PDA

View Full Version : American Made Autoloading Shotguns

RLJ676
01-24-2010, 06:55 PM
I'm in the market for a new shotgun. I know we have some great gun guys here, and have seen lots of good posts on handguns, AR's, etc. I haven't seen too much shotgun talk, but have a feeling there's plenty of knowledge here.

I am looking for a built in the US shotgun, and want an autoloader. My research tells me there are only 3 real options: Remington 1100' (and 11-87), Mossberg 930, and the Beretta 3901 (which is the formerly Italian made 390 equipment now in the US).

I want this just for general use, maybe some upland bird hunting, maybe waterfowl, and busting clays in various games. I want a 12g, 3", 28" barrel with wood furniture, no tacticool shotguns or random camo. I'm vain I guess, as I want one that looks good too.

I haven't found a mossy 930 anywhere, and haven't read a bunch on them either. It seems they may only be available in synthetic, and they're still pretty new. Price is definitely right, but then you get Mossberg fit and finish.

I've been getting out and trying to handle all of them, but still haven't gotten my hands on a 3901 like I'd like, only a 24" slug gun synthetic. Everything I've read says the 390/3901 and newer 391 Berattas are some of the best guns you can buy. I'm not sold on the 3901's stock's finish or that it's really an Italian company.

I have picked up one 1100 at a Bass Pro that had a loose forend and some other cosmetic issues :ack2:. Also, the regular 1100's are only 2 3/4. However, I did handle a 1100 G3 at Gander today, and really liked it. Fit right, looks great, and takes a 3" shell! However, it is a heavier gun than I'd want for bird hunting, and is more $ than ideal. I haven't read a ton of good feedback about the G3 really though, doesn't seem it's been real popular. Seems its a little different than the standard 1100. The reg 1100 seems to have 2 camps, those who've sworn by them for 40+ years, and those who say they're outdated.

So am I missing some options, and what's the opinions on these guns?:USA:

Trim'd Up
01-24-2010, 08:28 PM
I think you have them all as far as autos. The Beretta isn't even in the same league as the others you have mentioned. I have had a 390 for years and love it, but it is an italian version. I am not sure how the US made guns compare but it is a solid design.11-87's are good guns but they are heavy compared to the newer stuff. I also have an old 1100 that is a safe queen. IT is a beautiful gun but it isn't a reliable all around gun. Works fine most of the time if it is warm and dry (upland, clays, etc.). Not worth a damn in the goose pit.

RLJ676
01-24-2010, 09:31 PM
You have summed up basically everything I've read I think.

The 3901 is supposed to be basically identical to the 390, and with similar quality fit and finish. I just wish I could check out a wood stock one.

I believe the 1100 G3 has some updates to be more reliable, but I'm not sure if it has the O ring problems the 1100's are known for? It's definitely great looking though.

I don't think I'll be shooting a ton, and will keep it clean, so don't know how worried I am about reliability as most any modern built firearm like these is fairly reliable.

insanity
01-24-2010, 10:35 PM
Personally I have been trying to find an old Remington 1100 Trap in good shape but have yet to do so. I think the old ones look better than the new ones, not a fan of the fake looking plastic wood. I have an 11-87 Express that has had more shells through it than I can count and I have never had a problem with it, it is more reliable than my 870's. I just keep a sack of o-rings around, and when one starts looking bad replace it.

Been looking at a few Beretta's but haven't found one yet I like.

I was dead-set on another Remington until I really started looking at other manufacturers a couple years ago, and decided to give the Benelli a try. Bought a SBE II a couple years ago with a 28" barrel and the full camo, never had a problem with it. Shoots great, will shoot 3.5" shells, shoots clean because it isn't gas opperated and its light but...it is expensive. Managed to find a slug barrel but it was black and didn't match so I picked up a black SBE II a couple months ago :D Already have my eye on the next one, SuperSport trying to decide on the 28 or the 30 inch barrel...

