while traveling around beautiful downtown stock island I ran across this, the perfect support trailer for the brave spirit race team:sifone:

I like it!!! hurry up and buy it John!!!:26:

phragle
05-13-2009, 10:35 PM
John, the batt. mounts are done... just need to find time to run them over...

Perlmudder
05-13-2009, 11:45 PM

that thing is sick!!:sifone:

fund razor
05-15-2009, 08:14 PM
John, the batt. mounts are done... just need to find time to run them over...

Thanks!!
I have been swamped.

fund razor
05-17-2009, 07:02 PM
HUGE PROPS to my 75 and a half year old father for stopping by and helping me get the hydraulic-challenged hatch up so I could work in the bilge. :D

Yes in deed. My Korean War purple heart vet Dad stepped in with the big guns and the big reach. I still won't mess with that dude. :D

Love that guy. Thanks Dad!!!

It was funny, he had not seen the boat in person. He said, "hey is that like George Bush's boat?" And I said, kind of.... but he has a Fountain now, and that's different that a Cig or an Apache. So he said "who will buy it if the economy gets bad?" So I said, "somebody in Dubai." Then he understood what the Apache brand means. :)

Thanks Dad !

Buoy
05-17-2009, 07:26 PM
Nice.

Good to keep the old man involved.

fund razor
05-17-2009, 07:52 PM
I had him out on the last boat.

Indy
05-17-2009, 07:59 PM
I had him out on the last boat.

Some of my fondest memories are with my dad on or working on whatever boat we/I had. I miss those days like you can't imagine, it's been six years now. Treasure every second with him, you're lucky you can still hang with him.

phragle
05-17-2009, 08:18 PM
we want piks of fundy trying to contort his NBA sized self into a bilge...... If he can fit, a couple 1500 sterlings would be no problem....

fund razor
05-17-2009, 09:13 PM
Some of my fondest memories are with my dad on or working on whatever boat we/I had. I miss those days like you can't imagine, it's been six years now. Treasure every second with him, you're lucky you can still hang with him.

You got it.

I am sorry for your loss. :(

fund razor
05-17-2009, 09:14 PM
we want piks of fundy trying to contort his NBA sized self into a bilge...... If he can fit, a couple 1500 sterlings would be no problem....

Without big blocks it can be done. :)

phragle
05-17-2009, 09:18 PM
but what good does it do to spend time cleaning the bilge, if you have to coat yourself with grease to squeeze in there?? :sifone:

I don't know if your getting anything powder coated for it... if you are STAY AWAY from the pc place on camp perry.

Buoy
05-17-2009, 10:46 PM
When I bought my first boat, I took my Dad with me to pick it up, and then launch it.
We ran out of Rossford, to downtown Toledo, and then headed back after geting to Harrison's.
My Dad told me to "HIT IT, I want to see what this thing will do" after I made it past the first train bridge on the way back.
Ran full throttle to the no-wake zone.
I was completely unfamiliar with this boat, and my Dad always had cruisers.
I was nervous running, and trimming the boat, but seeing that smile on my Dad's face... That was great.
It's great that you can get your Dad involved.

WMF
05-20-2009, 12:01 AM
Great to hear your dad helps you out John!!! My dad really does not do much with me or my son, he wont even ride in any of my boats!! Here you go Jon something for you and your dad!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IeE92WVe_so&feature=PlayList&p=4A57503E3F1CB83B&index=0

fund razor
05-20-2009, 06:23 AM
Dam.
Choked me up.

My Dad didn't have boats when we were growing up. But my friends did.

pullmytrigger
05-24-2009, 10:55 AM
Looking good Fund......congrats

fund razor
05-25-2009, 08:43 AM
Thanks. But I am not out of the woods yet. :D

Spent the last three days in the bilge. It's amazing where the milkshake gets. Behind everything, inside everything. Everything is now out of the bilge that is coming out. I will probably give it a scrub with something like soft scrub to get the very last of it. Then I will do one side at a time, hitting it with Acetone before I paint.

Will be going through the trim pump motors on the bench on the next rainy day.

Hoping to get the heads tomorrow. Went with AFR.

fund razor
05-25-2009, 08:47 AM
This was about 75% of the way through

Bobcat
05-25-2009, 08:53 AM
it looks like there is beer in your fuel /water separator:sifone:

fund razor
05-25-2009, 09:15 AM
it looks like there is beer in your fuel /water separator:sifone:

They have been modified to dispense beer while I am working in the bilge. Good eye. :D

Bobcat
05-25-2009, 09:52 AM
:sifone:

Wrinkleface
05-25-2009, 10:18 AM

is that a bottle of Cabo Wabo mounted 2 the firewall??????:sifone:

fund razor
05-25-2009, 10:40 AM
is that a bottle of Cabo Wabo mounted 2 the firewall??????:sifone:

Yeah. It has Latham Tequila Assist Steering. :)

WMF
05-25-2009, 07:14 PM

Why didnt you pull the hatch off when doing the bilge? I see the hatch all the way back? it is not hitting the paint on the rear deck?

Not Right
05-25-2009, 09:33 PM
I've never seen anyone run the raycor filters with the clear bowl on a high performance boat, they work OK? It would be nice to see if you have any water in the fuel,

fund razor
05-25-2009, 09:33 PM
Why didnt you pull the hatch off when doing the bilge? I see the hatch all the way back? it is not hitting the paint on the rear deck?

No. It was laying back on a moving pad sandwich with a plastic car ramp center. :)
Now it is back down and the boat is covered.

phragle
05-25-2009, 10:47 PM
somebody mention sandwhich?????

fund razor
05-26-2009, 01:17 PM
I've never seen anyone run the raycor filters with the clear bowl on a high performance boat, they work OK? It would be nice to see if you have any water in the fuel,

Came to me that way.

Wrinkleface
05-26-2009, 04:18 PM
Yeah. It has Latham Tequila Assist Steering. :)

:driving:

JCG
06-03-2009, 12:05 PM
Hey Fund, any update on your motors? When do you hope to have them ready for installation?

Julian

fund razor
06-03-2009, 12:12 PM
Hey Fund, any update on your motors? When do you hope to have them ready for installation?

Julian

Waiting for the final two elements, the heads and the cams.
(Well, morels and lifters too)

I am hoping to have the boat finished by July 4.
I wanted to have this one particular guy do the valve trains and spec and grind the cams. I am willing to wait for his work.
A friend with a marine shop is doing the assembly and re-install. I am working on the bilge and re-rig of some items. Will be painting the bilge this weekend, I think.

Ratickle
06-03-2009, 12:23 PM
Waiting for the final two elements, the heads and the cams.
(Well, morels and lifters too)

I wanted to have this one particular guy do the valve trains and spec and grind the cams. I am willing to wait for his work.
A friend with a marine shop is doing the assembly and re-install. I am working on the bilge and re-rig of some items. Will be painting the bilge this weekend, I think.

What are you gonna use? I was looking at Smiity's cooling thread and noticed his bilge is black with colored splats?

fund razor
06-03-2009, 01:21 PM
What are you gonna use? I was looking at Smiity's cooling thread and noticed his bilge is black with colored splats?

My intent is to use Petit Easypoxy. (white) It is a marine use one-part epoxy paint. I have used it before with great luck, even below the waterline. This would be my first time using it in a bilge. I would like to keep it white.

cosmic12
06-03-2009, 01:28 PM
All white is right,the more the better make it so bright it hurts yer eyes:coolgleamA: Hey, how come the guy a couple posts above has your boat in the avitar?:confused:

fund razor
06-03-2009, 01:40 PM
All white is right,the more the better make it so bright it hurts yer eyes:coolgleamA: Hey, how come the guy a couple posts above has your boat in the avitar?:confused:

That is Julian. He has a 28 brave with a similar paint scheme. The colors are actually a little different. I think that he has the one that is kind of green and purple, for lack of a better description, and mine is teal and kind of a maroon or mauve red. Also... I think that he has more of the cloud pattern and I have these crazy triangles.

fund razor
06-03-2009, 02:04 PM
Julian's boat: (blown 454s and the removable center bolster)

Geronimo36
06-03-2009, 03:00 PM
Great seeing the progress! At least you have all the parts to assemble the short blocks and when the heads/cam come in you can get it together quickly!