Izmar21
01-24-2010, 10:58 PM
I know i dont post much but I have been hunting with the same 1100 for many years now and have never had to do anything to the gun but clean it after every season. It has never let me down.

jet
01-25-2010, 01:47 PM
Beretta AL 391 has never let me down and handles low brass loads without any problems

Tony
01-25-2010, 03:36 PM
Its hard to beat the 1100.

skaterdave
01-25-2010, 04:15 PM
i dont have one but have handled mossberg 930, rem 1100 and benelli auto.

everyone i talk too gives the mossberg thumbs up. heres a link;

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/37_336/products_id/58489

RLJ676
01-25-2010, 07:59 PM
Personally I have been trying to find an old Remington 1100 Trap in good shape but have yet to do so. I think the old ones look better than the new ones, not a fan of the fake looking plastic wood. I have an 11-87 Express that has had more shells through it than I can count and I have never had a problem with it, it is more reliable than my 870's. I just keep a sack of o-rings around, and when one starts looking bad replace it.

Been looking at a few Beretta's but haven't found one yet I like.

I was dead-set on another Remington until I really started looking at other manufacturers a couple years ago, and decided to give the Benelli a try. Bought a SBE II a couple years ago with a 28" barrel and the full camo, never had a problem with it. Shoots great, will shoot 3.5" shells, shoots clean because it isn't gas opperated and its light but...it is expensive. Managed to find a slug barrel but it was black and didn't match so I picked up a black SBE II a couple months ago :D Already have my eye on the next one, SuperSport trying to decide on the 28 or the 30 inch barrel...

I like the wood on the sporting 1100's and G3's better than the old ones, a darker walnut look.

Benelli's are nice, but a bit too pricey. If you like the action I'd buy a Franchi and save a little cash. As they're as Italian as it gets, they're off my list unfortunately.

I know i dont post much but I have been hunting with the same 1100 for many years now and have never had to do anything to the gun but clean it after every season. It has never let me down.

You fall into camp one it seems, 1100's been around forever because it works.:USA:

Beretta AL 391 has never let me down and handles low brass loads without any problems

I think the 391 and 390 are similar, and haven't heard anything bad about either.

Its hard to beat the 1100.

Not according to those B guys (Baretta, Benelli, Browning):)

i dont have one but have handled mossberg 930, rem 1100 and benelli auto.

everyone i talk too gives the mossberg thumbs up. heres a link;

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/37_336/products_id/58489

I've read some good stuff on the 930 as well, but haven't found a nice wood and blue one. Only tactical, like that one. I want a nice looking gun for my all arounder for now.

jet
01-25-2010, 08:57 PM
I have a Franchi as well but I like the Baretta better 2c

hotjava66
01-25-2010, 09:35 PM
i have had a beretta 391 technys for a while, i have had good luck with it, mostly used for hunting which has been not much the last few years but has had no problems. i have owned most of the other ones out there and i like this one as well or better. mine is a little older and has the wood looking synthetic stock but it is pretty nice looking. the new ones i think have real wood on the higher end ones. i would possibly sell it if you are interested, im switching to a 20guage for pheasant/quail.

RLJ676
01-25-2010, 09:41 PM
i have had a beretta 391 technys for a while, i have had good luck with it, mostly used for hunting which has been not much the last few years but has had no problems. i have owned most of the other ones out there and i like this one as well or better. mine is a little older and has the wood looking synthetic stock but it is pretty nice looking. the new ones i think have real wood on the higher end ones. i would possibly sell it if you are interested, im switching to a 20guage for pheasant/quail.

Really trying to get an American built one on principle.:USA:

Thanks though.

hotjava66
01-25-2010, 10:20 PM
no prob, i do the same as much as possible :USA:

hotjava66
01-25-2010, 10:32 PM
if you want a true american made and assembled semi auto, remington is the only one. i believe mossberg parts are made in mexico and assembled here, have been for a while, and the beretta has a lot of foriegn content too. i like the 1100 rem with the stainless reciever, nice looking gun, and im pretty sure they have the earlier kinks worked out of them now

RLJ676
01-25-2010, 11:17 PM
if you want a true american made and assembled semi auto, remington is the only one. i believe mossberg parts are made in mexico and assembled here, have been for a while, and the beretta has a lot of foriegn content too. i like the 1100 rem with the stainless reciever, nice looking gun, and im pretty sure they have the earlier kinks worked out of them now

I think that's the case, but I'm willing to settle for just assembled too (Beretta's an Italian company of course).

I think I'm leaning towards the 1100 G3 that accepts 3" shells, looks great, and should have some nice improvements over the 11-87 and 1100 from what I can tell. Just need to find a used 12 for a good price, or closeout new one.