Did you fix the cut-out in the port side engine stringer? It looks like someone cut it for clearance. It's very easy to fix but if you haven't done it already but I'd make sure to do it now! All corners should be rounded/scarved over, then the top capped.

If you need anything let me know.

cosmic12
06-03-2009, 03:10 PM
Julian's boat: (blown 454s and the removable center bolster)

Cool now I see the dif

fund razor
06-03-2009, 03:15 PM
Great seeing the progress! At least you have all the parts to assemble the short blocks and when the heads/cam come in you can get it together quickly!

Did you fix the cut-out in the port side engine stringer? It looks like someone cut it for clearance. It's very easy to fix but if you haven't done it already but I'd make sure to do it now! All corners should be rounded/scarved over, then the top capped.

If you need anything let me know.

Thanks. I was not going to try to fill the space back in, but I was going to cap the exposed wood. My intent was to round the corners over and then spread some West System on it and then sand the West System and paint over it. I am assuming that I will still need the cutout. (alternator maybe?)There is a small cutout on the SB side also, but smaller, rounder and more professional looking.

Geronimo36
06-03-2009, 04:31 PM
I was thinking alternator as well. When you cover it with west system, be sure to cap it with 1708 fabric. Here's a few pictures to give an idea.

On the hatch, notice how the previous owner just cut the support stringers to clearance the blowers without rounding over or radiusing the edges.

Not trying to make more work for ya, just don't want to see you having a stringer failure in rough water cause someone else hacked it up.:)

Geronimo36
06-03-2009, 04:33 PM
The stringer was also cut at 90* angles to clearance the oil pan and the owner slopped some gelcoat on top, obviously it just fell of later on. I wound up cutting out the old wood, scarving the edges, adding new wood and capping it off with 4 layers of 1708.

fund razor
06-03-2009, 06:27 PM
Not trying to make more work for ya, just don't want to see you having a stringer failure in rough water cause someone else hacked it up.:)

I understand. I appreciate your input. I don't think that I would have stringer failure, but I will like it better knowing that I made it a better situation. I also don't want water intrusion into the stringer. It will be capped.

Wrinkleface
06-03-2009, 07:50 PM

just in X 4 Boyne Thunder the next w/e!!!!!:sifone:

fund razor
06-03-2009, 08:03 PM
just in X 4 Boyne Thunder the next w/e!!!!!:sifone:
Ain't gonna happen.

But I'll bet that this boat sees Charlevoix soon enough.

Wrinkleface
06-04-2009, 08:32 AM
ain't gonna happen.

But i'll bet that this boat sees charlevoix soon enough.

:26:

ChiefApache
06-05-2009, 09:34 AM
Ain't gonna happen.

But I'll bet that this boat sees Charlevoix soon enough.

:26:

Take us with you!!!!!!!! :biggrinjester:

Hope you have it done by July 4th too! If you're working on her as much as we've been working on ours, we feel your pain. :(

Can't wait to see her on the water John!

fund razor
06-05-2009, 10:22 AM
Take us with you!!!!!!!! :biggrinjester:

Hope you have it done by July 4th too! If you're working on her as much as we've been working on ours, we feel your pain. :(

Can't wait to see her on the water John!

No problem. You bring the truck, I'll bring the boat. :)

ChiefApache
06-05-2009, 11:35 AM
No problem. You bring the truck, I'll bring the boat. :)

That would work now, wouldn't it? We might have to talk. We'd love to go there also.

Tracy, enough places to sleep us all???

fund razor
06-05-2009, 11:53 AM
That would work now, wouldn't it? We might have to talk. We'd love to go there also.

Tracy, enough places to sleep us all???

We went last year without a boat and wished we had one. I almost rented a runabout. Couldn't bring myself to be that tourist guy.
But it is so beautiful all around there. One of the reasons I stayed in the 28 range was trailering. But I spent my truck money on better power, so I am waiting to buy more truck until the boat is done. My 1500 won't do it safely. My buddy drags it around for me when I need him to. But I need to get into a 4x4 F250 or CK2500 or bigger when the boat is done.

phragle
06-05-2009, 12:14 PM
Nice avatar john.... did you get head?? X4 even???

fund razor
06-05-2009, 12:19 PM
Nice avatar john.... did you get head?? X4 even???
Not yet. A buddy has them a couple of hours drive away.
I am using visualization.

fund razor
06-05-2009, 12:20 PM
AFR 325s.
Now that whole delayed truck thing probably makes more sense.

phragle
06-05-2009, 12:22 PM
Not yet. A buddy has them a couple of hours drive away.
I am using visualization.

Visualization can be a good motivational tool... I know this...I'm doing psych this semester... introspectively..I am beginning to scare myself...

Davidmnc
06-05-2009, 12:24 PM
Visualization can be a good motivational tool... I know this...I'm doing psych this semester... introspectively..I am beginning to scare myself...

That's funny, you have been scarring us for a while now! 32108

ChiefApache
06-06-2009, 09:04 AM
We went last year without a boat and wished we had one. I almost rented a runabout. Couldn't bring myself to be that tourist guy.
But it is so beautiful all around there. One of the reasons I stayed in the 28 range was trailering. But I spent my truck money on better power, so I am waiting to buy more truck until the boat is done. My 1500 won't do it safely. My buddy drags it around for me when I need him to. But I need to get into a 4x4 F250 or CK2500 or bigger when the boat is done.

Our truck pulls the boat beautifully. I think one of the reasons is that the trailer was made to fit the boat, and it fits like a glove. Never bounces around.

Chris
06-07-2009, 09:00 AM
Visualization no longer necessary...

fund razor
06-07-2009, 07:36 PM
Sweet. I was working in the garage on the trim pumps all day. :D

Airpacker
06-07-2009, 10:36 PM
So you gonna polish them or paint them Fundy?

fund razor
06-08-2009, 06:13 AM
So you gonna polish them or paint them Fundy?

I was gonna paint them. You just can't see em. The intakes and blocks are painted. The valve covers are polished. Here is a pic of what they looked like before, which is essentially what they will look like again. Same intakes, exhausts, valve covers. I will add the valve cover to flame arrestors crankcase vent tubes. A few other things.

My trim pumps were covered in crusty yet oily yuck. And some milkshake residue. I disassembled the pumps from the brackets and the brackets from the stringer mounts. Cleaned them in Dawn. Sanded them and repainted the brackets.

I ended up cleaning the pump exteriors with armor all. It worked great.

Anyway... the pic of the look.

Airpacker
06-08-2009, 07:56 AM
ya, kinda burried in there aren't they.

WMF
06-10-2009, 06:07 PM
How much longer do you have till it hits the water John? I like the Avatar:), do you think you will get it done this summer??

fund razor
06-10-2009, 07:47 PM
How much longer do you have till it hits the water John? I like the Avatar:), do you think you will get it done this summer??
My goal is July 4. We'll see. August and September are nice on the lake. Next year, I will be able to jump the spring.

Phragle gave me that pic framed for my birthday. :D

JCG
06-13-2009, 08:13 PM
Fund,
So finally what are you installing for power? I think I read somewhere you were gonna have 600hp normally aspirated? That should be really fast!.. I hope mine will end up with around that same hp, but with the blowers. Any day now we should finally get them installed. I'll let you know how it goes.