I really was just wanting to make sure I wasn't missing any options. Pretty sad when 3's it. These aren't cheap products, and it's not like Italy has some low cost labor. A shame really.:(

Hilltop Kyle
01-28-2010, 03:03 PM
I've shot A LOT of rounds through my 11-87 and never had any issues. Keep an O ring handy. I've switched to Benelli for waterfowl but the Remington is a great gun!!!

Knot 4 Me
01-28-2010, 04:09 PM
Personally I have been trying to find an old Remington 1100 Trap in good shape but have yet to do so. I think the old ones look better than the new ones, not a fan of the fake looking plastic wood. I have an older 1100 TB Trap. Late '70's vintage I believe. Beautiful gun.

insanity
01-28-2010, 08:09 PM
I have an older 1100 TB Trap. Late '70's vintage I believe. Beautiful gun.

For sale ... ? :D I haven't come across one yet that hasn't been beat to hell.

hotjava66
01-28-2010, 10:32 PM
looked at a G3 tonight at the shop before my smallbore league, pretty nice but i was a little shocked at the sticker.

RLJ676
01-28-2010, 10:46 PM
looked at a G3 tonight at the shop before my smallbore league, pretty nice but i was a little shocked at the sticker.

How much?

I've seen a range of prices. If I find a nice one in 12 under $800 I'm on it. I have found a 20 for 699, but I want 12.

Local Gouger Mountain had one for $1100, but 10% off! The thing was discontinued in 08.

hotjava66
01-28-2010, 11:02 PM
was 1038.00 if i remember correctly

Knot 4 Me
01-29-2010, 09:26 AM
For sale ... ? :D I haven't come across one yet that hasn't been beat to hell.Definitely not beat to hell. I would dare to say it is in pristine condition. I'll have to get back to you on whether or not I would sell it.

insanity
01-29-2010, 07:20 PM
Definitely not beat to hell. I would dare to say it is in pristine condition. I'll have to get back to you on whether or not I would sell it.

If you have to think about it, it's not for sale. :sifone: If I had a cherry one, I'd just hang on to it. Would be great to see some pictures of it tho.

Trim'd Up
01-29-2010, 08:27 PM
My 1100 is from the early 70's I believe. It was my granddads and was rarely used. Browning Auto-5 was his go-to gun, and it shows it. There isn't a hint of bluing left on the thing. I will take some pics of the 1100 tonight.

RLJ676
02-03-2010, 08:49 PM
was 1038.00 if i remember correctly

Thanks.

That's not a great deal for a discontinued gun most people consider out-dated 20 years ago. I still want one though.

Knot 4 Me
02-05-2010, 02:39 PM
If you have to think about it, it's not for sale. :sifone: If I had a cherry one, I'd just hang on to it. Would be great to see some pictures of it tho.The 1100 is actually a Tournament, not a TB. The TB was traded for the Tournament. I had long since forgotten. The gun has only had a handful of shells shot through it. I will get some pics.

10x
02-12-2010, 10:29 PM
The Remingtons are great autoloaders. I've still got the 1st one my dad bought me back in 1967. 12 ga. 28 VR mod. Since then I bought 6 more back in the early 70's. some are still N.I.B. I loved the gun so much, I thought I'd buy a few more incase I ever wore out the original one. :rolleyes: LOL

Bought a few of the 1187's when they first came out back in the late 80's. The first one was a 30" RemChoke The next one was a 26" RC, then a slug gun, and then a matching skeet & trap set with beautiful wood. I use the 30" for waterfoul hunting, and the 26" for upland bird hunting.

Since I always love a challenge, I mainly shoot a Winchester Mod 12 pump. Makes it more entertaining when you have to concentrate on pumpimg the gun after each shot, and BTW, it'll make you a way better shot. I've out shot by buddies on a sporting clays coarses with my Mod 12's.
If you're looking for a real good auto, for a reasonable price, you can't beat the 1187. 3" chamber, and a choke tube bbl. If you decide on the Remington, just make sure you keep the magazine tube CLEAN, and DON'T put any oil on it, the oil is what makes them get gummy and jam up. Clean the tube after everytime you shoot the gun, and you'll probably never have an issue with it jammimg.

Good luck, and now let the hunt begin. :)