Good luck!

Julian

fund razor
06-13-2009, 08:47 PM
Fund,
So finally what are you installing for power? I think I read somewhere you were gonna have 600hp normally aspirated? That should be really fast!.. I hope mine will end up with around that same hp, but with the blowers. Any day now we should finally get them installed. I'll let you know how it goes.

Good luck!

Julian
That's cool. Since I had to do new builds anyway... I went up in size a smidgey. ;) Hasn't been a dyno pull.... but the number that you mention works on paper I suppose.

Good parts. Hope that the assembly is as good.

Good luck!

JJ Apache
06-14-2009, 02:36 PM
Getting lots of sand out of the cushions..... I'm getting pretty good at cleaning pleats! Almost have it perfected, needs lots of Q-tips......:sifone:

JJ Apache
06-14-2009, 02:36 PM
Be back later......

WMF
06-14-2009, 11:38 PM
That's cool. Since I had to do new builds anyway... I went up in size a smidgey. ;) Hasn't been a dyno pull.... but the number that you mention works on paper I suppose.

Good parts. Hope that the assembly is as good.

Good luck!

Great to hear John!! Got some new props for the cigarette that I need to try out!!

fund razor
06-15-2009, 06:15 AM
Hey Bill.... those cabin cushions cleaned up really well.

Definately bought me some time on new cushions. I will put off cabin work until next year.

WMF
06-16-2009, 04:38 PM
Great to hear John!! Hey Andy( Texacoma ) got his motors in!! better hury up John!!

Bobcat
06-16-2009, 10:27 PM
Great to hear John!! Hey Andy( Texacoma ) got his motors in!! better hury up John!!

:eek:

fund razor
06-17-2009, 06:29 AM
Are you shocked Bob? Or did the ankle monitor bite you? :)

Ratickle
06-17-2009, 06:36 AM
Are you shocked Bob? Or did the ankle monitor bite you? :)

They changed him from the ankle to the neck collar....

Cats need better control than your average criminal......:)

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&VideoID=5205490

Bobcat
06-17-2009, 07:59 AM
hijacking your own thread ???:dupe::sifone:

fund razor
06-28-2009, 12:52 PM
Received the heads and cams yesterday. :D

phragle
06-29-2009, 01:30 AM
so it will be in the water by tuesday??

fund razor
06-29-2009, 05:59 AM
so it will be in the water by tuesday??

Some tuesday. :)

ChiefApache
06-29-2009, 09:47 AM
Some tuesday. :)

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

fund razor
06-30-2009, 09:41 AM
Since I am so close to having the engines finished... I might as well tear the interior out and cut the tank out and replace it, huh?

Amazing that the loncoin was put in new last year and the boat wasn't used... then I stored it inside.

Note: don't use wood on a boat. Do use stainless steel. Do not leave the boat uncovered.

fund razor
06-30-2009, 09:45 AM
On the other hand, two boxes of AFR joy with Inconel inside.

phragle
06-30-2009, 09:59 AM
I dudn't know you needed to do the tank..lemme know when you put it back in...I would like to learn the process...

fund razor
06-30-2009, 10:29 AM
I dudn't know you needed to do the tank..lemme know when you put it back in...I would like to learn the process...

I didn't know either until I dried the bilge completely for the painting and glassing stuff. but it must be leaking. Gas doesn't have too many sources. ;)
The current plan is to cut this one out with a grinder (it is bigger than the cover of course) and put a slightly smaller one in. I think I will take it to a buddy's shop and have him do the cutting because that would be pushing my luck with the neighbors. I can do the re-install though. I don't want to cut the liner, so I am happier with a smaller tank. It will still be around 120 gallons.

JCG
06-30-2009, 05:43 PM
How many gallons is your stock tank? Mine has a label on it that says 120, so if you think you'll retain that much, maybe your original one has more capacity???

JCG